• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

I need this expanded AF setting in my life.

caption_015.jpg

nitewulf

Well I got an email from Adorama and the 5D3 preorder pricre is 3499.95. Fuck that shit!

I guess my future FF choice has come back to D700 only. How about somebody just make a FF body with a single AF point?

why not the 5Dmk2 though, honestly? its not like this body is obsolete, it is still a tremendous camera.

not sure why/how most of you guys are expecting a cheap FF camera...how does it profit the manufacturers at all...it will cannibalize their body sales.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Is the price tempering everyone's excitement for this? Seeing the specs I expected everyone to be going crazy for it, but $3500 is a lot higher than the already high expected price.

Canon just came off a pretty bad year financially (like all Japanese electronics companies), so I guess they're just doing what they feel is in their best interest.

Yeah there's no way I'm upgrading from my 5DMkII at that price. I would much rather get glass anyway.

tino

Banned
why not the 5Dmk2 though, honestly? its not like this body is obsolete, it is still a tremendous camera.

not sure why/how most of you guys are expecting a cheap FF camera...how does it profit the manufacturers at all...it will cannibalize their body sales.

There is a huge market for a cheap FF body that has almost no AF function and zero video feature. But either Nikon and Canon want to build and sell it for under 2000, becasue they know people who buy them won't buy many new AF lens.

giga

Original 5D selling for ~$900 on ebay now. Should fall further once the III is on the street. Not sure if I want to go from 60D to ancient 5D--but the high iso performance and FF bokeh is tempting me.

nitewulf

There is a huge market for a cheap FF body that has almost no AF function and zero video feature. But either Nikon and Canon want to build and sell it for under 2000, becasue they know people who buy them won't buy many new AF lens.

right, but you've explained why they won't do it, they wont make money on the body, or lenses. and it might be cost prohibitive to design a FF body just for this market and sell it. it's not just the making cost. the production overhead: changing their plant assembly lines, R&D...these things add a lot of overhead. i'm not even sure they have the capability to sell this magic FF camera under 2 grand.

Flo_Evans

From what I've seen (sample images) from the Lytro, I don't understand the hype. A lot of the examples showcase photos that are clearly missfocused and the Lytro allows you to bring the focus back. Not really good examples showcasing bad technique (if you need a whole system devoted to refocusing your photos). You literally have the wonderful choice of focusing on your human subject or focusing on a brick wall.

The interesting aspects of the system will be coming later (like having having absolutely everything in focus). But the system is odd in that it uses Lytro proprietary software to connect to Lytro servers so it can make these changes to the photos. Also the images are very low resolution (1080x1,080). The camera just seems half baked and I don't know why people are so excited about the camera in its current form.

Pretty much. It's a very interesting photographer toy, but not very useful.

tino

Banned
right, but you've explained why they won't do it, they wont make money on the body, or lenses. and it might be cost prohibitive to design a FF body just for this market and sell it. it's not just the making cost. the production overhead: changing their plant assembly lines, R&D...these things add a lot of overhead. i'm not even sure they have the capability to sell this magic FF camera under 2 grand.
Heh? Just take out the AF in 5D3 and stuff in the one in 600D. What R&D? Thats nonsense. Why wouldn't they be able to sell the body under 2K if Canon is already selling the 5D2 under 2K?

Anyway they don't want to do it somebody else that have access to fabbing capacity will do it eventually. Look at the XP1, and the Nokia 808.

Flo_Evans

What's the problem?

The vertical sub dial for one. On a nikon I can use my middle finger and change stuff, the canon dial forces you to move your finger off the shutter. Then there are all the small buttons next to it, which have dual uses seemingly not related to each other at all!

The rear jog wheel is too low, and the little joystick nub is a pain to use.

IDK it's just a weird scheme to me. I am sure if I shoot it more I would get used to it/adapt but every time I pick up the 7D I just go uggg why??!?!

giga

The vertical sub dial for one. On a nikon I can use my middle finger and change stuff, the canon dial forces you to move your finger off the shutter. Then there are all the small buttons next to it, which have dual uses seemingly not related to each other at all!

The rear jog wheel is too low, and the little joystick nub is a pain to use.

IDK it's just a weird scheme to me. I am sure if I shoot it more I would get used to it/adapt but every time I pick up the 7D I just go uggg why??!?!
The dial next to the shutter release I can understand, but the rear wheel and joystick are my favorite parts of the eos line! Speaking madness to me. So quick to switch my af points or review photos with them.

Having the four buttons next to the top LCD allows one handed operation! I tried Nikon and I couldn't take all the deep menus that required scrolling down. Preferences I guess.

They combined the joystick and rear wheel actually in the 60D and it's my biggest peeve about it. Switching AF points on the 30/40/50D series used to be so quick with that joystick. Now I have to fumble my thumb down to the wheel. It's kind of why I'm wanting to switch to either the 5D or 7D.

nitewulf

Heh? Just take out the AF in 5D3 and stuff in the one in 600D. What R&D? Thats nonsense. Why wouldn't they be able to sell the body under 2K if Canon is already selling the 5D2 under 2K?

you really think that's all it entails, just slap an existing AF system to a FF sensor (how much is the new FF sensor cost anyway, or are you suggesting using the original 5D sensor?), this is embedded software engineering, they will have to rewrite algorithms and recalibrate the system. its not just gluing pieces of semiconductor together, i dont think so, as an engineer.

mclaren777

The 5D3 features that I'm most excited about...

Customizable AF points
Silent shutter mode
DIGIC 5+ processor
Min/Max ISO settings
Minimum shutter speed
Comparison mode
Dual card slots
Tracking presets

NsvCx.png

mclaren777

Not bad for being untouched JPG files.

Source

ibuPkoavLcq4n7.JPEG

iLRWSaPef0Vun.JPEG

iALhdwjLCGzQ8.JPEG

iOGEHbKwItDwL.JPEG

In conclusion I have to say that Canon have addressed every issue that we had with the 5D Mark II and built a stunningly good camera. The more you handle it, the more you realise that there has been a lot of input from professional photographers into this camera, and if you are a photojournalist or anyone that shoots in that style, this is the perfect camera for you. Obviously it isn’t a speed demon like the 1DX and you have to watch the buffer when shooting dual cards with high ISO in high speed drive mode, but that is to be expected. The camera produces staggeringly good files at all ISO speeds, it focuses quickly and accurately, it is built like a small tank and is as quiet as a church mouse with a Leica if you want it to be. What else do you need from a camera?

Source

Futureman

5DII is said to be getting a price cut AND it's already sub-$2K.

Yea... don't get people bitching about wanting a cheap FF. It's here now. The 5DII is a monster, just because there's a shiny new version out doesn't change that.

edit: WAIT, it's not sub $2k now, but I'm assuming it will be with the cut.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
5DII is said to be getting a price cut AND it's already sub-$2K.

Yea... don't get people bitching about wanting a cheap FF. It's here now. The 5DII is a monster, just because there's a shiny new version out doesn't change that.

edit: WAIT, it's not sub $2k now, but I'm assuming it will be with the cut.

It was at $1999 during December, I think it'll be cut to this pricepoint. I agree that one can't expect a cheap modern FF camera. Only Sony attempted this with the A850 but it seems to be the industries intention to keep modern FF cameras at $2.5K plus no matter what. I also agree that the 5MKII is still more than capable.

Futureman

As for the 5DIII...

don't see a big reason to upgrade. I guess I eventually will though. I've gone from 5D > 5DII. I mainly use my camera for video now though and besides the fixed moire issue and better ISO performance... eh.

I remember when the 1D-MarkIV came out though people were freaking because it could basically see in the dark while not being too noisy. I assume the 5DIII at least matches this or better?

I wouldn't mind shooting in 720p sometimes... but you can only do 60p? Is there a good reason that 720p doesn't support different frame rates? I guess at least it would be nice for slo-mo shots.

hyp

so close to pulling the trigger on the mark III. always wanted the m2 but wanted to wait for the 3. dat price though :( and with the price of the m2 dropping I have no idea what to do.

BlueTsunami

so close to pulling the trigger on the mark III. always wanted the m2 but wanted to wait for the 3. dat price though :( and with the price of the m2 dropping I have no idea what to do.

In regards to getting the best for the least amount of money (for a Full Frame body) I think the 5DMKII dropping below $2K would be a huge bang for the buck. As great as the 5DMKIII looks to be its got the bleeding edge premium going for it.

hyp

In regards to getting the best for the least amount of money (for a Full Frame body) I think the 5DMKII dropping below $2K would be a huge bang for the buck. As great as the 5DMKIII looks to be its got the bleeding edge premium going for it.

yea it's starting to sound like a great deal. any idea what it's going to drop to? saw the website above with the $1899 price tag but that site looks shady.

BlueTsunami

yea it's starting to sound like a great deal. any idea what it's going to drop to? saw the website above with the $1899 price tag but that site looks shady.

Not sure when its happening, there's rumblings of a $300 price drop but its not confirmed (I don't think). If anything I think it'll happen before the 5DMKIII ships which should be in April.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My Mother in Law is looking at DSLRs and wants a Nikon since she has a bunch of Nikon compatible lenses from her old 35 mm. My last two DSLRs are canon so I really know nothing about the Nikon lineup and where things fit in.

The camera store told her she needed at least the D90 to have full AF control over her older lenses. That one seems to be aging a bit at 4+ years old though.

To help me put this in a more familiar light so that I can help her, what are the Nikon range general equivs of between the t2i/t3i and the 60D?

Thanks!

Zyzyxxz

My Mother in Law is looking at DSLRs and wants a Nikon since she has a bunch of Nikon compatible lenses from her old 35 mm. My last two DSLRs are canon so I really know nothing about the Nikon lineup and where things fit in.

The camera store told her she needed at least the D90 to have full AF control over her older lenses. That one seems to be aging a bit at 4+ years old though.

To help me put this in a more familiar light so that I can help her, what are the Nikon range general equivs of between the t2i/t3i and the 60D?

Thanks!

Unfortunately if you want a Nikon that will autofocus with what I assume are AF-D lenses then it is either go for a D90 or a D7000, other options being a D300 for crop sensor as well.

The D90 is a great camera though even if it is old you should be able to find a used one for a good price. Otherwise I'd recommend the D7000. That what sucks about entry level Nikons you are forced to use AF-S and G type lenses if you want autofocus.

nitewulf

anyone have the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens? is this a good portrait lens? i have decided to upgrade to the 7D, and i'd like to have this in my arsenal, as a 135 equivalent.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately if you want a Nikon that will autofocus with what I assume are AF-D lenses then it is either go for a D90 or a D7000, other options being a D300 for crop sensor as well.

The D90 is a great camera though even if it is old you should be able to find a used one for a good price. Otherwise I'd recommend the D7000. That what sucks about entry level Nikons you are forced to use AF-S and G type lenses if you want autofocus.

I got to look at her lenses after I posted one was an AF Nikkor which is not supported at all on the D90 and the other was a mediocre sigma 85-300mm 1:4-5.6

I am going to recommend to her not to worry about matching a DSLR to them. Then she can set a price range and just try out both Canons and Nikons in the range and see which she likes more. Thanks for your help!

Zeth

Hoping to get a(nother) 5DII this year after the price drop. Got one when they first released but had to sell it because I was in a financial jam (and I make $0 from taking pictures).

tomjr

anyone have the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens? is this a good portrait lens? i have decided to upgrade to the 7D, and i'd like to have this in my arsenal, as a 135 equivalent.

I think it's a great lens. Construction and USM is what I thought the 35 f2 (before update) and 50 f1.4 should have been. Image quality good and sharp, but I've read feedback that often mention some purple fringing as a weakness.

I don't use it much, but I don't want to sell it either.

_MG_8603.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

I don't have it, but have heard very good things. Will probably pick it up when I can get enough money.

I guess this is a good opportunity to get a 5DII if they do drop, but the 7D is still the king of video, i'd like a full frame stills camera. Oh life.

Ember128

I have a 7D, if you're thinking about a 7D go for the 5DMKIII. It's exactly what I need it for, like a Full Frame 7D with better noise Performance. I gotta wait though.

Probably my favorite lens after my 24-70mm. Fantastic image quality, super fast AF and really cheap. The build quality is also quite nice considering the price. Overall a way better deal than the 50mm1.4 (slower AF, lower image quality imo, build quality not as good, still a great lens though)
And yes, 85mm is better for portraits (less distortion)

A sample, taken at f2.8, 1/160, iso1600 (5D classic):
ThePainsOfBeingPureAtHeart_Botanique_17012012_BartVanderSanden10.jpg

i moved to tokyo this week and somehow in transition managed to lose my camera bag with NEX-3, A55, lenses etc. this is kind of a tragedy, but i talked myself into replacing both with a NEX-7 today, so i'll come out on top in the end!

er, from a non-financial perspective. though if the bag turns up i guess i'll just sell everything.

Blackhead

Redarse
Full Resolution Nokia 808 PureView Camera Samples
The Handheld Blog said:
I must stress that these photos have been taken with a prototype device, which is around two months away from a final firmware. Since a lot of the magic happens in the software, the picture quality will only go up from here. Also, most of these shots were taken while I was walking around, with barely even a second spent on composing the shot.

If I had decided to mess around with the settings a little, and may be wiped a little grease off the lens (I have a suspicion there was some!) I'm sure the picture quality would have been even better.

What do you think?
The Handheld Blog said:
cxg8P.jpg

You would be surprised to see that it is a crop from the following shot, where you'll be hard pressed to even find this gentleman.

Nokia 808 Photo Samples In The PureView Mode: Reinventing Zoom
The Handheld Blog said:
Yesterday I brought you some full resolution pictures from the Nokia 808′s 41 Megapixel camera, and those represented something of an extreme case. When Nokia made the 808, they didn't intend on people taking 38 MP photos. In fact the default automatic mode shoots at 5 Megapixels (3072 x 1728) and the image weighs in at about 1 MB, a stark contract from the full resolution (7728 x 4354) photo that can go upto 16 MB or more.

The benefit of shooting in this mode is the oversampling that helps reduce noise and increase color accuracy and sharpness. A 5MP photo from the 41 MP sensor means that each pixel in the 5MP image is the result of the aggregation of about 8 pixels. The result is similar to what you experience when you resize a large photo into a tiny one and it suddenly becomes nice and crisp...

[more pics]

i do, and it is! though it does mean i can't quite get by with my various film compacts, unfortunately. i found that NEX 30mm macro pretty indispensible for taking pictures of gadgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom