• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Must be digitally corrected.

I don't think so, there's a slight amount of barrel distortion seen in the shots of architecture. Also, to put this in context, the Canon 14/2.8 MKII has a striking lack of distortion for its focal length too. The advent of aspherical glass elements has really helped in mitigating distortion issues with wide angle lenses.

Flynn77

Every time I see this thread bump I cross my fingers for news of the rumored Nikon D7100. (I know I can dream) I'll be ready this year to go to the next level body wise. Currently still rocking a D40!(It's done me proud in advancing my skill/knowledge though)

BlueTsunami

Zeiss finally announced it

PwAO6.jpg

CLB_Distagon_28_15ZE_side.jpg

Focal length 15 mm
Aperture range f/2.8 – f/22
Focusing range 0.25 m – infinity
Number of elements/groups 15/12
Angular field, diag./horiz./vert. 110° / 100° / 76°
Coverage at close range 340 x 221 mm
Filter thread M95 x 1.0
Dimensions (with caps) ø 103 mm, length 132-135 mm
Weight 730g-820g
Camera mounts F Mount (ZF.2)
EF Mount (ZE)

MSRP of $2900! Wow!

It looks to be an amazing super wide though. Low distortion, promising nearly nonexistent Chromatic Aberrations (which is very important for color separation and a feeling of clarity, especially in a wide angle which renders a lot of fine detail).

tino

Banned
Until somebody do a head to head with 14-24mm, we don't know how good it is.

And I am not convinced its better than the "big light bulb".

BlueTsunami

MRORANGE

how much light could I get more out of at f/1.2 than a f/1.8 ?

for example right now I took a pic at 1/8th of a second at iso 800 at f/1.8, how much better would a f/1.2 be in this situation? also compared to a f/1.4?

tino

Banned
how much light could I get more out of at f/1.2 than a f/1.8 ?

for example right now I took a pic at 1/8th of a second at iso 800 at f/1.8, how much better would a f/1.2 be in this situation? also compared to a f/1.4?
You get 1 1/3 more stop of light. So shutter speed should be 1/20?

tino

Banned
that's not bad, I really wanted to drop down to iso 400, since 800 shows a bit of noise.

I saw a 55mm f/1.2 nikkor for £149/$200 so I might get it.
I don't believe you can get that 55/1.2 for $200. Anyway a tripod is alot cheaper than a 1.2 lens.

Made the rounds of the mirrorless cameras at B&H yesterday. Put in my preorder for a NEX-7 today. :) As soon as I picked it up, it just felt right. And it's fast.

I'm intending to use it in place of my GRD3, as well as to fill the spot of the full-frame DSLR (D700 or 5DmkII) I'd always assumed I'd save up for. I'm pretty surprised, myself!

Radec

Made the rounds of the mirrorless cameras at B&H yesterday. Put in my preorder for a NEX-7 today. :) As soon as I picked it up, it just felt right. And it's fast.

I'm intending to use it in place of my GRD3, as well as to fill the spot of the full-frame DSLR (D700 or 5DmkII) I'd always assumed I'd save up for. I'm pretty surprised, myself!

Brace yourself for the awesomeness.

You should get the Zeiss 24 or the SEL50 if don't have any legacy lenses. The kitlens won't do justice.

I'm still waiting for my Nikkor G adapter to arrive.

Hi guys, I'm looking to sell two lenses to put money towards two more, how much do you think I could get for these:

Nikon 70-300 VR II
Nikon 50mm 1.8

Both are in very good condition and have pouches and caps, no visible marks on the glass or bodies.

Thanks.

Shuusui

Okay - bit the bullet.

Bought myself a Sony NEX-5n with the kit lens. Not sure what to do next, aside from delve into learning the menu and a couple of tricks along the way. Thanks for your help, guys!

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
After more research into a product than I have ever done before, I have now finally ordered my X100. I cannot wait until Friday.

The bast part is I actually saved the money ahead of time, so I can hold onto my Rebel XSI as well.

Question related more to photography more than camera equipment but I'm not sure where else to ask it... but I'm looking to create a photo slideshow with music and maybe a few animations.

How would I go about doing such a thing? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi guys, I'm looking to sell two lenses to put money towards two more, how much do you think I could get for these:

Nikon 70-300 VR II
Nikon 50mm 1.8

Both are in very good condition and have pouches and caps, no visible marks on the glass or bodies.

Thanks.

Just ballparking, but 400ish for the 70-300, and 95 for the 50mm1.8

What are you planning to get instead?

Shotgun mic on a eos 550d yes or no?

It noticeably improves the sound quality but not to the point where you can't tell that there is something off with the sound. There are some YouTube video reviews of it (where people record themselves using the mic/camera). This is the single reason putting me off Canon's entry DSLR's. I would also recommend considering installing Magic firmware on it as it does impact the sound quality for the better

jmdajr

Fixing to get our first DSLR with our Tax Return.

I'm pretty set on the Nikkon D7000, since it fits my price range. Anyone have an opinion on it?
Any owners here?

From what I read the Cannon competitor is better for video, but the Nikkon is better for pictures.

link

sneaky77

I'm pretty set on the Nikkon D7000, since it fits my price range. Anyone have an opinion on it?
Any owners here?

From what I read the Cannon competitor is better for video, but the Nikkon is better for pictures.

link

My advice would be to check amazon, bhphoto and adorama see if they have any offers as well lol

Radec

Any owners here?

link

I think that's a pretty good deal.

Just buy a 50mm and you're pretty much set

jmdajr

what are you getting the camera for? Like what do you want to take pictures of. 35mm may be better for you on the crop camera than the 50.

Ahem....well we got a little one on the way :)

But I see what you mean. The 50mm is for a full frame camera I believe?

Zoe

I just got into photography, but I think its a prime lens. So, you can only adjust f-stops and the focus. So, this isn't a zoom lens.

It was the f-stops that made me pause because I'm used to adjusting that through the camera itself.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ahem....well we got a little one on the way :)

But I see what you mean. The 50mm is for a full frame camera I believe?

well the 50 will work fine on the crop, its just a tighter field of view than the 35. I would go with the 35 as it will give you more of a normal field of view. But with either one your doing foot zoom since they are primes.

Hieberrr

What is a good and affordable 50mm equivalent lens for the Nex (C3) line?

I don't like walking around with a huge lens attached to my camera.

BlueTsunami

Are prime lenses generally all more suited to low light scenes or are some primes better?

Not in all cases. A single focal length lens design allows for simpler designs that ultimately can allow more light to transmit without the lens getting too big or too expensive to manufacture. With that said there are moderate speed primes out there (f/2.8, f/3.5 etc as fast as a zoom lens or slower in some cases) that are made for budget conscious shooters or a design choice to keep the lens size small. How good a lens performs in low light depends on its largest f-stop (designated by smaller numbers) and obviously fast lenses aren't at their optical best at these large apertures.

Flo_Evans

You think that's much better than this?

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

I'm still new to the SLR side of things. But yeah I do think I need a smaller big aperture lens.

For baby pics the 35mm is a better focal length. You will actually end up wanting something even wider, but I would start with the 35mm 1.8.

So I'm a newbie with all this stuff. Do you adjust everything manually on the lens with this one?

No, well you can, that is an older nikon "D" lens that still has an aperture ring and no focus motor (will only autofocus if the camera body has a motor in it). You can still set the aperture automatically with the camera or (again if the camera body supports it) use the ring on the lens.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I took delivery of my X100 today.

My initial impressions are very positive but it's so different from an SLR it was like culture shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom