• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a new roadmap for E-mount lenses from Sony for 2012-2013; it's super disappointing. 3rd parties really need to step up the game because Sony can't flood the market with mediocre zooms fast enough apparently.

cbox

I officially love B&H - took 3 days to get here from NY to Toronto.

Can't wait to get out and shoot!

hUTlUl.jpg

OM-D is basically a waterproof NEX7 with smaller sensor. you have a hard on for it? good for you.

Or the NEX7 is just a G3 with the same pixel density? you're sure you want to play that silly game?

In any case, I'm not buying either, but you made it clear you think one camera is a waste of money based on some arbitrary sensor size treshhold.

Dust when changing lenses is a bigger hazard than water, for me. :) I have been out in the rain and snow with my non-sealed camera, no problem. *knocks on mahogany desk*

But with that Pentax (forgot the model name) and OM-D you could probably take a tsunami to the chest and the camera would survive.

Dust is only a manufacturer-specific problem. I for one have never had to clean a sensor. Ever.

As for weather-sealing, the actual effectiveness of it does also depend on manufacturers. Olympus does have a good track record with their high-end DSLR's, but I think the jury is still out with the OM-D. I have yet to hold one myself, but it looks so small, light... and more fragile in pictures.

There's a new roadmap for E-mount lenses from Sony for 2012-2013; it's super disappointing. 3rd parties really need to step up the game because Sony can't flood the market with mediocre zooms fast enough apparently.

I'd guess it's either a production issue (technically difficult to produce good NEX optics) or there isn't much of a market for lenses on the NEX (most satisfied with kit lenses/large number of legacy lens users)

verbum

I pre-ordered the OM-D E-M5. I have a PL2 and the ergonomics are very nice. I've been looking at the previews of the OM at various places and IMO I feel it will be comfortable to hold and use.
I mainly use a camera on hiking trips and visits to various national parks. I had a DSLR on a trip to Zion Canyon, Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon last fall. It got heavy walking down the length of Zion and a trip down into Grand Canyon.
When I got back I got the PL2 and have enjoyed using it in the Smokies and the foothills around the Chattooga River.
Still learning the quirks of the camera and lenses. I mainly use primes and have the Panasonic 14 and 20 plus the Olympus 45. I thought I would use a telephoto more in the woods but really enjoy the primes with the shorter days and lower amounts of sunlight this winter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The D800 sounds like the type of camera you would want to shoot at base ISO on a tripod or in a studio with strobes to maximize the IQ you'll be getting from the huge resolution (and in the case of the D800E, the lack of AA filter). The fact that it's performing just as well as the D700 in regards to high ISO while being able to pick up a large amount of sheer detail is the cherry on top.

With that said I'd be cool to see a stripped down version of the D800 at a lower resolution for $2000.

giga

Kind of interesting how Canon and Nikon switched places in their offerings. The D800 is probably taking the place of what the 1DS used to be--a high end studio camera. Is there even a need for a D4X?

Canon isn't even offering a high megapixel (by today's standards) body anymore. High iso performance and and fast continuous shooting seems to be their staple now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Kind of interesting how Canon and Nikon switched places in their offerings. The D800 is probably taking the place of what the 1DS used to be--a high end studio camera. Is there even a need for a D4X?

Canon isn't even offering a high megapixel (by today's standards) body anymore. High iso performance and and fast continuous shooting seems to be their staple now.

i said it the other day, the D800 replaces the D700 and D3x. The D4 replaces the D3 and D3s.

that wedding photographer has the right idea, the D4 for extreme lowlight and D800 for the sheer detail it captures.

Interesting to hear his thoughts considering he used medium format previously.

tino

Banned

It's true that D800 is a spiritual successor of 5D2. But I stand by my prediction that Canon will make a 22mp 5D3 and a 40+mp 3D-X.

Yay! Just pulled the trigger on a Tokina 11-16 for my d200. Very excited. First time I've been able to buy glass in a long while. There's a link on fatwallet to pick it up for 649, plus the current 40 dollar rebate, bringing it to 609.

BlueTsunami

I posted this on another board but here's some crops from the D800E TIFF...

93JxN.jpg

Fabric

c47Cp.jpg

100 Crop - Original resolution

HtGq3.jpg

100% Crop - Downsampled to 21MP (5DMKII resolution) and sharpened

mJpfj.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Niiiice @ those D800 shots. Noise performance on par with the D700 is just fine with me. D700 noise was awesome.

I need to buy bigger memory cards...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Niiiice @ those D800 shots. Noise performance on par with the D700 is just fine with me. D700 noise was awesome.
they do look quite nice considering...

I need to buy bigger memory cards...

thats one thing that boggles my mind, is the whining about it not being 9 or 10fps. Holy crap, if you're shooting fully uncompressed raw files thats ~100mb per, so at 10fps you just shot a gig worth of data in one second. Not to mention you would need one of the fastest cards on the market to even take advantage of that.

BlueTsunami

Just realized I converted those images and crops with the Nikon colorspace? That's why the ones in my post look desaturated. Forgot to convert to sRGB.

Those extra pixels sure are something...

They do bring out the pores in her face a lot, though...

Post is gonna need a lot more work, especially at 100%.

http://i.imgur.com/Gm5cO.jpg

The key to photoshopping skin is to make it look like photoshop was never used at all. Way too saturated, orange toned instead of flesh toned, and lost a lot of natural detail on the skin. Not all flaws need to be removed to make it beautiful.

MRORANGE

can a nikon user make sure I got this right?

for AF-D lenses the aperture control is done through the lens and not the body?
same for AIS lenses which would not have any exposure balance indicators for digital cameras?

Flo_Evans

can a nikon user make sure I got this right?

for AF-D lenses the aperture control is done through the lens and not the body?
same for AIS lenses which would not have any exposure balance indicators for digital cameras?
Not exactly.

AF-D lenses do have aperture rings, but you can set the aperture with the camera dials/auto exporsure. They use a mechanical lever inside the camera body/mount to stop down. The CPU contacts tell the camera body the maximum aperture and focal length so it can figure out what f-stop it is setting the lens to.

With AI-S lenses there is no CPU contacts on the lens, so unless your camera has the appropriate mechanical feelers it doesn't know what lens is mounted on it. Some of the Nikon bodies like the D7000 allow you to manually enter lens info with AI-S lenses, so it can meter and stop them down for you.

MRORANGE

Not exactly.

AF-D lenses do have aperture rings, but you can set the aperture with the camera dials/auto exporsure. They use a mechanical lever inside the camera body/mount to stop down. The CPU contacts tell the camera body the maximum aperture and focal length so it can figure out what f-stop it is setting the lens to.

With AI-S lenses there is no CPU contacts on the lens, so unless your camera has the appropriate mechanical feelers it doesn't know what lens is mounted on it. Some of the Nikon bodies like the D7000 allow you to manually enter lens info with AI-S lenses, so it can meter and stop them down for you.

ok that's cleared things up, thanks!

stldave2

I have a preorder in for both a D800 & a D800E. I keep flip-flopping which one I will end up keeping.

The more I read and the more I see keeps making the decision harder and harder!

stldave2

I would go for the E for maximum sharpness.

Do you live on St. Louis by chance stldave? Can I touch it when you get it :p

Yes yes I know, maximum sharpness. Ugh, RIGHT THIS SECOND I am thinking 800E... but in like 3 hours I'll be back to just the 800. Also have to spring for the the MB-D12, greatttttt.

Yes I'm in STL. I'll think about letting you touch it (that's what she said)=P

Hey guys, figured I'd just ask this here. For my birthday I got $300 in Amazon gift cards and I am looking to buy a DSLR (total budget being about $600). I have been looking at the Canon T2i and the T3.

Primarily I would use it for still shots and such, I'm not really into doing video.

Any advice you guys can offer me would be great.

Hey guys, figured I'd just ask this here. For my birthday I got $300 in Amazon gift cards and I am looking to buy a DSLR (total budget being about $600). I have been looking at the Canon T2i and the T3.

Primarily I would use it for still shots and such, I'm not really into doing video.

Nikon D3100 can be had for $600 with a single lens (18-55mm)

Or a Nikon D3000 can be had for a little less than that with a 18-55mm lens and a bunch of stuff that may or may not be junk. But you lose 4 million pixels and all video recording options.

My next choice would be an older Olympus E-450 because they are very small and fun to use. But it is old by today's standards.

I've been a die hard Nikon fan since I got my D50 in 2005

MultiCore

There will be that one time you wish you had video. The T2i and T3i are great.

That articulating screen on the T3i in particular is neat. If you're not going to do video, get the T2i. It still does video though, so it's a great pick.

Look for refurbished units, as I personally have had great luck with refurbed canon's.

Also, get the 50mm f/1.8 to go with your kit 18-55. If you want, you can spring for the 55-250 later, and have all the zoom coverage you'd need.

(Note, if you plan to ever move to full frame, the only lens you could keep is the 50mm.)

Also: Get this:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Awesome custom firmware additions that are completely harmless, and completely removed just by popping the battery out. With the T2i, you can even shoot HDR video with this stuff, something no commercial camera on the market can do.

If the prices are similar get the T2i over the T3. The T2i is a higher-end model than the bare-bones T3, just a bit older.

I wouldn't buy another lens along with the camera. Start with the kit lens first and get a feel for what focal lengths you use the most, and what limitations you run in to when shooting with the kit lens (if any). Then you'll be better equipped to make decisions on what lenses you should buy.

FStop7

Banned
Thankfully cooler heads in this forum prevailed, it pisses the crap out of me seeing a wave of Canon users bitching and moaning about Nikon's D800 and using hyperbolic statements like "Canon is dead" or "I will sell all my gear and jump ship."

Gee, you think they would wait for Canon to announce the 5D mark III and other bodies first before overreacting. The scary part is that the average age for people in those photo forums are probably whatever NeoGAF's average age is +20 years.

The Nikon D800 is a good camera, no doubt about that. Let's see how competition with that camera will push Canon to respond.

I'm guessing you're talking about DPReview. That is the GameFAQs of photography forums.

Try photography-on-the.net and fredmiranda.com. Their forums contain a lot less stupid.

I officially love B&H - took 3 days to get here from NY to Toronto.

Can't wait to get out and shoot!

http://i.imgur.com/hUTlUl.jpg[/QUOTE]

Congrats, I love mine. I would sell pretty much everything else I own photography related or otherwise before that lens.

Zyzyxxz

I'm guessing you're talking about DPReview. That is the GameFAQs of photography forums.

Try photography-on-the.net and fredmiranda.com. Their forums contain a lot less stupid.

If the way their idiotic comment system works is a sign of things, I would assume that all the users on it jumped onto it at the beginning of the digital age and thought vBulletin message boards were too advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom