• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

The lens mounted on the E-M5 in my pic is the Panasonic-Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4...kinda on the pricey side at around $500+ but a really excellent, sharp piece of glass.

But I also have the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens as well...great 'budget' lens which you can find at around $170 on eBay. I actually find myself using this often because of the smaller size, lighter weight, and the wider-angle =)

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic_14_2p5_100-300_4-5p6/images/14/allroundview.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Yup I got the 14mm 2.5 now also on my GF2 and the size is just amazing for the performance you get. Saving up for a either the 20mm or Pana-Leica 25mm. Hopefully within a year either get the OM-D or the next GH3.

RuGalz

After 10+ years of Canon DSLRs I am seriously considering jumping ship to Nikon.

I think the D800 offers a better value proposition for what I want to do.

I'm renting a 5D Mark III this weekend and then a D800 a week or two after. It should be interesting since I have literally never so much as held a Nikon DSLR before.

Seems like a good number of professionals are jumping to D800 from various brands. I wish there are sales number for these things; it would be interesting to see.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I've noticed and come to the theory that people love "olympus blue" because their white balance sensor is more accurate than other cameras. Green's seem richer to me and blues seem bluer. But even with my Oly's set to 5600, Lightroom reads it more along the lines of 5200. It's something thats easy to duplicate if you shoot raw and fix your WB in post.
Also something about the colours make it seem nicer than the C3. Dunno what.
too funny that these were posted right together. I having used an e510, e30, e5, ep2 and epl1 all in RAW, I definitely believe its the white balance.

Seems like a good number of professionals are jumping to D800 from various brands. I wish there are sales number for these things; it would be interesting to see.
there are, bythom.com usually has them when they are released. I don't believe it will be that high only for the fact that nikon can only make 25k of them a month.

Damaged

Yup I got the 14mm 2.5 now also on my GF2 and the size is just amazing for the performance you get. Saving up for a either the 20mm or Pana-Leica 25mm. Hopefully within a year either get the OM-D or the next GH3.

Just got my wife the 14mm 2.5 for a small travel lens and I'm very impressed with it for the size

Just got my wife the 14mm 2.5 for a small travel lens and I'm very impressed with it for the size

Great lens. Silent AF and all.

I just wish it was a bit brighter. I would have traded a bit of its small size to make it more similar to the 20mm f1.7 (still small in my book).

Tonza

My camera-quest is now complete. I ended up selling my Fuji X100 and got a Panasonic GX1 with the older kit lens. Today I got the PL 25mm 1.4.

Next up I will probably go for the 14mm/2.5 and Oly 45mm/1.8.

Can't wait to go test the PL tomorrow.

Damaged

Great lens. Silent AF and all.

I just wish it was a bit brighter. I would have traded a bit of its small size to make it more similar to the 20mm f1.7 (still small in my book).

Yeah i was between the 20mm and the 14mm but we are off to japan in a few months so i want to save some cash to see what i can pick up over there

Errr, I have the EPM1, not the EPL1.

Doesn't the EPM1 have the same sensor as the GF3? The auto focus on it is hella fast though. No complaints.

Also something about the colours make it seem nicer than the C3. Dunno what.

I misunderstood: yeah, the E-PM1 is very similar to the GF3 then in almost all aspects- size, sensor, AF speed. The only advantage the GF3 has is that you can hack it for higher bitrate video.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? Olympus is known for having incredibly good JPEGs with great color.

Yeah i was between the 20mm and the 14mm but we are off to japan in a few months so i want to save some cash to see what i can pick up over there

14mm is more useful for playing tourist than the 20mm. And while a bigger aperture is preferable, in broad daylight, you often need to stop it down and/or use some kind of filter on the lens. It would help if those micro 4/3 cameras had lower ISOs (like ISO 50) but unfortunately this is not the case.

Depending on your m4/3 camera, you can also use the digital teleconverter option to recrop the 14mm lens into something narrower (28mm equivalent). I find that little feature rather useful.

kr2t0s

My camera-quest is now complete. I ended up selling my Fuji X100 and got a Panasonic GX1 with the older kit lens. Today I got the PL 25mm 1.4.

Why'd you go from the x100 to the gx1? Just curious.

I picked up a GX1 with a 20mm and love it. As silly as this sounds - thinking about selling my T3i with 50 1.4

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
too funny that these were posted right together. I having used an e510, e30, e5, ep2 and epl1 all in RAW, I definitely believe its the white balance.

Haha, yeah, missed that the first time I posted. Makes sense.

Are you shooting in RAW or JPEG? Olympus is known for having incredibly good JPEGs with great color.

Shooting in JPEG atm. When I move on to learning post-processing more in-depth I'll go RAW but for now jpeg is fine.

Danoss

Someone just posted this up another board. I haven't been watching Veep but this exchange was pretty great. Two of the characters on the show talking about the cameras they use. They obviously own the bodies they own for different reasons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJqHPHLExo

Veep is terrible, but that was great. A great mockery of people who buy camera gear because it's "the best" whether they actually need it, or whether it's appropriate for the work they do, or not.

Danoss

This was posted on tested and I thought people here might be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DneujRTXwic#!

Heard about that place a little while ago. If I was near San Francisco I would totally go there. About $60 for a quarter-plate portrait from that place.

The more I look at wet plate photography like tintypes and ambrotypes, the more I want to get into doing it. It's a lot more hands-on and rewarding. The bonus is that the large format cameras and lenses aren't too costly and you can still buy film for it and get incredible images.

Much respect to those who made these back on the day, since they had to take their darkroom with them wherever they went.

Sony RX100

• 13.2X8.8Mm Exmor CMOS sensor type 1.0 effective number of pixels 20.2 million pixels
  • Monitors – LCD (4:3), 3.0-inch, 1,229,000 dots
  • Lens Vario-Sonnar T * is
  • The focal length is 30-108mm (4:3) equivalent 35mm, 29mm-105mm (16:9)
  • The brightness of the lens is F1.8-4.9
  • Minimum focusing distance is 5cm, wide-tele 55cm at the end
  • The standard number of shots (conforming to CIPA) 330 sheets / min – 165
  • 30-valve second shutter speed is 1/2000 in the manual
  • ISO sensitivity (100 and 80 in the expansion), NR ISO125-6400 by Auto: Auto ISO125-25600 in the
  • Second continuous shooting is 10 frames / second 2.5 frames / continuous shooting in priority mode in normal mode -
  • Still images JPEG, RAW
  • 1920×1080 60p AVCHD video 28M
  • Size 58.1X101.6X35.9Mm
  • The weight (including battery and Memory Stick Duo) 240 g

Danoss

Help me decide between a Fuji X10 and a Canon G12 as a second camera! I have an Canon 40D as my DSLR if that sways it.

What made you narrow your choices down to those two cameras? If you have a DSLR, I would think the best second camera to have would be something pocketable, of which these cameras certainly aren't; at least that's what I did.

Tonza

Why'd you go from the x100 to the gx1? Just curious.

Because of the autofocus speed and the limits of the 35mm lens. (and I had to use jpegs because saving raws took seconds, not a huge deal for me though)

GX1 with PL 25mm feels blazingly fast to focus compared to the X100.

Help me decide between a Fuji X10 and a Canon G12 as a second camera! I have an Canon 40D as my DSLR if that sways it.

Im guessing just like me you went for those cameras instead of a pocket camera like the S100 because you crave the image quality.

I ended up getting a X100, on one hand the image quality is nice and also the looks of it really helps taking pictures in public without anyone noticing you there. On the other hand I miss my Canon P&S because they are freaking tanks and I would just take it out anywhere without fear of theft or accidents.

If I had the choice again I would still get the Fuji, they are beautiful and they produce awesome JPG, its exactly what I want from a non-dslr camera.

A plus with the G12, is that you can use any flashes that you own for the 40D, then again, using a Flash in a camera like this looks a bit silly.

YN565EX%252520with%252520G12%252520and%252520580EX%252520gb111027%252520-%252520011%252520%252528web%252529%25255B3%25255D.jpg

Because of the autofocus speed and the limits of the 35mm lens. (and I had to use jpegs because saving raws took seconds)

GX1 with PL 25mm feels blazingly fast to focus compared to the X100.

Can you post a picture of the camera with this lens, how bulky is it?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
gx1-2.jpg

It's not small.

6a00df351e888f8834015436b1c330970c-800wi

The 20mm on the other hand, which is also a great lens and is kinda around that focal length, is alot small.

Zyzyxxz

Is the compact market still healthy though? I would think mirrorless and smartphones are leeching the sales away.

We still haven't seen a pancake small enough to fit inside our pockets comfortably and there is a perception that changing lenses is considered "pro" to the regular consumer too.

In fact compact sales keep growing so I think it is healthy enough. Also this is targeted as a side and backup camera to a DSLR like the Canon G1X, G12, S100, Fuji LX10 etc.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I thought the sensor was going to be bigger than that... but at that price it makes the Fuji X10 not worth the money since its only $50 more.

*edit* actually for a compact that sensor is a decent size and when I saw the hand comparison it really is quite small! Finally a good competitor to the Canon S100 line.

Except the X10 has a much faster lens across the focal length. Also has an optical viewfinder.

Is the compact market still healthy though? I would think mirrorless and smartphones are leeching the sales away.

In decline, but still there. The enthusiast market (the same market Sony is trying to attract with that new camera), a sub category of the compact market, has had a resurgence in the last few years.

Some people are still intimidated by interchangeable lens systems and/or would prefer a smaller alternative to the smallest mirrorless cameras (with lenses) out there without compromizing performance/IQ too much.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Man, haven't been back in my old thread for a while.

Just kind of random question, but my camera is the Fujifilm F31fd-- is it still considered the best compact digicam for low-light/high-ISO shooting? I followed the release of a few of Fuji's subsequent pocket cams after the F31 but afaik the consensus seemed to be that they weren't quite as good for low-light photography. Anything worth replacing the F31 with now?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
EF as in Full Frame? I'd say that'd be pretty sweet even with its speed. Although it needs a small FF body to accompany it. You hear me Canon!

I just spent a 4-day vacation shooting like crazy with a used-from-eBay NEX-3 and my Voigtlander 35 1.4 that I'd been using for film. I am totally gobsmacked by how good the results are for what I do, and I'm pretty much done with DSLRs and film. It's been a good lesson in what I thought I needed vs. what I actually need.

From yesterday (post-processed):

So, I'm sure it's been asked but figured maybe someone could help anyways. I just got back from a 4 day trip to Rome. I shot about 2000 pics on my T3. I didn't switch up lenses at all and stuck with a thrift store find Canon EF 28-80mm II. (I have the 50mm Canon 2.5 that I mostly use for product shots).

The 28-80mm did the job pretty well and I got some stellar pics, but I definitely realized that I needed a better lens as the lowlight stuff (Coliseum at night) was maddening when using the AF. After some research upon returning, I first was leaning towards the EF-S 17-85mm but saw that there were general QC issues with the AF. I then started to look at some of the wider range of focal lenses in the canon line-up and also wandered into the idea of buying a Tamron maybe as those lenses seem to be well regarded.

Basically I'm looking for a good all-purpose lens with a better build quality and feature set than the 28-80mm I currently have. I'd like to get something for $600 or lower and am not opposed to second-hand. Basically just seeing what you guys think. I'm new to this and constantly learning so go easy on me. Thanks

Lumix

So, I'm sure it's been asked but figured maybe someone could help anyways. I just got back from a 4 day trip to Rome. I shot about 2000 pics on my T3. I didn't switch up lenses at all and stuck with a thrift store find Canon EF 28-80mm II. (I have the 50mm Canon 2.5 that I mostly use for product shots).

The 28-80mm did the job pretty well and I got some stellar pics, but I definitely realized that I needed a better lens as the lowlight stuff (Coliseum at night) was maddening when using the AF. After some research upon returning, I first was leaning towards the EF-S 17-85mm but saw that there were general QC issues with the AF. I then started to look at some of the wider range of focal lenses in the canon line-up and also wandered into the idea of buying a Tamron maybe as those lenses seem to be well regarded.

Basically I'm looking for a good all-purpose lens with a better build quality and feature set than the 28-80mm I currently have. I'd like to get something for $600 or lower and am not opposed to second-hand. Basically just seeing what you guys think. I'm new to this and constantly learning so go easy on me. Thanks

Since you mentioned your frustrating AF situation with lowlight situtations, I would have to go with Danoss' repeated recommendation of the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non VC).

I would also recommend the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, but it's not as good in dim light, and fluctuates a little bit above your price range.

Flo_Evans

You are not going to like this...

For low light AF performance you NEED a faster lens, but you also need a better AF sensor in the body.

FStop7

Banned
If you're in low light and you're shooting still subjects like the interior of a building then you should be focusing manually.

Since you mentioned your frustrating AF situation with lowlight situtations, I would have to go with Danoss' repeated recommendation of the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (non VC).

I would also recommend the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, but it's not as good in dim light, and fluctuates a little bit above your price range.

Thanks, I'll look into the Tamron.

You are not going to like this...

For low light AF performance you NEED a faster lens, but you also need a better AF sensor in the body.

A body right now isn't an option, maybe in a year or so. A lens is the best bet for right now. I'm digging it as a hobby and may step up eventually so going fast and hard with the equipment is something I'd like to avoid for now. After shooting so much though, I definitely see the rabbit hole that is equipment and it does look mighty tempting.

If you're in low light and you're shooting still subjects like the interior of a building then you should be focusing manually.
I was mostly doing it manually but was also experimenting to see what worked for me so that was something I noticed with the lens I was using.

Pepto

Banned
Man, haven't been back in my old thread for a while.

Just kind of random question, but my camera is the Fujifilm F31fd-- is it still considered the best compact digicam for low-light/high-ISO shooting? I followed the release of a few of Fuji's subsequent pocket cams after the F31 but afaik the consensus seemed to be that they weren't quite as good for low-light photography. Anything worth replacing the F31 with now?

The F31fd is not that good by todays standards. It can barely do ISO 1600 when modern cameras go up to 12800.

Flo_Evans

Thanks, I'll look into the Tamron.

A body right now isn't an option, maybe in a year or so. A lens is the best bet for right now. I'm digging it as a hobby and may step up eventually so going fast and hard with the equipment is something I'd like to avoid for now. After shooting so much though, I definitely see the rabbit hole that is equipment and it does look mighty tempting.

I was mostly doing it manually but was also experimenting to see what worked for me so that was something I noticed with the lens I was using.

I would go for a prime then, a wide aperture zoom (like ef-s 17-55 2.8) is going to be up there in $1000 range.

Futureman

how do I clean my 5D II sensor? It's pretty dirty. Can you just send it in to Canon and they'll do it? I did buy mine about 2.5 years ago though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom