• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best deal on the 5D2 yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EOS-5D-Mk2-...forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_11402wt_1186

http://slickdeals.net/f/5287052-Can...ens-2199-99-AR-Free-Shipping-eBay-Daily-Deal?

2600 - ($400 rebate) - (sell lens for $800) - (sell printer for $100) = $1300. Hell of a price for a brand new full frame.

oh shit giga.
im tempted.
im practically biting my lip this very second.
i dont know if i should go for this or a CL ad i saw with the 24-105mm lens for $1500

tino

Banned
Best deal on the 5D2 yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EOS-5D-Mk2-...forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_11402wt_1186

http://slickdeals.net/f/5287052-Can...ens-2199-99-AR-Free-Shipping-eBay-Daily-Deal?

2600 - ($400 rebate) - (sell lens for $800) - (sell printer for $100) = $1300. Hell of a price for a brand new full frame.

Thats a great deal. You held out for the right deal. If I didn't have placed a preorder on the Fuji, I probably would have gone for it. Although you have to jump through alot of loops to get part of the money back.

Seriously 5D2 is so famous its the only camera that's "pre approvaed" by my wife.

So, just because I'm an idiot who doesn't really know what to look out for in specifications :p...

What do I need to look for to know if my camera/flash combo can do wireless triggering?

Thinking of the FL600R

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842939-REG/Olympus_V3261300U000_FL_600R_Wireless_Flash.html

for my EPM1.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/808142-REG/Olympus_V206011BU000_E_PM1_Digital_Camera_with.html

You'll need to mount the tiny accessory flash that should have come with your EPM1 as a trigger for the off-camera FL600R. All you have to do beyond that is to make sure you turn on the RC flash control inside one of the camera menus.

Salaadin

Im going to NYCC in a week and am looking into possible getting a new point and shoot to take photos of the convention. Id love to get a DSLR but I just cant afford it (and I dont take photos all too often) and my phone camera isnt all that great so Im going to have to settle for a compact point and shoot.
Ill shop around myself but I was wondering who makes the best point and shoot cameras these days? My budget is ~$200.00 but Id be willing to squeeze in a little more if I have to.

My current camera is a 4 year old Sony Cybershot. The screen the messed up, its slow as shit, and its pretty limited in terms of features and modes so I bet that any 2012 camera would be an upgrade...Im just not sure where to start.

Im going to NYCC in a week and am looking into possible getting a new point and shoot to take photos of the convention. Id love to get a DSLR but I just cant afford it (and I dont take photos all too often) and my phone camera isnt all that great so Im going to have to settle for a compact point and shoot.
Ill shop around myself but I was wondering who makes the best point and shoot cameras these days? My budget is ~$200.00 but Id be willing to squeeze in a little more if I have to.

My current camera is a 4 year old Sony Cybershot. The screen the messed up, its slow as shit, and its pretty limited in terms of features and modes so I bet that any 2012 camera would be an upgrade...Im just not sure where to start.

At that price point in current compacts, almost anything you can get will be about the same. Just buy whatever's newest from Canon.

However, a little more will get you an older micro four thirds camera, like the E-PL1 with a zoom, that will do better than any compact. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LBRJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hi guys,

I'm selling off some of my stuff to get monies for gear. I'm pretty reasonable to deal with and have lots of feedback in the BST thread. Just thought I'd throw this up here to see if there is any interest before I try to sell elsewhere. Prices are shipped in the US - I'm willing to ship elsewhere but pricing will be higher. Everything is in like-new condition except for the Sigma 30, which I had to replace the screw on lens cap for, so it's not the original one.

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS (EF-S Mount) - $500
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC (EF-S Mount) - $400
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM - $365
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 - $150
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro - $340
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3

Canon 60D (Body Only) - $765
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3, Pic 4

Salaadin

At that price point in current compacts, almost anything you can get will be about the same. Just buy whatever's newest from Canon.

However, a little more will get you an older micro four thirds camera, like the E-PL1 with a zoom, that will do better than any compact. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035LBRJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hmmm, thats actually not that bad. Reviews seem to indicate that its easy to carry around too which is a nice plus for me. Thanks for the link.

TxdoHawk

Grabbed a used NEX-C3 with the kit zoom lens for $275 off Ebay. Really wanted a 5N instead...but that price was too good to pass up.

tino

Banned
Grabbed a used NEX-C3 with the kit zoom lens for $275 off Ebay. Really wanted a 5N instead...but that price was too good to pass up.

Good deal. That NYCC guy should do what you do, get a used NEX-3, NX100 or a EPL1 camera with a kit lens.

Aurongel

Okay, so I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Rebel T3i / 600D, but I'm having second thoughts about the legitimacy of the seller that I posted a link to earlier.

According to their website, they're offering a new T3i kit (with single 18-mm IS kit lens) and a free tripod for $579.00.

Checking some reviews of the seller online it looks like they have a slightly spotty record and their price for a new bundle seems surprisingly low compared to the competition on Amazon. I wanted to get GAF's opinion of this, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Seller link: http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?products_id=20183&osCsid=bb7cc2bc7627789a3799c4c553a7d4b2

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Okay, so I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Rebel T3i / 600D, but I'm having second thoughts about the legitimacy of the seller that I posted a link to earlier.

According to their website, they're offering a new T3i kit (with single 18-mm IS kit lens) and a free tripod for $579.00.

Checking some reviews of the seller online it looks like they have a slightly spotty record and their price for a new bundle seems surprisingly low compared to the competition on Amazon. I wanted to get GAF's opinion of this, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Seller link: http://www.primotronix.com/tron/product_info.php?products_id=20183&osCsid=bb7cc2bc7627789a3799c4c553a7d4b2
Lots of people seem to be getting some kind of battery scam. Other reviews state they are selling grey imports which means you'll have no warranty. Others state they never deliver, and instead keep calling your phone number to try and 'upgrade' you before delivering anything.

This review seems to indicate they are trying to bribe people with stuff for positive reviews. LOL
"Cheaters!!! They give an extra item in order to have a lot of good reviews – I also received the offer; however, I prefer to tell the truth rather than get a “gift” from them. It is a reason why they have many good reviews..
I have purchased Nikon D5100 camera (body only). It arrived with a broken box. Moreover, they sell the camera with some weak battery, so, in order to get regular battery like is by default in Nikons, Mr. Charles told me to pay extra. In description of the camera it was not information about it. When I contacted them to clarify it, I have been offer an 8GB SD card to write a good review (they knew about the scam with battery!!). I declined as you can see. Anyway, it is better to pay $10 - $15 extra and do not cooperate with Primotronix!!!"

Spend the bit extra and get it from a reputable place would be my advice.

negitoro7

Put my deposit down on a Panasonic GH3 yesterday! Now to look for a bag while waiting for it to be released (and save up for the 7-14mm lens).

Checked out the Domke F-803 today, the lack of padding is criminal for a "camera bag". A shame since I like the waxwear brown version of it.

I'll likely get a Think Tank Retrospective 5 and toss the whole thing into my backpack for days when I want to bring along with my laptop too (the Retrospective 7 is too big for Micro 4/3 systems IMO).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You'll need to mount the tiny accessory flash that should have come with your EPM1 as a trigger for the off-camera FL600R. All you have to do beyond that is to make sure you turn on the RC flash control inside one of the camera menus.

Does the accessory flash trigger though? Or is it purely just used to send signals to the speed light?

mclaren777

An interesting perspective on Nikon's new bodies...

Nikon's 2012 FX trio of D600, D800 and D4 obviously were all designed and manufactured at the same time with the same innards, and merely announced in descending cost order at different times to try to hide the simple fact that they're the same camera inside.

iI46x457NT4vV.png

So there we have it all blown-open: all of Nikon's current FX cameras are essentially the same thing, put in different bodies. If all you want are fantastic pictures, the D600 does the same thing as the D4 and D800 and D800E, for less money, with less weight and with less aggravation.

Source

He said the same thing about the D40.

Put my deposit down on a Panasonic GH3 yesterday! Now to look for a bag while waiting for it to be released (and save up for the 7-14mm lens).

Checked out the Domke F-803 today, the lack of padding is criminal for a "camera bag". A shame since I like the waxwear brown version of it.

I'll likely get a Think Tank Retrospective 5 and toss the whole thing into my backpack for days when I want to bring along with my laptop too (the Retrospective 7 is too big for Micro 4/3 systems IMO).

The idea with the Domke bags is that the center divider keeps things from banging into each other (which is most important), and you can store a lens or two inside the center part, which has bottom padding. Bodies tend not to need as much padding (unless you've got a delicate rangefinder). That way, only what needs to be protected is padded and the bag wraps around your body better.

I've had a J-803 for five years and it's pretty much the best bag ever. It will swallow up any gear you need to put in it, unless you carry multiple 2.8 zooms.

Plus, it doesn't look dorky like most makes of camera bags do.

I have that bag and the Domke - FA-230 Insert. It fits my OM-D, my new 75mm or 12-35mm lens, hoods for both lenses, and the FL-300 flash quite snugly. The larger GH3 body might not fit so easily.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Bought this lens and hood (not my picture)...

CLHoy.jpg

...for $110 together. The Nikon 105mm f/2.5 Ai. Also the adapter to adapt it to my Sony. This is one of the lenses I originally owned but got stolen. Also, allegedly that same lens was used to shoot this famous photo...

JTSM8.jpg

...of course its not just the equipment but the potential is there. Got this lens to take some portraiture for my cousins senior pics.

The lens is nice and sharp but, more importantly, it holds contrast very well. Much better than my 135/3.5 Super Takumar. It glows a bit wide open but this looks fantastic for portraits. Just stopping it down to f/2.8 clears its up and it goes to being very sharp. Highly recommend this lens for any Nikon shooters that want to dip their toes in manual focusing or users who are interested in adapting.

Jeffahn

OK, like 7 years ago GAF advised me to buy my A510 Canon Powershot. I've done plenty with it and have held off on upgrading. But now I'm looking for a replacement. I looked at some 'tough' cameras, but I think I'll leave that for next year. So what would the suggested modern replacement for my A510? I'm guessing either a Canon, Nikon...or Samsung?

Fake edit: A few bits fell off my A510, the sound effects won't turn off, the lens door things sometimes jam when it's cold & it asks me to set the date every time I turn it on. If I don't, then it dates the pictures as taken in 1980.

Pix:

IMG_6512.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

tino

Banned
BlueTsumani didn't you own a lens in the similar range. Am I imaging things? I remember you post a photo of a kid and I commented the color was on the cool side.

You are not interested in something smaller, like a Contax G90? If its up to you bwtween the Nikon 105/2.5, or a Samyang 85/1.4, which one would you pick?

BlueTsunami

BlueTsumani didn't you own a lens in the similar range. Am I imaging things? I remember you post a photo of a kid and I comment the color is on the cool side.

You are not interested in something smaller, like a Contax G90? If its up to you bwtween the Nikon 105/2.5, or a Samyang 85/1.4, which would you pick?

Yeah, owned the exact same lens but was stolen. I was thinking about the G90 which is supposed to be real good but I'm unsure about the focusing action since the Contax G lenses are screw driven. The adapter is said to have a bit of a harsh focusing action although its better than most AF focus rings. I will be getting a Contax G28 though at some point but that will take some saving up for (goes for $400 and the Metabones adapter is $150). It performs very similar to the Zeiss ZM 28/2.8 Biogon which is one of my dream lenses. The Samyang was considered but I want to fill that hole with a Contax Zeiss 85/1.4.

tino

Banned
Yeah, owned the exact same lens but was stolen. I was thinking about the G90 which is supposed to be real good but I'm unsure about the focusing action since the Contax G lenses are screw driven. The adapter is said to have a bit of a harsh focusing action although its better than most AF focus rings. I will be getting a Contax G28 though at some point but that will take some saving up for (goes for $400 and the Metabones adapter is $150). It performs very similar to the Zeiss ZM 28/2.8 Biogon which is one of my dream lenses. The Samyang was considered but I want to fill that hole with a Contax Zeiss 85/1.4.

Yeah I thought so. $400 is probably a bit overrated for the G28. But the manual shooters love the compact G2 lenses. I guess 85mm is alot more important to you than other focal length. It should work fine on a FF NEX body if and when Sony decide to make it.

Oh last time you got the first 105/2, I was still trying to get the optical flash trigger work on the NEX3, what a pain in the ass. Now the enterprising Chinese has made a NEX flash to hotshoe adapter. I may get one eventually.

Also some Chinese is testing a NEX to Canon EF adapter with working apterture and AF control. I heard half of the lens work.

Ok, I just made a trade for a NEX7.

This is what I need to mount any ol' standard flash (or flash trigger) on it, right? I don't care about TTL - I have manual flashes anyway.

Oh - also, does anyone have any experience with the famed Vivitar S1 90mm macro? I'm trying to decide on a classic macro lens to go with the system.

TxdoHawk

Hey guys, what should I look at if I want to get into cheap vintage primes for my NEX-C3? Ideally something where I can grab the needed adapter and the lens for $100 total or less. (If there's something that will absolutely knock my socks off for a bit more, I'll listen anyway.) I am interested in shooting portraits and random small-ish objects/figurines.

BlueTsunami

Hey guys, what should I look at if I want to get into cheap vintage primes for my NEX-C3? Ideally something where I can grab the needed adapter and the lens for $100 total or less. (If there's something that will absolutely knock my socks off for a bit more, I'll listen anyway.)

Depends on the focal length you're interested in. Pentax (Screwmount) Takumars will be within that range. There are cheap Canon FD lenses and even some Nikon Ai lenses can go for that much. You can definitely get a 50mm lens for that amount. Minolta lenses can be had very cheap too (like my 28mm f/2.8 Rokkor-X which I got for $35, gives a nice normal Angle of View). Check out www.keh.com and browse a bit. They've got a very large selection.

TxdoHawk

Depends on the focal length you're interested in. Pentax (Screwmount) Takumars will be within that range. There are cheap Canon FD lenses and even some Nikon Ai lenses can go for that much. You can definitely get a 50mm lens for that amount. Minolta lenses can be had very cheap too (like my 28mm f/2.8 Rokkor-X which I got for $35, gives a nice normal Angle of View). Check out www.keh.com and browse a bit. They've got a very large selection.

Great, thanks so much. Any specific picks for a 50mm? I had a Nifty Fifty back when I had a T3, so I'm somewhat used to working at that length, maybe that would be best to start with.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So me and Devo just got a T3i (with kit lens) for 570 at some store that was going out of business.

Kind of want to get the new 40mm 2.8 canon prime lens for $200, but a little afraid it might be too telephoto on an APS-C to make a good walk around/video lens. What do you guys think?

Damaged

So me and Devo just got a T3i (with kit lens) for 570 at some store that was going out of business.

Kind of want to get the new 40mm 2.8 canon prime lens for $200, but a little afraid it might be too telephoto on an APS-C to make a good walk around/video lens. What do you guys think?

Personally i use a 35mm as my main lens but I cant see 40mm being a problem

Walk around with the kit lens set to 40mm and see how you like it.

This is a good shout

Radec

…that doesn't matter when he's going to use it on an aps-c body. 40mm on the kit will be 40mm on the pancake.

it does matter since the 40mm has a full-frame image circle and the kitlens doesn't.

You won't be getting the 40mm FoV when you use it on a T3i.

it does matter since the 40mm has a full-frame image circle and the kitlens doesn't.

Canon lists the absolute focal lengths on all of its lenses. The 18-55mm kit lens @ 40mm is the same FOV as the 40mm lens on the same camera.

Indeed, the 40mm lens supports full-frame sensors and the kit lens doesn't, but that's irrelevant since their camera isn't full-frame.

giga

No it doesn't. EF-S lenses list the 35mm equivalent focal length, not the effective focal length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom