• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh and I got my hands on a X100 :)

98oCx.jpg

should of dusted it off...

1st impressions: NICE!

I really dig the old school feel. It kind of breaks down on the backside though. The rear controls/buttons feel more like a P&S vs. the sublime top dials and aperture ring.

The biggest negative for me was the AF. It seemed really slow and inaccurate (caveat: I was inside with low light). Manual focusing through the EVF is difficult (I thought there was a way to have it magnify?) might need to experiment more.

The hybrid viewfinder is sweet, I love the overlays and being able to quickly switch to EVF.

Fun fun camera. Need to see if I can play with it more today and examine some RAW files :)

update:

This camera produces so really, really nice files.

The AWB is spot on (I usually have to tweak my nikon RAW files) the IQ is outstanding!

The menus/UI is kinda rough... hopefully fuji updates some things? You can assign various useful things to the Fn button, but it really doesn't let you change it in "real time" it just opens that menu item! It acts more like a menu shortcut than a true function button like you would expect.

Manual focus. For the life of me I can't figure out how they expect you to MF this camera. The ring is tiny, and the its "by wire" meaning you still have to wait for the (super slow) AF motor to catch up to where you set it. There is an option for manual focus confirmation, but for the life of me I don't see it doing anything. This wouldn't be so terrible except the AF is not that impressive either. It seems to rack the focus, then give up and displays "AF!" more often than not in difficult conditions. The speed/accuracy in optimal conditions was perfectly fine, but compared to a nice DSLR (not fair ok whatever) the AF is lacking. It is also somewhat cumbersome to shift the AF point around the screen. You have to hold down a button and move it, the d-pad is mapped to other (silly) options by itself. There is also curiously no dynamic AF point? Unless I missed it completely.

Video. Decent. Did not test this much, looks good but it seems to not be able to lock the iso/shutter speed?

ND filter. cool! but again, buried in menus.

Nice camera. I like it, not sure if I would buy it myself. If you can get around/deal with the menus the IQ is worth it IMHO.

Which these weren't so ridiculously expensive...

I guess I'll just enjoy my future X10 purchase to its fullest.

tino

Banned
Quick question on the XPro-1, the 35mm lens is exactly 35mm right ? I mean the lens is not made for a full-frame lens right?

Since the system has very short flange distance, its impossible to find out. Same goes for NEX lenses.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Quick question on the XPro-1, the 35mm lens is exactly 35mm right ? I mean the lens is not made for a full-frame lens right?

Its a 35mm lens so it'll act as a 50/1.4 lens on the XPro-1. The 35mm equivalent lens (thats on the X100) is going to be released next year.

Pepto

Banned
Its a 35mm lens so it'll act as a 50/1.4 lens on the XPro-1. The 35mm equivalent lens (thats on the X100) is going to be released next year.

If the lens is 35mm then the lens is 35mm. The FOV will be close but the DOF won't be the same as a 50/1.4 on a full frame camera.

BlueTsunami

If the lens is 35mm then the lens is 35mm. The FOV will be close but the DOF won't be the same as a 50/1.4 on a full frame camera.

Oh I know this, I guess I should have been more clear about how it'll act since you'll obviously be shooting at different distances due to the magnification.

In other news, Pentax K-01 picture leaked!

http://photorumors.com/2012/02/01/1...(PhotoRumors.com)&utm_content=FaceBook&ref=nf

4LiUt.jpg

It really is a Ricoh GXR with Pentax branding!

Also, now that's a pancake lens!

Specs

Lens Mount: PENTAX KAF Mount
Focal Length: 40mm (Equivalent to 61mm in 35mm format)
Aperture: F2.8
Minimum Aperture: F22
Lens Construction: 5 elements in 4 groups
Angle of View: 39° (with PENTAX D-SLR camera body)
Minimum Focusing Distance: 0.4m
Maximum Magnification: 0.13x
Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
Filter Diameter: 27mm
Maximum Diameter & Minimum Length: 62.9mm x 9.2mm
Weight: 52g

Edit: Better image of the body!

KbBrz.jpg

And the lens...

xLs4Y.jpg

Wow

It's like a GXR and a Pentax Q had a kid. And somebody's grandpa was a K1000.

Sad to see that the GXR's front dial is not there. And that lens is nice and flat, but I can't see myself using a 60mm equivalent as a normal lens.

Zyzyxxz

Hmm size wise it's not too bad and using the same sensor as the K-5 (i.e. Sony 16 MP) makes it a better choice, for me personally, over the NEX-5N since the selection of Pentax lenses is much better than Sony is and will be for some time.

The pancake is a nice compact option but not sure how livable 60mm equivalent on full frame is considering I felt restricted for close photography with a 50mm on a crop sensor.

olbareun

The body design is... uninspiring, to say the best.

Ricoh pentax probably knew this too.. Hence why they are constantly telling people it was designed by Mark Newson.. So whenever anyone complains, they can just bring up his name and say this was designed by a famous designer and therefore the design is good. This reminds me of that Porsche blackberry.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
In theory I love a lot of these retro cameras, however most manufacturers seem to think the appeal is in how it looks. They are missing the most attractive thing about the Fuji X series, the dials and viewfinder.

The pancake is a nice compact option but not sure how livable 60mm equivalent on full frame is considering I felt restricted for close photography with a 50mm on a crop sensor.

Pentax makes a 21mm f3.2 pancake, for me that would be a better choice to include with the camera.

I don't mind the body design except that silver stuff on top looks terrible- it would look much better in all black.

tino

Banned
I wonder how much thinner than this combo.

6196489115_95ab79130a_z.jpg

I have a sknnier 40mm combo but that is with a rangefinder lens.

Zyzyxxz

Pentax makes a 21mm f3.2 pancake, for me that would be a better choice to include with the camera.

I don't mind the body design except that silver stuff on top looks terrible- it would look much better in all black.

Oh nice, but $560 new? Used $400 is a bit more bearable but with a 3.2 aperature it's a hard buy for me.

Well good to know at least in case I do buy this new Pentax.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The K-01 is barely smaller than an SLR.

It also has no viewfinder at all. Do a the majority of people really NOT use a viewfinder?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
You would think a camera that costs $749 would appeal to people who would be on the upper end and care about that, but I guess not. I am middle aged so I see a ton of people with SLRs just for kid picture taking (which in truth is why I got my XSi). They are always shooting full auto so I guess this makes sense. They just want better quality pictures of their kids, they don't care about the how or why or the process.

Sometimes I think I want one the the Fuji X series cameras because I am swayed solely by the looks but then I realize they have the dials I want and a viewfinder as well. The only other mirrorless camera like this is the NEX-7 (that I know of).

That Pentax camera is so silly. It uses the full K-mount so the flange distance is the same as their DSLRs!

side-by-side.jpg

The tiny pancake lenses are great, but having such a huge flange distance will 1) keep the bodies large and 2) not allow manual focus 3rd party lenses to be mounted.

Also, the thing is ugly as shit.

giga

Canon rumors says most of the tips they've been receiving point to the 5D3/5DX having:

22 mp
61pt AF with DIGIC 4
6.9 FPS
DIGIC 5 (Doesn’t say DIGIC 5+)
Announcement February 28
+ with 3 lens
Available April $2700

1DS is definitely dead if the AF and continuous shooting specs are true.

tino

Banned
There is no way to make this camera look good.

They should have made it look like a mini 645D and call it "107D" as a joke.

Zyzyxxz

That Pentax camera is so silly. It uses the full K-mount so the flange distance is the same as their DSLRs!

side-by-side.jpg

The tiny pancake lenses are great, but having such a huge flange distance will 1) keep the bodies large and 2) not allow manual focus 3rd party lenses to be mounted.

Holy crap what is even the point I was hoping it would be smaller but that is a joke might as well stick to a k5.

BlueTsunami

I think the size of the K5 compared to this new body is really a testament to how small the K5 really is. Still would rather get a Ricoh GXR.

side-by-side.jpg

And I think the K-r is even smaller than the K-5, right? Makes the K-1 seem a bit pointless.

Flo_Evans

All this compactness!

I just made my camera bigger

sLpRp.jpg

Vertical grip yay! I feel more pro already :p

Can't wait to see how long it will last with 2 of the already long lasting batteries inside.

Zyzyxxz

All this compactness!

I just made my camera bigger

sLpRp.jpg

Vertical grip yay! I feel more pro already :p

Can't wait to see how long it will last with 2 of the already long lasting batteries inside.

Never saw the point for optional battery grips. Never had a problem running out of battery and it just makes the camera bulky.

Flo_Evans

I have run the batteries out, sure it was over the weekend of heavy shooting and I forgot to recharge it but stuff happens.

I got it more for the vertical release, my kid is sitting up and crawling around now so I find I am shooting way more portraits :)

I also find the extra bulk makes the camera balance better with heavy lenses.

Don't know if I will leave it permanently attached, it's a tight squeeze now in my bag and it will not work with my follow focus for video. It comes off pretty easy and the way it works leaves one of the batteries still in the camera.

vani77a

Neo Member
i personally think the white K-01 looks good.

K-01_White.jpg

I previously own a Pentac K-m. Using AA batteries on cameras is really convenient.
(And probably one of the reason I might opt for a K-r over the K-5. Been waiting for weeks for stores here to get fresh stocks of K-5)

Flo_Evans

It almost looks like it is supposed to be an underwater camera or something.

Maybe its the weird "snorkel" thing going to the mode dial.

BlueTsunami

Some interview was posted on another board and apparently this Pentax camera is geared towards fashionistas and those wanting to make a statement hahahhahaha

v0yce

Some samples of XPro-1:

http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/fujifilm_xpro1

Pretty great ISO 6400.

Want.

Ugh, now I don't know. I was all set to pick up a X100 as an everyday/compliment to my Canon rig, but the X Pro looks so nice and it seems like the closest thing I'll ever get to a M9.

X100 seems to fit what I originally wanted it for, but I don't know if I'll always wish I would have just gone ahead and picked up the Pro.

Are there any good size comparisons between the two?

Hmmm...

Flo_Evans

Want.

Ugh, now I don't know. I was all set to pick up a X100 as an everyday/compliment to my Canon rig, but the X Pro looks so nice and it seems like the closest thing I'll ever get to a M9.

X100 seems to fit what I originally wanted it for, but I don't know if I'll always wish I would have just gone ahead and picked up the Pro.

Are there any good size comparisons between the two?

Hmmm...

http://camerasize.com/compare/#133,258

this site is awesome!

So I got my EOS550D, or T2i Rebel as you kerazy American's call it, and I can officially say I made the right choice - very pleased with this camera indeed! Great quality, lots of ability and some nice features too.

Recommend this to anyone starting out!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So I got my EOS550D, or T2i Rebel as you kerazy American's call it, and I can officially say I made the right choice - very pleased with this camera indeed! Great quality, lots of ability and some nice features too.

Recommend this to anyone starting out!

Well, I'm with you all the way so far as your choice goes (me too). But, like me, because you made a choice that you're happy with doesn't make it the right choice for everybody (or indeed that you wouldn't have been happy with a different choice). No console warz here (didn't I see you in the Wii U thread?!).

That said, it's a nice bit of kit. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom