• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

They're coming for other systems too. Gimped/developed for NEX as base platform and then lazily ported onto other systems.

Sigma used to try a little harder with their primes...

Save monies in this hard economic environment, who can blame them for developing for the de facto superior format first and foremost? ;P

A mere mortal like me will have to scrounge up to save for the camera on the left...while very nice, the other two are just waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league, price-wise.

side-by-side-ilcs.jpg

equap

Banned
i like the new X-Pro1. I think i'm going to sell my Canon 30D and 24mm 1.4f and other lenses.

*edit*actually gonna wait for more info.

giga

Nkon's CX sensor looks pretty funny right now. No way Canon keeps that 1.5" sensor trapped in a point and shoot body for very long.

Sensorsizes.png

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It sucks, the Sony is nearly everything the Fuji is but the sensor has issues with corner performance as far as color shifting and smearing. With the Fuji X-P1, Fuji realized there's an issue with edge and corner performance with lenses that contain exit pupils that are too close to the sensor, so they create a new color filter to deal with this (removing the AA filter is big) and they make the flange distance even shorter than the NEX. It's basically what the NEX-7 should have been if it had a better planned sensor. Unfortunately the price is asking a lot of a enthusiast like me... I can nearly get a 5DII and live the FF dream at that price.

tino

Banned
This is the maddest camera year. MAD I tell you! Ricoh/Pentax haven't shot their load yet.

I am going to allocate most of this year's camera fund to lens, just to be on the safe side.

Its going to fun to see Nikon and Panasonic scrable for new positions in the game of power.

If the Fuji does end up being $1700, I guess they're positioning it as a DSLR alternative for enthusiasts, rather than a compact companion to a DSLR system. Which is a reasonable choice to make, but rules me out of the audience.

The G1X though, is tempting, and in my budget. The form factor looks great: chunky enough to offer a decent grip and lots of controls, but without a long protruding lens. 920k dot articulated LCD is quite nice too. It most likely also has some consistency in menus, controls, etc. with my 5DII, which is a nice bonus for me and other Canon DSLR shooters. It just might lure me away from a mirrorless system camera.

BlueTsunami

Where did you see confirmation for price?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/continually-updated-fuji-x-pro-1-announced/#comments

I'm guessing its part of the info released during their press conference

Also here's a very large image of the X-P1 with lens and lens hood...

http://3.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/9685207657/OP11100686.jpg

:drool

Edit: Oh wow, that's the 18/2 too. Looks damn small!

Edit 2: Samples!

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/sample_images/

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I really want the X Pro 1 but it looks like it is going to be too rich for my blood. For my needs an X100/X10 combo would be cheaper and more effective.

The Fuji X-P1 has been confirmed at $1700 for the body alone. I think they're going to feel a lot of resistance to this price point with the NEX-7 sitting at $1199.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to sell a stripped-down model alongside the X-P1. Seems silly considering they went further out of the gate than the other mirrorless manufacturers only to be limited by probable modest sales.

v0yce

What are the chances that the new Fuji X-P1 drives down the price of the X100?

I'd love one as a companion for my 60D just for street photos and what not, and when I don't want to lug around my 60D and lenses.

The X-P1's price (if $1400+) is probably too much of a commitment for me and I think the X100 would be good for my interests.

tino

Banned
I'm not sure why they wouldn't try to sell a stripped-down model alongside the X-P1. Seems silly considering they went further out of the gate than the other mirrorless manufacturers only to be limited by probable modest sales.

Maybe if the X-Pro 1 (what a mountful) is as popular as the X100 Fuji will make one without the viewfinder. Although if you sell it below 1k people will be demanding zoom lens and most people who buy it will shoot it with MF lens only.

I would like to hear how will Thom Hogan bad mouth the X Pro-1, he nitpicked the X-100 like Fuji owned him money.

olbareun

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
A mere mortal like me will have to scrounge up to save for the camera on the left...while very nice, the other two are just waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my league, price-wise.

side-by-side-ilcs.jpg
I need that Zeiss lens for my NEX5. So stupidly expensive :'( but reviews are saying it competes in quality with 6x more expensive full size Leica lens. You can get 5N btw, much cheaper and not much worse than NEX7. In a way I think it's lower MP count works better for it (less noise with high ISO)

The X-Pro1 is setting off my Leica sense. Same size as an M, similar weight to a Hexar RF, compact lenses... The size and heft in the Fujiguys video looked perfect. It works in all the ways that the X100 felt off.

I think... I think it's love.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The samples are good, but they don't really wow me (ya ya, they aren't final). Noise looks well under control, though. Not sure Fuji should be claiming it's as good or better than a full frame sensor just because they ditched the optical low pass filter, but I do think they're onto a good idea with the randomly arranged subpixels.

That promo video reminds of a Final Fantasy trailer.

VNZ

The greatest news for me is that a Lightroom 4 beta is out, and it finally adds RGB curves. That has been the app's main omission for me all the time.

I tried it out real quick, and the changes made in the basic exposure panel seem great as well.

Flo_Evans

I haven't seen any official source that says its going to be 1700, in fact the press release says pricing will be officially announced late January.

makes sense...

X10 = $700
X100 = $1200
X-pro = ???

I highly doubt they will price it the same as the X100.

tino

Banned
Look it doesn't matter what the listed price is right now. Until the Sony plant in Thailand restore production capacity and NEX-7 is readily available (in the summer?) I expect both X Pro-1 and NEX-7 will be sold over listed price. After summer you will see the price settle down to Fuji's bottom line.

Hopefully around that time Canon will leak more detail of its upcoming EVIL system.

equap

Banned
I'm just tired of the bulky "standard" size dSLR. I want something small but not too small like the u4/3. this X-Pro1 seems to be the perfect size for me.

I hate that I'm gonna have to sell my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II, i freakin' love this lens!!

MultiCore

I'm just tired of the bulky "standard" size dSLR. I want something small but not too small like the u4/3. this X-Pro1 seems to be the perfect size for me.

I hate that I'm gonna have to sell my Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II, i freakin' love this lens!!

When you're ready to get rid of it, shoot me a PM. My 5D2 is waiting.

BlueTsunami

Fuji roadmap for the X-Mount...

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/the...mazon-lists-the-fuji-stuff-but-with-no-price/

Fuji announced the lens roadmap for 2012 and 2013. There are at least seven lenses coming and all zoom lenses will feature a built-in Image Stabilization system.

This are the lenses coming in 2012:
-14mm f/2.8
- 18-72mm f/4.0 with IS (Image stabilization).

This are the lenses coming in 2013
- 28mm f/2.8 pancake
- 23mm f/2.0
- 72-200mm f/4.0 IS
- 12-24mm f/4.0 IS

Depending on its size the 12-24 would be one sick travel zoom. Apparently in lens IS is going to be standard for all zooms. People clamoring for a 35mm equivalent will get it next year.

tl;dr: Fuji doin' what Sony won't

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I just noticed that color grain from iso is more pronounced on my kit lens. How is this possible?

tino

Banned
I never asked for a clunky, mirrorless camera costing at least 1700 dollars.

Many people has been asking for a digital version of Contax G2 for years and years. And this is exactly what it is.

Personally I have no complaint. Ok I don't like slant shoulder and the grip could have been better. Otherwice its a very faithful recreation of the G2.

Flo_Evans

Many people has been asking for a digital version of Contax G2 for years and years. And this is exactly what it is.

Personally I have no complaint. Ok I don't like slant shoulder and the grip could have been better. Otherwice its a very faithful recreation of the G2.

God, I used to drool over the contax G2 in the camera shop all the time. Could never afford it :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I never asked for a clunky, mirrorless camera costing at least 1700 dollars.

many people want small fast primes with their small camera, all three of fujis announced lenses are exactly that. Something Sony failed to do and has still failed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom