• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this might be a passing hobby don't spend too much but I would go for the T3i since its newer but the T2i isn't bad either and if the price is reasonable compared to T3i and you want that zoom lens go for it.

No she's wanted a good camera for years and has promised she'll use it for our trips and such.

element

BorrowLenses just released a coupon for free week with 10 day rental. 'freeweek'

I ended up renting a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC. I've rented it before from LensRentals, and it is great. I really wish I bought it six or seven months ago, since they have gone up $200 in that time.

luoapp

No she's wanted a good camera for years and has promised she'll use it for our trips and such.

I know that feeling and you won't be able to scratch that itchy with a P&S. If I am buying for myself, I will get that $399.99 EPL1 Olympus bundle ( unless she really want to try video). It's a crazy value for $400: two lenses + EPL1 + bag + SD. I can assure you, even after two years of use, you can still sell those for about the same amount of money. Now you just need to let her understand, those "mirrorless" cameras are also "serious" cameras.

Zyzyxxz

Now you just need to let her understand, those "mirrorless" cameras are also "serious" cameras.

Yup I just sold my D90 a few weeks ago and right now just bought a used GF2 body for only $200.

I am now part of the Micro 4/3rds club. Now off to buy a Nikon to M4/3 adapter!

Has anyone experience with Sony's SLT cameras?

Are the lens nice, do the cameras feel well built, any oddities?

Thanks.

You mean the SLTs and not the NEXs? Well they're basically standard Alpha SLRs aside from a semi-transparent mirror and EVF. So the lenses they use are the same A-mount ones as the rest of the lineup. Aside from that, they're very well-built and full-featured for their respective classes (the A77 is weather-sealed) and I guess the only real oddities would be slightly less IQ due to the mirror, and the standard EVF quirks.

Sony execs seem to be hinting that all of their traditional SLRs will be phased out in favor of SLTs.

Zyzyxxz

SLT's are also slighter less bulkier than traditional SLR's as well.

Also can someone recommend me a brand for M4/3 adapters so I can use my Nikon lenses on it?

cbox

Canada gaf, I'm gonna pick up a 70-200 is ii soon as its $2069 in the us and $2600 in Canada, has anyone dealt with b&h shipping and customs? Just wondering what your experience was, cant wait to finally order it!!

nitewulf

Just saw a used GF2 body for only $210, damn so tempted I think I may finally jump on it.

see if you can find a used GF1 instead, i haven't used the GF2 but i heard its a lot more simplified in terms of manual controls, the GF1 has a lot of manual options and gives you a lot of control, very intuitive. With the 20mm f/1.7 lens....it's a very small, very powerful combo, takes lovely photos in any situation. I'll post some shots I took recently at Vegas and LA.

Zyzyxxz

see if you can find a used GF1 instead, i haven't used the GF2 but i heard its a lot more simplified in terms of manual controls, the GF1 has a lot of manual options and gives you a lot of control, very intuitive. With the 20mm f/1.7 lens....it's a very small, very powerful combo, takes lovely photos in any situation. I'll post some shots I took recently at Vegas and LA.

I went with the GF2 anyway, the next closest GF1 I could find was $100 more which doesn't seem like much but this is a somewhat throwaway purchase for me since I don't know if I'll stick with the M4/3 format.

I'm still waiting for Fuji's new ILC so not having a ILC camera for the moment limited me since I only have an old Nikon FG 35mm camera.

You can use the default Purolator option for shipping to Canada and they will take care of taxes, custom fees, etc...

Or you can use UPS Worldwide Saver and get it in one day and pay the taxes at the door.

Either way it works out to be about the same but you do get it quicker with UPS Worldwide Saver.

Canada gaf, I'm gonna pick up a 70-200 is ii soon as its $2069 in the us and $2600 in Canada, has anyone dealt with b&h shipping and customs? Just wondering what your experience was, cant wait to finally order it!!

But I want to come in!

I don't think I'd go overboard........an 18-55 and a telephoto would really be all I wanted for the first few years..........I think

jet1911

Quick question for you guys. Canon T2i or Nikon D3100? They'll be almost the same price during the boxing day (the D3100 is like 30$ less).

luiztfc

Guys, a friend of mine is going to the US and I'll ask him to buy me a SB-700. I was planning on buying it on Amazon and having it delivered at his hotel (mainly due to sales tax and practicality). However, I don't know if the hotel will allow this and I was thinking about giving him the money to buy it on a brick and mortar store. My question is: do prices float much on US stores or do they tend to be the same as Amazon's?

Quick question for you guys. Canon T2i or Nikon D3100? They'll be almost the same price during the boxing day (the D3100 is like 30$ less).

I made this exact same decision about 6 months ago and went with the T2i. Much better video capabilities and I liked the layout/menu better. I would advise you to go to a camera store or Best Buy and see which one feels better in your hands.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
But I want to come in!

I don't think I'd go overboard........an 18-55 and a telephoto would really be all I wanted for the first few years..........I think

Hell, go for it. I'm not sure the prices will ever come down quite that much for new, but the Canon D1100 (T3 over there I think, not to be confused with the T3i) doesn't seem all that far off.

It's only a money sink if you can't restrain yourself afterwards. (*looks down shamefacedly*)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Got a new (old) lens for Christmas. Specifically asked my parents to get me a Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai for $99 off www.keh.com. The lens is known as one of Nikons best for portraiture. Nearly pristine glass but the focus ring is a bit stiff (but usable), perfectly fine for bargain quality. Was able to shoot with it today and really dig its rendering style. Some shots from this morning and later in the day...

It has a beautifully soft and diffused look wide open (but still sharp) and the bokeh is to die for but gets very, very sharp and contrasty when stopped down (as seen in the brick well photo). Really happy with this lens.

tino

Banned
Was the top one wide open? Thats very sharp for $99. A bit on the colder side, yes?

I am trying to get rip off my spare lens to raise fund for a NEX 16mm.

Anyone interest in a NEX-Nikon G adapter? With tripod mount for $25.

I also have a Pentax A mount Tokina 28mm 2.8 manual lens for $25

A new Konica AR mount manual focus Tokina 200mm f.3.5 for $50.

Don't ask me why I keep getting Tokina lenses.

BlueTsunami

Was the top one wide open? Thats very sharp for $99. A bit on the colder side, yes?

Yep, top one was wide open. It has a bit of spherical aberration present that prevents it from getting as sharp as its able to but I believe this effect lends to the very diffused bokeh. It also definitely has a cooler rendition which I tend to prefer mostly. I thought Zeisses had the coldest color rendition and was shocked to find out the Nikkors from this era actually render even colder.

Zyzyxxz

Got a new (old) lens for Christmas. Specifically asked my parents to get me a Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai for $99 off www.keh.com. The lens is known as one of Nikons best for portraiture. Nearly pristine glass but the focus ring is a bit stiff (but usable), perfectly fine for bargain quality. Was able to shoot with it today and really dig its rendering style. Some shots from this morning and later in the day...

Wow I might want to pick it up for use on my Nikon FG (film) and newly purchased GF2.

Dang that would be a 210mm on the GF2's crop factor.

BlueTsunami

great shots blue

Thanks!

Wow I might want to pick it up for use on my Nikon FG (film) and newly purchased GF2.

Dang that would be a 210mm on the GF2's crop factor.

Yeah, 210mm is definitely extremely long for immediate area stuff (experienced this with my Super Tak 135/3.5). This 105mm acts like a 160mm lens on my Rebel XT which I think is dramatically more usable than 210mm, especially for people photography. The focal length should feel awesome on your Nikon FG though.

I now own a Rebel T3i :)

Time to learn this thing

401422_10100545337122320_48906369_58655833_544693267_n.jpg

Quick shot I took on fully auto settings.........there was a squirrel I was trying to get but he ran away too fast so I took tree pics

Holy crap. I was gievn a 5D Mark ii for christmas and my birthday. Wasnt expecting this. I have been using a T2i for awhile now. Have the Kit lens 18-55mm, an okay nifty fifty and a meh 70-200mm telephoto zoom.

Im going to be selling those to buy two new lenses.

Now its just the body of the 5D. So from my habits I know what I want. Help me find my new lenses!!

Most important for both isnworks well with video and low lightt so a nice apeture is good. I Iam mainly looking for better versions of the 99$ nifty fifty I have and The 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens. I dont care if its Canon, Sigma w.e price range for lenses can be about 6-700

Aywhere 15-100 mm and between. Im looking for a good replacement lens. I dont need lots of zoom, never really use anything above 100. I want this to be my standard lens, looking for a better version of what I get out of the kit lens, with maybe a larger apeture. If I can get more range than 18-55 that would be great as well.

For the 50mm replacement I would LOVE a macro lens. I want something that can offer close to 1:1 at least 2:1 again video quality is important for me as well. I want tobe able to get up close to objects with this lens, doesnt need to be at 50mm either. I just want thatbeautiful depth of field and I want macro capabilities.

Zyzyxxz

Holy crap. I was gievn a 5D Mark ii for christmas and my birthday. Wasnt expecting this. I have been using a T2i for awhile now. Have the Kit lens 18-55mm, an okay nifty fifty and a meh 70-200mm telephoto zoom.

Now its just the body of the 5D. So from my habits I know what I want. Help me find my new lenses!!

Most important for both isnworks well with video and low lightt so a nice apeture is good. I Iam mainly looking for better versions of the 99$ nifty fifty I have and The 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens. I dont care if its Canon, Sigma w.e price range for lenses can be about 6-700

Aywhere 15-100 mm and between. Im looking for a good replacement lens. I dont need lots of zoom, never really use anything above 100. I want this to be my standard lens, looking for a better version of what I get out of the kit lens, with maybe a larger apeture. If I can get more range than 18-55 that would be great as well.

For the 50mm replacement I would LOVE a macro lens. I want something that can offer close to 1:1 at least 2:1 again video quality is important for me as well. I want tobe able to get up close to objects with this lens, doesnt need to be at 50mm either. I just want thatbeautiful depth of field and I want macro capabilities.

What about a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L or 24-105 f4 L? Both are out of you price range but only things I can think of that fit your needs for a mid tele zoom.

giga

Macro:
Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, $350
Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, $400
Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, $500

Fast prime:
Canon 50mm 1.4, $350
Canon 85mm 1.8, $400

Zoom:
Tamron 28-75 2.8, $450

Remember the field of view will be wider on a full frame. (50mm on an APS-C body is really 80mm in full frame terms)

Macro:
Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, $350
Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro, $400
Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, $500

Fast prime:
Canon 50mm 1.4, $350
Canon 85mm 1.8, $400

Zoom:
Tamron 28-75 2.8, $450

Remember the field of view will be wider on a full frame. (50mm on an APS-C body is really 80mm in full frame terms)

Amazing. I came back in here to ask about the Tamron see if anyone knows about it. Low and behold my research was nothing to your vast knolwedge. Now I get to look at all these beautiful lenses. Thanks!!

So I just asked as a gift I got a used Nikon d50 and a couple of lenses. It's great, but I also know it's an older camera.

when I look up the price online I see it sells for more than a newer Nikon like the d5100.

any idea why? would it be good to sell it and upgrade? do cameras retain their value well or something?

any advice would be appreciated.

tino

Banned
I don't know about high used price. The price I see on ebay is close to $150. D50 is one of very few entry level Nikon that can use both new lens with the AF motor built in and the old screw drive AF lenses. So you can buy any old Nikon AF lens without worry about compatibility. Although it can't meter with manual lenses.

Also it has a build-in electric shutter like the D1x, so flash sync speed can go as high as 1/500s.

If you can sell the D50 for a high price then by all means sell it and buy a newer Nikon body.

I don't know about high used price. The price I see on ebay is close to $150. D50 is one of very few entry level Nikon that can use both new lens with the AF motor built in and the old screw drive AF lenses. So you can buy any old Nikon AF lens without worry about compatibility. Although it can't meter with manual lenses.

Also it has a build-in electric shutter like the D1x, so flash sync speed can go as high as 1/500s.

If you can sell the D50 for a high price then by all means sell it and buy a newer Nikon body.

You're right. its weird. on Amazon a new body is selling for 1000. while the d5100 body sells for 800...

I guess I should just stay with this and learn.

tino

Banned
You're right. its weird. on Amazon a new body is selling for 1000. while the d5100 body sells for 800...

I guess I should just stay with this and learn.

Yeah but you don't have a new body. Tell us the detail of your lenses first. They may not even work on the 5100.

Yeah but you don't have a new body. Tell us the detail of your lenses first. They may not even work on the 5100.

No, what I was getting at was that the new d50 sells for more than the new d5100. I found that weird.

Thank you very much for the fast help btw.

rage1973

My 16-35 2.8 II USM came in a few days ago. The deal was too good to pass up on amazon.com and I now have 16-35, 24-70, and 70-200 2.8 II IS USM. I am going to start collecting prime lens now starting with 50mm 1.2.

Should I bother with this lens? I can get it used for 120 dollars Canadian..........

Canon EF USM 100-300mm F/4.5-5.6

Anyone have experience with it? On a t3i?

Alright. Need your help GAF. Should I buy the 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4 both Canon lenses for a 5D Mark ii so it's full frame.

I decided to buy a prime and zoom. Already orderd the Tamron, but I decided I want the fast prime. I will be waiting on the macro for later on, I want something that can easily do 1:1 and with a short focal distance so Im going to wait for a better budget and more time to look into it.

Im having trouble choosing the lens. So far research has told me the 85 has a better bohkeh and sharpness, but I am finding many other prople saying they get better results form the 50mm.

I am leaning towards the 85 mostly because sme people said the 50 is less reliable hardware and not as fast or sharp. Although the minimus focal length on the 85 is 2.8 feet which is concerning for how far that is.

Any suggestions?

BlueTsunami

Alright. Need your help GAF. Should I buy the 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4 both Canon lenses for a 5D Mark ii so it's full frame.

I decided to buy a prime and zoom. Already orderd the Tamron, but I decided I want the fast prime. I will be waiting on the macro for later on, I want something that can easily do 1:1 and with a short focal distance so Im going to wait for a better budget and more time to look into it.

Im having trouble choosing the lens. So far research has told me the 85 has a better bohkeh and sharpness, but I am finding many other prople saying they get better results form the 50mm.

I am leaning towards the 85 mostly because sme people said the 50 is less reliable hardware and not as fast or sharp. Although the minimus focal length on the 85 is 2.8 feet which is concerning for how far that is.

Any suggestions?

Both lenses are fantastic and you'll be shooting with some of the best optics with either one. I'd honestly think about the focal length you'd use most often. The working distance between 50mm and 85mm is noticeable. 85mm on FF will be great for singling out detail and for head and shoulders portraiture. 50mm can easily be a general walkaround lens on FF.

That aspect aside, the 50mm definitely has an inferior build quality when compared against the 85mm. The 85mm definitely focuses faster too (the 50mm has some weird Micro USM that can break easily). The 85mm should have bokeh (better being more diffused) also.

Not to open a can of worms but the more interesting comparison would be the Sigma 50/1.4 against the Canon 85. The Sigma has great build quality, focuses relatively quick and has phenomenal IQ (in sharpness, contrast and bokeh). Its Out of Focus rendering is very diffused for a 50mm lens, almost Leica like. The can of worms in this case is having to deal with the Sigma Lottery of getting a lens that works as intended (badly calibrated AF). I haven't heard much about bad Sigma 50's in a while but I think the danger is still there. I think its worth the danger if you want a 50mm lens.

Both lenses are fantastic and you'll be shooting with some of the best optics with either one. I'd honestly think about the focal length you'd use most often. The working distance between 50mm and 85mm is noticeable. 85mm on FF will be great for singling out detail and for head and shoulders portraiture. 50mm can easily be a general walkaround lens on FF.

That aspect aside, the 50mm definitely has an inferior build quality when compared against the 85mm. The 85mm definitely focuses faster too (the 50mm has some weird Micro USM that can break easily). The 85mm should have bokeh (better being more diffused) also.

Not to open a can of worms but the more interesting comparison would be the Sigma 50/1.4 against the Canon 85. The Sigma has great build quality, focuses relatively quick and has phenomenal IQ (in sharpness, contrast and bokeh). Its Out of Focus rendering is very diffused for a 50mm lens, almost Leica like. The can of worms in this case is having to deal with the Sigma Lottery of getting a lens that works as intended (badly calibrated AF). I haven't heard much about bad Sigma 50's in a while but I think the danger is still there. I think its worth the danger if you want a 50mm lens.

Youre killin me guy. Haha. Actually this is valuable information. I think I want a 50mm but after reading about the canon 50mm I decided against it. Now I gotta look at this sigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom