• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Id like a brush up on this - why do flagship cams like the D4 and 1DX boast their sensors with lesser mps (16 and 18)?

What is the relationship between mp amd iso?

In regards to the lesser resolution, I believe this to be due to framerate limitations with very high resolutions. A D4 wouldn't be able to shoot 10fps with 36mp files. The split seems to be Landscape/Studio shooters vs. Sports/Wildlife photographers and their different needs.

Id like a brush up on this - why do flagship cams like the D4 and 1DX boast their sensors with lesser mps (16 and 18)?

Beyond the larger pixels = more light thing, in general, the cameras hit different markets. For example with Nikon's cameras, the D3/D4 are targeted at photojournalists who don't need huge MP photos/want better ISO performance/faster FPS, and the D3x is aimed at studio/art photographers.

tino

Banned
I only have one comment. What's with the slant shoulders? It's like a slightly melt D700.

At least the price is OK. Now let's see your answer Canon.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
3000$? hahahaha, I'll stick with my Canon EOS 44v. I thought D800 was supposed to be the first full sensor camera in 1000-1500$ range as someone guessed in this thread. I'm out of touch with DLSR market right now so I turned out to be VERY wrong, lol

Radec

3000$? hahahaha, I'll stick with my Canon EOS 44v. I thought D800 was supposed to be the first full sensor camera in 1000-1500$ range as someone guessed in this thread. I'm out of touch with DLSR market right now so I turned out to be VERY wrong, lol

:LOL

BlueTsunami

Now to see some samples!

The only body that got close was the Sony A850 at around $2000 but that's been discontinued.

cbox

Now to see some samples!

The only body that got close was the Sony A850 at around $2000 but that's been discontinued.

My cousin shoots with that, he loves it. I honestly find most Sony DSLR's to be very grainy even at low ISO, and somewhat of a vaseline effect all over the image.

BlueTsunami

My cousin shoots with that, he loves it. I honestly find most Sony DSLR's to be very grainy even at low ISO, and somewhat of a vaseline effect all over the image.

Its supposed to have one of the best color response of any of the FF DSLRs but definitely not the best in regards to higher ISO. Its base ISO quality is really, really good but becomes very noisy at and past ISO800.

Also full res D800 samples...

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/sample02.htm

And hands on...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-d800-d800e-digital-slr-hands-on-review-18420

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

3000 is the same as the d700 when it came out. Whoever told you it was going to be 1500 was lying or high

nitewulf

i'll be interested to see 5D3 as well, I just hope it's faster than 5D2. I have a canon lens system, so I won't switch, but I dont have any particular bias towards FF. The EF-S 17-55 2.8 is a hell of a lens, and not sure if I wanna give that up so quick. On the other hand the 35mm f/1.4 L will sway me to the FF body I know it.

captive

little disappointed in the quality of the D800e samples. IMO landscape photographers are going to lust after that camera, so the sample shots should show what it can do. Instead the shots go in focus and out of focus quickly, even at f8. What was in focus looked pretty damn good though. Particularly referencing the tree with the moss next to the stone walk way, that would be a perfect shot to shoot at f22 to show what the sensor sans AA filter can do.

cbox

i'll be interested to see 5D3 as well, I just hope it's faster than 5D2. I have a canon lens system, so I won't switch, but I dont have any particular bias towards FF. The EF-S 17-55 2.8 is a hell of a lens, and not sure if I wanna give that up so quick. On the other hand the 35mm f/1.4 L will sway me to the FF body I know it.

I love my 17-55 - it was a choice between that and the 24-70 back when I got my 7d. Glad I got the 17, though it would be nice if the body was the same as the L, sure cost the same!

Flo_Evans

little disappointed in the quality of the D800e samples. IMO landscape photographers are going to lust after that camera, so the sample shots should show what it can do. Instead the shots go in focus and out of focus quickly, even at f8. What was in focus looked pretty damn good though. Particularly referencing the tree with the moss next to the stone walk way, that would be a perfect shot to shoot at f22 to show what the sensor sans AA filter can do.

Well besides higher ISO noise that is another gotcha of high density sensors.

At small apertures diffraction becomes a problem. F8 is probably the sweet spot for a 36mp sensor. Anything above that will introduce diffraction softness.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I really hope the Canon 5D3 isn't more than 24MP.

Really? I like more Megapixels.

Personally, I am more irritated at the 24-70L II and the fact that it doesn't have the awesome reverse zoom design and it costs an arm and a leg. Oh

Hopefully the D800 forces Canon to step up their game and not hold back with the 5D Mark III and the 3Dx

BlueTsunami

At the pixel level the 36MP D800 will probably seem more noisy but I think once its resized to the, lets say the 5DMKIIs resolution, it'll probably be much cleaner. I'm personally more interested in how the Dynamic Range is since most modern FF cameras are already great up to ISO3200. The D7000's sensor lays down some hurt in regards to DR and in contrast to other sensors.

joshschw

D800 samples look unsurprisingly, to anyone who knows how sensors work, poor. Obviously factoring in how high end it is supposed to be...

First time seeing 1dX samples! Are those new? Totally different type of photos and they're all high iso - lowest being the one portrait at 400, but they look superb compared to D800. Not forgetting it costs twice as much either though.

Nikon made a smart business move with the whole 36mp thing. It got loads of people clamoring for one, and got them tons of buzz. But realistically it's not going to do a very good job for a $3000 camera, it's simply not possible with current technology.

tino

Banned
At the pixel level the 36MP D800 will probably seem more noisy but I think once its resized to the, lets say the 5DMKIIs resolution, it'll probably be much cleaner. I'm personally more interested in how the Dynamic Range is since most modern FF cameras are already great up to ISO3200. The D7000's sensor lays down some hurt in regards to DR and in contrast to other sensors.

Dynamic range is probably similar to the D7000/Nex5n since the per pixel size is about the same.

This screencap just shows how misleading the earlier product shots in isolation can look. The OM-D is still tiny compared to any DSLR with a mirror.

Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-hands-on6.jpg

BlueTsunami

If the D800 is too much camera then the D700 should be considered. Sucks that Nikon didn't put basic video recording on it though. But its very much a no frills solid body.

captive

sure if you shoot beaches on sunny days , 200 ISO is fine but otherwise...

clearly the d800 is not for people that need to shoot in the dark....

I shoot at ISO 50 with my velvia, been doing just fine with that. High ISO is not the be all and end all of photography. Hell even back in the day when wedding shooters had to shoot film, they had these things called lights and flashes.

joshschw

clearly the d800 is not for people that need to shoot in the dark....

I shoot at ISO 50 with my velvia, been doing just fine with that. High ISO is not the be all and end all of photography. Hell even back in the day when wedding shooters had to shoot film, they had these things called lights and flashes.

I know I just sort of trashed the D800, but this is so true. People talk ISO 12800 like they use it all the time. 99% of the average persons photo is probably going to be ISO1600 tops...

Hey CameraGAF.

I'm in need a great beginning DSLR camera. I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, but looking at the samples on flickr, the pictures are disappointing.

I want picture quality over everything. I want them to look as "professional" as possible. My budget is $600.

tino

Banned
Hey CameraGAF.

I'm in need a great beginning DSLR camera. I've been looking at the Nikon D3100, but looking at the samples on flickr, the pictures are disappointing.

I want picture quality over everything. I want them to look as "professional" as possible. My budget is $600.

You need skill to make professional looking photography. I can't think off a more "professional camera sensor" you can buy with $600.

You can buy a D2x, but its DxO score is lower than 3100.

And most of the "professional feels" you get from small sized photos on flickr are due to post processing.

Zyzyxxz

Hey CameraGAF.

I see. D3100 it is!

For that price you aren't moving up very far. You can try to find a used D5100 at that price but the quality is pictures isn't bad I'd say maybe you are looking at some bad samples because with the right glass even a D40 (10 years old) can taken amazing pictures, I know because I had one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey CameraGAF.

Any of the entry level SLRs from Canon or Nikon + their respective 50mm or 35mm f1.8 prime lenses should be a good start. You'll have a good quality sensor + a lens that is capable of very high image quality.

All you need to fill in is the composure, lighting, exposure, and post-processing technique.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If that $600 price range can't be boosted at all, then I think the Canon option would fall in that price range.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J3Y9U6/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $460 on Amazon

50mm 1.8 lens http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $120 on Amazon

With Nikon, you'd have to spend more money for an AF-S prime lens since the entry level models for the Nikon SLRs don't have a camera-driven autofocus mode. I'm pretty sure the Canon Rebels have an AF drive in-camera so you can autofocus using one of the cheaper (but still good) lenses.

Flo_Evans

The biggest hindrece to the D3100 is the ho hum kit lens.

55mm f5.6 on the long end is just not good enough to get shallow depth of field (which I find is what most people mean by "pro looking"). It also gives you the double whammy of making you raise the ISO for a decent shutter speed.

I would say skip the kit lens and get the 35mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.8 but I don't think they sell the d3100 body alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom