• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think Instagram works well for masking shitty optics and sensors some camera phones have but the camera system in a smartphone like the iPhone 4s don't need that crutch anymore.

Oh man, the tweets from sorrowful apple users is hilarious. A++ to wario's instagram'd screenshot.

I won't lie; 'Wish I would have though of the app myself.

tokkun

Why is this a thing

Because I hate over-processed photography, and Instagram promotes the use of tacky filters to make pictures more interesting and causes most users to ignore the basics of choosing a subject and creating a good composition. I am sick to death of pictures of mundane objects with a sepia color cast, low contrast, and artificial vignetting.

Instagram : Photography :: Dynamic Range Compression : Music

Shurs

I've been eyeing a Canon t3i for some time now. I see that the kit with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens is $749 on Amazon today, which is $50 less than it was for the past month.

Is this a good price for the camera?

Keeping in mind that I'm a novice, is the stock lens any good?

I'm very interested in using the camera for video, as well. Can one achieve a cinematic look with a lens that has such a high aperture?

Should I just buy the body and a "nifty fifty" instead? It comes out to about the same price as the camera with the 18-55 lens.

If I only buy the body, does it come with everything that the lens kit comes with except for the lens?

Any advice would be great.

Radec

Finally, the transition is complete.

7047170361_b686e64aa8.jpg

Radec

Only need the SB900 for the CLS on some occasion though.

I won't bother bringing that huge flash for snapshots. :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Awesome, thank you!

No longer will the weird connector on top of my C3 be useless. :p

Is there anything to watch out for as far as voltage of the flash goes? Does the SB900 play well with it?

Radec

Awesome, thank you!

No longer will the weird connector on top of my C3 be useless. :p

Is there anything to watch out for as far as voltage of the flash goes? Does the SB900 play well with it?

err.. C3 ?

It only works on Regular Sony Hotshoe, not on NEX hotshoe. :/

Flo_Evans

Dropped my 7D on the concrete.

aq3SY.jpg

Seems to have broken off something internally in the lens... any experience dealing with canon lens repair?

Flo_Evans

Have you tried taking the filter off?

Yeah I got it off, was jammed pretty good. Had to cut it with some snips.

I filled out the repair deal on canons website, going to ship it off this weekend to get repaired. They estimated $100 and a week turn around time, not to bad! We will see though. The AF and VR seemed to be working, but whatever plastic bit broke inside seems to be interfering with the zoom.

Body seems completely fine, the sensor cleaning seems a bit louder then before? I never paid much attention to it though so maybe its normal.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Are you comparing a sensor cleaning initiated from the menu versus the one that happens at startup (if you have that option on)? The cleaning initiated from the menu is typically a bit louder than the automatic on that happens on on/off.

alterno69

Banned
The worst part is the included flash is pretty fucking useless with the 18-55 lens cause it casts a huge shadow on the subjects :(

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm making do so far with a really fast lens, but I really wish they have a good flash using that connector in the pipe line.

golem

Dropped my 7D on the concrete.

aq3SY.jpg

Seems to have broken off something internally in the lens... any experience dealing with canon lens repair?

I sent in my 50mm to get inspected and calibrated after a drop, they're pretty good-- will let you know if its under warranty or give you a quote for the repair (they covered it for free). Seems their turnaround time is about 2 weeks. I believe there is a center in New Jersey and one in Irvine (which I used).

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I've had my X100 for about 2 and a half weeks now, and cannot decide whether to keep it or not. On a base level I love the camera. It's biggest issue is slower than a DSLR autofocus, which is a major issue for me because I am trying to take pictures of a 3 and 5 year old (they move fast).

Another minor issues I have:
  • The photos it takes are 3:2 and not 4:3, which I do not care for.
  • Because of the leaf shutter, there are some limitations in terms of shutter speed/aperture combos you can use. The built in ND filter helps with this though.
  • Macro mode autofocus is INSANELY slow.

Other than these issues I love everything about the camera, from its portability to the manual controls. The firmware is not the nightmare I had been led to believe either. The photos it takes are simply great of course, but anyone who knows anything about the camera knew that was the case.

I could of course keep my full DSLR setup to go with it but that is sort of opulent I think, plus the hassle of having to decide which camera to bring (or even worse both) is an issue I am trying to avoid.

Pachimari

I don't know what has happened or when it happened, but today I noticed that some of the black paint on my Canon EOS 60D (down right corner of the screen) has scratched off so much that the metal underneath is visible. It kind of bothers me, is there a way to paint it oneself?

Photography taken with iPhone 4, so poor quality.
cKhaol.jpg

BlueTsunami

I could of course keep my full DSLR setup to go with it but that is sort of opulent I think, plus the hassle of having to decide which camera to bring (or even worse both) is an issue I am trying to avoid.

Maybe roll it all into a NEX setup? Seems like the best of both worlds, although you obviously don't get the perks of rangefinder shooting. Native lenses are an issue too of course. Its too bad the Zeiss 24/1.8 with a NEX7 costs as much as an X-Pro 1 and lens and doesn't have the same footprint as the X100.

giga

I've had my X100 for about 2 and a half weeks now, and cannot decide whether to keep it or not. On a base level I love the camera. It's biggest issue is slower than a DSLR autofocus, which is a major issue for me because I am trying to take pictures of a 3 and 5 year old (they move fast).

Another minor issues I have:
  • The photos it takes are 3:2 and not 4:3, which I do not care for.
  • Because of the leaf shutter, there are some limitations in terms of shutter speed/aperture combos you can use. The built in ND filter helps with this though.
  • Macro mode autofocus is INSANELY slow.

Other than these issues I love everything about the camera, from its portability to the manual controls. The firmware is not the nightmare I had been led to believe either. The photos it takes are simply great of course, but anyone who knows anything about the camera knew that was the case.

I had the same problem when I got my GF2. Once I was spoiled by slr AF, it was a lost cause.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Did you update to newest firmware? I read they supposedly made it focus faster?

Yes. It is still slow.

Maybe roll it all into a NEX setup? Seems like the best of both worlds, although you obviously don't get the perks of rangefinder shooting. Native lenses are an issue too of course. Its too bad the Zeiss 24/1.8 with a NEX7 costs as much as an X-Pro 1 and lens and doesn't have the same footprint as the X100.

If I am going to have something larger than a compact like the X100 I may as well stick with my Canon glass and body. The NEX with lens is not smaller by enough of a margin for me to want to dump what I have.

BlueTsunami

If I am going to have something larger than a compact like the X100 I may as well stick with my Canon glass and body. The NEX with lens is not smaller by enough of a margin for me to want to dump what I have.

The NEX7 body is actually slightly smaller than the X100...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nex_7_size.shtml

of course the native lenses add a quite a bit of length to it versus the X100. But there's always the Sony 16mm pancake (although that's quite a wide FoV and I'm sure no match for the Fuji lens). Sony should really think about releasing more high quality pancake lenses.

Hello Camera GAF. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in late July, and we've sworn we will NOT be the couple that takes baby pictures with a shitty camera or iPhone. So, we've decided to finally take the DSL plunge, but don't really know too much about what brand/features we need. Bottom line is we'd like to have all accessories (case, extra lenses if needed) and the camera for $800 or less. Any recommendations? We are newbs, so any advice or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Stalfos

Hello Camera GAF. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in late July, and we've sworn we will NOT be the couple that takes baby pictures with a shitty camera or iPhone. So, we've decided to finally take the DSL plunge, but don't really know too much about what brand/features we need. Bottom line is we'd like to have all accessories (case, extra lenses if needed) and the camera for $800 or less. Any recommendations? We are newbs, so any advice or direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

You will probably be taking a lot of pictures indoors with low light. So my recommendations are to get something that handles high ISO well and/or get a good fast prime lens such as a 50mm f/1.8.

tino

Banned
The Nikon 1 system actually is very good for taking baby photos if you don't want to learn and just want something that focus fast in indoor low light situations and gives decent image quality.

Its strength is focus speed, gradual IQ degradation for high ISO and very P&S like learning curve.

Ember128

Canon Rebel T1i w/18-55mm lens kit, Canon 50mm F1.8 Lens, a Lowepro Nova 140AW bag, and one of those off brand duracell cards (a class 6 or 10 for speed, size is alright) from futureshop. Check with the local camera store that isn't best buy or futureshop for the camera, lens, and bag, whatever is on sale at best buy or futureshop for the higher Class cards is fine.

The 18-55mm lens will give you a little flexibility to give you a wide-ish angle for landscape, and gives you a little zoom which is really handy to have.

The 50 F1.8 is for photos of people. It does this if you want to focus the attention on the subject and away from the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom