• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
X100S digital split image: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk4NTU5MDg4.html

This is genuinely revolutionary.

Product video showing the back of the camera: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk4ODI4NjQw.html

X20 product video: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk4NTYwMzQw.html

I believe the digital split image is going to be so much more precise than peaking when looking at the whole frame. I've noticed the exact focus placement is hard to judge when looking at the whole frame with peaking so I'm always magnifying (which I don't mind). The split image should be way more dramatic. That aside, I'm enamored with the serious software additions to the X100S, its going to be a damn beast.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Worth Buying? Or should i just save up for the Mark 3? Don't own any expensive Canon lenses, so I'm also considering the Nikon D600. Any advice? I shoot portraits and Landscapes mainly.

You don't need a 5DMK3 for portraits and landscapes. You won't use the improved focus system too much. I shoot studio and ocassionally landscapes and went with a 5DMKII. I have never been in a situation where the focus system didn't work just fine.

Use the extra money on a nice lens.

Ember128

It's good that they've improved the autofocus on the X100s because the X100 had a garbage autofocus system. It made the 5DMKII look good.

gcubed

im interested in getting into photography as purely a hobby and plan to take a few courses that are often available in my area. What is a good DSLR for a beginner that can grow with me?

Menelaus

Banned
im interested in getting into photography as purely a hobby and plan to take a few courses that are often available in my area. What is a good DSLR for a beginner that can grow with me?

One that fits your hands. As a person with large hands, I can't say this enough. Most DSLRs these days all have the basic features you'll need, but not all are comfy for extended durations.

Are you interested in video?

gcubed

One that fits your hands. As a person with large hands, I can't say this enough. Most DSLRs these days all have the basic features you'll need, but not all are comfy for extended durations.

Are you interested in video?

I'm a giant. No real interest in video. So go to a good camera store and try then out? Any to stay away from?

I purchased my 600D a few months ago and recently got the much loved 50mm f1.8 and that lens alone has enabled me to shoot photos indoors like I was never able to before. If you're doing a lot of shooting indoors or in an area with low light, a lens with a nice wide aperture like that might be a solid option. Also, it's $100 so it's a solid cheap option for indoor work.
Got it recently too actually =) But wasn't able to take it with me because it didn't fit in my bag and I didn't want to lug it around seperately. Chose to take the kit lens because of the wider angle for fireworks and because I was going to take groupshots. In hindsight even the groupshots could have worked with the 50mm though =( Thought it would be too cramped. Always next year.

I believe the digital split image is going to be so much more precise than peaking when looking at the whole frame. I've noticed the exact focus placement is hard to judge when looking at the whole frame with peaking so I'm always magnifying (which I don't mind). The split image should be way more dramatic. That aside, I'm enamored with the serious software additions to the X100S, its going to be a damn beast.

It's going to be useful... for cameras in the X lineup. Not for the x100. I would love that feature in a camera that uses my old manual lenses, especially the longer ones. There's no point in having that feature for a 23mm lens which also has autofocus.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm a giant. No real interest in video. So go to a good camera store and try then out? Any to stay away from?

I was always a Canon man, but moving up to their larger bodies will cost you. Depending on your budget, a used 5D classic (mark i) would be your best bet for a large body, and since it doesn't do video, you're not paying for that feature. You might find that a 60D would fit your hands as well, but since you can get a 5D for the same cost, I'd go with the full frame sensor of the 5D every time.

If you want to go new, maybe take a look at Nikon, as their ergonomics have always been top notch on their smaller bodies.

I find the Oly E-M5 to be a bit too small for me, but I needed the portability + video for chasing a kiddo around.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Got it recently too actually =) But wasn't able to take it with me because it didn't fit in my bag and I didn't want to lug it around seperately. Chose to take the kit lens because of the wider angle for fireworks and because I was going to take groupshots. In hindsight even the groupshots could have worked with the 50mm though =( Thought it would be too cramped. Always next year.

The 50mm is a great lens (any model), but on a crop sensor is not suitable for group shots.

what's the equivalent range on that 23mm lens? i wonder why they went with such an odd length.

35mm in 35mm equivalent. It's a very popular prime focal length for reportage and street-style photography, and it was the standard focal length for fixed-focal-length compact film cameras for years.

If I have one lens for my camera, I want it to be 35mm equivalent.

Parallacs

I'm going to tell anyone who will listen: If you are interested in the X100 and can afford it, you will love it.

Yeah, I will put some serious thought into the X100s. I still can't believe Fuji, of all companies, pulled it off.

I mainly use a 5D mark II but lugging that around gets tiring, especially if I'm just shooting for fun.

I also wouldn't mind it in black but I can probably guess it will be a few hundred more.

Hmm, will the x100s have autofocus or manual focus during video by chance? I've got a Canon S95 and I wished I could adjust the focus while taking videos. I can't tell you how many 1 or 2 second videos ("shit, the focus is off, I can't see anything") I took on my family trip to Vietnam.

tino

Banned
That's focus peaking, and that's doable with just CDAF. It's just onscreen contrast detection, except it leaves the focusing decision up to the user.

If Fuji is smart, they'll put peaking into their other CDAF cameras.

They could do that and take out the EVF and make a water downed version of XE1 to compete with NEX6 directly.

RuGalz

Doing it optically is old; doing it digitally is new. A lot of people have been waiting a long time to manually focus this way using a digital display.

I'm surprised that it's taking this long for it to happen. It's almost a no brainier in digital world. I mean, heck, my camera does the zoom in thing when in live view already it just doesn't have the UI/Control in place to wrap it up.

(._.)

Banned
Ok so after doing some more research would you guys agree that the nikon d5100 is a reasonably priced DSLR for a somebody just getting into photography? there are a bunch on craigslist that look to be in good shape and cheap.

tino

Banned
I'm surprised that it's taking this long for it to happen. It's almost a no brainier in digital world. I mean, heck, my camera does the zoom in thing when in live view already it just doesn't have the UI/Control in place to wrap it up.

Presenting it visually is the easy part, detecting how far you are off focus is the hard part.

So, I hit up some thrift stores today and stumbled across a Tokina 80-200mm SD AT-X (non pro version) for Nikon mount. I wanted to maybe get a converter to eos for it but was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? It's a 2.8 which is nice on such a long lens.

Zyzyxxz

So how bad is the autofocus on the original X100? I'd really like to pick one up for cheap if I can help it but I don't do "action" shots in general I'm mostly still life and food photography.

Is it bad in daylight even for fast motion?

Ok so after doing some more research would you guys agree that the nikon d5100 is a reasonably priced DSLR for a somebody just getting into photography? there are a bunch on craigslist that look to be in good shape and cheap.

It is. Maybe try and find a used 35mm 1.8 DX lens, and that's basically all you need.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Hmm, will the x100s have autofocus or manual focus during video by chance? I've got a Canon S95 and I wished I could adjust the focus while taking videos. I can't tell you how many 1 or 2 second videos ("shit, the focus is off, I can't see anything") I took on my family trip to Vietnam.

I believe that was added.

So how bad is the autofocus on the original X100? I'd really like to pick one up for cheap if I can help it but I don't do "action" shots in general I'm mostly still life and food photography.

For what you described, it would be just fine. I get plenty of usable kid shots with it. You do need to set expectations that it is not an SLR though.

gcubed

I was always a Canon man, but moving up to their larger bodies will cost you. Depending on your budget, a used 5D classic (mark i) would be your best bet for a large body, and since it doesn't do video, you're not paying for that feature. You might find that a 60D would fit your hands as well, but since you can get a 5D for the same cost, I'd go with the full frame sensor of the 5D every time.

If you want to go new, maybe take a look at Nikon, as their ergonomics have always been top notch on their smaller bodies.

I find the Oly E-M5 to be a bit too small for me, but I needed the portability + video for chasing a kiddo around.

i was talking to a friend who does photography for a living and he has an older 5D MarkI that he is going to let me borrow. I've gotten multiple recommendations on the same camera. Thanks!

tino

Banned
So Sigma announce a 50/2.8 version of DP3, which is a fixed lense 75mm equivalent camera.

Can't they at least make it 85mm equivalent? I wonder if it will outsell the Black-and-White only Leica M9?

IllumiNate

Should get my D600 tomorrow in the mail and today I picked up a Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 G ED since Canada still has there boxing day deals on (ending tomorrow) I got it for $1499.
Is it me or are prices a lot cheaper for lenses here in Canada then the U.S?

So Sigma announce a 50/2.8 version of DP3, which is a fixed lense 75mm equivalent camera.

Can't they at least make it 85mm equivalent? I wonder if it will outsell the Black-and-White only Leica M9?

I do not understand the market for the DP series. The only fans on forums seem to be landscape photographers and those absolutely obsessed with image quality. They're the only people who can make excuses for the dreadful AF, slow shot-to-shot times, poor high ISO, and tiny battery life. It's bad at everything except tonality.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

75mm is such an odd focal length for something with a fixed lens.

Should be fine with what you are describing, I only struggle with mine when my 2 year old is running around, but heck, I have troubles focusing the little one even with a Canon 7D.

BTW PM an offer and I might sell you my X100 :), maybe the X100s will focus correctly on my child lol.

tino

Banned
I do not understand the market for the DP series. The only fans on forums seem to be landscape photographers and those absolutely obsessed with image quality. They're the only people who can make excuses for the dreadful AF, slow shot-to-shot times, poor high ISO, and tiny battery life. It's bad at everything except tonality.

They also drop the price to 250 before discontinued... it make a lot more sense at $250.

I still won't buy the 75mm version though lol.

Where does The Official Camera Equipment Megathread GAF get their camera and lens repairs done? My brother has a D5000 and a 18-55mm VR setup that will no longer focus, and I'm not in a position where I can loan him one of my lenses to see what the problem is.

Parallacs

Where does The Official Camera Equipment Megathread GAF get their camera and lens repairs done? My brother has a D5000 and a 18-55mm VR setup that will no longer focus, and I'm not in a position where I can loan him one of my lenses to see what the problem is.

Is it under warranty? Have him take it to a Nikon repair center.

He should go to a camera store to test out his body on another lens. I hope it is the lens. Though he will be able to buy a new lens for less than a repair would probably cost. Lens repairs are crazy.

If he is on the west coast, Samy's lets you test out any of their lenses. They also send out cameras for repairs for you.

Menelaus

Banned
i was talking to a friend who does photography for a living and he has an older 5D MarkI that he is going to let me borrow. I've gotten multiple recommendations on the same camera. Thanks!

I miss it dearly. Be careful...once you start shooting with a full frame, you'll never want to go back to crop, EVER.

tino

Banned
So according to Nikonrumors/chipworks, the D5200 sensor is made by Toshiba (huh?). And the D3200 sensor is made by Nikon itself. I am pretty sure the first generation of Nikon 1 sensor (J1, V1) was made by Renesis. Donno about the 2nd gen. The 2nd gen actually got lower score in DxOmark than the 1st.

Nikon stop using Sony's sensors for real?

dmshaposv

I miss it dearly. Be careful...once you start shooting with a full frame, you'll never want to go back to crop, EVER.

Ever since i moved up to full frame three things happened:

- I love the 35mm/50mm focal lengths
- I cant believe how wide 24mm is on full frame. I honestly love the wideness and want to go even wider!
- f 2.8 is as wide ad i ever open. Sold of my 50mm f1.2 i bought for a short time to see how id like. Love the focal length but d.o.f is ridiculously shallow between 1.2 - 2.8 and i only get sharp results from 2.8 & onwards with that lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom