• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I've been looking to buy a DSLR camera around the summer time and not quite sure which one to choose. Not really using it for photography or anything like that, but moreso for family occassions, events etc.

From the research I've done, I see that most of the recommendations have been Canon T2i and that it's the perfect entry level DSLR camera. In general what are the differences between DSLR cameras? For example the Canon T2i and the Canon 60D, are there huge gaps in picture quality between these two? I know stuff like shutter speed are better, but just not sure what would be ideal.

Any help would be great.
I'd go with the T2i (or T3i) if you're just going to be using it for family shots and stuff like that. The advantages in stepping up to the 60D probably won't be as useful for you and the money you save is better spent elsewhere on lenses, etc. Biggest differences would be the build quality and amount of manual controls available to you. There won't be a huge difference in picture quality between the two at all.

A good idea would be to go to Best Buy or somewhere and try them out in person and see how they feel to you.

tarby

Neo Member
Does anyone know much about the weather sealing on Canon bodies? Or is there a good site where I can compare them? I'm planning to go to Antarctica next year and so am very interested in getting a body that won't fail in cold, wet conditions. Pretty sure my current 60D won't cut it but unsure about the 7D or 5D. All I can find online are anecdotes which are nice but… I'd prefer facts!

Thanks for any help you can give.

I've been looking to buy a DSLR camera around the summer time and not quite sure which one to choose. Not really using it for photography or anything like that, but moreso for family occassions, events etc.
I've got to say it's been a long time since I've lusted after any DSLR. I wouldn't recommend buying any DSLR right now, it's a dying format. If my current camera didn't meet my needs, I'd get a high-end P&S/bridge camera (what number is the Canon G-series on?) and just bide my time until the 3rd gen ILC's mature a little more and get at least an APS-C sized sensor.

Remember, when you buy a DLSR or an ILC, you're buying in to a system. Unless there's a compelling reason, it doesn't make sense to get stuck in a dead end system.

choodi

Banned
Ok so I need some advice.

I am planning on buying a new camera body soon as I am still using my old Canon 350D.

I am tossing up between a Canon 60D and the 7D.

Is the 7D worth the extra expense for an amateur?

I also need some advice on where to buy it.

In Australia, I can get an imported 60D for AU$856 (US$920) delivered, or a 7D for AU$1257 (US$1352).

On the other hand, I am travelling to the US in June and thought that it might be a better idea to wait until I get there to buy it. Ill be spending most of my time in NYC and was wondering what sort of deals I might be able to get while I am there?

Should I just bite at the prices I can get in Australia, or is it worth waiting until I get to the US?

tino

Banned
Does anyone know much about the weather sealing on Canon bodies? Or is there a good site where I can compare them? I'm planning to go to Antarctica next year and so am very interested in getting a body that won't fail in cold, wet conditions. Pretty sure my current 60D won't cut it but unsure about the 7D or 5D. All I can find online are anecdotes which are nice but… I'd prefer facts!

Thanks for any help you can give.

7D has better weather seal than the 5D. They don't have "rating" like the Pentax bodies do. 1D > 7D >5D

You can always get a older 1D model or a backup body.

tarby

Neo Member
7D has better weather seal than the 5D. They don't have "rating" like the Pentax bodies do. 1D > 7D >5D

You can always get a older 1D model or a backup body.

That explains why so many pages mentioned 5D's failing. Maybe I can rent a 1D and buy a 7D for the trip… Thanks!

Radec

Not unless you plan to do a lot of travelling and shooting in difficult weather conditions.

I'd wait. Prices should lower further by then.

It's not just weather sealing or other sensor advantages, but better camera grip and handling.

Same thing for the Nikon D7000 and D300s. Even if the D7000 is a better camera, I'd still pick the D300s for it's glorious body and handling.

Sooner or later he will feel limited and will feel the itch to upgrade.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I am planning on buying a new camera body soon as I am still using my old Canon 350D.

Depends on what you shoot. If you need to shoot fast moving subjects it might be worthwhile. Personally I didn't find it worth the extra $500+ so I went with the 60D. I rarely shoot without strobes, so the extra features of the 7D were useless.

Variable

Depends on what you shoot. If you need to shoot fast moving subjects it might be worthwhile. Personally I didn't find it worth the extra $500+ so I went with the 60D. I rarely shoot without strobes, so the extra features of the 7D were useless.

60D may be more useful if you want to shoot video due to the tilt screen.

How can anyone give you advice without your use case? What can you not do that you hope the 7D will allow you to do? How much do you have invested in the EOS ecosystem?

thirty

Banned
that nokia is no joke. a sensor larger than the panasonic LX-5, the fuji X10, canon G12, etc. read the pdf, there's some amazing tech in this camera ...phone.
http://europe.nokia.com/PRODUCT_MET...00-series/808/Nokia808PureView_Whitepaper.pdf

i-74JQJ4K.jpg

tino

Banned
We all know its no joke (tt's basically a beef up GRDIII). But Symbian is a joke. You still need to carry a 2nd smartphone.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
So im thinking of buying a Canon f/1.8 50mm lens for about $129. I've heard a lot of good things about 50m lenses and how versatile they are. Very popular lenses, anyone have this lens?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
So im thinking of buying a Canon f/1.8 50mm lens for about $129. I've heard a lot of good things about 50m lenses and how versatile they are. Very popular lenses, anyone have this lens?

I have the 50mm F.1.4. The build quality in my estimation is worth the extra money. I absolutely adore the lens, although remember on an APS-C body it may be tight for some of your shooting.

The 1.8 is supposed to be one of the absolute best bang for your buck lenses there is, but keep in mind the build quality is not great (plastic lens mount, etc.).

mclaren777

Does anybody use custom firmware on their DSLR?

I'm thinking about loading Magic Lantern on my T2i but I'm having a hard time finding good documentation for what it includes.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
panaleica 25mm f1.4 for u4/3 just arrived. mmmtasty

I have the 50mm F.1.4. The build quality in my estimation is worth the extra money. I absolutely adore the lens, although remember on an APS-C body it may be tight for some of your shooting.

The 1.8 is supposed to be one of the absolute best bang for your buck lenses there is, but keep in mind the build quality is not great (plastic lens mount, etc.).

The 1.4 is looking nice, but Im Im gonna be switching to Nikon by September so I dont wanna splurge too much and not be able to use it in the future. hopefully the 1.8 is adequate enough lol

So I've decided to get a bundle of lens tubes for some close up macro photography. I only have about £50 to spend, so can anyone suggest so decent but cheap models I could buy?

panaleica 25mm f1.4 for u4/3 just arrived. mmmtasty
Nice! I have it pre-ordered at the Panasonic store and waiting for their next batch to come in...I can wait for it since it's gonna be used on an Oly OM-D/E-M5 that I also pre-ordered on Amazon and that ain't coming out until sometime in April anyways.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nice! I have it pre-ordered at the Panasonic store and waiting for their next batch to come in...I can wait for it since it's gonna be used on an Oly OM-D/E-M5 that I also pre-ordered on Amazon and that ain't coming out until sometime in April anyways.

cool. The OMD might be my next u4/3rds purchase.

choodi

Banned
How can anyone give you advice without your use case? What can you not do that you hope the 7D will allow you to do? How much do you have invested in the EOS ecosystem?

I have enough invested to stick with it for at least enough years to warrant the purchase and to stick with the ecosystem in the medium term.

Most of my current usage is travel photography. Usually in cities and rarely in harsh conditions.

However, I have my first child on the way in September and will obviously be doing a lot of shooting at home over the next few years.

No pro work, no studio shooting, mainly natural light/outdoors, some sports, mainly shooting people.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So I've decided to get a bundle of lens tubes for some close up macro photography. I only have about £50 to spend, so can anyone suggest so decent but cheap models I could buy?

I use the Kenko tubes myself, but they're a bit pricy for you at about £150. But this set by Polaroid looks like it will do the trick at about £60.

Go much cheaper than that and you're waving goodbye to AF (though in practice you'll be manually focussing in macro anyway) and more importantly, to aperture control.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
same, OM-D + Panaleica 25mm 1.4! Sweet jeebus but that combo will cost $1600 pretax :(

adorama and bh have the 25mm 1.4 for 539 right now. Order online, no tax.
Wait 6 months to a year and the price of the omd will drop, it buy it used from some fickle prosumer that always have to have the latest and greatest.

same, OM-D + Panaleica 25mm 1.4! Sweet jeebus but that combo will cost $1600 pretax :(
What's helping me get this setup:
- $250 in Amazon gift cards to use for pre-ordering the OM-D/E-M5 body (yay credit card points =)
- Panny/Leica 25mm f/1.4 $450 via Panasonic EPP (I have to pay sales tax though =P)
- Sold lens that I really wasn't using on my Nikon D7000 (Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8D)

If the 25mm doesn't come in time before I get the E-M5 I'm planning to get one of those used Panny 14mm 2.5 pancake lens that's usually on sale at eBay for about $190 until then (which was going to be my next lens anyways).

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The Panasonic Leica 25mm and OMD combo is very enticing to me as well, but I don't really want to buy into a new system.

What about the clicking when using Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies?

Zyzyxxz

adorama and bh have the 25mm 1.4 for 539 right now. Order online, no tax.
Wait 6 months to a year and the price of the omd will drop, it buy it used from some fickle prosumer that always have to have the latest and greatest.

yeah no way I'm buying it new and I still want to see what the GH3 will bring.

SleazyC

Anyone have any recommendations for a camera backpack?

I currently have a Kata backpack that can house my DSLR and about two lenses but its getting a bit packed. I'd like something that has room to grow (currently have 3 lenses 55-200, 18-108, 50) and has a compartment for a laptop but can also double as a normal backpack when I am not lugging around my camera equipment.

I have enough invested to stick with it for at least enough years to warrant the purchase and to stick with the ecosystem in the medium term.

Most of my current usage is travel photography. Usually in cities and rarely in harsh conditions.

However, I have my first child on the way in September and will obviously be doing a lot of shooting at home over the next few years.

No pro work, no studio shooting, mainly natural light/outdoors, some sports, mainly shooting people.
Based on that and DPReview'scomparison about 2/3s down this page, I'd say the choice comes down to build quality (7D) vs. cost and articulated screen (60D.) With the kid on the way, I'd go for the screen - it'll help on the odd angles you'll probably want to shoot from.

choodi

Banned
I'd say the choice comes down to build quality (7D) vs. cost and articulated screen (60D.) With the kid on the way, I'd go for the screen - it'll help on the odd angles you'll probably want to shoot from.

Hadn't considered that, thanks!

I know my 350D is probably good for at least a few more years, but I do get a serious case of screen envy whenever someone has a newer DSLR.

350D screen is tiny!

canon-eos-350d-back.jpg

Canon-60D-Back-2.jpg

Will go with the 60D, now I just need to consider where to buy from...

Trying to decide which lens to buy next. I use my 7D mainly for video. I do some weddings and other events.
  • Right now I have a 1.8 50mm (basically worthless for video)
  • My main lens is a Tamron 2.8 17-50mm with VC.
So that Tamron is great for video, except its reach isn't enough. Which lens do you suggest? It will need to have image stabilization and I really don't want to spend more than, say, $700.

darkwing

Trying to decide which lens to buy next. I use my 7D mainly for video. I do some weddings and other events.
  • Right now I have a 1.8 50mm (basically worthless for video)
  • My main lens is a Tamron 2.8 17-50mm with VC.
So that Tamron is great for video, except its reach isn't enough. Which lens do you suggest? It will need to have image stabilization and I really don't want to spend more than, say, $700.

how about a Canon 15-85mm IS? it is a nice lens, but it does not have a constant aperture though

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-15-85mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom