• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Awesome, thanks alot for that. We are going to read the manual first (wife is doing that right now, it is her camera), then after just go nuts and take alot of pictures. Thanks for the web sites, I'm gonna take a look at them after work.

We've already taken some pictures, and oh man what a difference. Pictures are never blurry (my wife does not have a steady hand), it is awesome.

Don't read the manual, it will take the fun out of it. Just stick to AV and TV modes. You can even post a picture you really like and ask the forum how the photo was taken.

Nothing kills hobby boner faster than reading manual and taking classes. If you are an art or journalism majot its a different story.

soldat7

Difference is largely due to the tilting LCD screen available on the T3i, allowing you to e.g. watch the level of focus when recording yourself on the camera, or wanting to take group photographs with no behind the camera. If the price difference isn't an issue I would definitely go for the T3i.

Amazon seems to offer better deals as well. Remember, you'll also need an SD card (Class 10 for HD video recording), a bag and perhaps even a tripod. Take this into consideration before deciding what focal length (zoom) you want. I see Amazon offering the 18-55m kit and larger lens, if you got the 18-55mm kit it'll save you $100. With that you could get the Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens which I used 90% of the time (compared to the 18-5mm) and is a must for starters IMHO

Thanks for the info. Should I ignore the larger lens and just go for the smaller lenses? If that stock 18-55m lens isn't any good, should I just go for the base camera +that 1.8 prime lens?

Edit: Oh I see, I probably want both so she can have a lens with zoom + the prime lens with no zoom, right?

Edit 2: Alright, just bought the Cannon T3i from Amazon w/18-55mm kit for $711 and added a Transcend 32GB Class 10 for $38.99 and the Cannon 50mm 1.8 prime lens for $105 (grand total $856.) Luckily Amazon has a great return policy on stuff in case I screwed up here (please tell me if I did!) I think my wife can use a grocery sack for a case and my back for a tripod, for now. :)

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Emergency! Christmas is upon me and my wife wants a DSLR camera. Money is not to be had in abundance, plus she's just barely starting out in photography. Is this a good camera and a good deal?

Canon EOS Rebel T2i Body
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens

$799 USD

I can't do dollars so not sure about the deal, but the camera is just fine. I bought the kit with just the 18-55 lens but bought the 55-250 a few months later - it's a great lens for things like zoo animals/street shots from the top of buses/longer-range street stuff and so on, so a deal with both in sounds good.

The biggest difference between T2i and T3i is the swivel screen. I'd be happy with the T2i on that as I nearly never shoot without my eye up to the viewfinder anyway - I guess if you were doing a lot of video it might be different.

EDIT: somewhat overtaken by events, should have read the last page

soldat7

I can't do dollars so not sure about the deal, but the camera is just fine. I bought the kit with just the 18-55 lens but bought the 55-250 a few months later - it's a great lens for things like zoo animals/street shots from the top of buses/longer-range street stuff and so on, so a deal with both in sounds good.

The biggest difference between T2i and T3i is the swivel screen. I'd be happy with the T2i on that as I nearly never shoot without my eye up to the viewfinder anyway - I guess if you were doing a lot of video it might be different.

EDIT: somewhat overtaken by events, should have read the last page

No worries. I figure I can fork over the cash or return it for another bundle if she needs the bigger zoom. Exciting times and holy crap this is an expensive hobby for enthusiasts. Much respect!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
30cm, you can get that close with the Tokina 11-16mm.

I'm just sorta in love with how small the CV is when paired with a mirrorless body (especially the GXR). But the Tokina should definitely hit the same magnification needed for the macro shots (as the CV) with a slight spacer.

Thanks for the info. Should I ignore the larger lens and just go for the smaller lenses? If that stock 18-55m lens isn't any good, should I just go for the base camera +that 1.8 prime lens?

Edit: Oh I see, I probably want both so she can have a lens with zoom + the prime lens with no zoom, right?

Edit 2: Alright, just bought the Cannon T3i from Amazon w/18-55mm kit for $711 and added a Transcend 32GB Class 10 for $38.99 and the Cannon 50mm 1.8 prime lens for $105 (grand total $856.) Luckily Amazon has a great return policy on stuff in case I screwed up here (please tell me if I did!) I think my wife can use a grocery sack for a case and my back for a tripod, for now. :)

That's the same equipment I got as well (and Amazon refunded me it all a few weeks later when I had to return for financial reasons). Also, will your wife being using a Mac to store and view her photos?

It is very expensive, true. Depending on the type of photos your wife may want to take, she'll be looking at other lens soon enough with the really good often the same price or higher than the actual camera itself!

soldat7

That's the same equipment I got as well (and Amazon refunded me it all a few weeks later when I had to return for financial reasons). Also, will your wife being using a Mac to store and view her photos?

It is very expensive, true. Depending on the type of photos your wife may want to take, she'll be looking at other lens soon enough with the really good often the same price or higher than the actual camera itself!

Unfortunately, she just had me downgrade her machine to a netbook, so she'll probably need to use my laptop for image and video processing. Thanks for the help!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So a few weeks back, I mentioned my fiance wanting to get into photography. I was going to buy her one of the slim DSLR cameras, and this one was suggested:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180444

Well, I ordered it on the Black Friday sale ($300), but because the address on my credit card didn't match my shipping address (I have things shipped to my office so I can get it at delivery), they cancelled my order and sold out. Ffffffff

I'm back to square one now. I waited for a bit, but my family wants to chip in and get her a camera still for Christmas. What options do I have for a slimmer form-factor camera in the $300-400 range? A little more is fine, of course, but I'm trying to get something in that range - starter camera with a basic lens, and she can branch out as she sees fit.

I do appreciate the help! :)

Gabyskra

Banned
So a few weeks back, I mentioned my fiance wanting to get into photography. I was going to buy her one of the slim DSLR cameras, and this one was suggested:

This is not a DSLR, it's a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.
The market hasn't changed much in a few weeks, your options are similar: Panasonic GF (1, 2, 3, GX-1), Olympus EP (1, 2, 3, e-pl1, e-pl2, e-pl3), then pricing will do the choosing for you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is not a DSLR, it's a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera.
The market hasn't changed much in a few weeks, your options are similar: Panasonic GF (1, 2, 3, GX-1), Olympus EP (1, 2, 3, e-pl1, e-pl2, e-pl3), then pricing will do the choosing for you.

Aye - sorry, my knowledge on these is minimal at best. :) I'll look into these options again and see what I can find!

roddur

lens wise which brand is cheaper? i'm not a pro so buying lenses cheap if i want to is kind of important. i wanted to buy T2i, but then i saw the mirrorless cameras. they r small, and can change lenses. but lenses are really expensive for those cameras. any advice for me guys?

tino

Banned
lens wise which brand is cheaper? i'm not a pro so buying lenses cheap if i want to is kind of important. i wanted to buy T2i, but then i saw the mirrorless cameras. they r small, and can change lenses. but lenses are really expensive for those cameras. any advice for me guys?

What's your preference? Baby? Sports? travel, all-in-one, scenic, portrait? Do you mind change lens, use manual lens?

giga

Fuck SD! Superior CF has a successor!

The Compact Flash Association has announced the development of the XQD memory card format. The smaller XQD format is based around the PCI Express specifications, allowing write speeds of 125MB/sec and beyond. The association says the first example cards will be shown at the CP+ trade show in Japan, in February 2012. No details of capacities or which camera makers are likely to support the standard are given.

XQD.jpg

BlueTsunami

There's a rumor that the 12MP sensor used in the Ricoh GXR A12 module is being discontinued so they'll be using the 16MP sensor found in the NEX5N. I think I'll jump aboard the Ricoh train at that point since the 16MP NEX5N sensor is best in breed for APS-C sensors at the moment.

I'd love it if Ricoh also released the same module but for K-Mount (Pentax) with all the electronic functions intact just so I can get and use the 77/1.8 Limited :drool

tino

Banned
all-in-one. right now i'm leaning towards mirrorless from dslr.

OK here are your options. For Super All-in-one, you have the Tamron 18-270mm. It's a very respectable lens. I suggest a Canon or Nikon body.

For pretty good all-in-one, you have 18-200mm from all major brands. Tamron just made one for Sony's NEX body, which is supposedly slightly smaller than the Sony's own version. There are also various 18-200mm offering from 3rd parties and major brands. All of them are pretty good travel lenses but nothing spectacular. I would go for the best price-to-performance ratio one, or let other factors decide.

Keep in mind that NEX system's AF is slow in the DSLR/EVIL world. Panasonic's m43 system AF faster. You can consider its 14-140mm. Since its sensor is smaller, the 14-140mm is in the same focal length coverage as the 18-200mm for other brands. But m43's weakness is that lens are kind of overpriced when you get into mid and upper tier lenses. And the selection is poor.

NEX also suffer with lens droughts, in greater degree. So if you have photography ambition, stick with the CN brands.

There's a rumor that the 12MP sensor used in the Ricoh GXR A12 module is being discontinued so they'll be using the 16MP sensor found in the NEX5N. I think I'll jump aboard the Ricoh train at that point since the 16MP NEX5N sensor is best in breed for APS-C sensors at the moment.

I'd love it if Ricoh also released the same module but for K-Mount (Pentax) with all the electronic functions intact just so I can get and use the 77/1.8 Limited :drool

Does the GXR has better or worse EVF than the 5n?

edit: Also a xitek moderator has already said the Fuji EVIL will be announced late Jan and be available in March. I assume it will be the best option for manual lens even if its an APS sensor. Stay strong. :)

Use the Pentax FA limiteds on an APS sensor would be a waste. If I own a 77mm "princess" I would mod a Canon 5D to use it. You just need to sand down the mirror a little bit.

BlueTsunami

Does the GXR has better or worse EVF than the 5n?

edit: Also a xitek moderator has already said the Fuji EVIL will be announced late Jan and be available in March. I assume it will be the best option for manual lens even if its a APS sensor. Stay strong. :)

Use the Pentax FA limiteds on an APS sensor would be a waste. If I own a 77mm "princess" I would mod a Canon 5D to use it. You just need to sand down the mirror a little bit.

The GXR EVF is supposed to be a notch worse than the NEX EVFs (I'm thinking around the quality of the best M4/3rd EVFs). Its good but the NEX EVFs just puts it to shame a bit with its size and clarity.

I agree that the 77 Limited would pair so much better with a FF sensor. Here's to hoping that with Ricoh at the helm they do something unbelievable and release a FF K-Mount camera (be it mirrorless or a DSLR).

tino

Banned
Portrait
Travel
Scenic

You want a suggestion too?

Well since telephoto is Canon's strength I would suggest that. Get a 70-200 f/4 or 70-200 f/4 IS depends on your budget. For portrait you can make do with a 50-58mm f/1.4 manual lens for now. You can find one under $100. Scenic lens can be very cheap to very expensive. You can use a $50 kit lens, or the $700 Canon 15-85mm, or 10 other different ultra wide zoom options including the 11-16 Tokina.

Body doesn't matter, just find a good deal you come across. You can get new/used XX0d, or used X0d. By the time you run the first body into the ground you will know what kind of body do you need.

edit: I am sorry for so reason I read "Travel" as "sport". OK if telephone is not your priority then all major brand are fine for travel and scenic purpose. I would pick whatever the body+kit lens that's on sale now. If price is your top priority take a look at the Panasonic GF2, GF3 kits. They are cheaper than premium point and shoots.

Fuck SD! Superior CF has a successor!

XQD.jpg

What's the deal with this? A year ago Sony, Nikon, and Sandisk announced they were working on a CF successor. Now this bit of news has come out, and I've only ever see it mention Nikon as the main company, but now Canon is onboard as well apparently.

Zyzyxxz

Jesus if that happens I'd be so tempted to jump on the Ricoh bangwagon. Make it K-mount and autofocus with Pentax lenses!

Hey guys, I have a co-worker that's selling his Canon 400D. I'm just curious in what you guys think about it.

Canon 400D

I know that it's not gonna be as high tech as the new 600D. But what about the picture qualities?

I recently just inherited a 1984 Olympic edition of the Canon F1 with a few lenses for it. My plan was to have a DSLR alongside a 35mm film camera.

Canon F1

I wanted to know if the adapters for lenses are permanent or not. So that I can interchange between the two cameras. I'm kinda new to the world of photography all together. Seems like a fun hobby that I can occupy with on the side. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks. ^__^

giga

What's the deal with this? A year ago Sony, Nikon, and Sandisk announced they were working on a CF successor. Now this bit of news has come out, and I've only ever see it mention Nikon as the main company, but now Canon is onboard as well apparently.
Not sure about those previous ones, but if Canon and Nikon are backing it then it's definitely going to replace CF for their high end bodies at least.

“The XQD format will enable further evolution of hardware and imaging applications, and widen the memory card options available to CompactFlash users such as professional photographers,” said Mr. Shigeto Kanda of Canon, chairman of the board, CFA.

http://compactflash.org/2011/compac...tm-specification-as-a-new-memory-card-format/

http://compactflash.org/members-list/

VNZ

Hey guys, I have a co-worker that's selling his Canon 400D. I'm just curious in what you guys think about it.

Canon 400D

I know that it's not gonna be as high tech as the new 600D. But what about the picture qualities?

I recently just inherited a 1984 Olympic edition of the Canon F1 with a few lenses for it. My plan was to have a DSLR alongside a 35mm film camera.

Canon F1

I wanted to know if the adapters for lenses are permanent or not. So that I can interchange between the two cameras. I'm kinda new to the world of photography all together. Seems like a fun hobby that I can occupy with on the side. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks. ^__^
It's not really worthwhile to use FD-adaptors on EOS cameras, unfortunately. What lenses did you get with that F1? For some tele lenses you can use glass-free adaptors, but for the majority of lenses you need an optical converter which gives you less light and lesser optical quality (they also increase focal length which usually isn't a wanted side effect, especially on a "APS-C" (relatively small sensor) digital camera).

If the lenses you got are good ones, you're better off with a Sony NEX camera and an FD-mount converter. On a mirrorless system there's no need for extra optics in the converter, so there's no quality loss.

Canon F1

Thanks. ^__^

That's goddam sexy. Pure camera pron right here

It's not really worthwhile to use FD-adaptors on EOS cameras, unfortunately. What lenses did you get with that F1? For some tele lenses you can use glass-free adaptors, but for the majority of lenses you need an optical converter which gives you less light and lesser optical quality (they also increase focal length which usually isn't a wanted side effect, especially on a "APS-C" (relatively small sensor) digital camera).

If the lenses you got are good ones, you're better off with a Sony NEX camera and an FD-mount converter. On a mirrorless system there's no need for extra optics in the converter, so there's no quality loss.

The Lenses I got are:
Canon Zoom Lens FD 35-105mm 1:3.5
Tamron SP 24-48mm 1:3.5-3.8 Wide Zoom

So would going towards a bigger body would help with the sensor issue? Such as a 50D?

That's goddam sexy. Pure camera pron right here

Thanks ^___^

tino

Banned
Not sure about those previous ones, but if Canon and Nikon are backing it then it's definitely going to replace CF for their high end bodies at least.

“The XQD format will enable further evolution of hardware and imaging applications, and widen the memory card options available to CompactFlash users such as professional photographers,” said Mr. Shigeto Kanda of Canon, chairman of the board, CFA.

http://compactflash.org/2011/compac...tm-specification-as-a-new-memory-card-format/

http://compactflash.org/members-list/

I don't know anything else is using CF card besides D3/s and 1D/s cameras. Either Nikon or Canon can use any random proprietary storage cartridge and it wouldn't make a difference. OK it may make a different to the wedding photog that shoot Canon and Nikon at the same time but that's about it.

DihcarEM

Looking to buy the 5d mark 2 with the added lens kit(24-105mm).
Camera will be used for video only.
Is it worth it to wait for a possible price drop with the mark 3 release being right around the corner?

giga

I don't know anything else is using CF card besides D3/s and 1D/s cameras. Either Nikon or Canon can use any random proprietary storage cartridge and it wouldn't make a difference. OK it may make a different to the wedding photog that shoot Canon and Nikon at the same time but that's about it.
Canon 1D, 5D, and 7D series. Nikon D3, D700, and D300 series. Basically the high end.

Quick lens filter question. My cousin is getting a Nikon 5100 and I was going to pick him up a filter or 2. Was thinking of a UV and polarized. Any recommendations? Are cheap filters just trash or will they do a decent job?

Something like this maybe? Is going up to ~$25 polarized worth it?

Pepto

Banned
Quick lens filter question. My cousin is getting a Nikon 5100 and I was going to pick him up a filter or 2. Was thinking of a UV and polarized. Any recommendations? Are cheap filters just trash or will they do a decent job?
Cheap filters are trash. Also don't get a UV filter, they are unnecessary.

VNZ

The Lenses I got are:
Canon Zoom Lens FD 35-105mm 1:3.5
Tamron SP 24-48mm 1:3.5-3.8 Wide Zoom

So would going towards a bigger body would help with the sensor issue? Such as a 50D
For mounting lenses via adaptors the most important factor is the flange distance of the lens vs. the flange distance of the actual mount on the camera. To be able to construct a "glass free" converter the distance of the lens need to be the longer one, plus a mm or two for the adaptor ring. More on flange distances here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

This is why mirrorless systems like Sony NEX and Micro Four Thirds are so great for legacy glass; their flange distance is so short that most any lens can be mounted with an adaptor.

The sensor size is important too but for other reasons. Basically, the smaller the sensor, the less of the image produced by the lens will be captured. This results in a zoomed in view, making wide angle lenses less wide.

Thoses FD lenses you got are absolutely decent but you shouldn't necessarily base your decision of a digital system based on them. But in any case a mirrorless camera is a good choice if you want to get into vintage lenses since almost any lens can be used via adaptors. Currently the Sony NEX-5N is probably the best mirrorless camera in that regard. Really great value for the money.

Borman

Looking to buy the 5d mark 2 with the added lens kit(24-105mm).
Camera will be used for video only.
Is it worth it to wait for a possible price drop with the mark 3 release being right around the corner?

Buy the camera you need when you need it. The 5d has been coming in the next few months for the past few years. There is no guarantee that it'll be coming out anytime soon.

BlueTsunami

Extreme rumor but supposedly Pentax is working on a FF Mirrorless camera and considering a Medium Format Mirrorless camera (possibly something like the Mamiya 6 and 7? Not said by them but just showing precedence for a small body that shoots Medium Format film). Wow.

http://photorumors.com/2011/12/17/p...rorless-full-frame-and-medium-format-cameras/

I think it makes sense since Pentax was bold enough to actually make the 645D which obviously leaves a gap between APS-C and Medium Format. Why not make a splash with a modern FF body as a mirrorless?

For mounting lenses via adaptors the most important factor is the flange distance of the lens vs. the flange distance of the actual mount on the camera. To be able to construct a "glass free" converter the distance of the lens need to be the longer one, plus a mm or two for the adaptor ring. More on flange distances here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

This is why mirrorless systems like Sony NEX and Micro Four Thirds are so great for legacy glass; their flange distance is so short that most any lens can be mounted with an adaptor.

The sensor size is important too but for other reasons. Basically, the smaller the sensor, the less of the image produced by the lens will be captured. This results in a zoomed in view, making wide angle lenses less wide.

Thoses FD lenses you got are absolutely decent but you shouldn't necessarily base your decision of a digital system based on them. But in any case a mirrorless camera is a good choice if you want to get into vintage lenses since almost any lens can be used via adaptors. Currently the Sony NEX-5N is probably the best mirrorless camera in that regard. Really great value for the money.

Cool! Thanks for the advice! :D

tino

Banned
Can somebody who can speak Japanese confirm the detail in this interview article.

https://www.impressjapan.jp/pr/monitor/1112_dcm/271201_free.pdf

Impress Japan has interviews with managers of all 8 major camera makers

Its so new the English blogs haven't picked it up yet.

Somebody did a brief translastion in Chinese and I am picking out the interesting stuff here. Again its second hand translation so don't hit me if its incorrect. But there are so much news!

Olympus:
"Working for new EVIL, priority would be the viewfinder." (tino: I assume a NEX7 competitor?)
Also working on E5 successor.

Canon
"Does mirrorless camera needs interchangable lens?"
Starting from last year Canon has changed the focus from pixel count to high sensitivity
(tino: ok so I assume a 1 inch-sensor G camera but no EVIL?)

Sigma
More DP cameras
More mirrorless lens

Sony
smaller NEX lenses
"Wouldn't be surprised to see a 100 megapixel sensor" (tino: WTF Sony?!)
Electronic shutter will be commercialized. (tino: I assume this will be build-in in sensors Sony selling to others. Big freaking deal D1x had it.)

Nikon
D700 successor will have high pixel count (tino: that sounds terrible.)
D3 successor will have high sensitivity.
More specialized P&S cameras.

Fuji
APS-C sensor for Fuji EVIL.
Fast AF speed, also plans for lower end version. (tino: ok that confirms the sensor size. I doubt the low end version can compete with NEX-5n in price though.)

Pentax
Want to provide 100% viewfinder covrage for low end bodies.
Considering mirrorless FF and Medium Format

Ricoh
GXR module for PK mount
GRD with a zoom
P&S cameras that specialized in black and white.
(tino: Huh? OK I give up. Pentax and Ricoh, I don't get you guys. I have no idea what you guys are doing.)

edit: LOL Photorumers put up a blog post about this article based on the same Xitek chinese translation I read today, except they used machine to translate the Chinese to English. What a bunch of hacks.

BlueTsunami

2012 sounds like an exciting year for camera gear! And Ricoh+Pentax are totally crazy like a fox. They've got odd plans but some definitely align with what I want. From what I've heard Ricoh is very sensitive to the suggestions of photographers and what they want from Ricoh cameras. Part of the reason I want a GXR is due to the sheer customization of the button layout of the body and options.

I still haven't committed to a compact APS-C body, but I adore the controls and customization in the GRD3. Ricoh's interface design is the best in the business. You get all the controls (with two dials) on the same hand with which you hold the camera, plus snap focal distances comfortable dials. I'm thinking the 16MP GXR modules will get me on board, either with a 28mm or an M-mount.

Hi guys,

Looking for a good camera for my gf for Christmas. She like to take a lot of pictures. We go on long trips and take a lot of pics. She would want something that is quality but at the same time portable.

I was told the Canon G12 is a great fit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to buy today. If you know current deals for your recommendations that would be good to have.

VNZ

Hi guys,

Looking for a good camera for my gf for Christmas. She like to take a lot of pictures. We go on long trips and take a lot of pics. She would want something that is quality but at the same time portable.

I was told the Canon G12 is a great fit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to buy today. If you know current deals for your recommendations that would be good to have.
I wouldn't get the G12, it doesn't really excel at anything. Some models to consider:

Canon S95 - Great value, great quality, great portability
Olympus XZ-1 - A bit larger and more expensive but larger sensor and higher quality overall
Fujifilm X10 - Quite similar but even slightly larger sensor and nice manual controls, retro style

Hi guys,

Olympus EPM1. In purple.

tino

Banned
I wouldn't get the G12, it doesn't really excel at anything. Some models to consider:

Canon S95 - Great value, great quality, great portability
Olympus XZ-1 - A bit larger and more expensive but larger sensor and higher quality overall
Fujifilm X10 - Quite similar but even slightly larger sensor and nice manual controls, retro style
zx1 is overpriced. I would look for LX5, GF2 kit, Nex3 kit, S95, LX10, in that order.

Zyzyxxz

If this might be a passing hobby don't spend too much but I would go for the T3i since its newer but the T2i isn't bad either and if the price is reasonable compared to T3i and you want that zoom lens go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom