• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

olbareun

Except the X100 has a built in three stop ND filter that can be programmed to a single button toggle :D

Yeah which is needed given that at f2 it only goes to 1/1000. On sunny days, I have to use ND filter even at F4 to prevent overexposing. I have the FN button set to ND filter and have ISO set to auto.. but I really wish they do another firmware update to

1.Have RAW button reprogrammable as FN2 button so I can put ISO there
2.Have auto ISO option included in the ISO settings
3.Have auto ND filter option

It is a little sad that one of the reasons for people trying to jump to X-Pro 1 are these minor firmware issues that can be easily addressed.. but hey they need to make money I guess.

kaskade

Ok Gaf, I have a question that I can't seem to find a clear answer to. My current camera is a rebel xsi which is obviously a crop sensor. I was looking into maybe upgrading to this as a fairly general purpose lens. Now I know that with the crop sensor the focal length is 1.6x making the image more zoomed in than it would be on a full frame. So I guess my question is basically about the ef vs ef-s lenses. Would lets say a 50mm focal length on an ef lens be the same image as an ef-s lens? Or does the ef-s lens produce a "true" 50mm focal length? I'm assuming it's the same but I can't seem to find an answer.

East Lake

They're the same.

In case you're wondering where to find confirmation Canon USA lists 35mm equivalents for EF-S lenses. The lens name has the non-cropped focal length.

kaskade

Ok, I was just using my kit lens as a basis (EF-S) as a basis on what the focal length would be on the low end and I wanted to make sure it would be the same. I was thinking about eventually getting that lens and a speedlite.

hEist

Anyone here using a manuell lense with a comfirm chip?
might share your experience with it?

Thinking about to purchase a new lens, but it is manuell and i really like to know, how the comfirm chip's are working.

tino

Banned
It just occurred to me that Canon is probably down marketing the 1Ds.

First of all, Canon is beefing up the 1D with bigger sensor and call it the 1DX to cpmpete head-to-head with Nikon D3s/D4. Then 1Ds Mark IV could very well get a new name.

Second of all Nikon is going to release a 36mp D800. That to me is basically down marking the $6000 3Dx. How much can you sell the successor of the D700? $3000-4000 max, certainly not $6k.

If Nikon is moving the lineup around, you know the rivalry Japanese like to make a model to compete with it directly. I can see Canon calling the new 1Ds something-X and sell it around the D800 price. I am guessing 3DX?

On top of that, the 5D3 is rumored to have a low 22mp sensor. (This rumor still need verification.) I am guessing the market price of the 5D3 will be eventually lowered than 5D2's currect price. So Canon is probably going to double punching Nikon D800 with 2 models. Man Canon is not fucking around.

My question is this, is Nikon really going to sell D800 at over 3 grand and give up the sub-3 grand FF market? Nikon is stupid if they do this.

Well they already made the Nikon 1, I am not surprised if they are being stupid again.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
im not sure im following you, but the D4 will knock the D3x and D3s down in price and eventually be discontinued. The D4 will take their place as the top of the line 6k+ camera and the D800 will replace the D700 in the 3k range.

tino

Banned
im not sure im following you, but the D4 will knock the D3x and D3s down in price and eventually be discontinued. The D4 will take their place as the top of the line 6k+ camera and the D800 will replace the D700 in the 3k range.
The D4 is a sports camera, its a replacement for D3s, it is not a replacement for D3x.

I am saying Nikon may plan to replace D3x with D800, at least for a while.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Totally pie in the sky but it would be awesome if by Canon merging the 1D lines the newly created flagship camera would be a Medium Format body at where the 1Ds would have been priced. Of course this would mean a new line of lenses just for said body.

Flo_Evans

The D4 is a sports camera, its a replacement for D3s, it is not a replacement for D3x.

I am saying Nikon may plan to replace D3x with D800, at least for a while.

Seems like nikon is going to concede the "entry level" full frame.

Unless they plan on the D7100 taking over for the D300 as the top end crop sensor and having the D400 be the entry level full frame?

Maybe they don't care and want more separation between the DX and FX bodies?

Who knows. I see them alienating allot of people though by ignoring the lower high end segment.

captive

Seems like nikon is going to concede the "entry level" full frame.

Unless they plan on the D7100 taking over for the D300 as the top end crop sensor and having the D400 be the entry level full frame?

Maybe they don't care and want more separation between the DX and FX bodies?

Who knows. I see them alienating allot of people though by ignoring the lower high end segment.

how would they be pricing out the prosumer market? The D700 was 3k when it came out. We don't know a MSRP yet, the rumor is 4k, which would put its street price at 3500-3700. Frankly if you can afford 2500-3k for a body alone you can probably swing the extra grand pretty easily. Just save longer, or wait longer. These cameras aren't impulse purchases for anyone but the wealthy and very successful pro photographers.

tino

Banned
how would they be pricing out the prosumer market? The D700 was 3k when it came out. We don't know a MSRP yet, the rumor is 4k, which would put its street price at 3500-3700. Frankly if you can afford 2500-3k for a body alone you can probably swing the extra grand pretty easily. Just save longer. These cameras aren't impulse purchases for anyone but the wealthy and very successful pro photographers.

But you have to consider that Conan may be moving the 5D down market at the same time. If 5D3 is indeed a 22mp camera, it's designed as a watered down 5D2. It's going to be price a lot closer to 1999.

Think of Canon splitting 50D into 7D and 60D. When 7D was released, many people thought this is a proper successor of 50D and there won't be a 60D. But 1 year later Canon released the 60D anyway, with cheaper chassis and AF components.

We haven't had any movement in the price department for the entry level FF since the 5D mark I. They essentually have had the same 2700-> 2000 price curve for the life span of the models (5D, 5D2, D700, A900). Sony tried to do the cheaper FF body (A850) with limited success. If Canon annouce the 5D3 with lower listed price, it will give earthquake to the low end and the most popular FF market.

Flo_Evans

how would they be pricing out the prosumer market? The D700 was 3k when it came out. We don't know a MSRP yet, the rumor is 4k, which would put its street price at 3500-3700. Frankly if you can afford 2500-3k for a body alone you can probably swing the extra grand pretty easily. Just save longer, or wait longer. These cameras aren't impulse purchases for anyone but the wealthy and very successful pro photographers.

I dunno, but just talking to people that have and love their D700's none of them want or plan on getting a D800. It doesn't seem like a true successor to the 700 but like tino said a cheaper D3x - wich will suit some people just fine but not the majority that where D700 customers.

IDK, maybe the sensor will be totally awesome and once it is announced and demo'd the enthusiasm will be there, I am just not seeing much desire from the pro/semi pro/serious amateur photographers I know.

giga

I always find it silly how companies just discontinue their old models. They should follow a tiered lineup. Sell the 5D3 for how much the 5D2 sells for now and mark down the 5D2 to keep it as an entry level FF model.

I also find it crazy how Nikon doesn't have a semi-pro/pro bodies at cheaper prices. Their cheapest full frame is $2700+. I also don't know what's going on with the D300S--is the D7000 supposed to replace it? It's been out of stock in many retailers for a while now.

Also--I believe Canon said the 1DX is supposed to replace both the 1DS and 1D series. (It falls right into price bracket of the 1DS at $6-7k.) I think they recognized that people who want resolution go for medium format or the much cheaper 5D instead. Speaking of that, they released a technical report on the 1DX today: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2012/01/

I'd spend that 1k on a nice full frame lens. I imagine the 5D2 will drop to $1500 on the used market when the 5D3 hits. That's hot.

Flo_Evans

oh and I got my hands on a X100 :)

98oCx.jpg

should of dusted it off...

1st impressions: NICE!

I really dig the old school feel. It kind of breaks down on the backside though. The rear controls/buttons feel more like a P&S vs. the sublime top dials and aperture ring.

The biggest negative for me was the AF. It seemed really slow and inaccurate (caveat: I was inside with low light). Manual focusing through the EVF is difficult (I thought there was a way to have it magnify?) might need to experiment more.

The hybrid viewfinder is sweet, I love the overlays and being able to quickly switch to EVF.

Fun fun camera. Need to see if I can play with it more today and examine some RAW files :)

update:

This camera produces so really, really nice files.

The AWB is spot on (I usually have to tweak my nikon RAW files) the IQ is outstanding!

The menus/UI is kinda rough... hopefully fuji updates some things? You can assign various useful things to the Fn button, but it really doesn't let you change it in "real time" it just opens that menu item! It acts more like a menu shortcut than a true function button like you would expect.

Manual focus. For the life of me I can't figure out how they expect you to MF this camera. The ring is tiny, and the its "by wire" meaning you still have to wait for the (super slow) AF motor to catch up to where you set it. There is an option for manual focus confirmation, but for the life of me I don't see it doing anything. This wouldn't be so terrible except the AF is not that impressive either. It seems to rack the focus, then give up and displays "AF!" more often than not in difficult conditions. The speed/accuracy in optimal conditions was perfectly fine, but compared to a nice DSLR (not fair ok whatever) the AF is lacking. It is also somewhat cumbersome to shift the AF point around the screen. You have to hold down a button and move it, the d-pad is mapped to other (silly) options by itself. There is also curiously no dynamic AF point? Unless I missed it completely.

Video. Decent. Did not test this much, looks good but it seems to not be able to lock the iso/shutter speed?

ND filter. cool! but again, buried in menus.

Nice camera. I like it, not sure if I would buy it myself. If you can get around/deal with the menus the IQ is worth it IMHO.

captive

IDK, maybe the sensor will be totally awesome and once it is announced and demo'd the enthusiasm will be there, I am just not seeing much desire from the pro/semi pro/serious amateur photographers I know.
not likely. Physics are physics. Tom Hogan has a way you can get a pretty good idea of what the D800 will look like. Take a D7000 or are they on 7100? Regardless whatever the newest higher megapixel crop camera is it should have the same pixel density as the new Nikon D800 sensor (infact he postulates its the same sensor just not cropped) so if you took a picture with it and blew it up appropriately to the size of the D800 image you'll get a good idea of what it looks like.

I always find it silly how companies just discontinue their old models. They should follow a tiered lineup. Sell the 5D3 for how much the 5D2 sells for now and mark down the 5D2 to keep it as an entry level FF model.

I also find it crazy how Nikon doesn't have a semi-pro/pro bodies at cheaper prices. Their cheapest full frame is $2700+. I also don't know what's going on with the D300S--is the D7000 supposed to replace it? It's been out of stock in many retailers for a while now.

Also--I believe Canon said the 1DX is supposed to replace both the 1DS and 1D series. (It falls right into price bracket of the 1DS at $6-7k.) I think they recognized that people who want resolution go for medium format or the much cheaper 5D instead. Speaking of that, they released a technical report on the 1DX today: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2012/01/

I'd spend that 1k on a nice full frame lens. I imagine the 5D2 will drop to $1500 on the used market when the 5D3 hits. That's hot.
this man gets it. Used is the way to go.

I imagine it has to do with the production process- like once they set up fabrication of the 5D3's sensor, it will then be more expensive to make a 5D2 sensor because they would have to switch the production line back. Maybe they could replace it with two models- if the 5D2 is a full frame 50D, the 5D3 could be a full-frame 60D (smaller, lighter, cheaper) and they could come up with a new model number (3D?) for a full-frame 7D. But I don't know how the component costs break down, there might not be enough of a difference in price to make that approach worth it to Canon.

tino

Banned
I imagine it has to do with the production process- like once they set up fabrication of the 5D3's sensor, it will then be more expensive to make a 5D2 sensor because they would have to switch the production line back. Maybe they could replace it with two models- if the 5D2 is a full frame 50D, the 5D3 could be a full-frame 60D (smaller, lighter, cheaper) and they could come up with a new model number (3D?) for a full-frame 7D. But I don't know how the component costs break down, there might not be enough of a difference in price to make that approach worth it to Canon.
Sensor cost is proportion to sensor area, just like CPU/GPU chips. The cost of the 5D sensor and the 5D2 sensor is pretty much the same to Canon.

Flo_Evans

not likely. Physics are physics. Tom Hogan has a way you can get a pretty good idea of what the D800 will look like. Take a D7000 or are they on 7100? Regardless whatever the newest higher megapixel crop camera is it should have the same pixel density as the new Nikon D800 sensor (infact he postulates its the same sensor just not cropped) so if you took a picture with it and blew it up appropriately to the size of the D800 image you'll get a good idea of what it looks like.

Well to me that is kind of the problem. I have a D7000, and while I love it, for 3x the price I want more than just more MP.

tino

Banned
So the Pentax mirror less camera is basically a GRX with non-removable K mount module.

Plus, an iPod nano on the top. :D

Futureman

Sensor cost is proportion to sensor area, just like CPU/GPU chips. The cost of the 5D sensor and the 5D2 sensor is pretty much the same to Canon.

yea, but like he said, they may have totally shut down 5D2 sensor line at this point. (don't really know much about sensor production, so this may have been ignorant).

I don't think there'll be much sense in continuing to sell a 4-year old 5D2 when the 5D3 is out. Anyone who wants a 5D2 at that point should be able to find a great deal on a used body.... or Canon would rather them just pony up for the 3 or go with a 7D.

Flo_Evans

You can create a shortcut by mapping it to the Fn key.
Yeah but then you lose quick ISO setting. Even when the function button is mapped to the ND filter, it still pops up the sub menu making you press down then OK to turn it on. It should be a simple toggle.

I wish the rear sub dial thing was configurable too. It doesn't seem to do much. It's actually more like a zoom lever than a dial. About the only time I noticed it was active and doing something usefull is when the AF selector button is held you can change the AF area size.

The auto ISO seems rather aggressive too.

I had it set to minimum 1/60sec and often it would choose a higher ISO and shutter speed than that. =/ Fortunately the noise performance is pretty good, I had no complaints <1600.

It might seem like I am being overly negative, just trying to point out flaws/quirks. The most important thing is the image quality which is excellent.

Need help deciding on a camera. I need a camera for taking pictures of nature, trails, etc.

Not looking for an SLR, or to spend more than $300.

I found this on sale for $229 on Amazon:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/imageBank/n/Nikon-Coolpix-P7000-ang.jpg[IMG]

Anything else in price range worth looking into? Any reasons why I should/shouldn't jump on the Nikon?[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty dang good deal. Current model is $410-ish

[quote="subversus, post: 34708648"]where is the camera then?![/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751784-REG/Fujifilm_16128244_Finepix_X100_12_MP.html"]It's right here.[/URL]

olbareun

So the Pentax mirror less camera is basically a GRX with non-removable K mount module.

Plus, an iPod nano on the top. :D

ricoh is just bizarre.... lol or should I say pentax. looks so messed up with both logos on the camera
and they are taking a page straight out of fuji's book with these "leaked" jigsaw puzzles.
Pentax-K-01-mirrorless-camera-leak.jpg

ignoring the weird looking camera + lame publicity stunts, k-mount should be great combo with this camera since they have some TINY primes.. (flange back distance is pretty long but still)
51BAJ9QSjPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
damn, this looks good.

BUT

after I install any kind of manual lens on 4/3 camera it becomes not a portable camera but a usual bulky DSLR which I can't put in my pocket. So I sort of hesitant of replacing my Nex-5 with something more expensive.

An NEX-5 with anything other than the wide pancake pens will not fit in your pocket either.

captive

i've always wondered about people and the size of their pockets when they say nex or m4/3rds fit in it.

I always take mine and put it on my shoulder, not big deal.

Forsete

i've always wondered about people and the size of their pockets when they say nex or m4/3rds fit in it.

I always take mine and put it on my shoulder, not big deal.

Same.

The only camera that fits in my pocket is the one attached to my phone. :p

Today I got to play with a high speed camera (I think it went up to 2000fps in B/W). Do want! Do not want to pay a quarter of a million SEK!

Do you need an extreme telephoto lens? That matters more than it being a good deal.

Oh yes. Since moving to LA its the one piece of glass Ive wanted. I was looking at zooms, even saw the 70-200mm but the reviews state slow focus and a soft image. Plus that was an f4 L. Although it may be somewhat more versitile for framing than a prime, I imagine I will get a much better image from the 200mm f2.8 L

tino

Banned
According to camelcamelcamel.com, Amazon's 3rd party X100 price dropped from 1350 to as low as 1100 in 4 months.

XP1 should drop for decent amount in the next few months. I was saying 1200 was a fair price for XPro1. But after looking at the sample photos, I think its image quality can justify the APS-class leading body price.

Radec

Quick question on the XPro-1, the 35mm lens is exactly 35mm right ? I mean the lens is not made for a full-frame lens right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom