• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I've been debating between getting that Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Canon 28mm 1.8 for a while. I'd like something wider than my 50mm 1.4.

If I end up sticking with my Canon system I'll be getting the 28mm lens. I'll let you know what I think if it happens.

First leaked picture of Olympus OM-D

Olympus-OM-D-camera1.jpeg

I would be intrigued by this camera if the sensor was APS-C. Looks great.

Zyzyxxz

If I end up sticking with my Canon system I'll be getting the 28mm lens. I'll let you know what I think if it happens.

I would be intrigued by this camera if the sensor was APS-C. Looks great.

Don't count on it, it's going to be a Micro 4/3 sensor so that it will be compatible with m4/3 lenses.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been debating between getting that Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Canon 28mm 1.8 for a while. I'd like something wider than my 50mm 1.4.

It was a great budget lens 5 years ago when there weren't a lot of alternatives (especially for Nikon AF-S). I had to send mine in for recalibration, though, due to back focus issues.

kudos.

I need a good digital camera to buy my girlfriend for valentines day. She's not extremely into photography but would like a camera for trips, parties and whatever. Anything under $100 that's takes solid pictures?

OM-D? What?

I LOVE my OM-1... when is that thing being revealed?

February 8th.

Looks like it will be launched the month after that at a price above the E-P3 but below the NEX7.

The (semi-)confirmed highlights:

- OM-like body design
- weather-sealed
- magnesium body
- 5-axis IBIS (not sure what that means, but it sounds like the IBIS system is overhauled)
- built-in EVF (same resolution as the VF2 external viewfinder for Pen cameras)
- faster AF than the latest generation of Pen cameras (probably not optimized for C-AF though)
- 16MP (sensor unconfirmed, but it's a good bet it's a modified version of the G3 sensor)
- Similar OLED screen as the E-P3 but tilting

Zyzyxxz

ugh same sensor as the G3 which isn't it the same sensor as the original GH1 but just modified and updated, correct me if I am wrong.

tino

Banned
I need a good digital camera to buy my girlfriend for valentines day. She's not extremely into photography but would like a camera for trips, parties and whatever. Anything under $100 that's takes solid pictures?
LOL 100?

An used F100fd is best you can get for 100.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It would take minimum 30 minutes to save one file with layers in PS, now it only takes about a minute or two on the SSD.

You can also try saving as uncompressed TIFF files. When PS saves to psd files, it uses compression via only a single-threaded process.

ugh same sensor as the G3 which isn't it the same sensor as the original GH1 but just modified and updated, correct me if I am wrong.

No, the sensors in the GH line are dífferent. Panasonic doesn't share them (with Olympus).

The assumption is that, since Oly doesn't manufacture its own sensors, no new announcement for sensor partnership (though Samsung and Sony have shown interest) has been made and the OM-D has a MP bump (compared to the Pens), it must use the G3 sensor (also used in the Panasonic GX1).

Olympus of course modifies the sensor to meet its own AF specs (among other things) and then slaps its own image processing engine on top of it all.

Zyzyxxz

No, the sensors in the GH line are dífferent. Panasonic doesn't share them (with Olympus).

The assumption is that, since Oly doesn't manufacture its own sensors, no new announcement for sensor partnership (though Samsung and Sony have shown interest) has been made and the OM-D has a MP bump (compared to the Pens), it must use the G3 sensor (also used in the Panasonic GX1).

Olympus of course modifies the sensor to meet its own AF specs (among other things) and then slaps its own image processing engine on top of it all.

Oh so who made the sensors for the EP1 through EP3?

ChryZ

You're wrong. G3 got a slightly improved version of the GH2's 16.7M sensor, the GH1 had a 14M sensor. The new sensor allowed faster AF, less noise at same iso, etc.

Log4Girlz

This thread is huge! I just bought a Nikon Coolpix s8200 (my father swears by the brand, he was a former professional photographer in the 70's). *skip to last sentence if you don't want to read why*

I wanted to snap pictures at the Zoo before my vacation was over and the camera my mother had given to me second hand stopped working out of the blue! By the time I went to Best Buy to buy another, damn it was closed (online it said store hours were till 10 pm, and they closed at 9!!), but its my last day to purchase a camera before vaca is up..so I went to Walmart...the camera I wanted was out of stock (and that's after waiting 30 min before someone could find a key to the display! ARGH). Well, I decided to get a Nikon Coolpix s8200. I checked my phone real quick to see if the reviews were good (I was only looking at stars lol, not text).

Anyone have any personal opinions on the camera? I didn't have much of a problem buying a reasonable camera now and getting something way better later, so I'm not worried I made too brash a decision.

You're wrong. G3 got a slightly improved version of the GH2's 16.7M sensor, the GH1 had a 14M sensor. The new sensor allowed faster AF, less noise at same iso, etc.

Nope. You're actually wrong. The GH2 sensor is actually an oversized 18mp multi-aspect sensor that allows you to get a full 16 mp image without cropping in 4:3,3:2 and 16:9. Although its optimized for video, it's still better than the G3/GX1 sensor for stills as well. A lot of people think that Panasonich doesn't share the GH sensors with Olympus for a competitive advantage and because they are oversized they wouldn't work as easily with the previous PENs' IBIS system.

Oh so who made the sensors for the EP1 through EP3?

Panasonic. :)

Panasonic has provided (m)4/3 sensors for Olympus all the time, except for the very first 4/3 camera, the E1.

Lately there have been strong rumors of a Samsung-Olympus partnership with the Korean giant sharing components.

Salacious Crumb

I figured it was time to dip my toe into this camera thing. I wanted something cheap, but not shit, but I quickly learned that you get what you pay for with cameras. So I turned to the second hand market and was able to nab myself a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 for $150.

I figure a 3 year old expensive camera ($750 rrp locally) would be better than a new $150 camera.

Reassure me of my purchase gaf, did I make the right decision, does the LX3 still hold up?

It's not speckled, but it's got a matte finish. I'm guessing by "plasticky" you mean shiny, which it isn't.

I just played around with it to remind myself what exactly it felt like, and the best way I can put it is "crunchy." The ring does not turn smoothly. It's exactly the opposite of my Zeiss 50mm, which is a dream. In video, the Zeiss makes a perfect, creamy rack focus. The Sigma's is jerky and almost unusable.

I'm not a fan of the infinitely turning ring, either.

i have to say that manually focussing on lenses with video isn't that great anyway. Even with smooth lenses it's hard not to cause some vibration. I hate that. The image is so great. I'm still looking at ways to make focussing in video a real smooth experience on a DSLR

ChryZ

Nope. You're actually wrong. The GH2 sensor is actually an oversized 18mp multi-aspect sensor that allows you to get a full 16 mp image without cropping in 4:3,3:2 and 16:9. Although its optimized for video, it's still better than the G3/GX1 sensor for stills as well. A lot of people think that Panasonich doesn't share the GH sensors with Olympus for a competitive advantage and because they are oversized they wouldn't work as easily with the previous PENs' IBIS system.
I stand corrected in regard to the minor GH2/G3 difference, but they're still not the same sensor used in GH1 as previously assumed.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
how long do we have to wait for full frame to become affordable and mainstream? It was expensive 4 years ago and it's still fucking expensive. I'm tired of my film camera.

dpreview savaged both the J1+N1 nikons in their reviews. Both less than 70%. I haven't been following but I was shocked when i read the review. that bad huh.

dmshaposv

i have to say that manually focussing on lenses with video isn't that great anyway. Even with smooth lenses it's hard not to cause some vibration. I hate that. The image is so great. I'm still looking at ways to make focussing in video a real smooth experience on a DSLR

What bugs me is how ridiculosly expensive follow focus solutions are for DSLRs, when they are mostly just a rubber strapped on your focus ring with a dial.

I'd rather just put a jar opening rubber around my focus ring.But they are clunky. Wish someone had a very conveniant and affordable DIY follow focus setup.

Seth C

Touch screen pull focus.

tino

Banned
1000$ full frame DSLR is tolerable.

You can buy a 5D or 1DS Mark II for around 1000.

I don't think any Japanese company will make affordable FF because people would start using old MF lenses. You have to wait for an American company or the Chinese to do it, in some distant future.

FStop7

Banned
I'm starting to wonder if something is up with the 1DX.

It's due out in a month and a half. The NFL playoffs are in full swing. Normally when Canon has a new flagship body so close to release there are pros who've been testing the body posting their results, often of NFL games and other pro sporting events. So far, nada. No real hands on previews out in the field, either.

ana

Welp....

I have sold all my Canon gear (body and lenses) and now going back to Nikon...

One lens is already on the way and hopefully D7000 bodies will be available again sometime next month.. Right now they are out of stock everywhere where I live..

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
You can buy a 5D or 1DS Mark II for around 1000.

I don't think any Japanese company will make affordable FF because people would start using old MF lenses. You have to wait for an American company or the Chinese to do it, in some distant future.

that is one of the reasons I want this.

also did you mean buying it uses? because it's around 2000$.

Red

It helps to have someone assisting you. A shoulder mount will do if you are shooting solo. The ideal solution I would guess is a focus puller, but I don't have one.

I use a Manfrotto 190XPROB and a Manfrotto 322RC2 joystick head and even when pulling focus the camera tens to remain pretty stationary. A joystick head is still less than ideal for video, though.

Kraftwerk

I asked this 2 weeks ago, but my budget has slightly changed, so need some more advice.

What would you recommend for around $1200? ( with lens)

I want to get into making some videos for friends and family.

My previous budget was around $600 and most suggested the NEX5N.

I asked this 2 weeks ago, but my budget has slightly changed, so need some more advice.

Is it primarily for videos and stills on the side? It makes a big difference. Most still cameras can do (full) HD videos, but you have limited controls over... everything.

But the current champ in that category and in that price range is the Panasonic GH2. No other camera comes close. Even better if you use hacked firmware.

Rumored to be discontinued soon. Bargains could be coming or you just wait for the successor.

Kraftwerk

Is it primarily for videos and stills on the side? It makes a big difference. Most still cameras can do (full) HD videos, but you have limited controls over... everything.

But the current champ in that category and in that price range is the Panasonic GH2. No other camera comes close. Even better if you use hacked firmware.

Rumored to be discontinued soon. Bargains could be coming or you just wait for the successor.

I mainly want to do Videos.

What are your thoughts on the 60D?

I use old MF lenses on my D90 now, why do you need an affordable full-frame camera to use them?

spicy cho

Pentax K5. Oh, actually if you want to do more video stuff the t3i might be the better choice.

Kraftwerk

Great still camera.

Good for video.

Don't take my word for it. Read about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/page16.asp

Cool, will read this now.

I just finished reading/watching some reviews for the GH2, and it does seem like THE camera for my purpose, and it is in the perfect price range.

Pentax K5. Oh, actually if you want to do more video stuff the t3i might be the better choice.

Will look into these. Thank you.

If anyone has more expertise and advice, please guide me, as I am a complete beginner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom