• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I noticed that too, but it's just if you just look at the scores only. When you read the details you can see the Canon is much better.

BTW when I'll be on vacation, I'm going to be always outdoor. I was thinking I'd need an image stabilization lense, and one to take wide shots since Chile has large open landscapes.

BTW any idea about the tripod? It is cumbersome to carry around? I'd like to take some long exposure shots in low light situations.

Zyzyxxz

Ether_Snake said:
I noticed that too, but it's just if you just look at the scores only. When you read the details you can see the Canon is much better.

BTW when I'll be on vacation, I'm going to be always outdoor. I was thinking I'd need an image stabilization lense, and one to take wide shots since Chile has large open landscapes.

BTW any idea about the tripod? It is cumbersome to carry around? I'd like to take some long exposure shots in low light situations.

If you are gonna be in sunlight you don't have to worry at all about image stabilization unless your hands shake like someone with Parkinsons.

It's nice to have when you are indoors and light is dim though.

Stalfos

Ether_Snake said:

It can definitely be cumbersome to carry around but it might be totally worth it depending on where you will be. Though if you are backpacking you might be able to strap a tripod to your pack to where its easy to deal with. You can also look into getting something small or light. Something like a Gorillapod might be useful if you don't want to carry around a full sized tripod.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Alright after looking into things a bit more I might go for the D7000 instead of the D90.

Where do you look for the best prices? So far I was just looking on Amazon, but I'm in Canada so I expect high shipping charges that I'd like to avoid.

For the tripod, the Gorillapod is really cool but actually looks like it might be less compact than a tripod and wouldn't allow to use it other than at low levels?

I'll be backpacking so yeah I can carry the tripod rather easily. The more compact the better.

well the point of the gorillapod is that you can attach it to practically anything at any level, like trees or lampposts. i love mine, and don't own a 'proper' tripod.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah but I'll be in wide open nature, chances are there will be very little to attach it to to get the shots I need.

edit: Any recommendation if I had to carry only one lens for my D7000? To give you an idea of the kind of places I'll be visiting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23678748@N07/5077475299/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aferrari/323144099/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chenderson/4864692432/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reevej/5778314575/

So it's rather open landscapes, but I'm thinking I need an all-around lens, not something too wide, since I'll be carrying only one lens and won't only take open landscape photos. Something good for most situations would be nice.

edit: After doing some more research, I might have to buy two lens. Might end up bringing just one though, so I'll likely get a wide lens, but I'll need a standard lens too. So I'm thinking a prime wide angle lens for landscape, and some standard zoom lens for other stuff. Or maybe the difference is not worth the cost, and I should just get a zoom lens and forget the prime lens?

Still any recommendation is welcome:)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Chef Cat said:
This is gonna sound so stupid... but how do I changd thd size pictures are saved onto my sd card as? What size should they be saved as?

Should be some option in the camera's menu. For the size, if you just want to share them on the web you can use the smallest size, but if you want to print them you should use the maximum resolution, otherwise it will be all blurry. The smaller the resolution, the more pics you can take.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah but I'll be in wide open nature, chances are there will be very little to attach it to to get the shots I need.

edit: Any recommendation if I had to carry only one lens for my D7000? To give you an idea of the kind of places I'll be visiting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23678748@N07/5077475299/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aferrari/323144099/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chenderson/4864692432/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reevej/5778314575/

So it's rather open landscapes, but I'm thinking I need an all-around lens, not something too wide, since I'll be carrying only one lens and won't only take open landscape photos. Something good for most situations would be nice.

edit: After doing some more research, I might have to buy two lens. Might end up bringing just one though, so I'll likely get a wide lens, but I'll need a standard lens too. So I'm thinking a prime wide angle lens for landscape, and some standard zoom lens for other stuff. Or maybe the difference is not worth the cost, and I should just get a zoom lens and forget the prime lens?

Still any recommendation is welcome:)
First of all, get a tripod. At least a decent one if you want to be for real about it. Carbon fibers are more expensive but very light and sturdy. If you want the best results out of your gear a tripod is a must. No point in spending lots of money on a nice camera and nice lenses to hand hold it. I hike all the time with my gitzo attached to my bag or with the camera mounted to the tripod and put it over my shoulder. Its not a big deal.

Secondly you don't need to limit your self to one lens for landscapes. Just about any lens can be used for landscapes, just depends on what you want to do. Wide angles are great for giving odd sense of perception or drawing something in very close while putting something distant in the back ground. Its also good for "getting everything in" but only noobs use wide angles that way. ;)

Telephotos are great for excluding parts of a scene from your field of view and for giving you a compressed look.

My recommendation would be get a standard zoom that is fairly wide to mid range telephoto, that way you have one lens you can use for wide angle to midrange distance. You can also use it to do panoramics by extending it to a normal focal length like 35mm-50mm and stitch the scene to gether.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I'm gonna have to get a tripod for sure, need for longer exposure shots anyway.

BTW I was planning on buying my D7000, body only, and buying a separate lens, but isn't it weird that this one comes with what appears to be a decent lens for a total of $1219??? Where's the catch? I know it's a basic kit lens, but it doesn't seem too bad actually. Maximum aperture isn't great but from what I've read anyway higher aperture tends to cause vignetting, at least on the lens I looked at that aren't over $500.

http://www.cameracanada.com/enet-cart/product.asp?pid=d70001855

tino

Banned
You get what you pay for. You can take great photos with a kit lens but other lenses are better. A kit lens worth about 70-100 on ebay.

If you are going to be hiking alot I suggest investing the extra money for a weather proof body (d7000/d300/d2x etc). It will come in a lot more handy than focus speed.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
tino said:
You get what you pay for. You can take great photos with a kit lens but other lenses are better. A kit lens worth about 70-100 on ebay.

If you are going to be hiking alot I suggest investing the extra money for a weather proof body (d7000/d300/d2x etc). It will come in a lot more handy than focus speed.

Yeah I'm going for the d7000.

no talk of the new panasonic gx1? i'm intrigued, and i like the direction it seems to be going because i thought the gf2 and 3 were a step back. not sure how it competes w/ the new e-p3 though, especially with regards to focus speed

Zyzyxxz

bggrthnjsus said:
no talk of the new panasonic gx1? i'm intrigued, and i like the direction it seems to be going because i thought the gf2 and 3 were a step back. not sure how it competes w/ the new e-p3 though, especially with regards to focus speed

it was rumored to be a NEX-7 competitor and failed to live up to expectations.

It's not all that exciting and the grip looks cheaply attached on and out of place.

A random question... Has anyone traveled within the US with camera equipment??

Im planning to visit the US, with the following in one bag:

Canon 7D
2 Batteries for 7D
24-105mm F4L
70-200mm 2.8L
50mm 1.4
11-16mm Tokina
Canon Flash 430 EX
Bunch of release cables, remotes and memory cards

Will i have any problems with the TSA? I really dont want any of my equipment to be confiscated, thanks.

sneaky77

zephervack said:

Canon 7D
2 Batteries for 7D
24-105mm F4L
70-200mm 2.8L
50mm 1.4
11-16mm Tokina
Canon Flash 430 EX

Will i have any problems with the TSA? I really dont want any of my equipment to be confiscated, thanks.

You shouldn't have issues. I had a Canon backpack when I went to Europe last yr with a bunch of camera equipment and also when I flew to Boston in March and had no issues at all.

Seth C

Okay, so I have my Lumix G3 with the kit lens. I need news lenses! Which ones should I buy? What are the must haves? Any inexpensive older lenses I could pick up with an adapter for playing with photo or video?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Seth C said:
Okay, so I have my Lumix G3 with the kit lens. I need news lenses! Which ones should I buy? What are the must haves? Any inexpensive older lenses I could pick up with an adapter for playing with photo or video?
check out oldschool 50mm, they are cheap have much better manual focus than modern lenses and the adapters are like 20 bucks.

sneaky77 said:
You shouldn't have issues. I had a Canon backpack when I went to Europe last yr with a bunch of camera equipment and also when I flew to Boston in March and had no issues at all.

Thank you, much needed peace of mind. :)

Seth C

captive said:
check out oldschool 50mm, they are cheap have much better manual focus than modern lenses and the adapters are like 20 bucks.

Thanks, but can you provide a bit more info? Perhaps links to some examples? Thanks.

I assume you mean an adapter like this and a lens like this?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I am currently shooting with a Rebel XSi, but find the girth of the camera to be a deterrent in that I tend to leave it home a lot because it's a hassle to drag around. For this reason I am considering switching to a Fuji X10 or (slim chance) x100. My 99% lens is a 50mm 1.4 prime so I am used to some flexibility with low light shooting but cursing it when I want a wide angle.

Any thoughts on this? Am I nuts?

golem

shantyman said:
I am currently shooting with a Rebel XSi, but find the girth of the camera to be a deterrent in that I tend to leave it home a lot because it's a hassle to drag around. For this reason I am considering switching to a Fuji X10 or (slim chance) x100. My 99% lens is a 50mm 1.4 prime so I am used to some flexibility with low light shooting but cursing it when I want a wide angle.

I would consider a micro 4/3s and 20mm f//1.7.

ChryZ

Seth C said:
I'd suggest the Panny 20mm F1.7, Olympus 45mm F1.8 and 12mm F2. All native m4/3 glass including AF, etc.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
shantyman said:

Lots of choices in the mirrorless sector and you're definitely not nuts. Even the bulk of a Rebel feels like a bit much to lug along when compared to mirrorless bodies. If the Fuji X10 is in your cross hairs I would take a look at the Olympus E-P3, Panasonic GF2 or Sony NEX-5N.

Zyzyxxz

shantyman said:

I was considering the Fuji X100 and X10 and after playing around with both I feel it would be a disadvantage at the same time compared to my D90.

I want to go mirror less as well to reduce weight and size so I'm waiting to see what Fuji announces early 2012 for their interchangeable lens camera.

BJK

I'm a bit of a DSLR neophyte, but I'm looking to make the step-up from my PowerShot A550 during the holiday sales season. Giving myself a crash course in f-stops, crop factors, and feature sets.

Had the opportunity to borrow my parents T1i & zoom lens for a baseball game last month (Go Brewers...next year!); the opportunity to swap lenses has me leaning heavily towards Canon.

Curious if anyone has thoughts on the T2i vs. the T3i. So far as I can tell, the only major difference is the articulated LCD viewscreen; while I can see it being useful, I tend to line-up my shots through the physical viewfinder.

...or would I be better off picking up a T3 and a better walking around lens (like the EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS) than the kit? How much of the difference in these cameras is noticeable, and how much is marketing speak?

ChryZ

BlueTsunami said:
Lots of choices in the mirrorless sector and you're definitely not nuts. Even the bulk of a Rebel feels like a bit much to lug along when compared to mirrorless bodies. If the Fuji X10 is in your cross hairs I would take a look at the Olympus E-P3, Panasonic GF2 or Sony NEX-5N.
It's prolly better to wait for the GX1 instead of going for a GF2 or GF3.

mcrae

good places to buy my first tripod in ontario, canada?

blacks pricematchs and has retail locations i believe?

its for a canon t2i with the kit 18-25mm lens, so i can take better night time pictures. hopefully something able to steady on sides of grassy hills and such

i really want to buy a zoom lens too.. probably too much money though. other option is to start having fun with post processing, since i dont know how to do pretty much anything. any good resources for that sort of thing? all i have is photoshop. is it worth it to shoot in RAW and use the camera's software?

rvd2kewl

sneaky77 said:
I would use it as a carry on and not checking it on baggage cause I wouldn't trust those assholes. But thats just me

Same thing I would do. My camera bag probably has about $4,500 worth of equipment inside. There's no way I'd take the chance of that stuff getting lost/stolen.

Hammer24

Banned
zephervack said:

Canon 7D
2 Batteries for 7D
24-105mm F4L
70-200mm 2.8L
50mm 1.4
11-16mm Tokina
Canon Flash 430 EX

I´m travelling four to five times a year to the US with an equipment bag pretty similar to yours. I take it as carry-on, only got double-checked once for a sniff test on the longer lenses. Otherwise, no trouble at all. :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Geek Squad called and my XTi is shot. :(
But I get a new camera. :) its funny. I NEVER buy extended warranties, but my wife did because it was a Christmas gift.

Thoughts on Ti3 vs 60D vs 7D?

I doubt I would consider leaving canon as I already have a fair little assortment of lenses for the mount.

I know very little about the T3i and 60D and how they stack up. Though I am not super hot on the articulated screen myself.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
sc0la said:
Geek Squad called and my XTi is shot. :(
But I get a new camera. :) its funny. I NEVER buy extended warranties, but my wife did because it was a Christmas gift.

Thoughts on Ti3 vs 60D vs 7D?

I doubt I would consider leaving canon as I already have a fair little assortment of lenses for the mount.

I know very little about the T3i and 60D and how they stack up. Though I am not super hot on the articulated screen myself.

I love the Canon EOS 60D.

It has the same focus as the 50D but it has a slightly bigger viewfinder. It loses the magnesium alloy shell.

To be honest, I didn't think much of the articulated screen until I realized its benefits. You flip it over to protect the screen and you can get some very interesting angles that a fixed screen would not be able to give. If you want to go "retro" like the old film days, just have the screen flipped over so you can't see it (a bonus is that it basically doubles battery life from like 1,300 shots to close to 3,000 shots).

They all have the same sensor, so I think the 60D fits my needs the best. The 7D is no slouch if you have the money. It has the magnesium alloy body, 100% viewfinder, 8 FPS, and the most advanced non 1D Autofocus system.

Crisco

Banned
So this Thailand flood may really put a damper in my holiday camera buying plans. After some research over the past few days, I decided I want a Sony Alpha SLT-A77 , but it's out of stock basically everywhere and the chances of a restock anytime soon seem slim. Apparently the factory that builds them in Thailand is literally underwater. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I've been having a merry few weeks deciding what to get in the way of a lighting setup. More-or-less settled on a couple of YN560s plus assorted triggers/stands/modifiers, but I have one blind spot: while I'm aiming to do a lot more in portraits and interiors, the bulk of what I do now is static flattish small-item stuff, which I am going to want to light (at least some of the time, and partially) from above. Managed just fine with reflected daylight in the summer but the short nights have rather messed things up.

Any suggestions for a sanely-priced boom thing to fit on a lightstand to hold a speedlight+mod about two feet to the side and pointing downwards? I'd use a spare person instead but there often isn't one around.

BlueTsunami

shantyman said:
Thanks for the pointers.

I forgot to say I want an optical viewfinder, which is one reason the Fuji cameras appeal to me.

The only thing I'd watch out for is the feel of the optical viewfinder from the Fuji X10. I've read some accounts saying that it's not that useful due to being only 85% coverage of the actual frame. The X100's viewfinder is definitely a beauty. The only viewfinder that stands up to the X100 is Sony's newest EVF for the NEX-5N. Its supposed to be nice and large and fixes some of the shortcomings of EVF's in general.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hcoregamer00 said:
I love the Canon EOS 60D.

It has the same focus as the 50D but it has a slightly bigger viewfinder. It loses the magnesium alloy shell.

To be honest, I didn't think much of the articulated screen until I realized its benefits. You flip it over to protect the screen and you can get some very interesting angles that a fixed screen would not be able to give. If you want to go "retro" like the old film days, just have the screen flipped over so you can't see it (a bonus is that it basically doubles battery life from like 1,300 shots to close to 3,000 shots).

They all have the same sensor, so I think the 60D fits my needs the best. The 7D is no slouch if you have the money. It has the magnesium alloy body, 100% viewfinder, 8 FPS, and the most advanced non 1D Autofocus system.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I only thought of the articulated screen as a failure point on the the hardware more than anything else. I doubt I would self portrait with it often, but It would be handy for ultra low vantage point shots, that I end up guessing and checking focus on because I don't want to lay on the ground in that area.

From the little time I played with the 7D, I love the viewfinder (!) and the 8 FPS, but honestly I can't justify the difference to upgrade while I am still unemployed.

Also nice to see that the wireless flash sync is on the 60D and T3i I thought that was 7D only.

I may wait until holiday circulars to see if any "deals" come down the pipe (from canon or BestBuy). But I am also wondering how close the 60D is to an update? don't want to be without for too long.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
BJK said:
I'm a bit of a DSLR neophyte, but I'm looking to make the step-up from my PowerShot A550 during the holiday sales season. Giving myself a crash course in f-stops, crop factors, and feature sets.

Had the opportunity to borrow my parents T1i & zoom lens for a baseball game last month (Go Brewers...next year!); the opportunity to swap lenses has me leaning heavily towards Canon.

Curious if anyone has thoughts on the T2i vs. the T3i. So far as I can tell, the only major difference is the articulated LCD viewscreen; while I can see it being useful, I tend to line-up my shots through the physical viewfinder.

...or would I be better off picking up a T3 and a better walking around lens (like the EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS) than the kit? How much of the difference in these cameras is noticeable, and how much is marketing speak?

T2i and T3i are near-as-dammit identical. Except for the flipout screen the T3i has more options for different image resolutions/proportions, built-in wireless for flash control and that's about it. So far as actually taking pictures is concerned they are the same thing, except the T2i is cheaper (and I'm very happy with it - like you, I'm so in the habit of holding the thing up to my face anything else would feel odd).

As for lenses, depends what you want to do. Haven't used the 18-135 - I have the EF-S 18-55 and the 55-250 but I find the 55-250 goes on for special purposes (zoos/shooting off top of buses/'go back to' shots, though I usually have it with me just in case). Maybe I'd use the 55-135 range more if I had it on-camera, but it isn't like I really miss it. There are probably better walkabout lenses around, and if that's what you are after, save on the body and spend the extra on the lens.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
BlueTsunami said:
The only thing I'd watch out for is the feel of the optical viewfinder from the Fuji X10. I've read some accounts saying that it's not that useful due to being only 85% coverage of the actual frame. The X100's viewfinder is definitely a beauty. The only viewfinder that stands up to the X100 is Sony's newest EVF for the NEX-5N. Its supposed to be nice and large and fixes some of the shortcomings of EVF's in general.

My biggest concern with the X10 is lessened ability for bokeh in photos. Coming from an SLR (especially the lens I use) would be difficult. I think I could get around the OVF issues on the X10.

I REALLY want the X100. If I make the plunge I'll post here. Anyone on GAF own one?

Flo_Evans

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah I'm gonna have to get a tripod for sure, need for longer exposure shots anyway.

BTW I was planning on buying my D7000, body only, and buying a separate lens, but isn't it weird that this one comes with what appears to be a decent lens for a total of $1219??? Where's the catch? I know it's a basic kit lens, but it doesn't seem too bad actually. Maximum aperture isn't great but from what I've read anyway higher aperture tends to cause vignetting, at least on the lens I looked at that aren't over $500.

http://www.cameracanada.com/enet-cart/product.asp?pid=d70001855

I have the d7000+kit lens

If you are planning on backpacking and just taking 1 lens, not a bad combo. That said I almost NEVER use the kit lens after I got some decent primes.

If I am going light (just carrying camera and 1 attached lens) I almost always prefer to take the 35mm 1.8 DX because:

1. it is much lighter/smaller
2. it is better optically
3. it is much faster in low light (1.8 vs. 3.5 is HUGE)
4. 105mm is not really enough magnification. It is a good length for portraits, but for real telephoto stuff like wildlife it falls way short of what you would want. It also loses allot of performance at that end.

FAKE EDIT:

ow wow! I just check out your link... that is not even the d7000 kit lens. That is a peice of junk that came out with the D40! It is supposed to come with the 18-105 VR ED for ~$1200 AVOID!

elsk

Banned
So, I'm going to get into Photography class next year, I'm studying Advertising. I need a camera, I've been looking for a good one (so I don't have to chance it a long time).

How good is the Canon EOS Rebel T2i for 660USD? Or there are better options for that price range? 660 is practically the top of my budget. And yes, I don't know anything about photography, but looking forward to change that in a couple of months :)

Thanks!

a176

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
I have the d7000+kit lens

If you are planning on backpacking and just taking 1 lens, not a bad combo. That said I almost NEVER use the kit lens after I got some decent primes.

If I am going light (just carrying camera and 1 attached lens) I almost always prefer to take the 35mm 1.8 DX because:

1. it is much lighter/smaller
2. it is better optically
3. it is much faster in low light (1.8 vs. 3.5 is HUGE)
4. 105mm is not really enough magnification. It is a good length for portraits, but for real telephoto stuff like wildlife it falls way short of what you would want. It also loses allot of performance at that end.

FAKE EDIT:

ow wow! I just check out your link... that is not even the d7000 kit lens. That is a peice of junk that came out with the D40! It is supposed to come with the 18-105 VR ED for ~$1200 AVOID!

the 55-200 vr is the best budget zoom ive used. definitely recommend it.

elsk said:
So, I'm going to get into Photography class next year, I'm studying Advertising. I need a camera, I've been looking for a good one (so I don't have to chance it a long time).

How good is the Canon EOS Rebel T2i for 660USD? Or there are better options for that price range? 660 is practically the top of my budget. And yes, I don't know anything about photography, but looking forward to change that in a couple of months :)

Thanks!
Short answer: Yes, it's absolutely sufficient if you want to learn about photography. You could even choose a cheaper camera, because as a rule of thumb it is always recommended to buy cheap bodys and better glass instead.
To achieve artistic abilities you don't need all the bells and whistles the more expensive bodies have. It's the indian that is shooting, not the arrow. ;-)

BlueTsunami

Shot my old and beat-up Canon 50/1.4 against (physically) my C/Y Zeiss 50/1.7 to show the size difference...

i5P3tlhDLyK8I.jpg

tino

Banned
Somebody on Xitek posted group shot of a couple of "non-DSLR" 35mm (equivalent focal length) "premium solutions." I am rehosting the images but you can see them in the original thread.

From left to right, you have Nex5+Zeiss E24, M9+SMLX35 f1.4, X100.

Both the Fuji and the Leica are pretty much the same size. I would say slightly more pocketable than the NEX combo.

tino said:
Somebody on Xitek posted group shot of a couple of "non-DSLR" 35mm (equivalent focal length) "premium solutions." I am rehosting the images but you can see them in the original thread.

From left to right, you have Nex5+Zeiss E24, M9+SMLX35 f1.4, X100.

Both the Fuji and the Leica are pretty much the same size. I would say slightly more pocketable than the NEX combo.

Yes, NEX with native lenses can be ridicuously bulky. A glaring flaw since its introduction.

But is that all you're trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom