• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
subversus said:
So I just learned that you can control aperture on your lense if it is manual. I feel stupid because I knew it 5 years ago when I was using Canon which my granddad bought in 78.

Now a very important question - if I buy any manual lense and put it on my Nex-3 with adapter will I be able to control aperture? As I understood I can safely buy Pentax, Konica and Nikon manual lenses?

also the second question - will I be able to use these lenses on Canon eos33v with adapter and with no losses in quality?
If you want to use the MF lens on the EOS camera too, stick to Nikon, Pentax or M42 screw mounts. Konica is too short.

Donno if you body can meter correctly. It probably can.

luxarific said:
Images of the Sony factories (Sony makes all of Nikon's image sensors) in Thailand for anyone that is interested.

dN0KS.jpg

http://nikonrumors.com/2011/10/25/the-rumored-d800-delay-is-not-nikons-fault.aspx/

My thoughts go out to the workers and their families.

Looks so eery. Like you can reach out and grab it.

Zoe

Does anybody ever use the correction eyepieces? I don't think I'd use it outside of the house, but it seems cheap enough to try one out.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Zoe said:
Does anybody ever use the correction eyepieces? I don't think I'd use it outside of the house, but it seems cheap enough to try one out.

You mean those dioptre correction things? I really ought to get one, as out of habit I always flip my glasses up to look through the viewfinder, then find I can't see and flip them down again. the dioptre correction on the camera doesn't go far enough for my eyes.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
subversus said:
Now a very important question - if I buy any manual lense and put it on my Nex-3 with adapter will I be able to control aperture? As I understood I can safely buy Pentax, Konica and Nikon manual lenses?

also the second question - will I be able to use these lenses on Canon eos33v with adapter and with no losses in quality?

If it has an aperture ring you'll be able to stop down the lens yourself. All Canon and Sony NEX cameras come with the ability to use TTL and Stop Down metering so even without the camera knowing the exact aperture you've chose it still meters the light coming through the lens and giving you (what it thinks is) the right exposure.

You should be able to use said lenses on the EOS33v but the only question would be the quality of the stop down metering of this body. It should be good if Rebels are fine at it (as mine is).

On another note, the Zeiss 25/2 has been announced (redesigned 25/2.8)...

http://www.diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20111026_3-Zeiss25f2.html

BlueTsunami

subversus said:

You're correct, not sure of the brand though (this can be important when it comes to being able to focus at Infinity for certain mounts). Personally all my adapters are from Fotodiox and I shoot with lenses that contain M42 (135/3.5 Super Takumar), Nikon-F (Nikkor 28/2 AI) and Contax/Yashica (Zeiss 50/1.7) mounts.

tino

Banned
subversus said:

I have the first one. Its fine, I recommend it.

I have no experience with the 2nd one.

I only advise against the Nikon adapter I use. The one I brought its the one with aperture lever and a tripod base. It's around $35 for this one.

You don't want to buy the lens first?

BlueTsunami said:
You're correct, not sure of the brand though (this can be important when it comes to being able to focus at Infinity for certain mounts). Personally all my adapters are from Fotodiox and I shoot with lenses that contain M42 (135/3.5 Super Takumar), Nikon-F (Nikkor 28/2 AI) and Contax/Yashica (Zeiss 50/1.7) mounts.

Does your Fotodiox Nikon-NEX adapter let you focus to infinite correctly?

Zoe

phisheep said:
You mean those dioptre correction things? I really ought to get one, as out of habit I always flip my glasses up to look through the viewfinder, then find I can't see and flip them down again. the dioptre correction on the camera doesn't go far enough for my eyes.

Yeah. Though according to Nikon's site it seems like it doesn't exactly correspond to a glasses prescription, so I guess I'll have to wait till my next eye exam and ask about them.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Does your Fotodiox Nikon-NEX adapter let you focus to infinite correctly?

It focuses just past it a little bit which makes Infinity landscape photos a bit soft if I don't hit it correctly. This is preferable to the other issue though which is not being able to hit Infinity at all (usually due to an adapter that's too thick). My C/Y and M42 adapter are spot on though which I love. Just twist it to Infinity and I'm good.

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
It focuses just past it a little bit which makes Infinity landscape photos a bit soft if I don't hit it correctly. This is preferable to the other issue though which is not being able to hit Infinity at all (usually due to an adapter that's too thick). My C/Y and M42 adapter are spot on though which I love. Just twist it to Infinity and I'm good.

Damn it yours go pass infinity too?

AVclub

Zyzyxxz said:
Well if you must have those features then it can't be helped, also where are you located as we can't assume you can buy from Euroland or USA equally.
I'm in the New York/Tristate area of the USA.

tino

Banned
AVclub said:
I'm in the New York/Tristate area of the USA.

There is no way to buy newly release camera cheaply. There are ways to buy refub/discontinued camera cheaply. What you are buying is the camera version of new 2012 model Mini Cooper Coupe.

Pay up.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Damn it yours go pass infinity too?

Just the Nikkor but I think I lucked out with my M42 and C/Y adapter (which hit infinity exactly). I think the only adapters that are really built to hit infinity (and you can contact the manufacture about it) are the Fotodiox Pro Adapter (which also look very nice). I shoot with the lowly consumer ones. But even then I've read that mount tolerances on the camera itself can effect whether certain lenses will hit infinity correctly (and are more sloppy when compared to Film bodies of old) which is why even AF lenses go past infinity a bit (to account for this).

MRORANGE

so one of my friends wants a small photo printer at home, (6x4 prints) I was wondering if there thermo based or need ink cartridges to produce prints?
and which is a good one to use?

not really camera related but you guys would probably know better than anyone else on gaf.

tino

Banned
Somebody in Xitek (a Chinese photography forum) has gotten his hands on the NEX7 and the kit lens.

I have to say the photos he took with the kit lens are rather impressive.

edit: OK looks like most of the photos are heavily photoshoped. You can't really make any judgement except the kit lens has decent close focus distance.

edit2: He said he only get to keep it for 2 days. So the mythical NEX-7 is still unreachable by mere mortals.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Somebody in Xitek (a Chinese photography forum) has gotten his hands on the NEX7 and the kit lens.

I have to say the photos he took with the kit lens is rather impressive.

edit: OK looks like most of the photos are heavily photoshoped. You can't really make any judgement except the kit lens has decent close focus distance.

I've heard that Sony sensors in particular (and how Sony implements them) feature great color accuracy and tonality. I'm seeing that with the photos featuring the leafs and vibrant colors. Also extremely fine detail is even seen at websize.

These examples are definitely the best I've seen up to this point.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What old lenses should I consider other than Konica? I mean rather obscure ones like Samyang. Took a look at eBay last night, was baffled. Is it possible to get old Zeiss?

tino said:

I have to say the photos he took with the kit lens are rather impressive.

edit2: He said he only get to keep it for 2 days. So the mythical NEX-7 is still unreachable by mere mortals.

isn't the kit lens exactly the same as the current e-mount 18-55, just in black?

BlueTsunami

subversus said:
Is it possible to get old Zeiss?

Yep. There's two mounts you can consider. Carl Zeiss Jenna (make sure its M42 mount) or Contax/Yashica (C/Y) Zeiss.

The Carl Zeiss Jenna (or CZJ) are the cheaper of the two but are older (originally made in Germany). With this mount notable lenses would be the 35/2.4 Flektegon and the 135/3.5 Sonnar. The Sonnar can be had for relatively cheap and makes a great portrait lens.

The Contax/Yashica lenses can be expensive but you can get a huge amount of value out of said lenses vs. modern AF counterparts and they have tremendous build quality. There's also a good amount of legendary lenses in this lineup (like the 21mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2). But these also carry heavy price tags. There's also budget offerings like the 25mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7 and more that perform great. I personally own the C/Y 50/1.7 and it strikes a nice balance of relatively low price, small build quality and top notch IQ (even by today's standards). Here are some examples of the 50/1.7 on my Rebel XT (click to enlarge...)

This lens really shines stopped down. It picks up the smallest of small detail and has a nice look wide open. Extremely versatile but I think it has great strength as a landscape lens (good for stitching).

Basically the C/Y mount has a fantastic cahce of lenses if you want Zeiss lenses and not pay an arm and a leg for their modern Canon native mount lenses.

subversus

BlueTsunami

subversus said:
shots look fantastic.

Is this the one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-...46240511?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a1550c1ff

Dirt cheap, that's strange. There are other much more expensive offerings of the same lense.

and does it need this adapter - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-Yash...681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd9ead79
?

C/Y to E-Mount should be the adapter that you need and yeah, that ebay listing seems way too low. $100 is the base minimum for the lens (got mine for $150 from www.keh.com )

I also want to note that the dandelion shot was with 17mm extension tube. Don't expect that sort of close focusing with the lens by itself. The closest you'll be able to focus is represented in the leaf photo.

Damaged

Just a quick question regarding extension tubes, because there is no glass I should be okay picking up the cheaper sets right? as long as it has the contacts for the electronics and ideally a metal mount?

BlueTsunami

Damaged said:
Just a quick question regarding extension tubes, because there is no glass I should be okay picking up the cheaper sets right? as long as it has the contacts for the electronics and ideally a metal mount?

Yep. If you're using electronically controlled apertures then the contacts will obviously be needed. If you're using any manual glass (with an aperture ring) you can get a set of very cheap metal tubes for around $15 on Amazon (I use Fotodiox's set for my manual glass).

Damaged

BlueTsunami said:
Yep. If you're using electronically controlled apertures then the contacts will obviously be needed. If you're using any manual glass (with an aperture ring) you can get a set of very cheap metal tubes for around $15 on Amazon (I use Fotodiox's set for my manual glass).
Ill probably be using a mix of manual and AF lenses so will pick up a set with contacts, seen some on ebay for about £35 :D

tino

Banned
subversus said:
by the way I wonder if Konica 50/1.4 worth it. I heard that Canon 1.8 is better than 1.4 for some reason, don't know why people say this.

I got the older version 57/1.4. I am not comfortable with the 75mm focal length. 57mm translate to the classic 85mm portrait focal length on 1.5X and I like it better. I was told the 50/1.4 has better rating than the 57/1.4 on most measures. Make sure what your priority is, sharpness or Bokeh. And then read up on the forums or check out the samples on flickr.

Look if you can buy a good condition f/1.4 lens for $60 on any mount is worth it. Take a look at the Super Takumar screw mount lenses. All of them has been through a thousand hands they all look crap on the outside.

subversus

BlueTsunami said:
C/Y to E-Mount should be the adapter that you need and yeah, that ebay listing seems way too low. $100 is the base minimum for the lens (got mine for $150 from www.keh.com )

I also want to note that the dandelion shot was with 17mm extension tube. Don't expect that sort of close focusing with the lens by itself. The closest you'll be able to focus is represented in the leaf photo.

By the way. I don't know about lenses much but do they affect colors? I've read some discussions and people were talking about that. I thought it's about clarity and optical effects only.

verbum

subversus said:
By the way. I don't know about lenses much but do they affect colors? I've read some discussions and people were talking about that. I thought it's about clarity and optical effects only.

The more elements you have in a lens will mean less light passing through which affects color saturation of film or the sensor. And contrast will be affected as well.

tino

Banned
So per photorumors the GX1 will look like the GF1 and has 12mp just like the GF1. Huh?

BTW are you guys following the Olympus dcandal, I predict a Panasonic purchase soon.

BlueTsunami said:
If it has an aperture ring you'll be able to stop down the lens yourself. All Canon and Sony NEX cameras come with the ability to use TTL and Stop Down metering so even without the camera knowing the exact aperture you've chose it still meters the light coming through the lens and giving you (what it thinks is) the right exposure.

You should be able to use said lenses on the EOS33v but the only question would be the quality of the stop down metering of this body. It should be good if Rebels are fine at it (as mine is).

On another note, the Zeiss 25/2 has been announced (redesigned 25/2.8)...

http://www.diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20111026_3-Zeiss25f2.html

I had the 21mm ZE in mind for quite some time now. Depending on pricing and quality I might go with the 25mm instead, but I already own the 35mm F/2 as my main all around lens. Can't wait to see some comparisons shots.

verbum

tino said:
BTW are you guys following the Olympus dcandal, I predict a Panasonic purchase soon.

Now we know why Olympus used to price their equipment higher, had to pay those M&A fees. Panasonic would be a nice fit optic-wise. Is Leica big enough to think about it if Panasonic is blocked for some reason?

BlueTsunami

subversus said:

I believe color and light transmission go hand in hand and one of the major aspects of a lens that handles this is the lens coating. Zeiss's T* coating is very good in this regard and tends to give a very neutral rendition (in regards to warmth) but very punchy colors (and handles blues and reds beautifully). Their modern lenses are made to be a bit warm though while still maintaining their great color.

subversus

BlueTsunami said:
I believe color and light transmission go hand in hand and one of the major aspects of a lens that handles this is the lens coating. Zeiss's T* coating is very good in this regard and tends to give a very neutral rendition (in regards to warmth) but very punchy colors (and handles blues and reds beautifully). Their modern lenses are made to be a bit warm though while still maintaining their great color.

damn. choices, choices.

what about an extension tube? does it affect image quality somehow?

btw I tried Nex-3 at night, ISO800 is the highest ISO you can go without drastic losses in image quality. I think I'll be fine with 2.0 and less aperture + ISO 400-800 (mostly 400).

verbum said:
Now we know why Olympus used to price their equipment higher, had to pay those M&A fees. Panasonic would be a nice fit optic-wise. Is Leica big enough to think about it if Panasonic is blocked for some reason?

Leica is tiny and just got bought by a private equity group.

BlueTsunami

subversus said:
what about an extension tube? does it affect image quality somehow?

Most normal lenses will drop in IQ at distances beyond its Minimum Focus Distance. This drop in IQ comes in the from of spherical aberrations (the unsharp glow look you get from shooting certain fast lenses wide open). Stopping down helps but it won't be as good as a dedicated macro that's corrected for these distances. With that said shooting with tubes can be real fun and the spherical aberrations that are present can give the photo some character if used to some advantage.

Now if the lens is corrected for close up distances (like my Nikkor 28/2 AI) without being a macro lens then it'll take tubes very well. Any lens with a Floating Element will have great closeup performance.

BlueTsunami

So its pretty much been confirmed a few times over that the NEX-7 will not play well with non-retrofocus lenses like the Voigtlander 12/5.6 and 15/4.5 Super Wide Heliars. Other similar rangefinder lenses are effected to different degrees. This is bad in that you cannot adapt these lenses without smeared edges and color shift but it also means that Sony didn't stick with the miracle sensor contained in the C3 and 5N (which do play remarkably well with said lenses).

This also means you will not see high performing wide angle lenses that are small (the 16/2.8 being an average lens and is also being effected by corner issues that are improved on the C3 and 5N) since Sony have thrown a curve ball with the NEX-7's sensor. Its too bad they decided to not provide the solution contained in the C3 and 5N and started developing lenses that utilize the sensors ability to use lenses that sit very close to the sensor without having to be long enough so that light isn't being captured at extreme angles (basically smaller lenses).

In my dismay I've moved back to looking at the 5N and a newcomer (to me) the Ricoh GXR with M-Module. Sony needs to realize that a high performing wide angle lens that isn't a behemoth is something everyone wants.

tino

Banned
Wait for the Fuji announcement. 5N IMO is a clear winner. The Ricoh will allow you use a couple more Leica lenses than NEX but only useful if you actually have those Leica lenses. If you are going to get the Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 then high ISO performence is even more useful.

Another thing is I just dont see Ricoh commit to the GXR "system" now that they have Pentax. Although if you are going to use MF lens anyway it doesnt matter if you buy into a dead system.

tino said:
So per photorumors the GX1 will look like the GF1 and has 12mp just like the GF1. Huh?

So you're into the megapixels wars?

It is also heavily rumored to be using the G3 sensor with some new image processing engine. Its probably what matters more.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
Wait for the Fuji announcement. 5N IMO is a clear winner. The Ricoh will allow you use a couple more Leica lenses than NEX but only useful if you actually have those Leica lenses. If you are going to get the Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 then high ISO performence is even more useful.

Another thing is I just dont see Ricoh commit to the GXR "system" now that they have Pentax. Although if you are going to use MF lens anyway it doesnt matter if you buy into a dead system.

I'm definitely going to wait. I really want to see what Fuji does and my interest in the GXR has led me to a post that contained this article about Ricoh's future plans...

Ricoh eyes growth with camera push
http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/news/1101004/Ricoh-eyes-growth-camera-push/

Chas Moloney, Ricoh UK marketing director, said the company is now preparing a new product that will plug a gap in the market, which will be unveiled in 2012.

The base GXR body is pretty barebones (no viewfinder) so it'd be awesome to see a NEX-7 like premium body and maybe a larger resolution/physical size M-Module. It may be another product entirely though (a dedicated digital M-Mount body?).

2012 seems to be the Year of Mirrorless. Canon has been strangely quiet too.

All that aside I've been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen from their A12 Module (which is the M-Mount module for the GXR). Fantastic file quality at base ISO and looks good even up to its max ISO3200. It also has no AA filter so it has fantastic sharpness at the pixel level (which comes through in clarity, just like the Leica M9).

subversus

ok, Nex-3 turned out to be a pretty good camera, I'm enjoying IQ and slowly getting hang of using it. I can't imagine using it with a heavy and long lens though. But I need one zoom lens. I think about getting this one. This will go nice with a Minolta adapter and 1.7 or 1.4 Minolta lens.

tino

Banned
subversus said:
ok, Nex-3 turned out to be a pretty good camera, I'm enjoying IQ and slowly getting hang of using it. I can't imagine using it with a heavy and long lens though. But I need one zoom lens. I think about getting this one. This will go nice with a Minolta adapter and 1.7 or 1.4 Minolta lens.
You should try RAW. NEX3 really has one of the worse jpeg compression I have ever seen. I am setting up the software myself too.

Sony totally cheaped out on whatever component that need to properly make a jpeg. NEX3's jpg is so bad FCC or FTC should raid Sony's office for evidence of conspiracy.

subversus

tino said:
You should try RAW. NEX3 really has one of the worse jpeg compression I have ever seen. I am setting up the software myself too.

Sony totally cheaped out on whatever component that need to properly make a jpeg. NEX3's jpg is so bad FCC or FTC should raid Sony's office for evidence of conspiracy.

Yeah, I'm doing it in RAW anyway.

What do you mean by bolded?

BlueTsunami

New Zeiss brochures for their current line of lenses :drool

SLR: http://applications.zeiss.com/C1257...7772C125786900383853/$file/slr_leaflet_en.pdf

Rangefinder: http://applications.zeiss.com/C1257...38E484/$file/zeiss_ikon_system_leaflet_en.pdf

The Main Event said:
I had the 21mm ZE in mind for quite some time now. Depending on pricing and quality I might go with the 25mm instead, but I already own the 35mm F/2 as my main all around lens. Can't wait to see some comparisons shots.

From how the MTFs look, its going to be one hell of a lens wide open and gets extremely sharp stopped down. It doesn't look to have corner to corner sharpness like the 21/2.8 ZE but the MTFs read like it hits a nice balance between being great wide open and sharp enough for most of the frame stopped down.

is8MN3pWPmflv.png

Zyzyxxz

Played around with the Samsung nx200 today AMD its pretty lightweight with the kit 18-55 lens. Has enough options for controls and the iFn button makes things convenient. If they have a good evf for it then I will definitely consider it since the sensor is decent and better than m43 so far. Still gonna wait and see what Fuji has to offer.

Zyzyxxz

Also went to check out the Nikon v1 whic.h has a crazy ad campaign in Hong Kong right now.

I wrote it off based on sensor size but the overall package is attractive. The EVF is decent and auto activates when you put your eye up to it.

The lens I am not too crazy about no fast primes available yet but with a F mount adapter it should do.

I won't buy it but I do hope that the next iteration includes a much better sensor. Also lack of External control sorely sucks.

Gonna check put fujifilm x10 though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom