• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hEist

The only "pro" of the new 5D is, that is have more AF points, specially Cross.
I don't see any other argument, why i should jump from mark 2 to 3.
i don't give a f*** about High ISO , cause nobody do photos with that high iso.

I am still waiting for gps/wifi in the body, not like now, that you need to purchase extra peripherals for it. i still don't understand, why it isn't integrated in this kind of cameras.
all b-class smartphones got it.
don't come up with the argument of battery drain.

giga

anyone have the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 lens? is this a good portrait lens? i have decided to upgrade to the 7D, and i'd like to have this in my arsenal, as a 135 equivalent.
Yes, I use it almost exclusively for portraits. If you're on a crop, it's the best portrait lens after the 85L. Really fast AF too. (it's used by sports photographers too)

Also, last night I shot a show at a really dim venue. I couldn't even go below iso3200 at f/1.4 for a decent shutter speed. I was really hurting for a full frame.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
i do, and it is! though it does mean i can't quite get by with my various film compacts, unfortunately. i found that NEX 30mm macro pretty indispensible for taking pictures of gadgets.
Very cool! I gotta say I'm kind of jealous :eek: Gadgets + photography are my two loves and getting paid to cover them would be fun.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I am still waiting for gps/wifi in the body, not like now, that you need to purchase extra peripherals for it. i still don't understand, why it isn't integrated in this kind of cameras.

Japanese companies are very ingrained in their thinking. Thom Hogan has been harping for the same thing for years.

Variable

How can they charge you for extra stuff if it's built in?

tino

Banned
i do, and it is! though it does mean i can't quite get by with my various film compacts, unfortunately. i found that NEX 30mm macro pretty indispensible for taking pictures of gadgets.

Well its time to upgrade the NEX3 anyway. Both 5n and 7 are good options.

yeah i really thought hard about the 5n and i'd actually prefer its sensor, but the viewfinder and dial controls are a bigger deal to me in the end. i doubt i'll want to buy another body for years once i have the 7 in hand.

certainly was time to upgrade the 3, too, especially as i'd managed to break the power switch...

Japanese companies are very ingrained in their thinking. Thom Hogan has been harping for the same thing for years.

practically every mainstream camera manufacturer today is japanese. you don't see anyone accusing panasonic or sony of lack of innovation! i think it's just that companies like canon and nikon have been successful doing basically the same thing for decades and decades, and are therefore more reticent to step outside the box.

i definitely agree that wi-fi should be standard in these. at CP+ i tried out canon's new IXY point-and-shoots with the accompanying iOS app - it worked pretty well and there's no reason at all it shouldn't be in DSLRs.

sneaky77

why would you want wi-fi in a DSLR? Is not like it makes sense to transfer the raw files via wi-fi that would take forever.

alphaNoid

Banned
I need this expanded AF setting in my life.

caption_015.jpg

The 7D already has these kinds of expanded and zone settings, but they don't work as planned. They tend to always only focus on the closest object to the lens and not what you tell it to. Because of this, I only use Single Point AF on my 7D.

tino

Banned
why would you want wi-fi in a DSLR? Is not like it makes sense to transfer the raw files via wi-fi that would take forever.

Some kind of wireless connection should be good. Either WiFi or Bluetooth.

What I want is the camera send the small VGA sized photo to the smartphone, and the companion app on the smartphone will let you twit or facebook update or ftp the large photo.

Alot of times you take out the big camera just to take 1 or 2 good shots to post on the web. This is entirely doable with current technology. And because we have the Japanese monopoly, nobody is doing it, not even on P&S. I mean this shit should be standard on all P&S.

And because none of the camera companies is doing it, we end up taking the picture with the terrible smartphone camera.

I hope some company, at lease Samsung offer that option.

mclaren777

I disagree. The 135mm focal length I prefer for limiting distortion and getting better bokeh. And 85 1.8 bokeh and sharpness >> 50mm 1.4.

135mm might be fine for single-subject head shots, but for couples/groups (especially full body), you would have to be really far away.

giga

135mm might be fine for single-subject head shots, but for couples/groups (especially full body), you would have to be really far away.
It's not that far. I'm only a few feet away when doing head shots at 135mm. Upper body shots are about 10 feet away. If you want full body or group shots, then go ahead and use the 50, since you won't be too close.

Even ignoring all that, the 85mm 1.8 is leagues above the 50 1.4 in every other quality. AF, build, bokeh, MTF.

On a crop body, 50mm becomes 80mm, which is kind of a sweet spot.

Keep in mind that although 50mm may look like 80mm on a crop body in terms of field of view, it is definitely not the same as far as the more flattering proportions that 80mm lens would render on a full frame body -- it's just a 50mm image being cropped in the camera to resemble an 80mm image. Back in the days of film and full frame bodies, 100mm was always considered the classic head & shoulders portrait lens.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah fast 50 lenses also tend to have slight pincushion distortion too versus 85mm+ focal lengths that are usually truly absent of it. Creating a well corrected fast 50 (the FF 50's are intended for true normal shooting, wider scapes being taken in instead of portraiture on FF) is harder than a fast 85. Also blur characteristics (as mentioned) are very different between these two lenses and not just the background blur, the way the Depth of Field drops off from the subject is more pleasing with an 85mm lens.

Also, from what I've seen, the 85mm focal length has the right amount of perspective distortion (too long a focal length can flatten features too much, in my opinion) that gives a face some presence. This is related to shooting distance though. This is why a lot of people dig 50mm on APS-C since the framing for head and shoulder shots are nearly the same distance of an 85mm lens.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Rumor of a ZE/ZF Zeiss 15mm f/2.8

Source Photorumors: http://tinyurl.com/6p3qs55

Zeiss is rumored to announce a new Distagon T* 2,8/15 ZF.2/ZE super wide angle lens on March 16th, 2012. The lens is expected to start shipping in May, 2012. The angle of view will be 110 degrees. The lens will have a 95mm filter thread. The widest Zeiss lens for DLSR cameras is currently the Distagon T* 18mm f/3.5 ($1,395.00). Zeiss produces also the Super Wide Angle 15mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZM lens for M-mount ($4,600.00). The new Distagon T* 2,8/15 is expected to be available for Canon and Nikon mounts (not sure at that point for any other mounts).

6v5OR.jpg

9dNzu.jpg

In my buuuuttttt

Kryptonic

I'm looking to upgrade from a D5100 to D700. I posted in the buy/sell/trade thread if anybody is interested. D5100 + 18-55 + 55-200 + 35 1.8 + 11-16mm. Selling separate or as package deal for $1250 shipped including extras.

I decided on getting a d700 and 14-24mm instead of a d800. I picked up a 14-24mm off of ebay and now looking for a d700 if anybody is looking to sell theirs.

I'll have the d700 plus holy trinity(i already have 24-70 and 70-200), I'm really excited!

Hammer24

Banned
What dedicated video camera would you guys recommend someone who isn´t too happy with the results hes getting from a 7D?
Should be full-hd, have a very good auto focus (the lack of it drives me mad on the 7D), and should have very good contrast in harsh sunlight/shadow settings, as I mostly do nature/animal shots.

Radec

Just got the NEX-7 kit.

Haven't used it yet since the battery is empty, gonna fully charge it first.

Such a gorgeous-premium quality camera.

6813199866_cc3e1646b6_o.jpg

Radec

Congrats! What lens set do you plan to shot with?

I'm gonna buy a Nikon adapter so I can use my nikkors, while waiting for the 50mm f/1.8 OSS.

I don't plan on getting that Zeiss 24mm though, I'm saving up for a Noktor f/.95 :)

tino

Banned
I'm gonna buy a Nikon adapter so I can use my nikkors, while waiting for the 50mm f/1.8 OSS.

I don't plan on getting that Zeiss 24mm though, I'm saving up for a Noktor f/.95 :)

I have a AIS 28/2.8, I may sell my Tokina 11-16 and get a AIS 50/1.2 this year. I will wait before I decide on the N5n/N7, or the XP1. As for wider lens, I will just make do with the NEX 16 and ECU1.

Check are the couple Voigtlander M mount lenses, they are pretty sharp.

Pachimari

I'm gonna use my Canon 60D in the coming time to video record, but as I am testing it, how come it only want to record 12 minutes and then stops?

Is it my SD card? Should I get an SanDisk Extreme Pro 45M/s?

mclaren777

I'm gonna use my Canon 60D in the coming time to video record, but as I am testing it, how come it only want to record 12 minutes and then stops?

That's probably the time limit before reaching 4GB (that's unavoidable with FAT32 data storage).

You can install Magic Lantern firmware to overcome that.

So the chip doesn't overheat, probably.

edit: or not, looking around online a sec I can't really tell.

I just picked up a canon powershot s100. All I ever had was an older sd630 powershot and I really am not a great photographer. I do want to get into the hobby more, but I really don't have a great grasp on things, so I figured the s100 would give me decent shots with the option of manual control/features for the budget I had. If I had a bit more money I would have gone with a Nikon d3100 but, maybe if I get good at this, I will then save up and get a true dslr.

Forsete

Radec: Congrats. :p Its a fantastic camera. Wanna trade for that black lens? I have one in a very exclusive and rare chromium finish. ;)

giga

What is the best way to upgrade if I currently have LR3 and the LR4 beta?

Should I uninstall the beta first before installing the final version of LR4?
You probably can uninstall it, though I don't think it's necessary beforehand. It just upgrades your existing LR3 library (you get to specify which catalog to upgrade).

Futureman

So the chip doesn't overheat, probably.

edit: or not, looking around online a sec I can't really tell.

I believe it's a licensing issue with some European country where the camera would cost more if records longer than 12 minutes.

It does also have to do with the sensor overheating.

The new Canons, not sure exactly when, have a feature where they start a new file after 12 minutes and it's seamless.

Just got the NEX-7 kit.

Haven't used it yet since the battery is empty, gonna fully charge it first.

Such a gorgeous-premium quality camera.

6813199866_cc3e1646b6_o.jpg

i got my NEX-7 today as well! i'd take a picture but it'd either be with my iphone or on film : /

anyway it is pretty amazing, the usability improvements over the other NEX cameras are unbelievable. not only that, but i think manual mode in basically every DSLR ever made is going to feel gimped for me from now on - why don't all cameras have separate dials for ISO, aperture, and shutter speed!

it sucks that i only have the kit lens to play with right now (though it is nice in black). i'm going to buy a used nex-5 16mm kit just for the lens and extra battery as it'll work out cheaper than getting them separately, then i need to re-buy the 30mm macro (essential for work), get the 50 1.8 asap and maybe the 55-210 at some point.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Just bought a refurb Mark II on Canon's website. Stoked :)
Congrats, you're going to love it.

ISO6400 looks pretty good on the 5D3.
From a test I saw (here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-5d-mkiii/canon-5d-mkiiiTHMB.HTM) detail remains very consistent up until ISO3200, with a dip at 6400 and again at 12,800 but the low amount of noise itself is quite amazing. I'd have no problems using 12,800 by the looks of it.

What dedicated video camera would you guys recommend someone who isn´t too happy with the results hes getting from a 7D?
Should be full-hd, have a very good auto focus (the lack of it drives me mad on the 7D), and should have very good contrast in harsh sunlight/shadow settings, as I mostly do nature/animal shots.
Rough budget would help.

Pachimari

That's probably the time limit before reaching 4GB (that's unavoidable with FAT32 data storage).

You can install Magic Lantern firmware to overcome that.

Yea, I just asked them and it doesn't solve it. I thought the 60D were really great for video and I need more than 12 minutes.

I'll take a look at what you suggest. How many minutes will I be able to record then?

Hammer24

Banned
Hmm, Sony EX3?

Looks definitely interesting, just going by the tech specs. Is this the best autofocus to be had in this price segment?
Oh, and ideally I´d like to use my EF lenses - aside from the C300 I´d be shit outta luck there, right?

And thx for helping me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom