• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

I'm pretty much 10% away from buying a NEX-C3 w/ an 18-55mm lens. I just want to know, is this a good choice? I'm not a professional photographer, but I guess I'm just a guy who wants to learn and become an enthusiast.

I'm tired of point-and-shoot cameras and their terrible qualities, lack of ability to capture fast-moving actions, etc...

So my main question is: Is the C3 a good camera for me? Is there something (has to be mirro-less) that is on par or better but for less?

Thanks!

tino

Banned
I'm pretty much 10% away from buying a NEX-C3 w/ an 18-55mm lens. I just want to know, is this a good choice? I'm not a professional photographer, but I guess I'm just a guy who wants to learn and become an enthusiast.

I'm tired of point-and-shoot cameras and their terrible qualities, lack of ability to capture fast-moving actions, etc...

So my main question is: Is the C3 a good camera for me? Is there something (has to be mirro-less) that is on par or better but for less?

Thanks!

It's a good learner camera, assuming you want to grow your skill. There is no "bad" choice among the mirrorless cameras, especially for older models, because the market will adjust to the true value of the camera. So... you can go ahead and pick the one the look good to you. Don't spend too much on a new one though.

VVVV There has never been a cheap retro looking camera.

Hieberrr

It's a good learner camera, assuming you want to grow your skill. There is no "bad" choice among the mirrorless cameras, especially for older models, because the market will adjust to the true value of the camera. So... you can go ahead and pick the one the look good to you. Don't spend too much on a new one though.

VVVV There has never been a cheap retro looking camera.

The package is 599.99, which is more than I have ever spent on any piece of electronics. Having said that, I do want this as a long term investment and I do want this to learn and turn into a hobby.

Is 599 too much or should I look elsewhere? NEX-3 or ???

i would say the nex-5n is easily worth the extra $100 on the C3 if you want it as a long-term investment — better quality construction & ergonomics, viewfinder option, almost unbeatable sensor etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys I have a friend who is using a really low-end point and shoot and she would like a better camera, but something easy to carry around and not too complex.

I have a friend who has a Sony NEX-5K, she takes great pictures with it. Probably not very good in low light conditions like sunset/sunrise, etc., but otherwise seemed easy to handle and the quality was good.

Do you guys have any camera to recommend? Also maybe a simple book or site on composition or what makes a photograph stand out, but not something too technical. Just so she can have some good material to read about to develop a good "photo" eye.

Thanks

edit: oh nice, similar to Hieberrr's situation.

Hieberrr

Guys I have a friend who is using a really low-end point and shoot and she would like a better camera, but something easy to carry around and not too complex.

I have a friend who has a Sony NEX-5K, she takes great pictures with it. Probably not very good in low light conditions like sunset/sunrise, etc., but otherwise seemed easy to handle and the quality was good.

Do you guys have any camera to recommend? Also maybe a simple book or site on composition or what makes a photograph stand out, but not something too technical. Just so she can have some good material to read about to develop a good "photo" eye.

Thanks

edit: oh nice, similar to Hieberrr's situation.

I'll be picking the C3 up this Thursday, so I'll tell you how it is :p LOL I am so excited!

and yeah, I'd also love to get my hands on some info on that! :p I'm currently reading up on basics on here: http://www.alexandrebuisse.org/resources/photo-class and http://www.photoble.com/photography-tips-tricks/tips-to-become-a-better-photographer

Pachimari

Come to think of it after watching DigitalRevTV, how can one transfer your photographies from a Leica (M2/M6) camera to your computer, now that they uses films?

And another question is, why is it, that when I shoot photos at night with light posts in the background, that the lights become all crazy and all over the place, with a Canon 60D?

aerts1js

Seems like such a silly question, but I recently got a Sony Nex 5n and was wondering what's the best way to print one of the long panoramic shots?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
For those wondering about how capable the 5N is, it currently has one of the best APS-C sensors you can get at $699 for the body and lens. That's a huge deal. Its usable up to 3200, and 6400 for those less concerned with pixel peeping.

Pachimari

Using a slow shutter speed?

I really don't know. I'm really new to this camera stuff. It looks like this:

xPcfhl.jpg

And on some, the sky is orange. I think I had the camera set to Night mode.

Radec

^
You're using a Flash while the shutter speed is low. like 1" - 2"

Try putting it in Aperture Priority instead of Manual or Shutter Priority if you just want some easy snapshots.

:)

MRORANGE

Come to think of it after watching DigitalRevTV, how can one transfer your photographies from a Leica (M2/M6) camera to your computer, now that they uses films?

And another question is, why is it, that when I shoot photos at night with light posts in the background, that the lights become all crazy and all over the place, with a Canon 60D?

slow shutter speed, use a tripod if you can.

for the leica's just use a film scanner or get a lab to do it.

tino

Banned
^
You're using a Flash while the shutter speed is low. like 1" - 2"

Try putting it in Aperture Priority instead of Manual or Shutter Priority if you just want some easy snapshots.

:)

This is probably the "flash with background landscape" mode, usually the shutter won't go that low.

I am looking for the best camera/camcorder under 300 cad dollars. I keep looking at them in wallmart and bestbuy but I am not very knowledgeable. If it can do 1080p with great fps and good still photo I would take it. I am not techy so I do not need many options as well. Old one is also fine.

tino

Banned
I am looking for the best camera/camcorder under 300 cad dollars. I keep looking at them in wallmart and bestbuy but I am not very knowledgeable. If it can do 1080p with great fps and good still photo I would take it. I am not techy so I do not need many options as well. Old one is also fine.
Somebody brought a GF3 with a pancake lens from Amazon warehouse for about 300+

How can I change the Shutter Speed? And I see nowhere to put it in Aperture Priority?

I'll try look in the menu again.

You need to either use a larger aperture (lower f-number) or raise the ISO, that will force a faster shutter speed in Aperture Priority. ISO is the third basic exposure variable in digital cameras.

Flo_Evans

I really don't know. I'm really new to this camera stuff. It looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/xPcfhl.jpg[IMG]

And on some, the sky is orange. I think I had the camera set to Night mode.[/QUOTE]

Night mode will usually automatically enable slow shutter and rear curtain sync.

This mode is useful if you want to get some of the background, but should usually be used with a tripod. The sky ends up being orange because the camera is setting the white balance for the flash, which is a very high color temp (blue) light.

The standard auto mode should set the shutter speed to 1/60, and avoid crazy light trails. The background will be black/very dark though with only the subject lit by the flash and little to no ambient light captured.

You may consider the Fujifilm X10 or the new Olympus OM-D E-M5. The body only of the OM-D is cheaper,but not with a lens.
Really want to try the E-M5. Pairing it with all of the superb m43 lenses makes for a winning combination. I'd always recommend m43 over the Nex system for people wanting to get into photography as good lens selection is key. Especially with the pace that bodies / sensors are improving.

Shuusui

Guys, I have a quick question, but I'm really interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I think I'm 90% on my decision, but wanna get my thoughts out.

I just got my annual bonus and I'm looking to pick up a few toys. I'm somewhat new to photography, but I think after many hours of research, and many recommendations from colleagues at work, I'm ready to dive in. My quick question: Is the Sony NEX-5N (the one that comes with the 18-55mm lens) a good starting camera, or should I look at the NEX-7? At $699 (going off Amazon prices), it's a huge difference. 'Better to start cheap and build up with more sophisticated lenses?

Thanks in advance guys!

Guys, I have a quick question, but I'm really interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I think I'm 90% on my decision, but wanna get my thoughts out.

I just got my annual bonus and I'm looking to pick up a few toys. I'm somewhat new to photography, but I think after many hours of research, and many recommendations from colleagues at work, I'm ready to dive in. My quick question: Is the Sony NEX-5N (the one that comes with the 18-55mm lens) a good starting camera, or should I look at the NEX-7? At $699 (going off Amazon prices), it's a huge difference. 'Better to start cheap and build up with more sophisticated lenses?

Thanks in advance guys!

I'd go for the 5n to start with if you have settled on the nex system. The 7 is an exceptional camera going by the reviews but it is expensive for someone fairly new.

I would, however always suggest going into a shop and handling them.
I much preferred the handling of the m43 systems (better body / lens balance & overall size for me) after going in to have a look at them. The far better lens choice sealed the deal.

Radec

Thanks in advance guys!

The 5n has the same sensor like the Nikon D7000. So basically you're getting a DSLR quality camera on a tiny body.

The NEX7 has better controls and viewfinder, but in terms of low light, the 5N trumps it.

Get the 18-55 to start things off, then go for primes after. 50mm or the 16mm.

sneaky77

Hey guys I have a 50D which I love, but I am looking for something compact that maybe has a decent lense to take to concerts and stuff like that, if it handles raw then even better.. any suggestions?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
It's amazing how no matter what you know about taking photos, there is always something new. I tried fill flash yesterday for the first time with my kids at a park in the bright sun and it's just another wrinkle to add to what I need to think about when talking pictures.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a GXR Mount A12 + body. I'll use it with my CV Nokton 35/1.4 and various 50s, and I'll pick up an OM 24mm 2.8 to use with an adapter.

I think I'm gonna...

0iVqq.gif

BlueTsunami

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a GXR Mount A12 + body. I'll use it with my CV Nokton 35/1.4 and various 50s, and I'll pick up an OM 24mm 2.8 to use with an adapter.

I think I'm gonna...

0iVqq.gif

The only thing, jiji, is that there are rumblings of a A16 module with the 16MP sensor in the 5N. Not sure when this is supposed to come out though.

The only thing, jiji, is that there are rumblings of a A16 module with the 16MP sensor in the 5N. Not sure when this is supposed to come out though.

Yeah, those rumors put me off the module for a while. But the time frame mentioned in the original rumor thread (oh hey, you posted in there! ha) has come and gone, and I've never known Ricoh to be a company with quick product cycles, regardless of sensor availability.

High ISO and the smallish buffer are the two things about the GXR M-mount that make me cautious, but I'm looking to pick up a new body, and it's hitting a sweet spot for me.

tino

Banned
Yeah, those rumors put me off the module for a while. But the time frame mentioned in the original rumor thread (oh hey, you posted in there! ha) has come and gone, and I've never known Ricoh to be a company with quick product cycles, regardless of sensor availability.

High ISO and the smallish buffer are the two things about the GXR M-mount that make me cautious, but I'm looking to pick up a new body, and it's hitting a sweet spot for me.

Have you consider the M8? If the M10 is announced this year the price of the M8 should go down more. And 1.3X is considerably better than 1.5X

Have you consider the M8? If the M10 is announced this year the price of the M8 should go down more. And 1.3X is considerably better than 1.5X

I considered it a couple of years ago. Between the infrared magenta shifts, the poor performance above ISO 320, the various other technical problems, the bulk compared to a film M, the likely repair costs when something goes wrong, since a cheap M8 will be out of warranty... If I was spending that much, it'd be on an X-Pro 1.

I'm still halfway considering a NEX-5N, but I'm not a fan of the controls or ergonomics. And I'm not sure the NEX-7 is really all there when it comes to RF lenses.

tino

Banned
I considered it a couple of years ago. Between the infrared magenta shifts, the poor performance above ISO 320, the various other technical problems, the bulk compared to a film M, the likely repair costs when something goes wrong, since a cheap M8 will be out of warranty... If I was spending that much, it'd be on an X-Pro 1.

I'm still halfway considering a NEX-5N, but I'm not a fan of the controls or ergonomics. And I'm not sure the NEX-7 is really all there when it comes to RF lenses.

XP1 still has to wait at a few more months before the firmware with good MF support come out. If it's my money, I would buy a cheap body for now and spend the rest of the money on lenses; get the XP1 next year when the market price settle down. It all depends on the lens you plan to get, really.

BlueTsunami

From the impressions and tests I've seen, it doesn't really handle particular lenses wider than 35mm too well. Definite color shift and smearing at the edges with particular lenses. Which is unfortunate since the sensor seems to be pretty good at base ISO.

Also Leica is supposed to be announcing something(s) on May 10th. Its obviously the M10 but I'm hoping they drop hints on their own interchangeable lens mirrorless body.

Looking for a recommendation on a DSLR bag. I ordered a T2i and it's being delivered today. Need a bad to carry around the body, kit lens and a extra battery.

Thinking getting one these:

AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR Cameras - $40

Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR - $40

Lowepro Adventura 170 LP36108 Black Shoulder DSLR Bag - $40

Don't really care about looks and space since I plan to stick with the kit lens and maybe a 55-250, and a extra battery. I'm primarily concerned about build quality and protection. Out of these would you recommend? If none, what is your recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

sneaky77

I have the backpack, is great imo.. is plenty big if you ever buy any additional equipment to fit without issue, I regularly keep the body with a lense attached and 2 other lenses

Hieberrr

I picked up my C3 earlier today. It is amazing! It's my first real camera, so it's fun to play around with the settings. I have yet to test it outside, but so far, I'm loving it!

Just a question though: In extremely low light conditions, say a musician on a stage with a spot light on him/her, what setting should I be concentrating on? I know that I have to change the ISO to accommodate for the lack of light, but what else? I take it I also have to use a lower f-stop?

alphaNoid

Banned
Looking for a recommendation on a DSLR bag. I ordered a T2i and it's being delivered today. Need a bad to carry around the body, kit lens and a extra battery.

Don't really care about looks and space since I plan to stick with the kit lens and maybe a 55-250, and a extra battery. I'm primarily concerned about build quality and protection. Out of these would you recommend? If none, what is your recommendation?

Thank you in advance!

I use a LowPro Slingshot 202AW and love it.

Forsete

What is the recommended shutter speed when filming at 25 and 50 frames per second?
I've read something about the 180° rule, which would be 1/50 for 25fps and 1/100 for 50fps? Does that apply for digital sensors though? The articles about this often end up in technical mumbo jumbo which I dont care about right now. :p

I found that a shutter speed of 1/25 and 1/50 (for 25fps) are very pleasant to the eye, so I'll keep using those.
One fun fact is the camera does all the way down to 1/5 (I think it was), which results in some pretty freaky looking footage. :)

dmshaposv

What is the recommended shutter speed when filming at 25 and 50 frames per second?
I've read something about the 180° rule, which would be 1/50 for 25fps and 1/100 for 50fps? Does that apply for digital sensors though? The articles about this often end up in technical mumbo jumbo which I dont care about right now. :p

I found that a shutter speed of 1/25 and 1/50 (for 25fps) are very pleasant to the eye, so I'll keep using those.
One fun fact is the camera does all the way down to 1/5 (I think it was), which results in some pretty freaky looking footage. :)

As a rule - I use 1/50 for 25fps and 1/125 for 60fps (or 1/100 for 50fps).

I remember seeing a video and apparently the shutter speed makes a big difference especially when shooting at a higher fps. Basically the motion looks more smoother with a faster shutter speed - as when you slow down or conform to 24fps you have more transitional frames or "stills". I've seen some people pull off faux 1000fps slow mo tricks on their 7D/60D/600D using crazy shutter speeds of 1/1000 at 50fps (in broad daylight, though, of course). Effects are surprisingly cool.

This of course is with something like 50/60 fps. For 24fps 1/50 is good because it gives nice motion blur. Otherwise, a faster shutter speed gives a "stuttery" look to the footage.

theskat

Banned
Im heading to Disney World on Saturday, and tonight found out that my MiniDV Camcorder is dead ( I know, I know! its old anyway! ). So, the wife now is insisting that we get a new HD camcorder, and Im all but settled on a Sony HDR-CX200/B. For $339, is it a good choice? I have to decide this by tonight since I have to go tomorrow and pick one up. :/

tomjr

Thank you in advance!

The type of bag you pick depends on how you carry your gear and shoot. You might have to try / buy a few different types and sizes before you figure out what works best for you. I have a bunch of bags for different purposes.

I would choose the Adventura because I prefer shoulder bags. I can stash the camera in the shoulder bag faster than I could with the backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom