• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

Yeah I've looked at the camera size comparisons and so forth. With a limited zoom I feel like I'd kinda rather have a nice fast prime on there instead for the benefits there in low light and dof. I really don't use the zoom on my S95 a lot since it reduces the aperture so much. Then again, maybe I would use the zoom more if I was using a G1x-sized sensor so that I could crank the ISO a bit and retain a usable shutter speed despite the smaller aperture. Suppose so. X100 seems more attractive to me though, if quirkier.

X100 might be your best bet, any aps-c camera/m43 mirroless camera with a prime just looks big in comparison:

u6Qxm.jpg

I still prefer the X-Pro 1 XD

Sony also has a 16mm f2.8 for the Nex systems which is a pancake lens.

Radec

So unfortunately I have little knowledge of anything photography. I own some "old" Canon 35 mm Film Lenses. I've been reading up and trying to understand if you use them on modern DSLR with an APS-C Sensor how would they work? As far as I understand they the image would be cropped, does this mean if would be cropped from what you would see on a optical viewfinder but what shows up on a digital screen would be the final image the sensor is seeing?

Sorry in advance if I did not explain myself clearly.

Not sure the crop factor on canon aps-c but on nikon its 1.5x.

Meaning if I attached my film 50mm on it, the FoV will be like 75mm.

I think its 1.6x on canon.

tino

Banned
So unfortunately I have little knowledge of anything photography. I own some "old" Canon 35 mm Film Lenses. I've been reading up and trying to understand if you use them on modern DSLR with an APS-C Sensor how would they work? As far as I understand they the image would be cropped, does this mean if would be cropped from what you would see on a optical viewfinder but what shows up on a digital screen would be the final image the sensor is seeing?

Sorry in advance if I did not explain myself clearly.

What's your Canon model. If it has AF (EF mount), you can use it on a Canon DSLR. If it has MF (FD mount), you can't use it on a model DSLR. You can use it on a mirrorless body with an adapter.

xptoxyz

Not sure the crop factor on canon aps-c but on nikon its 1.5x.

Meaning if I attached my film 50mm on it, the FoV will be like 75mm.

I think its 1.6x on canon.

So a zoom lens with a 28-90 focal length would on a camera with a 1.6x multiplier would be have focal lengths of "~45 - 144"? Meaning if I wanted to shoot with a 50mm focal length I would have actually "zoom" to 31ish to achieve this.

Sorry if I butchered technical terms and such, as I said before I have to read up and learn a lot still.

What's your Canon model. If it has AF (EF mount), you can use it on a Canon DSLR. If it has MF (FD mount), you can't use it on a model DSLR. You can use it on a mirrorless body with an adapter.

The lenses are labelled as EF yes.

Thank you both for your answers.

EDIT: I think I found a nice diagram that explained it well, but if you have the time to answer please go ahead.

Just something else I'd like to confirm, this change in the final photo would not be noticeable while shooting through an optical viewfinder correct?

Evilore if you only want a pancake lens X100 and G1X are probably the best options.

G1X is really not as big as you think. Both X100 and G1X are a hair too big for Jeans pockets but good for jacket pocket. G1X will focus faster but the color/white balance is not as good as X100 IMO. Don't think of it as a 4X lens. Think of it as a 28mm-56mm f/2.8-4 and some emergency tele only usable in day light.

Yeah, I agree with this. The X100 has its quirks, but the sensor-lens combination makes for absolutely gorgeous straight-out-of-camera images - some of the best I've seen. With better supply and the announcement of the X-Pro1, X100 prices are dropping week by week, so it might be wise to wait a month or so to pick up an X100.

The Ricoh GXR+28mm combination is also worth a look (~$900). Ricoh's physical controls and interface are the best in compacts, period. Personally, I haven't jumped on one because the A12 sensor is aging, but it's cheaper, nicer to use, and better built than the X100.

And as far as build and controls go, the Fuji X10 is actually really nice. It's got a fast zoom, and its sensor offers performance that gets pretty close to m4/3. I've been really surprised by images from it on flickr (check this guy's stream especially: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tzajac/) And it's pretty.

Instigator is like this thread's Ken Rockwell.

Flo_Evans

Just something else I'd like to confirm, this change in the final photo would not be noticeable while shooting through an optical viewfinder correct?

The viewfinder is matched to the sensor POV. More specifically the mirror is smaller, and reflects into the viewfinder the same crop factor as the sensor. So no matter the imaging circle of the lens, you will see what the sensor will capture in the viewfinder.

With one caveat, often you will see camera specs that claim 95% viewfinder/100% viewfinder - this means for framing the sensor actually captures a tiny bit more than the viewfinder shows.

xptoxyz

The viewfinder is matched to the sensor POV.

With one caveat, often you will see camera specs that claim 95% viewfinder/100% viewfinder - this means for framing the sensor actually captures a tiny bit more than the viewfinder shows.

Ah, thanks, I actually for some reason thought because of the mirror system that the viewfinder image would actually be the complete image before the crop if that makes any sense. (I guess it would also depends on mirror sizes and other details I'm not educated on)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The new Canon G1X sort of sounds right up Evilore's alley but I think that's a February release.

Also echoing what Jiji said if you want something really small but very customizable. Maybe a GXR and zooming module. At its most compact would be with the 28mm module.

tino

Banned
Not even one of the small entry level models from canon or nikon?

If you're set one of those compact ones, read the stuff on this guy's site:

http://diglloyd.com/index.html

He's done a lot of reviews on those kinds of cameras and he knows what he's talking about.

Is not like small DSLR has better image quality. I think for me the more important thing is how fast I can pull out the camera and snap the shot and put it back.

I am getting a DP1. Next time I go hiking I am going to try to hang it off my back pack's shoulder strap. I will see if that let me take photo faster.

nitewulf

the GF1+20mm f/1.7 has served me very well (Malaysia, Vegas, LA, Upstate NY), the camera has been submerged in water, beaten, bruised and it's kicking like I bought it yesterday. It has a dial for manual control, you click to switch between aperture and shutter settings, very intuitive. Very easy to switch between single shot/multishot/timer modes. it's a fantastic body, and the lens is mindblowing. M4/3rds is a good system to align to, I dont think they are anywhere near obsolete with the lens system in line.

Edit: I meant the GF1, not the GH1 which has a more DSLR form factor.

Seth C

the GF1+20mm f/1.7 has served me very well (Malaysia, Vegas, LA, Upstate NY), the camera has been submerged in water, beaten, bruised and it's kicking like I bought it yesterday. It has a dial for manual control, you click to switch between aperture and shutter settings, very intuitive. Very easy to switch between single shot/multishot/timer modes. it's a fantastic body, and the lens is mindblowing. M4/3rds is a good system to align to, I dont think they are anywhere near obsolete with the lens system in line.

Edit: I meant the GF1, not the GH1 which has a more DSLR form factor.

I have a G3 and I love it.

ChryZ

I need that lens. Right now my fast lenses are two 50mm Minolta Rokkors (1.4 and 1.7) but I really need something with a much wider field of view.
The Panny 7-14mm and the Oly 12mm F2 are both crazy good, unfortunately also pretty pricy.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Craigslist has an X100 with extra battery and adapter ring kit for $900. Fire sale! May jump on that.

tino

Banned
Craigslist has an X100 with extra battery and adapter ring kit for $900. Fire sale! May jump on that.

If you can wait till March when XPro1 is available, you should see more X100 fire sale.

Well, it has good accessibility to manual controls, and is cheaper. Entry level nikon/canon + 35mm or 50 mm prime is not that big, so it's not that much of a burden to carry.

35mm is not a landscape lens though. The only landscape pancakes you can buy are Pentax 15mm/4 or 21mm/3.2.

Seth C

The Panny 7-14mm and the Oly 12mm F2 are both crazy good, unfortunately also pretty pricy.

While fun I don't really have to have anything that wide, but 100mm (for my 50mm lens) is a bit narrow. I make do when I'm shooting in low light though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
35mm is not a landscape lens though. The only landscape pancakes you can buy are Pentax 15mm/4 or 21mm/3.2.

What constitutes a "landscape lens" is in the eye of the user. There are a lot of things on a hike that a 35mm would be just fine for.

Though, I get what you mean that with a wider lens you can "fit more of the landscape in", if that's what's most important, then sure. I was mainly addressing manual controlability and affordability.

says who?

Indeed.

Radec

So a zoom lens with a 28-90 focal length would on a camera with a 1.6x multiplier would be have focal lengths of "~45 - 144"? Meaning if I wanted to shoot with a 50mm focal length I would have actually "zoom" to 31ish to achieve this.

Yes.

Flo_Evans

Nikon doesn't really have a solution for a compact/light/wide lens.

They have the 10-24 and the 12-24 for crop sensors but they are not light in weight or on the wallet :p

There is the old AF-D 18mm 2.8, but I don't think they make it anymore, and unless you get a midrange Nikon it will not autofocus. It is also supposedly not very sharp. I still want one though :)

Radec

^
Check out the AF-S 24mm f/1.4

That glass is a fucking masterpiece. One of the best Nikon had ever produced.

But ofcourse, it comes with a price. Pretty huge price.

If you guys want an Ultra-wide-angle lens on your APS-C body, try the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8.

I have that glass and is superb.

BlueTsunami

If one is not opposed to manual focusing one of the smallest and wide setups is a NEX-5N and a Cosina Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5. And in all honesty Manual Focusing at this focal length isn't that big. Here's a shot with the CV15/4.5 on the NEX-5C pulled off Google...

5348157031_dcbf4393f0_b.jpg

The adapter is adding some length to the setup. The lens shows its compactness on the Ricoh GXR with M-Mount module that natively takes the lens...

6430954081_faec8a0b8c_b.jpg

I'm new to the DSLR world and I know it's a bit too early to be considering an upgrade to my T3i's stock lens. But what are some things I should be researching when the time comes to make that purchase?

I'm new to the DSLR world and I know it's a bit too early to be considering an upgrade to my T3i's stock lens. But what are some things I should be researching when the time comes to make that purchase?

What are you missing from the lens(es) you have? That's the direction you should look when deciding on another lens.

Do you need it faster? longer? wider? lighter? smaller? macro? sharper?

X100 might be your best bet, any aps-c camera/m43 mirroless camera with a prime just looks big in comparison:

u6Qxm.jpg

I still prefer the X-Pro 1 XD

Sony also has a 16mm f2.8 for the Nex systems which is a pancake lens.

The XPro1 looks awesome but its as big as a Leica. You can't use it as an example of mirrorless camera size.

Not only are the Olympus EPM1 and Panasonic Gf3 smaller than the X100 with the 14mm, 17mm or 20mm primes. They're smaller with the new power zoom X lens which is the size of a pancake lens. Actually, the Olympus EP3 and Panasonic GX1 are both smaller than the X100 as well.

tino

Banned
The XPro1 looks awesome but its as big as a Leica. You can't use it as an example of mirrorless camera size.

Not only are the Olympus EPM1 and Panasonic Gf3 smaller than the X100 with the 14mm, 17mm or 20mm primes. They're smaller with the new power zoom X lens which is the size of a pancake lens. Actually, the Olympus EP3 and Panasonic GX1 are both smaller than the X100 as well.

Well XPro1 has buildin EVF/OVF. It's not fair to compare XPro1 to GX1. Maybe when OMD come out it can put up more of a fight.

If you want a viewfinder-less body, I still think 5n gives you more body for the money. Then again we go back to the lack of lens selection issue.

I really think all major mirrorless systems have serious weakness. So my conclusion is to go dual wielding if I expect to spend decent amount of the money on mirrorless gears.

BlueTsunami

Two models, one with an AA filter the other without is real interesting. At these resolutions moire is supposed to not be as much of an issue. One should be getting a huge amount of resolution out of a 36MP file that isn't hamstrung by an AA filter.

On the flip, archiving 36MP files is a bit much. Storage is cheap but that's a lot of weight on a single file.

Flo_Evans

Personally, I'd much rather have speed and ISO performance over mega-megapixels.

36mp just reminds me I need to go back and archive all my 16mp files from last year and I am dreading it :p

edit: since I am not really planning on getting a D4 or a D800 I got myself an old N80 off ebay for $50! :p

Yfu9J.jpg

I'll scan some negs latter at 36MP :lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
On the flip, archiving 36MP files is a bit much. Storage is cheap but that's a lot of weight on a single file.

36mp would be what ~50mb depending on bit depth, information in the scene data and compression rate?

I'm certainly glad storage is cheap, one 6x17 3200 ppi scan is ~1.7 gigs.

I just bought a Canon 200mm 2.8L and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for my 7D.
I am VERY happy with both. But somehow the Sigma has something special that i can't describe yet. It's producing a lot of keepers.

I'd recommend both. And i recommend primes. It's a bit harder work, but it pays off imo. I still have a zoom lens, but i think i will use it a lot less now.

Red

I just bought a Canon 200mm 2.8L and a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for my 7D.
I am VERY happy with both. But somehow the Sigma has something special that i can't describe yet. It's producing a lot of keepers.

I'd recommend both. And i recommend primes. It's a bit harder work, but it pays off imo. I still have a zoom lens, but i think i will use it a lot less now.

I have a Sigma 30mm for my 7D and I hate it. The autofocus takes forever and the focus ring clicks when I turn it. I always stick with my Zeiss 50mm or Tokina 11-16, and leave the Sigma in the bag unless I really need it.

giga

I have a Sigma 30mm for my 7D and I hate it. The autofocus takes forever and the focus ring clicks when I turn it. I always stick with my Zeiss 50mm or Tokina 11-16, and leave the Sigma in the bag unless I really need it.
Your focus ring is clicking? Your lens is faulty. I can corroborate that the 30mm is fantastic and focuses quickly.

Red

Your focus ring is clicking? Your lens is faulty. I can corroborate that the 30mm is fantastic and focuses quickly.

It works fine like 60% of the time. Sometimes it clicks, and the ring seems to "jump" in spots, like it's smoother in some sections that others. I googled it a while ago and saw others with the same problem, and assumed it was just an issue with that model lens.

Yeah, Sigma is known for iffy quality control.
If it's a bad one, return it. If you have a good one, it's great.

Your issue is not how it should be, obviously.

BlueTsunami

36mp would be what ~50mb depending on bit depth, information in the scene data and compression rate?

I'm certainly glad storage is cheap, one 6x17 3200 ppi scan is ~1.7 gigs.

Jesus. Gives a new meaning to "getting the shot". At 1.7 gigs the photo definitely needs to be worth it. I also can't imagine working with such a file with my current PC.

First leaked picture of Olympus OM-D

Olympus-OM-D-camera1.jpeg

Oh man, you can tell the build quality is going to be fantastic. I don't have any interest in 4/3rd cameras but I'm sure this OM-D is gonna' be a beaut'.

dmshaposv

Is it the old style one with the "speckled matte" finish or the new type with the plasticky finish?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Jesus. Gives a new meaning to "getting the shot". At 1.7 gigs the photo definitely needs to be worth it. I also can't imagine working with such a file with my current PC.

Yea its a little ridiculous when you think about it. But I wanted to start with the highest resolution first and use that as my master file for all smaller prints and web files, instead of scanning one transparency over and over at different resolutions. Its more initial work but i think its worth it.

My computer definitely couldnt handle them, the main problem was the bottleneck of the HDD where photoshop puts its temp files. Bought a OCZ SSD and its much better now. It would take minimum 30 minutes to save one file with layers in PS, now it only takes about a minute or two on the SSD. This also improved the scan times which would take around 40 minutes to scan and then an hour or more to save the file to its final location. (for some reason hassleblads software scans them into a tmp file then moves it from the temp file to the file you named it)

Overall its been a fun learning experience. I'm definitely more proficient in photoshop than i was before, when i would use lightroom for all my DSLR shots.

I've been debating between getting that Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Canon 28mm 1.8 for a while. I'd like something wider than my 50mm 1.4.

If you have a good 30mm copy, you will not be sorry. Adress the issue (of sigma's bad quality control) before you buy it. Ask what will be done if you get a bad copy. Seriously, the people who have a good copy are very very happy.

Red

Is it the old style one with the "speckled matte" finish or the new type with the plasticky finish?

It's not speckled, but it's got a matte finish. I'm guessing by "plasticky" you mean shiny, which it isn't.

I just played around with it to remind myself what exactly it felt like, and the best way I can put it is "crunchy." The ring does not turn smoothly. It's exactly the opposite of my Zeiss 50mm, which is a dream. In video, the Zeiss makes a perfect, creamy rack focus. The Sigma's is jerky and almost unusable.

I'm not a fan of the infinitely turning ring, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom