• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks, guys. The Canon option sounds okay. Looks like I could buy a used Nikon D5100 for around $660... is buying used a good idea?
No prob. I shoot Nikon nowadays, but with your budget the way it's at, the Canon option is all you got.

I'm pretty sure the Canon Rebels have an AF drive in-camera so you can autofocus using one of the cheaper (but still good) lenses.
Any Canon owners want to confirm this real quick? I'm pretty sure it's still true, but I haven't handled a Rebel in years.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is the kit lens for the T2i bad quality? Is it nicer than the separate lens you showed me for the T3?

All kit lenses are fine to do whatever. In optimal shooting conditions, like a nice bright day outside, it will take pictures just fine.

50mm lens: http://www.flickr.com/groups/50mmlens/

The advantage of the 50mm f1.8 prime lens that I linked is that it can do a couple things that the kit lens cannot do. It has a maximum aperture of 1.8 which means that it can let a lot more light in and allow you take better pictures in darker places.

It also has the ability to have a shallow depth of field when you shoot at f1.8 so that you get a more blurry background. This is one of the qualities of photographs that people think of when they think a picture "looks professional".

Examples of a blurry background with 50mm lenses here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/50mmlens/discuss/72157625612207918/

tokkun

No love for Sony? :(

A lot of people overlook Sony because they are worried about being able to buy a $2000 pro lens down the line. You can get a used a33 and a Sony 35mm f/1.8 on a $600 budget. Or with a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for $500. Can you get that level of value from Canon or Nikon?

All kit lenses are fine to do whatever. In optimal shooting conditions, like a nice bright day outside, it will take pictures just fine.

50mm lens: http://www.flickr.com/groups/50mmlens/

The advantage of the 50mm f1.8 prime lens that I linked is that it can do a couple things that the kit lens cannot do. It has a maximum aperture of 1.8 which means that it can let a lot more light in and allow you take better pictures in darker places.

It also has the ability to have a shallow depth of field when you shoot at f1.8 so that you get a more blurry background. This is one of the qualities of photographs that people think of when they think a picture "looks professional".

Examples of a blurry background with 50mm lenses here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/50mmlens/discuss/72157625612207918/

Hm... Would the 1.8 lens have better quality in optimal conditions than the stock lens on the T2i?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hm... Would the 1.8 lens have better quality in optimal conditions than the stock lens on the T2i?

Yes xInfinity

IQ may level off at smaller equal apertures but generally primes will be made to correct various optical defects in ways a kit lens won't. Plus you'll get much better Depth of Field control which is one of the main appeals of shooting with a DSLR or larger sensor camera in general.

tokkun

You should keep in mind that a 50mm lens can be a bit on the long side for use as the everyday lens on an APS-C sensor, so I don't really view it as a kit replacement. 35mm is much better for that task.

Yes xInfinity

IQ may level off at smaller equal apertures but generally primes will be made to correct various optical defects in ways a kit lens won't. Plus you'll get much better Depth of Field control which is one of the main appeals of shooting with a DSLR or larger sensor camera in general.

You should keep in mind that a 50mm lens can be a bit on the long side for use as the everyday lens on an APS-C sensor, so I don't really view it as a kit replacement. 35mm is much better for that task.

the nifty fifty is a pretty awesome lense, specially for the price

Thanks a lot, guys. I guess I'll go with the T3/50mm lens then!

I feel it would be better to have a single zoom lens over a 35 or 50mm. Having the ability to compose a shot is very nice if you are a beginner. However, don't put off getting your 35/50mm lens, because they are quite, quite fun.

I currently use a Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 most of the time, but them I slap on a 50mm f/1.8 Nikon when I want something light weight or really narrow depth of field.

I used to have a 85mm F/1.8 which was very awesome, but with the crop factor I found my self hardly using it, and sold it for what I paid.

Radec

intro-001.jpg

Apart from the blazingly fast AF, in-body IS, weather sealing (and for some, the retro-look), $999(body) for this is abit high IMO.

Sensor is the same as Panny's G3 from last year.

And what's with the bundled day-light lenses :lol

Zyzyxxz

Apart from the blazingly fast AF, in-body IS, weather sealing (and for some, the retro-look), $999(body) for this is abit high IMO.

Sensor is the same as Panny's G3 from last year.

And what's with the bundled day-light lenses :lol

I agree but its stupid that Olympus doesn't produce a 35 and 50mm equivalent fast prime. Also the Panasonic X fast zooms have yet to be released but they wouldn't package a Pany lens with their camera so I suppose those are the only options.

In terms of primes They have the 17mm 2.8 but kinda slow in comparison to the Pany 20mm 1.7

Still I'm somewhat interested in the body but price is a bit high.

I agree but its stupid that Olympus doesn't produce a 35 and 50mm equivalent fast prime. Also the Panasonic X fast zooms have yet to be released but they wouldn't package a Pany lens with their camera so I suppose those are the only options.

In terms of primes They have the 17mm 2.8 but kinda slow in comparison to the Pany 20mm 1.7

Still I'm somewhat interested in the body but price is a bit high.
If you look at the Panny GX1 combined with its EVF module the Oly is about $50 more...but the Oly packs a lot more features with that price difference (IS, OLED tilt screen, weather sealing, etc...). You'd lose the Panny touch-screen controls if you go with the Oly though.

(And yeah, there's the Panny G3 and GH2 and they're tons cheaper =P)

My concern with the Oly is that I'd want to pair it up with the Panny/Leica 25mm f1.4, in which Oly E-P3 users have been reporting an annoying clicking noise when pairing them together...I'm hoping there's no big issues using it with the E-M5...

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I find myself liking the new OM-D as well but I don't like the idea of moving form APS-C to m4/3. I can't help but thank the OMD coupled with the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25 mm f/1.4 would be anise combo though.

Log4Girlz

Hey CameraGAF.

I'm in need a great beginning DSLR camera. I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, but looking at the samples on flickr, the pictures are disappointing.

I want picture quality over everything. I want them to look as "professional" as possible. My budget is $600.

A professional can take killer, professional quality pictures with a 5 mp point and shoot. I'm not exaggerating. Like a painter, its the vision that matters most, not the tools. And even then a D3100 is one hell of a tool.

nitewulf

ok, first of all, you guys suggest that a beginner start with a prime lens, instead of a zoom...which would be OK if he took a photography course, but now he will just hate photography.

and secondly, there is way too much emphasis on the sensor size, the m4/3 sensor size isnt THAT small, there is minimal noise, i assure you. buy a sub $100 p and s, and compare that to some m4/3 shots, you will see. the quality difference is significant.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
ok, first of all, you guys suggest that a beginner start with a prime lens, instead of a zoom...which would be OK if he took a photography course, but now he will just hate photography.

I borrowed a 50mm lens when starting out and hated using it. I love using zooms.

For new people trying to decide I'd recommend just going to a camera shop and try out both, if possible.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I borrowed a 50mm lens when starting out and hated using it. I love using zooms.

For new people trying to decide I'd recommend just going to a camera shop and try out both, if possible.

I was the opposite. I immediately started with a prime and never looked back. The one solitary reason I want a zoom of any kind is for pictures of my children dancing or playing soccer or whatever. Because of that I may just get an X10 for that purpose.

Why would a prime lens make you hate photography?

Crappy kit zooms would make me hate photography.

Are you serious? Most people, no matter how noob, expect some kind of zoom in photography. P&S and entry-level DSLR manufacturers understand that point perfectly and try to cater to that market's expectations. That's why it's better to ease them into photography with a zoom lens.

The need for a prime can come later, when some noobs (but clearly not all) grow tired of some of the limitations of kit zooms and would want more.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Then don't.

Sony or Samsung might do a similar-specced camera in the future. Have fun waiting.

I'm not trying to be one of those "Company X did not announce precisely what I wanted" people. This camera is very intriguing to me because of the weather sealing, size, and design so just adding my 2¢.

tino

Banned
Most consumer camera from 20 year or older were fixed focal length only (28mm or 35mm), why would a fixed lens discourage beginners. i do recommenad a wider lens though. I started out with an all manual DLR and a 50/1.7. This focal length never did anything for me.

Then don't.

Sony or Samsung might do a similar-specced camera in the future. Have fun waiting.

Sony has alreay released the NEX-7.

Borman

I picked up an Olympus PEN E-PL1, and Im actually pretty impressed, quite sharp at times. I bought it to have something smaller than my 5d2, so it'll fit it quite well. Bought a few adapters too, and put on my cheap Minolta 50mm MD lens, still works great.

P2070045.jpg

(Not the best picture, but yeah heh)

Flo_Evans

coworker just sent me this. lolz

car_problems.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5883315/why-camera-nerds-can-be-the-worst-nerds

going from aspc to 4/3rds is hardly a big jump, its like 1 stop in ISO efficiency. as a system m4/3rds really kicks the nex's ass.

LOL

Reminds me of the old nikon ad that had a the famous loch ness monster pic and said "Some people see a monster. We see improper metering, poor lens selection, and a total lack of composition."

D800 "terminator" view:

Nikon_D800_Mg_body.jpg

looks cool!

edit:

some supposed high iso samples! https://rs148l35.rapidshare.com/#!d...117288|R~913F9DA375B21E2FE63D270060912BD5|0|0 downloading now...

tokkun

A professional can take killer, professional quality pictures with a 5 mp point and shoot. I'm not exaggerating. Like a painter, its the vision that matters most, not the tools. And even then a D3100 is one hell of a tool.

Well, that is sort of true. However there are certain types of photography that really require the right equipment. You're going to have a hard time doing sports photography without a fast telephoto lens, regardless of how great your technique is. Nor are you going to want to do wedding photography without a flash unit. You're also going to have a hard time producing a tight depth-of-field without a fast prime (or software for post-processing).

Are you serious? Most people, no matter how noob, expect some kind of zoom in photography. P&S and entry-level DSLR manufacturers understand that point perfectly and try to cater to that market's expectations. That's why it's better to ease them into photography with a zoom lens.

The need for a prime can come later, when some noobs (but clearly not all) grow tired of some of the limitations of kit zooms and would want more.

Well, my personal experience has been that the big thing that most "noobs" are expecting from the transition to a DSLR is the ability to take portraits with narrow DOF and good bokeh. That's what the fast prime is for.

I agree that a 50mm prime will probably frustrate new users because it is just a little too long for general-purpose use on an APS-C. That's why I'm advocating a 35mm prime instead. If they are want zoom, they can still get it via manual cropping or digital zoom on the body. If we're comparing to a kit zoom with a maximum focal length of 50-55mm, that's not so much cropping on today's huge MP sensors.

Most consumer camera from 20 year or older were fixed focal length only (28mm or 35mm), why would a fixed lens discourage beginners. i do recommenad a wider lens though. I started out with an all manual DLR and a 50/1.7. This focal length never did anything for me.

Because this is not 1983. Expectations have changed. Most people's early experience in photography started with P&S digicams and many come to upgrade to DSLR/mirrorless afterwards.

One could still argue that the next generation is being introduced to photography through cell phones which usually have a fixed focal lenght (with or without digital zoom).

Sony has alreay released the NEX-7.

If the OM-5 was just like the NEX7, no one would give a damn about this me-too product from Olympus.

tino

Banned
Because this is not 1983. Expectations have changed. Most people's early experience in photography started with P&S digicams and many come to upgrade to DSLR/mirrorless afterwards.

One could still argue that the next generation is being introduced to photography through cell phones which usually have a fixed focal lenght (with or without digital zoom).

I still think starting with a fixed lens will learn faster. But that guy who asked this question didn't sound like he was prepared to learn so I am not going to spend time argue this minor point.

If the OM-5 was just like the NEX7, no one would give a damn about this me-too product from Olympus.

OM-D is basically a waterproof NEX7 with smaller sensor. you have a hard on for it? good for you.

Forsete

Dust when changing lenses is a bigger hazard than water, for me. :) I have been out in the rain and snow with my non-sealed camera, no problem. *knocks on mahogany desk*

But with that Pentax (forgot the model name) and OM-D you could probably take a tsunami to the chest and the camera would survive.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Thankfully cooler heads in this forum prevailed, it pisses the crap out of me seeing a wave of Canon users bitching and moaning about Nikon's D800 and using hyperbolic statements like "Canon is dead" or "I will sell all my gear and jump ship."

Gee, you think they would wait for Canon to announce the 5D mark III and other bodies first before overreacting. The scary part is that the average age for people in those photo forums are probably whatever NeoGAF's average age is +20 years.

The Nikon D800 is a good camera, no doubt about that. Let's see how competition with that camera will push Canon to respond.

Zyzyxxz

Professional and true enthusiasts aren't spending their time discussing photogear on a forum they are too busy shooting.

Just another one of those release seasons when everyone is uppity about what to buy next.

nitewulf

Thankfully cooler heads in this forum prevailed, it pisses the crap out of me seeing a wave of Canon users bitching and moaning about Nikon's D800 and using hyperbolic statements like "Canon is dead" or "I will sell all my gear and jump ship."

Gee, you think they would wait for Canon to announce the 5D mark III and other bodies first before overreacting. The scary part is that the average age for people in those photo forums are probably whatever NeoGAF's average age is +20 years.

The Nikon D800 is a good camera, no doubt about that. Let's see how competition with that camera will push Canon to respond.

heh, are you kidding? i hate the Megapixel wars...i bet you, not many users in this thread will print out poster sized photographs. yet for some reason, 36MP is absolutely necessary!

next point, nikon always releases tech that's between canon models, so they have never really been directly comparable.

thirdly, its always the lenses that are important. if you keep switching systems because of bodies....you arent wealthy, you are more of an idiot, as far as i am concerned.

though i admit, when the D300 came out, i was jealous of the 51 point AF system. but canon since then have caught up. Fast AF and good high ISO performance is what I usually look for, and most of the modern bodies are pretty capable in those regards. only time i had to shoot at 3200 or something is at concerts, and even thats getting rare because they rarely allow dslrs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
heh, are you kidding? i hate the Megapixel wars...i bet you, not many users in this thread will print out poster sized photographs. yet for some reason, 36MP is absolutely necessary!

That's why the D800 is classified as a pro model, not a consumer model.

Flo_Evans

D800 at ISO6400

Interesting. For giggles I did a quick D7000 ISO 6400 comparison.

note: I had in camera noise reduction off and RAW importer de-noise set to zero. Looks like some noise reduction (possibly in camera high ISO noise reduction) was done to the D800 images?

pxkhx.jpg

pgaVR.jpg

alMyQ.jpg

I wanna say the D800 wins, but it seems veeeeerrryy close?

Wish I had a fancy chandelier and ceiling to shoot. :p

and secondly, there is way too much emphasis on the sensor size, the m4/3 sensor size isnt THAT small, there is minimal noise, i assure you. buy a sub $100 p and s, and compare that to some m4/3 shots, you will see. the quality difference is significant.

I used my 50 prime before I even realised the potential of my kit zoom as a decent landscape lens. And I loved it. It was fast, and the bokeh was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom