• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I use old MF lenses on my D90 now, why do you need an affordable full-frame camera to use them?

Fixed lenses in the standard range (24mm-100mm) achieved great image qualify 40 years ago before auto focus showed up. Modern prime lenses just have more feature. They aren't particularly sharper.

Take Nikon for example, modern 28mm and 50mm aren't really better than the AIS versions. That's why Nikon still make and sell 50/1.2 manual focus lens to this day. As a matter of fact these MF lenses can fetch more money on the used market because they are "better". And Nikon don't bother to make better f/2.8 primes any more, they just make either $2000 dollar f/1.4 version or a huge zoom lenses that offer overall better IQ (i.e the 14-24mm).

In order to use these old lenses to their fullest potential, you need a sensor that's as close to the film size as possible.

I wish Samsung can stop imitating the Japanese for a moment and ball up and make a FF EVIL.

Zoibie

Hey Photography-Gaf, I figure this is as good a place as any to ask for some pointers. I'm pretty inexperienced at taking shots on anything other than a phone, but I want to try and get more into photography. Any good recommendations for a camera that's easy to get a hang of the basics or a good website for beginners?

Zyzyxxz

Will look into these. Thank you.

If anyone has more expertise and advice, please guide me, as I am a complete beginner.

If your main purpose is video just get the Panasonic GH2, it's the best interchangeable lens camera for video, comparable to the Canon 5D MKII which is more than twice the price.

With the hacked firmware you can achieve stunning results.

If he is talking AI lenses they won't meter.

So was I; they will meter on the D7000 and above. Full-frame sensor has nothing to do with that, just whether the camera maker wants to support it or not.

In order to use these old lenses to their fullest potential, you need a sensor that's as close to the film size as possible.

Yeah, but the posters were making it sound like the lenses wouldn't work with a crop-sensor.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That DigitalRev guy makes me want to punch someone. I can't stand that guy.

Pity because they cover useful stuff.

If you love Leica or Nikon, DigitalRev is a fun experience.

If you love Canon, Sony, Pentax, Sigma, Samsung, the bias can be very annoying.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys, do most tripods work with most cameras? I have a Nikon D7000.

Desperado

I love DigitalRev.
Hey Photography-Gaf, I figure this is as good a place as any to ask for some pointers. I'm pretty inexperienced at taking shots on anything other than a phone, but I want to try and get more into photography. Any good recommendations for a camera that's easy to get a hang of the basics or a good website for beginners?

Price range?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Guys, do most tripods work with most cameras? I have a Nikon D7000.

yes but it wouldn't hurt trying a tripod with your camera before buying it just to be sure it's comfortable to use. But yes, these things are pretty standard.

I like DigitalRev's reviews for their focus on usability and design over specs. The only times their stuff falls on its face (and oh, does it ever) is when they try too hard to be funny.

The Internet's Most Talented Photographer was pretty hard to watch but one of the contestants being caught plagiarizing near the end was awesome.

I liked Cheap Camera Pro Photographer, especially the last episode, Chase Jarvis with the Lego Cam.

I don't understand how you guys can hate a guy that tapes DSLR bodies to the bottom of his feet and runs around the streets of Hong Kong.

MRORANGE

Digitalrev is really Top Gear for camera's, if they made it technical it would not even get 1/2 of the views it currently gets. Although they do some good video's from time to time.

Kraftwerk

O.K

I have narrowed it down between the Canon 60D and Panasonic GH2. Going to go play with both today. I Called 6 of the big camera stores downtown, and only one had the Panasonic GH2 in stock.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm looking to start shooting some nature/outdoor/landscape/whatever stuff this spring. Do you guys use a polarizer filter for that stuff? I've been reading up and it seems like it's recommended for landscapes. Figured I'd ask before dropping $100.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm looking to start shooting some nature/outdoor/landscape/whatever stuff this spring. Do you guys use a polarizer filter for that stuff? I've been reading up and it seems like it's recommended for landscapes. Figured I'd ask before dropping $100.
yes and no. It totally depends on the situation. I definitely don't recommend getting a CPL with the intention of leaving it on a majority of the time.

For daytime shots its great to darken skies, take glare off of foliage, take glare off of water etc. Definitely not recommended for sunrise/sunset shots nor looking in the direction of the sun.

It definitely takes a while to get used to, and its definitely annoying that they don't come with any instructions. I used to hate them, but now use mine occasionally.

Flo_Evans

Definitely nice to have. Also nice for shooting cars outdoors.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
O.K

I have narrowed it down between the Canon 60D and Panasonic GH2. Going to go play with both today. I Called 6 of the big camera stores downtown, and only one had the Panasonic GH2 in stock.

If it was me, I'd get the 60D.

Sometimes. It's a useful tool.

subversus

I'm looking at photos taken with Zeiss Distagon and Planar and damn.... I'm thinking if I should save some money and buy one GREAT lens instead of two good lenses.

also are their old lenses are as good as new ones? I remember somebody was saying that they are as good as new models...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm looking at photos taken with Zeiss Distagon and Planar and damn.... I'm thinking if I should save some money and buy one GREAT lens instead of two good lenses.

also are their old lenses are as good as new ones? I remember somebody was saying that they are as good as new models...

um yes. Zeiss has been making top of the line lenses for decades. Cue bluetsunami...

Zeiss were always at the top. Their Contax SLR lenses are some of the best ever. The modern ZM/ZF/ZE/ZK lenses have updated coatings and designs and are even better.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

If you plan on getting an EF Mount (Canon) camera then you can adapt Zeiss's Contax/Yashica lenses. In which case you'll be buying a lens that is either equally as good as its modern counterpart (like the 35/1.4 Distagon, 50/1.4 Planar and 85/1.4 Planar. The 50mm and 85mm are unchanged designs, the 35mm renders differently but is very much as good as the current 35mm) or nearly as good (like the 28/2 Distagon, 21/2.8 Distagon). I personally bought my Zeiss C/Y 50/1.7 (which doesn't have a modern counterpart) for $150 two years ago and its treated me very well. Prices have gone up though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just wish my C/Y Planar 1.7 would work on my 5D. The mirror hits, even with modification. :(

Damn that sucks! There's seems to be a huge variance in how the mirror swings on 5Ds. This issue doesn't exist on the 1D series cameras. If I do end up buying a used 5DMKI I hope it plays well with my 50/1.7 since I love it so much.

subversus

I researched a bit and now I'm tempted to get Jupiter or Industar lenses, lol

but Jupiter won't work on EOS... some Industar lenses too... I'll think about it, may be I'll get separate sets for NEX and EOS.

tino

Banned
I researched a bit and now I'm tempted to get Jupiter or Industar lenses, lol

but Jupiter won't work on EOS... some Industar lenses too... I'll think about it, may be I'll get separate sets for NEX and EOS.

Most of the MF SLR lenses should work on both EOS and NEX bodies. What Jupiter lens you want to buy?

Kraftwerk

I'm considering a Nikon D5100 (within my price range) or a Canon Rebel T2i...thoughts?

Based on the reviews that I have seen, the canon does better in video. For stills, they are pretty much the same, at least to my eyes. The Nikon does do better in higher ISO's tho. The Nikon also has a tilting screen.

Again, this is based on reading and watching reviews, so correct me if I am wrong here.

I would go with the Canon. Just a better all-round camera IMO.

MRORANGE

I'm considering a Nikon D5100 (within my price range) or a Canon Rebel T2i...thoughts?

good camera, same sensor as the d7000 and has autofocus for video which is a plus.

Also what do you need it for more? video or photography?

Both good, but i'd go for the T2i. I've tried both and greatly preferred the "feel" and interface of the Canon. Just seemed like a better quality product.

^ note the t2i does not have a flip out screen the canon t3i has a flip out screen (pretty much the same anyway)

Looking for any recommendations on a nice camera sling/backpack that can hold a 5D mark ii, 24-105mm lens, an addition 50mm f1.2 prime and a tripod. Tired of carrying my tripod around, and looking for a way to bring everything in one easy to carry bag.

Any recommendations would be great!

Futureman

Possible 5DIII sighting!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/23/2727948/canon-5d-mark-iii-spotted-on-safari-in-kenya

B3J8584-575x383.jpg

probably 5DIII because...
No pop up flash.
Larger LCD than 7D/5DII.
New button layout.
New scroll wheel.

I mainly use mine now for video and would love to upgrade for better ISO performance. Can't really use much at ISO 1600 or above. I'll probably sell my 5DII right when it comes out and upgrade.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Ya, that definitely looks like a 5D3. Excite.

But not for my 5D2 to drop in value. I don't think I'm ever going to sell it though, will just become a backup body.

dmshaposv

So 7D's dedicated movie/still switch and much of the 5DII's body but with 16:9 LCD.

Also, imagine if Canon drops a bomb that the 5DMKIII is the first DSLR that can shoot 2K or 4K @ 24p. I don't see it though, because it would mean sending the C300 to die...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
4K DSLR is supposed to be more at the end of the year, according to that event Canon had in November. Definitely not happening on the 5D3.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sony is already starting to push 4K televisions, so I expect to see some cameras with that feature soon enough. :p

What kind of R/WR would that require though? Even if the videos are compressed.

In other news, Sony has developed a sensor with a RGBW pattern. Aimed for small sensor cameras/phones.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201201/12-010E/index.html

8ido1800000eu16t.jpg

Isn't this this same thing Kodak developed in 2007?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2007/6/14/kodakhighsens

Maybe Sony bought it out when Kodak went bankrupt.
Kodak’s new proprietary technology builds on the existing Bayer Pattern by adding panchromatic, or “clear” pixels to the red, green, and blue pixels already on the sensor. Since these pixels are sensitive to all wavelengths of visible light, they collect a significantly higher proportion of the light striking the sensor. The remaining red, green, and blue pixels are then used to record the color information of the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom