• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Double Doh!

My friends dad that just bought the D3s is selling it on ebay and ordering a D4. That has got to sting. Wish I had the money to buy it off him!

East Lake

Now that it has been mentioned I wish it looked more G2 than Leica. Smooth surface included. Wish they had the distance markings on the lenses too.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Now that it has been mentioned I wish it looked more G2 than Leica. Smooth surface included. Wish they had the distance markings on the lenses too.

I'm juts happy its not duotone anymore. Really don't like that look with black and grey. Smooth would have been nice though, texture tends to have a faux elegant look.

In regards to distance markings, you get a distance and DoF scale in the viewfinder I believe (optical and electronic) with Fuji's lenses (as seen in the X100). But I agree about physically being able to look down at the lens and being able to think manipulate the DoF exactly how you want. The good thing about Fuji's way though is that the DoF should be relevant to the sensor vs. markings on modern and vintage Full Frame lenses on APS-C not being correct for the smaller sensor.

East Lake

I'm juts happy its not duotone anymore. Really don't like that look with black and grey. Smooth would have been nice though, texture tends to have a faux elegant look.

In regards to distance markings, you get a distance and DoF scale in the viewfinder I believe (optical and electronic) with Fuji's lenses (as seen in the X100). But I agree about physically being able to look down at the lens and being able to think manipulate the DoF exactly how you want. The good thing about Fuji's way though is that the DoF should be relevant to the sensor vs. markings on modern and vintage Full Frame lenses on APS-C not being correct for the smaller sensor.
Didn't know they were in the finder. That should be fine then as long as they are available someplace.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Okay Gaf, I want a Camera. I avoid one for years and now I want one. I know absolutely shit about them. Went to the store and they all said something like HD or Megapixel and it was foreign. I don't want to spend terribly much, but I want something that would take a picture well enough. Recommend me one please.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Okay Gaf, I want a Camera. I avoid one for years and now I want one. I know absolutely shit about them. Went to the store and they all said something like HD or Megapixel and it was foreign. I don't want to spend terribly much, but I want something that would take a picture well enough. Recommend me one please.

I think an actual max price point might help people here more than "not terribly much."

tino

Banned
For those people who own a NEX-3 or NEX-5, I am sure everyone of you have a motherfucking disgusting LCD cover like mine.

6677072111_cfc86abb78_z.jpg

6677079793_de2d2f3a85_z.jpg

I followed the instruction in this page and replaced mine with some fancy Chinese knock off screen protector. This thing is really hard.

6677085743_6256f1efa7.jpg

6677096163_cae58dc214.jpg
(back of the cover)

I just want to let you guys know its very easy to apply. It's much easier than a regular phone screen protector. You see the LCD screen is recess slightly so you can slot the hard cover right on to it.

voila
6677102509_d6801e74a7_z.jpg

JYC NEX-3C screen protector $3 bucks on ebay.

Borman

I posted this in the Q1 thread, but itll probably get buried. Basically, I need your help to win Photo of the Year! :

RecordOnline sneakily posted a link to vote for Photo of the Year. Please please please, vote for the August picture, which is the picture of my nephew and my Dad! You may be required to register, if that is the case just use your Facebook ID, or register! It would really help me out a lot! Everyone vote is much appreciated, so tell your friends, tell your parents :)

http://hvmg.upickem.net/engine/Welcome.aspx?contestid=48033

mvnK2.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This persons stream has some photos taken with a Fuji X-P1 prototype at various ISO (good amount of high ones). You can't pull that much info from them since they been resized to websize but I think they look absolutely fantastic...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26706225@N08/

Street Work with 18/2
ISO3200: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26706225@N08/6679329985/in/photostream
ISO6400: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26706225@N08/6679329993/in/photostream

Boat with 35/1.4 (lots of dark areas in the frame. If Noise Reduction was used it retained a lot of detail)
ISO2500: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26706225@N08/6672729135/in/photostream

FooTemps

Alright I'm back with more questions...

So, I've narrowed it down to a price range of $500 to $650 for a compact camera body and lens.

This means I can get an open box NEX-5N ($615 at best buy), E-PL2 (my girl likes the feel of the PL2), NEX-C3, or I can save a ton and get the NEX-3 off amazon for $380

What I want to know is how big of an increase in quality is there between the NEX line and between the generations. I looked at dpreview and they didn't say much aside from the fact that the NEX-3 and NEX-5 tended to overexposure and the NEX-C3 and NEX-5N didn't. Is there anything else I should worry about if I buy last gen's cameras?

I also know that Sony has been a flop on the lens side of things, how much does this actually gimp the NEX line? Should the E-PL2 be a better consideration for lenses alone?

tino

Banned
Some larger size x-pro samples!

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/full_size_originals

I dunno, looks good, but not OMGWTFBBQ I need to run out and get it!

Probably taken by the same flickr dude in Hong Kong.

As much as I like Super CCD, I didn't give enough credit to Fuji's effort in trying to preserve the film color.

Fujifilm could have very well gone belly up like Kodak and Konica and we wouldn't have any company attempt to replicate the film color. NEX-7's Zeiss color is cool and N7/E24 combo does give a pretty authentic Zeiss color. But I clearly like this color palette more.

Flo_Evans

Probably taken by the same flickr dude in Hong Kong.

As much as I like Super CCD, I didn't give enough credit to Fuji's effort in trying to preserve the film color.

Fujifilm could have very well went belly up like Kodak and Konica and we wouldn't have any company to try to replicate the film color. NEX-7's Zeiss color is cool and N7/E24 combo does give a pretty authentic Zeiss color. But I clearly like this color palette more.

Yeah they are linked from the guys flickr.

The fuji film simulation color modes are kind of cool, but if you know your way around the curves palette (and know what look you are aiming for) making digital files look like film is not that tough.

Borman

I posted this in the Q1 thread, but itll probably get buried. Basically, I need your help to win Photo of the Year! :

RecordOnline sneakily posted a link to vote for Photo of the Year. Please please please, vote for the August picture, which is the picture of my nephew and my Dad! You may be required to register, if that is the case just use your Facebook ID, or register! It would really help me out a lot! Everyone vote is much appreciated, so tell your friends, tell your parents :)

http://hvmg.upickem.net/engine/Welcome.aspx?contestid=48033

mvnK2.jpg

Turns out you can still vote once a day, so keep on voting! I really appreciate all the help!

alterno69

Banned
So i want to get an external flash for my 60D, what's a good one that i can use remoteley with my camera without buying any extra gear. I know the 580EX II is awesome but it's also expensive as hell, so any good entry level flash that will help me learn to use one and it's advanced enough for what i want, i want it to do location shootig mainly portraits.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So i want to get an external flash for my 60D, what's a good one that i can use remoteley with my camera without buying any extra gear. I know the 580EX II is awesome but it's also expensive as hell, so any good entry level flash that will help me learn to use one and it's advanced enough for what i want, i want it to do location shootig mainly portraits.

I'm by no means an expert of whatever's available, but I'm having a whale of a time with a couple of Yongnuo YN560s - manual settings only (no TTL) but for portraits you got a bit of time to fiddle while chatting. They cost me about £60 each.

Not sure you can get away without buying ANY extra gear though. You're doing portraits you'll want some sort of diffuser, and you'll need something to control the flash (they can be controlled from the on-camera flash (don't think the 60D has wireless built-in?) but that ain't necessarily what you want to do).

Chances are you'll want yourself an umbrella diffuser and a stand and bracket to mount the thing on. Reflectors and suchlike you can knock up yourself for nearly nothing. If you're doing location work, they'll need to be portable (so something like the Westcott 42" unbrella and the Manfrotto Nano (?) stand or a cheaper equivalent maybe - and you'll need something to weight the stand down with too.

For a single-flash setup you can probably get the whole lot for less than half the cost of one 580EXII.

EDIT: Don't know where you are, but if in the UK it's worth checking out Cotswold Photo. Less confusing than most, that's because there's near-as-dammit no choice (you want a flash it is a Yongnuo; you want a stand, there's a big one and a small one!), but I gravitated there after a couple of month's research and flanneling around and found them very helpful & efficient and bought nearly everything from them.

alterno69

Banned
By gear i meant something to trigger the flash from my camera, i already have the gary fong diffuser in mind as well as an umbrella and stand.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Hi experts. I just ordered a Samyang 85 1.4 lens, and I don't know what filter I should get for it. My main goal is to be able to keep a wide aperture in bright light, as I intend to use it a lot outdoor.

UV/Polarizing/ND filter? Thanks for your recommandations!

SaitoH

I'm looking to buy a smaller satchel/courier style camera bag. I want something that forces me pare down, remove my battery grip and only carry around two lens. The idea being that with a small bag I'll hopefully carry it around more often.

Currently I'm looking at the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home Bag and the Domke F-5XZ.

Any recommendations?

What are some solid cameras that can shoot 1080p/24fps and supports over/undercranking?

I'm fairly certain the standard Panasonic GH2 does those things. If not, there's a hack out that allows you to do almost anything you could want video-wise. The resolution is also fantastic and bests almost all other DSLRs.

I need that Zeiss lens for my NEX5. So stupidly expensive :'( but reviews are saying it competes in quality with 6x more expensive full size Leica lens. You can get 5N btw, much cheaper and not much worse than NEX7. In a way I think it's lower MP count works better for it (less noise with high ISO)

Could you point me in the direction of these reviews? Some test charts I've seen show it to be much less sharp than it should be considering its size, price and the great sensor behind it.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
By gear i meant something to trigger the flash from my camera, i already have the gary fong diffuser in mind as well as an umbrella and stand.

Oh right. Looks like the 60D has wireless control built in, so I think the Yongnuo 565 (NOT the 560) will work with it. Haven't used one myself.

Kola

Bit OT: Does anyone know where I should look for a camera in Osaka. I know, Umeda and Namba are the obvious choices. But are there any special shops which you would recommend or should I just hit Yodobashi, Big Camera etc? Thanks in advance!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hi experts. I just ordered a Samyang 85 1.4 lens, and I don't know what filter I should get for it. My main goal is to be able to keep a wide aperture in bright light, as I intend to use it a lot outdoor.

UV/Polarizing/ND filter? Thanks for your recommandations!

these two don't go together. Polarizer will be at minimum 1 stop loss of light, ND filters should be worse. UV filters are useless and you shouldn't buy them. I would go with a polarizer if you are shooting outside but it is not something you should be using all the time.

marc^o^

I thought ND filters could offer up to 8 stops, isn't it the case? I have a Sony A55, which can't stop a lot, thus my need.

captive

UV filters have the benefit of keeping your lens clean and moderately safer.
ugh, sorry but this is so annoying to see. UV filters are a waste of money now, they used to be important for film as film used to be sensitive to UV light, this is no longer true. The lens hood keeps your front element safe and microfiber cloths keep it clean.

Read this http://bythom.com/filters.htm

I thought ND filters could offer up to 8 stops, isn't it the case? I have a Sony A55, which can't stop a lot, thus my need.

yes. you can get 1 stop 2 stop 4 stop on up for ND Filters.

marc^o^

ugh, sorry but this is so annoying to see. UV filters are a waste of money now, they used to be important for film as film used to be sensitive to UV light, this is no longer true. The lens hood keeps your front element safe and microfiber cloths keep it clean.

Read this http://bythom.com/filters.htm

yes. you can get 1 stop 2 stop 4 stop on up for ND Filters.
Wouldn't it be the perfect match for my wish to shoot at 1.4 on a bright day? What would the drawbacks?

captive

Wouldn't it be the perfect match for my wish to shoot at 1.4 on a bright day? What would the drawbacks?

my mistake i read your post differently. So basically you want to shoot wide open in bright daylight? ? if you are a low ISO you shouldn't need to do too much, but if its really bright a 1 to 2 stop ND would darken the scene.

just remembered, you may be subject to vignetting shooting wide open with ND filters and especially so the darker you make it.

After thinking about it I've changed my position entirely. I guess I'm just debating between buying a 28mm lens first or a new body first. Doesn't really matter in the end if I buy both does it?

dmshaposv

Why would one consider the 580EXII over the 430EXII? I know the range is more and the 580 works better as a master with more external flash units but if you were to use only a single flash unit does getting a 580 over the 430 matter?

Also, besides the Yongnuo 565, what other alternatives do I have for 580? what about something like the Nissin Di866 (which is almost half the price of 580).

giga

Why would one consider the 580EXII over the 430EXII? I know the range is more and the 580 works better as a master with more external flash units but if you were to use only a single flash unit does getting a 580 over the 430 matter?

Also, besides the Yongnuo 565, what other alternatives do I have for 580? what about something like the Nissin Di866 (which is almost half the price of 580).
Most get it because it can be a master, but more power and flexibility (the head can move 180 degrees left and right) are reasons if you only use one.

tokkun

After thinking about it I've changed my position entirely. I guess I'm just debating between buying a 28mm lens first or a new body first. Doesn't really matter in the end if I buy both does it?

Well, lenses tend to hold their value a lot longer than bodies and get replaced with newer versions less frequently. I usually suggest getting the lens first because by the time you get around to buying the body, there may be a better one available or a much better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom