• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my 50mm 1.8 out to dinner the other night and decided it's just not versatile enough on my APS-C Sony. But I love the prime quality and the 1.8 speed, so I've purchased the 35mm 1.8!

What would be the best decision? Should she maybe wait for D5100 price drop? Is the D5000 obsolete?

The D5000 isn't obsolete, one can still take great photos with it. The D5100 is newer/more capable. Does she want/need the 55-200mm lens right away? If so, get that one.

IMO if you still consider spending $1000+ on a m43 body you are bigger Olympus fan than a photography fan.

Hmm, OK.

om-dlenses.jpg

This doesn't even include all the Olympus PEN cameras, the legacy 4/3 lenses you can use or the entire set of Panasonic G lenses and cameras.

ISO performance is great on the Sony cams, but there's more to a system than shooting in the dark.

Flo_Evans

Hello, I need Nikon-GAF expertise!

Costco (in Canada) is selling a Nikon D5000 bundled with a camera bag and 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens for 850$. (link)

My gf has decided she wants a Nikon. The D5100 seems to be better in every way, but for the same price, you only get a 18-55mm lens.

What would be the best decision? Should she maybe wait for D5100 price drop? Is the D5000 obsolete?

Thanks.

The 5100 is a WHOLE lot better than the 5000.

D5100 has the awesome sensor from the D7000... 5000 is the old busted sensor from the d90.

You will be using the 18-55 90% of the time with it, unless she wants to take bird or sport pics.

Zyzyxxz

bingo. even at that, you have the option of very fast primes such as the 20mm f/1.7...i took some shots at the atlanta aquarium this weekend, i'll post some up when i get a chance.

I have to say that it depends on what you want it for but honestly I think all I need is clean 1600 ISO and a fast prime to pair with it.

I found on my D90 noise would sometimes get in the way at 1600.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yep! That mixed with the supposed very high resolution sensor, its going to be extremely interesting to see the IQ from the RAW files.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was about to comment on how it must be pretty big but that design plus maintaining its small profile is pretty nice. I think Oly will have a hit on their hands with this. It maintains that retro OM look but it looks professional and functional instead of being preoccupied with style.

whats the main difference between this and something like my G3? That has an EVF, small SLR style body, adjustable rear screen, m4/3 etc.

Am I missing something other than 70's styling?

BlueTsunami

whats the main difference between this and something like my G3? That has an EVF, small SLR style body, adjustable rear screen, m4/3 etc.

Am I missing something other than 70's styling?

From what I've read that's pretty much it. I think the dials may be different too? But other than that it seems to be pulling internals from already released products.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
You can very quickly run into problems without an AA filter if you don't have some advanced software to process the files afterwards. That site really doesn't have great real-world examples...

I'll take an AA filter + sharpening in post over running into moire problems most days of the week.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
You can very quickly run into problems without an AA filter if you don't have some advanced software to process the files afterwards. That site really doesn't have great real-world examples...

I'll take an AA filter + sharpening in post over running into moire problems most days of the week.

True, I was thinking about this as well... so in hindsight, perhaps I hestitated a bit.

Perhaps Fujifilm XPro-1 or Nikon D800E can be my solution..? :)

BlueTsunami

Thing with moire, its supposed to be made a non-issue with higher megapixel sensors that can capture the right level of detail (and beyond). Its probably the reason Nikon is humoring the idea of an AA less body with the D800 and its supposed 36MP sensor.

cbox

Well I finally did it... After falling in love and getting sick of constantly renting the thing - I bit the bullet and grabbed it before it went off sale.

cwoLg.jpg

mclaren777

The long awaited replacement of the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L has finally shown up in pictures.

Specs:
• 82mm filter diameter
• Lighter than version I
• Cost of $1799–$1899

iqMr2TZnR5q68.jpg

Source

tino

Banned
OK so no IS but bigger glass.

Jesus the 24-70 L mark I lens hood is already big enough, this lens hood will be monsterious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thats what my coworker did.
Its what i would do if i shot cannon.

Its what I did when I shot Canon. Gorgeous lens. That as a walkabout, a couple of fast primes and a macro, and a decent telephoto and you're set.

For me that was the 24-105 as walkabout, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, and 100-400 IS (perfect airshow lens)

dmshaposv

The long awaited replacement of the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L has finally shown up in pictures.

Specs:
• 82mm filter diameter
• Lighter than version I
• Cost of $1799–$1899

iqMr2TZnR5q68.jpg

Source

Finally...reason for the 24-70 f/2.8L MKI to go down in price. It will be mine (long distance future, though!)

Does anyone have any experience with light loss with Sony's SLT cameras? I'm not in a position to buy right now, but I still like to know where my gear path may lead from my entry level alpha...I don't really like that sony have appeared to entirely adopted SLT tech, which is cool tech but limits people somewhat if they want to keep their sony lenses but upgrade their body while still using a traditional mirror...

BlueTsunami

Does anyone have any experience with light loss with Sony's SLT cameras? I'm not in a position to buy right now, but I still like to know where my gear path may lead from my entry level alpha...I don't really like that sony have appeared to entirely adopted SLT tech, which is cool tech but limits people somewhat if they want to keep their sony lenses but upgrade their body while still using a traditional mirror...

I believe its a little more than 1/3rd a stop of light

I believe its a little more than 1/3rd a stop of light

I'm more wondering if people have really noticed. Maybe the ISO performance compensates for it? 1/3 of a stop isn't negligible by any means.
I just can't help but love a fast prime (even the cheapest 1.8 primes) which makes me concerned about losing any wiggle room in low light because they wanted the camera to shoot at 10fps (which interests me almost not at all)

BlueTsunami

Sorta tempted to get the D800 since I own two AI lenses already and one Zeiss Contax/Yashica lens that can have its mount switched out. But it only cost me $150 so I'm willing to get another 50mm lens with the native F mount.

tino

Banned
The 36mp sensor is a turn off for me. I am waiting for 22mp 5D3.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji has better high ISO noice and dynamic range at high ISO than D800 at the per pixel level.

The pixel sizes are about the same.

dmshaposv

The 36mp sensor is a turn off for me. I am waiting for 22mp 5D3.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji has better high ISO noice and dynamic range at high ISO than D800 at the per pixel level.

The pixel sizes are about the same.

Id like a brush up on this - why do flagship cams like the D4 and 1DX boast their sensors with lesser mps (16 and 18)?

What is the relationship between mp amd iso?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Id like a brush up on this - why do flagship cams like the D4 and 1DX boast there sensors with lesser mps?
Because most pros know they don't need a lot of megapixels. Its mostly prosumers/enthusiasts/pixel peepers or croppers that feel they need more pixels.

What is the relationship between mp amd iso?
simple answer: more pixels equals smaller pixels, which equals less light hitting each pixel which produces more noise at any ISO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom