• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ill Saint

I'm pretty new to this, and I've never even used a lens that gets closer than the 50mm the Tamron does. Is there a significant difference between 50mm and 85mm?

EDIT: Reading about it, that lens sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip.

It is a very nice lens. Very close to L lens image quality. Build is solid, IS is great, smooth focus and zoom. It's a great video lens that covers a nice range, particularly if you're going hand-held or with a smaller shoulder mount thanks to IS. It's a staple part of my rig.

Personally I wasn't that impressed with the 17-40 L, but it might have been an off copy. Give them both a try.

I'm pretty new to this, and I've never even used a lens that gets closer than the 50mm the Tamron does. Is there a significant difference between 50mm and 85mm?

EDIT: Reading about it, that lens sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip.

I use it on my 7D for more than a year now, it was the kit. It's pretty awesome and can go heavy macro at 85

tino

Banned
So Nikon has decided to continue sell the D700 for 2200 new (for how long I don't know). I think this is a contingency plan against the 5D3. I predict the 5D3 will be cheaper than the D800.

mclaren777

CanonRumors has a full spec list up for the 5d Mark III...

Nothing too mind blowing, but the SD/CF slots are nice, multiple exposures will be fun to play with, and HDR AEB in camera is handy.

DIGIC 5+ is fantastic and I love the idea of dual card slots.

This is now my dream camera!

Fireye

Looks like a 5d mk2.5

But then the mk2 was pretty good. Lets see how it fairs to the D800/e.

While there isn't always a direct correlation between S/N ratio/ISO sensitivity and megapixel size, the 5dIII's 22mp versus the d800's 36mp should give it an advantage in sensitivity. I can't wait to see how highISO works on the 5dIII in field conditions.

giga

CanonRumors has a full spec list up for the 5d Mark III, along with press photos:
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/5d-mark-iii-full-spec-list/
http://imgur.com/a/tO76A

Nothing too mind blowing, but the SD/CF slots are nice, multiple exposures will be fun to play with, and HDR AEB in camera is handy.
61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)

That's pretty crazy. The 7D only has 19 crosstype points. Wait a second, that's the same AF module in the 1DX. Too good to be true, so I'm calling bull.

Flo_Evans

VNZ

I didn't really expect to be blown away by a bullet-point feature list for the Mark III, but what it comes down to for a worthy upgrade (for me) is this:

- Sensor readout technology for movies. A nice downsampling from all the pixels on the sensor would be killer. Also, faster readout, meaning less jelly effect.
- Dynamic range and low iso capabilities.

So basically, I hope that Canon has been very busy in the sensor tech department. They've been lagging behind a bit, and now with the 1DX and 5D Mark III they'll hopefully give Sony/Nikon sensors a match.

dmshaposv

It would be cool if the 5DIII could do 1080 @ 60p.

It's 2012, by now we should have 60p recording @ 1080 res in all video-focused DSLRs.

A question about merchandise returns: I sent a Gitzo ballhead back to B&H for a refund today (defect/quality issue) via UPS, and I forgot to include the quick release plate that was still on my camera. Do you think that will be a problem?

Ill Saint

I expect the 5D Mk III do to amazing things in low light situations. And 61 point AF. Yikes. This will be a very high performance camera.

alphaNoid

Banned
Toy day!

I just ordered a Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 monopod and a LCDVF for my 7D. I'm starting to get into video more now and I'm moving from my Canon Vixia HF10 camcorder to my DSLR and needed the foundation to better shots/focus.

I'm still stuck on what I'm going to do for audio. The 7D has a hardlocked AGC (auto gain control) in the firmware and there is no way to get rid of it. The 5DMII has Magic Lantern but not the 7D :( AGC blows ass and fucks with on camera sound so my 2 options are...

1. Buy a hacked cable online, use an MP3 player to tunnel high pitch audio on one channel to confused and disable AGC or
2. Double system sound, externally recorded via a Zoom H1 or H4N or something then sync in post. This is the better quality option sure, just not sure the best device to get.

I want something I can mount on camera like a Rode mic, but the Rode -> 7D causes AGC, and doing Rode -> H4N -> 7D would be expensive. I was looking at just getting a Zoom H1 but I want to mount something to my hotshoe and I think a stereo XY H1 isn't what I want. A shotgun style mic is more what I'm looking for.

Any ideas from videographers on GAF?

giga

Damn. This AF system is going to steal some 1DX sales. Maybe that 3k+ price is justified now.

628918.jpg

Maybe it's just familiarity, but I do not get Canon's dial/button layout. I can't for the life of me figure out how you are supposed to use it efficiently.
What's the problem?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Canon finally breaking down feature walls. But, in all honesty, I'd take a super stripped down 5D with a great metering system instead of a catch all FF monster. This thing is a nonstarter for me at $3500. That'd eat into clearing new 5DII sales that are still out there though.

Radec

Damn. This AF system is going to steal some 1DX sales. Maybe that 3k+ price is justified now.

[/IMG]http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/18/628918.jpg[/IMG]

What's the problem?

What? 102,400 ISO(Hi) ?

That's a huge leap from the MkII

giga

What? 102,400 ISO(Hi) ?

That's a huge leap from the MkII
Yeah, but 102,400 isn't the standard iso range, just its extended one. Extended or boosted ISOs generally don't look good. That said, having a native range up to 25,600 is still impressive.

mclaren777

I want something I can mount on camera like a Rode mic, but the Rode -> 7D causes AGC, and doing Rode -> H4N -> 7D would be expensive. I was looking at just getting a Zoom H1 but I want to mount something to my hotshoe and I think a stereo XY H1 isn't what I want. A shotgun style mic is more what I'm looking for.

I prefer Tascam products over Zoom products.

Impressions please!!! And take some pics!!!

Video Review

BlueTsunami

From what I've seen (sample images) from the Lytro, I don't understand the hype. A lot of the examples showcase photos that are clearly missfocused and the Lytro allows you to bring the focus back. Not really good examples showcasing bad technique (if you need a whole system devoted to refocusing your photos). You literally have the wonderful choice of focusing on your human subject or focusing on a brick wall.

The interesting aspects of the system will be coming later (like having having absolutely everything in focus). But the system is odd in that it uses Lytro proprietary software to connect to Lytro servers so it can make these changes to the photos. Also the images are very low resolution (1080x1,080). The camera just seems half baked and I don't know why people are so excited about the camera in its current form.

mclaren777

The "silent mode" is fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XgAgGoPZo8

Edit: this sounds pretty cool, too...

"In-camera RAW converter Conversion settings that can be adjusted prior to conversion include software exposure compensation, white balance, Picture Style, colour space, Auto Lighting Optimizer, High ISO NR, Peripheral Illumination Correction, Chromatic Aberration Correction and the output dimensions and quality of the converted JPEG."

Xcellere

Any 5DII owners besides me not interested in the Mark III? The feature list doesn't exactly make me want to run and sell the Mark II for the latest and greatest.

BlueTsunami

Any 5DII owners besides me not interested in the Mark III? The feature list doesn't exactly make me want to run and sell the Mark II for the latest and greatest.

It looks to be a great upgrade for sports shooters who really needed the modern AF and increased FPS but for studio and landscape shooters, its a bit puzzling. This thing seems like a mini 1DX. Honestly I had seen 5D shooters as portraiture and landscape photographers, not sports shooters. Also the D800 at $3000 seems a straight up better value if you don't need a high framerate bursts.

Xcellere

It looks to be a great upgrade for sports shooters who really needed the modern AF and increased FPS but for studio and landscape shooters, its a bit puzzling. This thing seems like a mini 1DX. Honestly I had seen 5D shooters as portraiture and landscape photographers, not sports shooters. Also the D800 at $3000 seems a straight up better value if you don't need a high framerate bursts.

It is puzzling for the non-sports shooters, I really expected more from the Mark III given how big a jump the Mark II was. I'm mostly into landscapes/portraits, so I'm pretty underwhelmed by this compared to the D800.

BlueTsunami

I wonder if used prices for D700/5Dmk2 will start dropping nicely in the next few months.

The 5DMK2 used prices seem to be sinking quick. The D700 is oddly staying strong last time I checked but I think once the D800 finally ships it'll sit at the 5DMKII prices. You can get a used Excellent condition 5DMKII for $1900 easily and even less with some looking around. Another crazy deal is EX condition original 5D's breaking the $1000 barrier. They were at $1400 a couple of months ago.

alphaNoid

Banned
I prefer Tascam products over Zoom products.

You are the 2nd person on 2 forums to tell me that today so I have reason to go look at them now. Are there any specific models you recommend? And beyond that, additional mics to use with them?

7D owner here, and the things about the 5DMIII that got me pointing north are the 61 AF points and the high ISO capabilities. The 7D already has 19 AF which is fuck awesome, but only useful (IMO) in AI SERVO for high speed sports shots. But I never shoot above 1600 ISO as a rule to avoid noise. I have gone above, but its rare. Its more a problem with APS-C sensors struggling due to size. The 5DMIII handing crazy high ISO is like a dream to me.

If I were a 5DMII owner, I probably wouldn't upgrade unless I was already looking at a 7D on the side for AF and was looking into high speed shooting. Or, if I had tons more disposable income.

I'll probably keep my 7D for the next 5+ years to be honest. Modern cameras do so much that I don't see the need to personally upgrade unless its your job.

MultiCore

I love my 5D2, but as someone who runs magic lantern for video, I'm also interested in the 5D3. Not sure if I'm interested in the cost differential for what it would run me after I sell my 5D2 body though.

Have no interest in switching to Nikon. Don't want to reset my lens collection.

mclaren777

You are the 2nd person on 2 forums to tell me that today so I have reason to go look at them now. Are there any specific models you recommend? And beyond that, additional mics to use with them?

I have a DR-07 MKII that I use to record a podcast (both handheld/interview style "on location" and connected to a Behringer mixer at home). It's rugged, reliable, and it records lossless 24-bit/96kHz audio with ease. It also has great battery life and a really slick interface.

Apart from my Intel 2600K and HP Touchpad, it might be the best thing I purchased in 2011.

Gonna buy one next year if true: "At moderate-to-high ISO sensitivities, the 5D Mark III has about a two-stop advantage over the 5D Mark II. As an example, an ISO 3200 picture shot with the new model has roughly the dynamic range, noise and other characteristics of an ISO 800 picture shot with its predecessor." – Source

"Canon showed a pair of identical photos, one from the Mark II at 6,400 ISO and one from the Mark III at 25,600 ISO, and noise levels were nearly identical." – Source

JPG • 1/80 • f/7.1 • 3200 – All Samples

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

I'm interested, but not going to jump until my Mark II is making me a lot more money. It's still a hell of a camera. The Mark III pretty much solves any issue I had with the II, though. I really can't think of any significant things Canon left out; it's almost perfect.

tino

Banned
Well I got an email from Adorama and the 5D3 preorder pricre is 3499.95. Fuck that shit!

I guess my future FF choice has come back to D700 only. How about somebody just make a FF body with a single AF point?

Radec

Well I got an email from Adorama and the 5D3 preorder pricre is 3499.95. Fuck that shit!

I guess my future FF choice has come back to D700 only. How about somebody just make a FF body with a single AF point?

Well that is the announced retail price so..

Still higher than the MkII though($2,799 VS $3499)

Hammer24

Banned

Im using this Rode on my 7D, and am very happy with it. It probably depends on your planned use, I´m mostly doing nature shots, so the combo from the mics high-pass filter with the 7D AGC gives me good results.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
planet5d said:
DPP Digital Photo Professional

– new version of the software comes with the camera – includes HDR and multiple exposure processing.

This new feature called Digital Lens Optimizer – unique to this sofware (Adobe doesn’t have it, nor does Apple or DXo)
– we have a database for 29 compatible lenses initially, including:
Spherical aberration
Astigmatism
Sagittal Halo
Curvature of field
Chromatic aberration (both kinds)
diffraction
Effects of a low pass filter on a CMOS sensor

And this will be available for all EOS RAW files for cameras released since 2006!
Hmm, interesting. Will have to give this a try.

(think the HDR and mult. exposure is for 5D3 and 1DX)

ana

I decided my next camera and ordered used Nikon D300..
everything new is still out of stock..
I'll change it next year when and if D400 is readily available..

...and hopefully nikon quits moping around and finally releases upgrade to the 80-400 or what ever it ends up being called..

giga

CPN page: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do

The Verge is saying the 5D2 will stay on sale and get another price cut next week. $1500 Canon!

Most pro 5D shooters I know are landscape (for full frame) and wedding/event photographers. The latter will absolutely enjoy better AF, lower noise, wider dynamic range, larger burst, and so on. Landscape guys probably won't care for AF and burst, but the others I think are still very important.

Studio guys I have no clue. I would think they would be on medium format if their shots are going to be on billboards or magazines.

Honestly, I think they hit the right features for their target base. The problem, as can be seen on POTN, is the price. This should have been $3k.

Is the price tempering everyone's excitement for this? Seeing the specs I expected everyone to be going crazy for it, but $3500 is a lot higher than the already high expected price.

Canon just came off a pretty bad year financially (like all Japanese electronics companies), so I guess they're just doing what they feel is in their best interest.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
With significant things being adopted from the 1DX, I really don't find the price that bad for a camera like this. The D800 being $500 cheaper wouldn't really sway my decision if I were strictly comparing the two as I prefer higher ISO performance. 22mp is enough for me.

tino

Banned
Well its official. 5D3 is the spiritual successor of D700; the D800 is the spiritual successor of the 5D2. Let's hope both CN continue to sell the old models.

Toy day!

I just ordered a Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 monopod and a LCDVF for my 7D. I'm starting to get into video more now and I'm moving from my Canon Vixia HF10 camcorder to my DSLR and needed the foundation to better shots/focus.

I'm still stuck on what I'm going to do for audio. The 7D has a hardlocked AGC (auto gain control) in the firmware and there is no way to get rid of it. The 5DMII has Magic Lantern but not the 7D :( AGC blows ass and fucks with on camera sound so my 2 options are...

1. Buy a hacked cable online, use an MP3 player to tunnel high pitch audio on one channel to confused and disable AGC or
2. Double system sound, externally recorded via a Zoom H1 or H4N or something then sync in post. This is the better quality option sure, just not sure the best device to get.

I'm using this exact same setup. First thing you will want to do is spray some WD40 on the metal ball at the bottom of the monopod to loosen it up. The ball sticks a bit if you don't (at least mine did, and I've read of others doing the same). After I used some WD40, it moves perfectly. That monopod is really, really awesome.

As for your audio situation, it's tough. I do some weddings, and I do them primarily by myself. I have an H4n and I've synced it in post. I've also got a really good wireless mic and transmitter.

So my setup is like this. Wireless receiver connected to the H4n, and then if I'm interviewing someone, they are holding the wireless mic. I've got an adapter connected to my 7D that lets me have two cold shoes. So I've got the H4n in one shoe, and the wireless receiver in the other cold shoe. And then the wire running between the receiver and the H4n. And that's all connected to my 7D, which is connected to that fairly large monopod. It gets to be a little unwieldy and kind of stupid looking. The H4n is almost as big as the camera itself. However, if I take the time to do all that, and get it all synced correctly in post, it does sound awesome. And by the way, that audio solution combined was like $1,000.

The problem is, I still need another person to hold the mic and give it to people. I just run out of hands. Plus, with only two cold shoes, and both of them being used for audio, there's nowhere to attach my light. It's not a good system. I've had my wife help me, with her being in charge of the mic. But what I've done more recently, and what I can recommend, is just to get one of these:

ESNLP.jpg

The Rode Videomic pro. It's $250. I have it and I recommend it. Yes, you'll be dealing with the AGC problem. But you know what? The AGC is really not that bad. Now, the shotgun mic is not ideal for events that are very loud, because it will pic up more ambient noise than a dedicated handheld or lapel mic. But $250 solves most of the practical problems I described above. No messing with syncing in post. One BIG thing to consider, though: If you use a shotgun mic that like that, and it's wired directly to the camera, there is no way to monitor your audio. You literally won't hear what you've recorded until it's too late to do anything about it. That is my main complaint with the 7D. With the H4n, at least you can have headphones plugged in and hear what's being recorded, and make adjustments on the fly. (And of course headphones add to all the wires and connections and crap I described above.) With the shotgun mic, no such functionality. So you really need to spend some time learning how the mic works, what it will pick up in certain situations, etc. It can be stressful if you're filming things that can't be repeated.

If you are set on getting an audio recorder, the H4n is nice. I'm not sorry I have it. I've used it at concerts and it does decent. It's also good, if you're doing weddings and they have, say, a string quarter playing, to set the H4n up on a tripod or something, and just let it capture the string quarter, and then put that back into your video later. It's just hard to use in conjunction with the 7D if you're by yourself, and you're moving around. Unless you have three hands.

One thing I would stress to you is that yes there is an AGC problem. But it's not as noticeable as you think. The complaints you read about it are from high-end professionals, and to their trained ear, I'm sure it sucks. But to common people, it's something I think is blown out of proportion. I think people pick up on the complaint about the AGC, and just keep repeating it, without stopping to think about if it's really a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom