• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddur

this thread is very long, so pardon me not able to read through all the comments.

i've a question, can u guys suggests me a very good DSLR camera around $500?

thanx

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
roddur said:
this thread is very long, so pardon me not able to read through all the comments.

i've a question, can u guys suggests me a very good DSLR camera around $500?

thanx

You may be able to get a Canon Rebel T2 for that price new or a T1i without lenses but $500 is around the "used" levels of certain modern DSLRs.

For instance, you can get a Canon Rebel XS with 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS, battery & charger for $399 on www.keh.com ...

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Di...-Outfits?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=1&cc=79269&r=WG&f

Or you could get the camera with no lens and buy the lens you want instead...

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Di...a-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=2&cc=79269&r=WG&f

I personally shoot with a Rebel XT and I'm fine with it as far as IQ goes but functionally its long in the tooth. I'd suggested going with a Rebel XS and above (T1i, T2, T2i and T3i etc). Anything below T1i does not record video.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
BlueTsunami said:
You may be able to get a Canon Rebel T2 for that price new or a T1i without lenses but $500 is around the "used" levels of certain modern DSLRs.

For instance, you can get a Canon Rebel XS with 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS, battery & charger for $399 on www.keh.com ...

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Di...-Outfits?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=1&cc=79269&r=WG&f

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Di...a-Bodies?s=1&bcode=DC&ccode=2&cc=79269&r=WG&f

I personally shoot with a Rebel XT and I'm fine with it as far as IQ goes but functionally its long in the tooth. I'd suggested going with a Rebel XS and above (T1i, T2, T2i and T3i etc). Anything below T1i does not record video.

This is good advice. The Rebel line is really nice for getting into photography and you can get the slightly older models for pretty cheap. I started out of an XSI. One of my most popular shots was shot using that and a kit lens, even though I have much fancier gear now.

Nikon owner here, D7000. I want to shoot low light video, and have the 50mm f/1.8.

Is the 35mm f/1.8 worth it for videos? It's $200... feedback would be helpful

Zyzyxxz

Major Williams said:
Nikon owner here, D7000. I want to shoot low light video, and have the 50mm f/1.8.

Is the 35mm f/1.8 worth it for videos? It's $200... feedback would be helpful
Having owned both the 35 and 50 and a D90 when I have done some video I laways felt that the 50 wasn't wide enough but then again 35 was too short sometimes. I would probably just use the 18-55 kit unless you must have that depth of field of fast primes.

roddur

BlueTsunami said:

thank u very much for ur info.

also when it comes to lenses i see they r very expensive. do i've to buy canon lenses? is there any standard among the brands?

tino

Banned
Meh. Its Sigma. And its a consumer zoom. You might as well buy the cheaper version and save money for a midrange one, or a third party used 70-200mm f/2.8 pro lens.

You may not care about these focal length after you try it out. I personally don't.

So, as i enjoy this thread a lot and this is gear related...

I recently participated and won the best picture of one of the Worldwide Photo Walk Contest locations, as a prize they gave me a copy of Light it, Shoot it and Retouch it by Scott Kelby.

Anyway, im so broke right now that i cant afford the shipping of the book to Canada, so im gonna give it away to whoever wants it, its a code and you redeem it at the Scott Kelby website, all you have to pay is shipping which im sure is way cheaper within the U.S.

So yeah just shoot me a PM.

Its been claimed...

a176

Banned
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/03/the-canon-hollywood-event-liveblog/

201111035816.jpg

Thraktor

Look at this shot, though:

201111035819.jpg

The camera on the left is different, it has a DSLR-style viewfinder hump to it, but with the red "C" marking. A spiritual follow-up to the 5D Mk 2, perhaps?

Edit: Then again, I don't expect either camera, or the new lenses, to be priced anywhere near the budgets of us mere mortals.

BlueTsunami

Big ol' meh on the Canon announcement. Fortunately stuff like the 5MKII have been dropping in price a little so that's great for the semi-pro.

a176

Banned
Thraktor said:
Look at this shot, though:

201111035819.jpg

The camera on the left is different, it has a DSLR-style viewfinder hump to it, but with the red "C" marking. A spiritual follow-up to the 5D Mk 2, perhaps?

Edit: Then again, I don't expect either camera, or the new lenses, to be priced anywhere near the budgets of us mere mortals.

yea, looks like a 1d body

If you're a photographer, sure it's meh. Because it's not made for photography. If you are like me and do photography and video, this is looking to be awesome. A HUGE upgrade in Canon's video line. Glad they didn't release a new XL.

And it's not even close to a 1D body.

201111035817.jpg

Thraktor

a176 said:
yea, looks like a 1d body

A video-oriented 1DC to go along with the new 1DX, perhaps?

bluerei said:
If you're a photographer, sure it's meh. Because it's not made for photography. If you are like me and do photography and video, this is looking to be awesome. A HUGE upgrade in Canon's video line. Glad they didn't release a new XL.

I would be really happy with it for the video capabilities, but I know I'm never going to be able to afford one. Hopefully it'll push second-hand 5D Mk II prices down to something I can afford, though!

And it's not even close to a 1D body.

There are two different cameras in the shot I posted above. The one in the middle is the new C300, and doesn't look anything like a 1D. The camera on the left, though, is different (note the DSLR-style viewfinder hump), but has the same red C mark on it. I presume they'll announce it a bit later in the event.

Thraktor said:
There are two different cameras in the shot I posted above. The one in the middle is the new C300, and doesn't look anything like a 1D. The camera on the left, though, is different (note the DSLR-style viewfinder hump), but has the same red C mark on it. I presume they'll announce it a bit later in the event.

The other camera could be the PL version.

Thraktor

Perhaps, but this doesn't look like a standard EOS mount:

201111035813.jpg

Which would make sense, as (with a shorter flange distance by removing the mirror-box) they could then provide adapters for either EOS or PL mount lenses for the same camera, similarly to Sony's NEX videocams.

Thraktor said:
Perhaps, but this doesn't look like a standard EOS mount:

201111035813.jpg

Which would make sense, as they could then provide adapters for either EOS or PL mount lenses for the same camera, similarly to Sony's NEX videocams.

Like I said, that's the PL version. That is a PL mount.

Thraktor

Ah, I see. But, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't PL mount have a longer flange distance than EOS? Meaning it wouldn't be possible to fit EOS lenses on this camera?

It's just a little puzzling, as their tagline was "Cinema EOS".

Edit: Reread your post. Yeah, I think I understand it now (although I still think they could have released a version with adapters for both mounts, unless the EOS one is FF).

Thraktor said:
Ah, I see. But, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't PL mount have a longer flange distance than EOS? Meaning it wouldn't be possible to fit EOS lenses on this camera?

It's just a little puzzling, as their tagline was "Cinema EOS".

From the look of the screen grabs, there is an EOS mount version and a PL mount version. Regardless of which, it's easy to convert since this is full frame.

Thraktor

That other camera's not the EF mount, there's a shot of them next to each other, and they both look the same:

201111036060.jpg

Edit: And confirmation on the 4K resolution, although I'm not sure why they say it's only with the EF lenses.

Engadget said:
The C300 can handle both EF and PL mount lenses, has a Super 35mm CMOS sensor, and delivers 4K resolution with the new EF lenses.

tino

Banned
This is basically RED competitor right. I don't think its designed for wedding photographers.

The work flow need to be very simple for the amateurs to pick it up. Its not just the matter of initial cost.

Thraktor

Given that they haven't said what that other camera is yet (and we're already into the panel discussion, so I certainly don't imagine they're going to announce a new camera now), it's entirely possible that it's a 1DX and it's just there to show that the new EF cine-lenses work with normal EOS stills cameras. I don't know why they'd plaster a red C on it in that case, but it would make sense for them to show a regular EOS camera with one of the new lenses on it.

luoapp

Thraktor said:
Given that they haven't said what that other camera is yet (and we're already into the panel discussion, so I certainly don't imagine they're going to announce a new camera now), it's entirely possible that it's just there to show that the new EF cine-lenses work with normal EOS stills cameras. I don't know why they'd plaster a red C on it in that case, but it would make sense for them to show a regular EOS camera with one of the new lenses on it.

A red "C" basically means it can do 4k lossless video, I guess.

Thraktor

luoapp said:
A red "C" basically means it can do 4k lossless video, I guess.

Sorry, I edited my post after I realized I left out the important bit. My point was that it's just a normal 1DX, and it's just there to show that the lenses work with existing EOS cameras.

a176

Banned
well RED's presser is in about 20min. they strategically placed it after canon's so people can compare.

the thing is, RED SCARLET should be less than half the price of the canon (ive read around 5-7k) ... will be interesting for sure

Thraktor

BlueTsunami

Hahahahaha. I definitely wouldn't put it past Canon intentionally gimping their DSLRs at the software level now that they've got this dedicated Pro body in place. RAW output should be standard for any Photo/Video hybrid body that can handle it. Hell, a hacked GF2's RAW video looks glorious compared to Sony's and Canon's own output.

a176

Banned
scarlet 24p @ 4k @ 50mbit @ red raw codec for a bit under 10k, lol price went way up but not lolcanon20thousanddollars

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys, what is the best site to compare cameras? I need to buy myself a DSLR before I go on vacation again in a few months, and I have a few things I'd like to have due to the kind of shots I'd take (pretty much all outdoor, in bright and dark conditions, etc.), so I want to compare some cameras.

The OP has little info for an OT thread:)

BlueTsunami

Ether_Snake said:
Guys, what is the best site to compare cameras? I need to buy myself a DSLR before I go on vacation again in a few months, and I have a few things I'd like to have due to the kind of shots I'd take (pretty much all outdoor, in bright and dark conditions, etc.), so I want to compare some cameras.

Compare in which way? Specs or the IQ in different lighting situations? Specs should be easily compared on sites like DPreview or DXO but real world IQ is a little harder. For IQ in actual shooting scenarios I just browse Flickr with the equipment and shooting style I want to see.

Fireye

Ether_Snake said:

If you want to compare cameras technically, then this site is pretty good at it:
http://snapsort.com/compare

tino

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

Just about every entry level DSLR can do what you plan to do.

tino

Banned
So I have a 1-week roadtrip coming up. Here is a group photo of my army of mismatched camera, lenses and accessories before I packed.

Its too cold to do a road trip in Nov, but multiple plans with friends failed through so my wife and me decided to make the best of it and drive to Virginia.

Worked all year and finally have some slow time to take pictures, I am really looking forward to it.

I just got my first ever DSLR, Canon Rebel T3i! Got a EF 50mm f1.4 lens to go with it, i'm so excited. Any tips very welcome, hoping to get better with it and take great shots like you guys do.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fireye said:
If you want to compare cameras technically, then this site is pretty good at it:
http://snapsort.com/compare

Thanks for the link. So far I'm thinking of getting the Nikon D90

I don't care for video btw, what I need is great color range, good ISO.

Since it doesn't have image stabilization, I'm guessing I should bring a tripod along, especially if I'd like to take some longer-exposure shots? I want to go to Chile and hopefully see some space observatories, and I'd like to take night-time shots of them with the stars visible, etc.

Zyzyxxz

Ether_Snake said:
Thanks for the link. So far I'm thinking of getting the Nikon D90

I don't care for video btw, what I need is great color range, good ISO.

Since it doesn't have image stabilization, I'm guessing I should bring a tripod along, especially if I'd like to take some longer-exposure shots? I want to go to Chile and hopefully see some space observatories, and I'd like to take night-time shots of them with the stars visible, etc.

Nikon doesn't do in body stabilization and neither does Canon, you would have to buy a lens that has it. Either VR for Nikon or IS for Canon.

I have a D90 and its pretty good for 1000 ISO normally and 1600 is a bit grainy but can be acceptable sometimes.

nitewulf

what is the best compact camera these days? something with an f/2 or faster lens may be? very good ambient low light capabilities?

nitewulf said:
what is the best compact camera these days? something with an f/2 or faster lens may be? very good ambient low light capabilities?
Panasonic LX5 (F2.0)
Canon S100 (F2.0)
Olympus XZ-1 (F1.8)
Samsung TL500/EX1 (F1.8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom