• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterno69

Banned
I'd say it depends on your budget/money too. I recently bought my DSLR kit too.

It was between 60D and 600D/T3i Rebel for me, and I chose T3i.

The reason for this was I primarily want to shoot video, and the video quality is practically the same. Both these cameras are better than the 7D if you are on a budget and can't get an external LCD thanks to the really awesome swivel screen. Shooting High angle shots, ground level shots and the like are so much easier. Feels good man.

I used the money I saved on buying the 60D (where I live the difference between 60D and T3i is of almost $250!!) on good lenses.

Rocking my T3i with a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Both have been amazing for some excellent wide shots and bokeh-licious shallow D.O.F Medium shots. Perfect for filmaking.

I know that feel bro. $250-$300 difference between price in my country. Only in the U.S it seems the difference between the two is minimal. Feature set wise 60D and 600D are the same except burst rate and shutter speed - Magic Lantern can't change those I think. But are you really doing a lot of sports photography that you need a higher burst rate and super fast shutter speed of 1/8000s? T3i can still do 1/4000s which with a fast aperture like f1.4 can give some killer shots still.

Luckily I shoot videos and for the most time my T3i is on a tripod and/or rig so to me "how it feels in the hand" thing is more or less negligible.
The diference here in Mexico is around 700usd ouch. But the wheather seals are what is making my choice so hard cause i will be filming a lot of outdoor stuff in the junle, waterfalls and suff like that. Tomorrow is the day lol.

sneaky77

The diference here in Mexico is around 700usd ouch. But the wheather seals are what is making my choice so hard cause i will be filming a lot of outdoor stuff in the junle, waterfalls and suff like that. Tomorrow is the day lol.

There is a huge difference on how it feels on your hands as well. I was on the same spot last yr between the t2i or the 50D and once I felt them on my hands I went to the 50D in big part because it just felt more comfortable and had some weight to it.

alterno69

Banned
I had a chance to hold a T3i at a store today, boy does it feels cheap, and by cheap i mean REALLY cheap. BUT it is really cheap co pared to the 60D lol, some thinking to do tonight.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I had a chance to hold a T3i at a store today, boy does it feels cheap, and by cheap i mean REALLY cheap. BUT it is really cheap co pared to the 60D lol, some thinking to do tonight.

Stick a (third party) battery grip on the bottom and it feels one whole lot better. It really does.

Plasmid

I see the Canon Rebel T2i is 589.00 which is 400 off, I was thinking about buying it as a starter camera, I'd like to start with a DSLR.

What are some other stuff I should buy? Memory card, bag, extra battery. Anything im missing?

I'm looking or a good DSLR that shoots 1080p 30 fps video and good photos.

Any extra lenses needed?

Thanks camera GAF. :)

I see the Canon Rebel T2i is 589.00 which is 400 off, I was thinking about buying it as a starter camera, I'd like to start with a DSLR.

What are some other stuff I should buy? Memory card, bag, extra battery. Anything im missing?

I'm looking or a good DSLR that shoots 1080p 30 fps video and good photos.

Any extra lenses needed?

Thanks camera GAF. :)

If you want to record HD video, a class 10 memory card is recommended. In terms of lenses it all depends on what type of photos (landscape, portraits) you want and your budget.

You will need a tripod with a 'video head' however. Perhaps a shotgun mic as well because the built in mic isn't great

I've been thinking of getting a polarization filter, but they're pretty expensive. However, I can get one from China for around $6 including shipping. I know the quality won't be great, but is it still worth getting just to try out and then buy a more expensive later on, or should I go for a better one directly?

tino

Banned
I've been thinking of getting a polarization filter, but they're pretty expensive. However, I can get one from China for around $6 including shipping. I know the quality won't be great, but is it still worth getting just to try out and then buy a more expensive later on, or should I go for a better one directly?

Well $6 is nothing.

I had a couple Circular Polarizers. I ended up never used them. I think the reason is I can't left it on the lens all the time and sometimes the effect is not too pronounce. Another thing is that if your camera's sensor has decent dynamic range, you can just take the picture and do gradual mask with level on Photoshop. Plus you can control the angle. The only thing Cir. Polarizer has over post processing is that if the scene has wider dynamic range than the sensor, then the Polarizer will save you more detail, specially more clouds in the sky.

Take this photo for example. The sky in the original photo were all white out. I almost built the whole sky in Photoshop. It was taken with a P&S so I had no sensor latitude to work with.
2413515400_cb8ecb232e_z.jpg

I doubt Cir. Polarizer would help too much since the sky was too foggy.

You can also consider gradual color filter. Like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67mm-3-pcs-...ra_Filters&hash=item336f60e2b7#ht_3661wt_1002

I have seen people use these gradual color filters with great effect. They are very specialize. You only use them for certain weather conditions. For example, during dust or dawn. But when it work, it make the scene amazingly poetic. It's think the reason they work so well is that usually human eyes are so well trained with colors of the light sources you can take a took a the sky and guess the time of the day or take a look at the wall and guess the brightness of the indoor lighting. That's basically the human auto white balance. But the color filters will throw you off balance.

Here is an example of a guy who took some amazing photos with dare I say, a lame Nikon 1, a lot of them are taken with Gradual Color Filters.
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=938885&pagenumber=4
(Warming, its in Chinese. Just look at the pictures.)

tino

Banned
So I had a Canon QL17 II rangefinder for a few years, like this one.

2330905311_e87e9f8782.jpg

I forgot to took pictures before I sent it to a feller.

He did a nice conversion for me, here it is.
6494945215_5d51c47020_z.jpg

Here it is what it looks like on the NEX
6494977515_6b37f1196e_z.jpg

Here it is with the Konica AR 40mm 1.8 on the right.
6494982789_164b08526b_z.jpg

I also got a Minox 35 lens from that guy. He converted it to CCTV C-mount. So I have to get a NEX-C adapter first. This full frame lens is mind blowingly small. Looking forward to try it out.

A quite walk around test showed that the QL17 II lens is not particularly sharp. But the boheh is very smooth in vast majority of the time. Even f/2.0 is very usable. Focus throw is short. Minimum focus distance is short at 30cm, but I can literally unscrew the front half of the lens out if object is too close. I have to put a stopper there when I have time. Its pretty bad shooting against light, I doubt the lens has coating on it.

The gen 2 version of QL17 was made in very short period of time before the gen 3 came out. So this lens is 40 years old. The rangefinder was not in great shape when I sent it in. I am glad the good bits can keep rocking in front of modern sensor.

This one is taken at f/2
6495402885_13c83ac010_z.jpg

I did some more testing shoots over the weekend. What I have found really interesting impressive about the lens is that how smooth the mid range bokeh is. I can have a portroit face in the background out of foucs and I will get a smooth rendering in almost any distant.

Also, compare to my Konica AR 40/1.8, the f/1.7 f/2 is more usable. The Konica IME is a sharper lens in smaller aperture and in infinity, but f/1.8 is pretty useless to me. I get the halo type brightness on the focus point, I don't know what to call them.

Here is a few more photos that showcase front and rear bokeh of teh QL17II at close distant.

6537305475_a46ca90f5f_z.jpg

6537443245_404566801b_z.jpg

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering if I could get some help deciding which lens out the two I could get? I own a T1i and the lens that came with it is my walking around lens (18-55mm) and I'm tired of being limited by range of it. So I figured its time to get a better one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I53S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NEGTT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Canon 18-135 (in comparison with the 28-135 because)

Better glass
Better IS
Better range

Optically the image results you'll get are on par with the 18-55 kit lens.

If you want an actual upgrade in terms of image quality and sharpness, take a look at the Canon 15-85mm lens.

tagrat

Hey guys I am looking to get my wife a new lens for her Canon T3i.

Currently we have the two kit lens that came with it, and we have the Sigma 30mm 1.4. She is wanting a wider angle lens. We have been really happy with the Sigma so far. Was thinking about getting her the Sigma 10-20mm. Problem is there are 2 different ones.

10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
No doubt, this is the better lens. Better aperture throughout the zoom range. Better for low light conditions. It is pretty expensive. Even discounted from the list price it is going for around $650.

10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Not quite as good a lens on paper. The plus is the price is around $480.

Which would you guys choose? I'm spending more than I really should probably with either one, but she really wants a wider angle lens that is decent. She is in grad school for historic preservation and is always the photographer on projects so I want to get her the best we can afford that also might help with her career down the road. I am open to other suggestions as well, but we so far have been happy with Sigma, and nicer Canon lenses.

Thanks in advance!

Gabyskra

Banned
Hey guys I am looking to get my wife a new lens for her Canon T3i.

Currently we have the two kit lens that came with it, and we have the Sigma 30mm 1.4. She is wanting a wider angle lens. We have been really happy with the Sigma so far. Was thinking about getting her the Sigma 10-20mm. Problem is there are 2 different ones.

10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
No doubt, this is the better lens. Better aperture throughout the zoom range. Better for low light conditions. It is pretty expensive. Even discounted from the list price it is going for around $650.

10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Not quite as good a lens on paper. The plus is the price is around $480.

Which would you guys choose? I'm spending more than I really should probably with either one, but she really wants a wider angle lens that is decent. She is in grad school for historic preservation and is always the photographer on projects so I want to get her the best we can afford that also might help with her career down the road. I am open to other suggestions as well, but we so far have been happy with Sigma, and nicer Canon lenses.

Thanks in advance!

The ideal lens would be the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. Not sure what the price is where you live. It might be a little bit more expensive.

olbareun

I've been recommending it to pretty much anyone who wanted something better than a p&s given the lack of interesting additions for entry level dslrs for a past 1 year or so. Only thing you are missing is the viewfinder (evf expensive)

As long as their goal isn't to immediately try out things like telephoto lenses or off-camera lighting I think its great.

Whats more interesting is the number of people that were thinking of getting Nikon J1 that I had to convince them out of. Regular consumers really cannot tell the sensor difference and put Nikon 1 and Pentax Q series on the same league as other mirrorless cameras because they have interchangeable lens system. Which is especially ironic given that the reason why they are upgrading their p&s is for that shallow depth of field.

ZBR

Canon 18-135 (in comparison with the 28-135 because)

Better glass
Better IS
Better range

Optically the image results you'll get are on par with the 18-55 kit lens.

If you want an actual upgrade in terms of image quality and sharpness, take a look at the Canon 15-85mm lens.

I just wanted to get one with a better range because I'm tired of being limited by my walk around lens. I'm going to get into macro pphotography so I'm going to be spending a pretty penny on the 100mm 1:1 macro lens that Canon offers.

brerwolfe

anyone have some bag recommendations? i have a 7D with a couple lenses (18-55 stock, 28 f/1.8, and 70-200L f/2.8 IS), but i also travel a fair bit and need the bag to be able to carry my 17" laptop. i currently toss my equipment and laptop into a high school backpack i've had for 12 years now.. i need something a little more work-appropriate that has padding and compartments for the lenses..

any suggestions?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
anyone have some bag recommendations? i have a 7D with a couple lenses (18-55 stock, 28 f/1.8, and 70-200L f/2.8 IS), but i also travel a fair bit and need the bag to be able to carry my 17" laptop. i currently toss my equipment and laptop into a high school backpack i've had for 12 years now.. i need something a little more work-appropriate that has padding and compartments for the lenses..

any suggestions?

Maybe something like this?

Domke F-811 Canvas Photo/Laptop Satchel
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026IBI28/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I don't have first hand experience with such a combination bag though

How do you tell which lenses are compatible with other cameras? For example, for the α NEX-5N, is it compatible with all Sony lenses? How about Tokina lenses or Sigma lenses?

BlueTsunami

How do you tell which lenses are compatible with other cameras? For example, for the α NEX-5N, is it compatible with all Sony lenses? How about Tokina lenses or Sigma lenses?

The NEX mount is called Sony E-Mount, the DSLRs from Sony are A-Mount. Canon is EF Mount, their APS-C made lenses are EF-S Mount. Nikon is F-Mount. Things get a little more hairy when you start getting into adapting different mounts for other cameras but generally the Canon EF mount is the most forgiving of all the current DSLR mounts. The Sony NEX E-Mount is the most adaptable mount of all the cameras.

Chairhome

So I had a Canon QL17 II rangefinder for a few years, like this one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2323/2330905311_e87e9f8782.jpg[img]

I forgot to took pictures before I sent it to a feller.

He did a nice conversion for me, here it is.
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6494945215_5d51c47020_z.jpg[img]

Here it is what it looks like on the NEX

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6494977515_6b37f1196e_z.jpg[img]

Here it is with the Konica AR 40mm 1.8 on the right.

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6494982789_164b08526b_z.jpg[img]

I also got a Minox 35 lens from that guy. He convert it to C mount. So I have to get a NEX-C adapter first. This full frame lens is mind blowingly small. Looking forward to try it out.

A quite walk around test showed that the QL17 II lens is not particularly sharp. But the boheh is very smooth in vast majority of the time. Even f/2.0 is very usable. Focus throw is short. Minimum focus distance is short but you can literally unscrew the front half of the lens out if your object is too close. I have to put a stopper there when I have time. Its pretty bad shooting against light, I doubt the lens has coating on it.

The gen 2 version of QL17 was made in very short period of time before the gen 3 came out. So this lens is 40 years old. The rangefinder was not in great shape when I sent it in. I am glad the good bits can keep rocking in front of modern sensor.

This one is taken at f/2
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6495402885_13c83ac010_z.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Who did you ask to do the conversion? Do they have a site? cost?
I'm asking cause i have two lenses that i need to convert. I might be able to do it myself, but the screws are so tight that I can't take them off :-(.

tino

Banned
The ideal lens would be the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. Not sure what the price is where you live. It might be a little bit more expensive.

The Tokina 116 is about $600 new. It has better sharpness and distortion control than the Sigmas. Although at this range color repoduction is probably more important than sharpness.

I would go on flickr and find out how bad are the edge distortion before I buy the ultra wide zooms. Alot of these zooms have very bad distortion at the wide end.

So basically you can't have any human around the edge of the frame other wise the distortion is very noticable. Those clown legs are so annoying.

BlueTsunami

that doesn't seem like it would be very functional for my needs.

Satchel bags are awesome for quick access but I can see it being the wrong type of bag for travel. Seems like the bag you're looking at can store other non-photography items too which is definitely nice.

Spy

I'm considering this camera for myself. My photography friends highly recommend it vs a full sized DLSR. It's fast at taking pictures and it'd be a lot easier to carry around. Anyone know of a good deal on this camera? I know there were a few during BF but I obviously missed those.

I'm waiting for Newegg to get it back in stock. It's $599 with the 18-55mm lens.

Alucrid

Banned
So I am pretty excited...just ordered a D7000 along with an 18-200mm lens and some accessories from Amazon. It is a gift to my wife...but I am super excited to play with it as well. :)

The best Christmas presents are the ones you buy for yourself as well. :lol

sfedai0

Banned
Hey Canon guys, just upgraded from an Olympus E-510/620 to a T2i. Whats some crucial lenses I should be looking at? I'd like to start my first lens as somewhat of a all in one package.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Canon guys, just upgraded from an Olympus E-510/620 to a T2i. Whats some crucial lenses I should be looking at? I'd like to start my first lens as somewhat of a all in one package.

All in one = Versatile zoom?

Either the Canon 15-85mm
or
the Canon 17-55/2.8

If you can't afford the 17-55, you can opt for the Tamron 18-50/2.8

sfedai0

Banned
All in one = Versatile zoom?

Either the Canon 15-85mm
or
the Canon 17-55/2.8

If you can't afford the 17-55, you can opt for the Tamron 18-50/2.8

Thanks for the suggestions. Yea, I was looking for a fairly fast zoom lens with good macro ability and bokeh.

Kunohara

Any good web sites to learn how to use a DSLR? Got a Canon T2i for my wife, and we want to learn all the settings, and how to make nice shots etc.

Thanks.

dankir

Anybody have good experience with the mirrorless cameras? Size is an important factor I like DSLRs for quality but they're too big.

I'm looking at the Sony NEX3 / NEX5 reviews for the most part seem pretty good, any thoughts?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anybody have good experience with the mirrorless cameras? Size is an important factor I like DSLRs for quality but they're too big.

I'm looking at the Sony NX3 / NX5 reviews for the most part seem pretty good, any thoughts?

Had a Nex-5 for a while, now have a Panasonic G3.

They are compact but not massively more compact than a small DSLR like a 1000D (especially the G3)

I liked the NEX-5 and the 'peaking' made manual focus easy to use. But I was disappointed at the lack of lenses coming out and ended up buying a few legacy lenses to use in manual mode.

Switched to a G3 as I found I wanted a viewfinder, and am enjoying that although likewise there isn't the lens range that I'd like or that I had when I was a DSLR user. Controls are great, foldaway LCD screen is good to protect it, and flexible for shooting at different angles.

Go for it. The NEXs have very few compromises in terms of image quality or control over shooting, just be aware they don't have a huge amount of lenses available.

Crisco

Banned

any suggestions?

So I've been looking for a laptop/camera bag as well. I finally settled on,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IDIMR8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER (medium size)

+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TOD4OK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I really wanted something that looked nothing like a camera bag and this fit the bill. Also much cheaper than ordering the actual Timbuk2 Camera bag or customizing a bag on their website.

waxer

I'm looking at the Sony NEX3 / NEX5 reviews for the most part seem pretty good, any thoughts?

Im actually on the opposite side. I have a panasonic g2 but need something more comfortable and bigger. Even with the g2 its big enough that unless the issue is weight you still have to think about taking it around with you. Its not as though it fits in a pocket. I regret not going to a larger dslr first. Then the problems with extra cost for decent lens here is annoying. Support of third party accessories etc.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
that doesn't seem like it would be very functional for my needs. i've narrowed it down to a couple bags, i think this one is my favorite at the moment.

41mC3nrBGLL._AA300_.jpg

I have that one, it's nice but don't expect to put too many lenses in there. But it will fit just fine on planes in the overhead or under the seat.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Any good web sites to learn how to use a DSLR? Got a Canon T2i for my wife, and we want to learn all the settings, and how to make nice shots etc.

Thanks.

I'm no expert Kunohara, I can only tell you what worked for me.

To start with I spent way too much time reading the manual and fiddling with settings and taking the odd picture before I realised the photography is essentially an experimental art. You learn it by doing it. I learned that the hard (but fun) way by spending three hours wandering around taking photos in heavy mist where none of the auto settings worked at all well.

For online resources I'd suggest the following:

Dan Heller: A lot to go through, but worth taking your time with
Photozone.de: very thorough, very detailed, very useful (but maybe after you've got the hang of the basics)
Ken Rockwell:Interesting, provocative and sometimes annoying, but he does seem to know his stuff and usually fun to read

But the main things are to:
(a) keep off the preset stuff on the camera - stick to the 'creative zone' of Av Tv and Manual
(b) Get the hang of paying attention to the numbers in the bottom bit of the viewfinder so you know what you are shooting at
(c) Try some difficult things. Mist, nighttime, indoor still life. And see what works.

Also, you might consider (and what worked for me) turning off Auto-ISO. Stick with ISO 100 for daytime and ISO 400-800 at night. It's one less variable to work with and helps you work out what to do with aperture and shutter speed. If you have auto-ISO on the camera always tries to compensate and you can't necessarily see the difference that you have made, until you get more in the habit of looking at photos and seeing what is in them.

EDIT: The other thing worth considering is photography magazines. There's a lot of them, but the DSLR Bootcamp in Practical Photography (which ran over about six months last year and I think is an annual thing) is quite a good gentle introduction to the basics.

Kunohara

I'm no expert Kunohara, I can only tell you what worked for me.

To start with I spent way too much time reading the manual and fiddling with settings and taking the odd picture before I realised the photography is essentially an experimental art. You learn it by doing it. I learned that the hard (but fun) way by spending three hours wandering around taking photos in heavy mist where none of the auto settings worked at all well.

For online resources I'd suggest the following:

Dan Heller: A lot to go through, but worth taking your time with
Photozone.de: very thorough, very detailed, very useful (but maybe after you've got the hang of the basics)
Ken Rockwell:Interesting, provocative and sometimes annoying, but he does seem to know his stuff and usually fun to read

But the main things are to:
(a) keep off the preset stuff on the camera - stick to the 'creative zone' of Av Tv and Manual
(b) Get the hang of paying attention to the numbers in the bottom bit of the viewfinder so you know what you are shooting at
(c) Try some difficult things. Mist, nighttime, indoor still life. And see what works.

Also, you might consider (and what worked for me) turning off Auto-ISO. Stick with ISO 100 for daytime and ISO 400-800 at night. It's one less variable to work with and helps you work out what to do with aperture and shutter speed. If you have auto-ISO on the camera always tries to compensate and you can't necessarily see the difference that you have made, until you get more in the habit of looking at photos and seeing what is in them.

EDIT: The other thing worth considering is photography magazines. There's a lot of them, but the DSLR Bootcamp in Practical Photography (which ran over about six months last year and I think is an annual thing) is quite a good gentle introduction to the basics.

Awesome, thanks alot for that. We are going to read the manual first (wife is doing that right now, it is her camera), then after just go nuts and take alot of pictures. Thanks for the web sites, I'm gonna take a look at them after work.

We've already taken some pictures, and oh man what a difference. Pictures are never blurry (my wife does not have a steady hand), it is awesome.

brerwolfe

I have that one, it's nice but don't expect to put too many lenses in there. But it will fit just fine on planes in the overhead or under the seat.

That's fine. I'll eventually get another (smaller) bag that I can use for more local jobs and adventures. At the moment I only have the 3 lenses mentioned in my original post, so this will hopefully work out okay.

Thanks for the comment, it makes me feel a little better about the bag. I sent the link to my wife, so hopefully it ends up under the tree next week.

soldat7

Emergency! Christmas is upon me and my wife wants a DSLR camera. Money is not to be had in abundance, plus she's just barely starting out in photography. Is this a good camera and a good deal?

Canon EOS Rebel T2i Body
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens

$799 USD

Thanks GAF!

Edit: Is there a better deal on Amazon? Argh! No clue!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Emergency! Christmas is upon me and my wife wants a DSLR camera. Money is not to be had in abundance, plus she's just barely starting out in photography. Is this a good camera and a good deal?

Canon EOS Rebel T2i Body

$799 USD

Thanks GAF!

My mom got my dad that same deal from Best Buy. I think she paid $900 for hers, but they tossed in a cheap bag also.

The camera is awesome and the 55-250 is a great lens. I was never impressed with the 18-55 kit lens when I had it, but it's not horrible for someone starting out.

ced

Canon EOS Rebel T2i Body

$799 USD

Thanks GAF!

I can't help you, but I was just in the same situation. Problem is she just wants to take nice pictures of the baby, not really get into photography.

I ended up finding a good deal on a Powershot SX40HS and went with that. I just feel like for what we needed the huge DSLR was too much. If your wife is planning to do serious photography it's probably worth going with the DSLR.

soldat7

Thanks. She wants to get into photography just for fun; maybe take some community classes.

Can anyone comment on the T3i versus T2i? Some good deals on Amazon right now...

Thanks. She wants to get into photography just for fun; maybe take some community classes.

Can anyone comment on the T3i versus T2i? Some good deals on Amazon right now...

Difference is largely due to the tilting LCD screen available on the T3i, allowing you to e.g. watch the level of focus when recording yourself on the camera, or wanting to take group photographs with no behind the camera. If the price difference isn't an issue I would definitely go for the T3i.

Amazon seems to offer better deals as well. Remember, you'll also need an SD card (Class 10 for HD video recording), a bag and perhaps even a tripod. Take this into consideration before deciding what focal length (zoom) you want. I see Amazon offering the 18-55m kit and larger lens, if you got the 18-55mm kit it'll save you $100. With that you could get the Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens which I used 90% of the time (compared to the 18-5mm) and is a must for starters IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom