• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsguy

For those of you shooting DSLR video., I wanted to really praise the Manfrotto 561 monopod. I'm shooting for a combat sports website and I didn't have a budget for a high end slider or a Steadicam Merlin. I read alot about this monopod so I bought it cause we had a shoot on short notice. Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BmMTFaVoZE

Everything but the first interview was shot with the 561. I was really impressed with the moves I was able to simulate (with no prior experience using any kind of monopod) and it helped me be much more mobile than I usually am. All the footage is with a 5D MKII and Canon 50mm 1.4.

Damaged

Anybody used a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG II HSM Macro?

Got a Nikon fit one on the way as I'm supposed to be taking some pictures at a few race meetings next year. Saw a few reviews that were reasonably positive and it was pretty cheap for a fixed 2.8 telephoto so figured why not take a chance on it.

I know 200mm may be a bit short at some circuits even on an APS-C body, but if I get the x2.0 sigma tele convertor its a constant f5.6 and up to 400mm which should be way more than I need.

Okay, this arrived today and I wasn't quite expecting it to be this big. I know the D7000 isnt exactly a big body but I wasn't expecting it to look so dwarfed by the lens. Glad I have a good monopod to help take the weight of it.

Untitled-3_zpsf8f54466.png

Excuse the crappy phone camera shot

gcubed

When looking to buy a used 5D classic what should I be looking at to make sure I'm not buying something that needs more money in cleaning/repairs?

tino

Banned
There is no way to tell the shutter count for the 5D1.

I would find a one-owner body with the mirror already serviced by Canon.

gcubed

Thanks, there's a few available near me on craigslist but I'm skeptical going that route. I'm going to check a few local camera shops here to see if they have one

Ember128

The Canon 85mm F1.2L II is amazing, but I will most likely be going for Sigma's 85mm F1.4. That lens is smoking, and uses the new HSM Motors instead of the Stepping motor used by the Canon's 85mm.

Tomorrow is 5DMKIII pickup day. Going to take it for a spin going some longer exposures at night.

Heading to Disney and considering a wide-angle. The Tokina 11-16mm looks great due to the fast speed at 2.8. Can anyone elaborate on the difference between the DX I and II?

For those of you shooting DSLR video., I wanted to really praise the Manfrotto 561 monopod. I'm shooting for a combat sports website and I didn't have a budget for a high end slider or a Steadicam Merlin. I read alot about this monopod so I bought it cause we had a shoot on short notice. Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BmMTFaVoZE

Everything but the first interview was shot with the 561. I was really impressed with the moves I was able to simulate (with no prior experience using any kind of monopod) and it helped me be much more mobile than I usually am. All the footage is with a 5D MKII and Canon 50mm 1.4.

Wow, that picture is super sharp. What were the exposure settings for this?

Ember128

Heading to Disney and considering a wide-angle. The Tokina 11-16mm looks great due to the fast speed at 2.8. Can anyone elaborate on the difference between the DX I and II?
Added some more coatings to the lens, made added a focus sensor, made it focus with Nikon bodies below the D7000.

Ok, so I'm looking at a beginner dSLR and I had thought that I had settled on the Canon t4i since I'm not invested in a lens system, the Canon has gotten good reviews, and there are good prices to be found on it right now. Now that I know that the Nikon D5200 is going to be released soon (sometime this month), I'm starting to wonder if I should hold off on the Canon and get the Nikon (even though the Nikon is probably technically an advanced beginner camera). I have played with the t4i in stores and also a D5100 and I like the feel of both. I know that this is probably hard to answer since the D5200 hasn't hit the U.S. yet, but would it be worth waiting for the D5200 and paying a little more to get a camera that I would have more room to grow into? Are the t4i and D5200 basically comparable except for the slightly larger sensor in the Nikon? I realize that like a lot of things camera related that it might just come down to personal preference, but I was hoping that you guys could maybe give me some guidance. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I asked something that really isn't possible to answer.

Ok, so I'm looking at a beginner dSLR and I had thought that I had settled on the Canon t4i since I'm not invested in a lens system, the Canon has gotten good reviews, and there are good prices to be found on it right now. Now that I know that the Nikon D5200 is going to be released soon (sometime this month), I'm starting to wonder if I should hold off on the Canon and get the Nikon (even though the Nikon is probably technically an advanced beginner camera). I have played with the t4i in stores and also a D5100 and I like the feel of both. I know that this is probably hard to answer since the D5200 hasn't hit the U.S. yet, but would it be worth waiting for the D5200 and paying a little more to get a camera that I would have more room to grow into? Are the t4i and D5200 basically comparable except for the slightly larger sensor in the Nikon? I realize that like a lot of things camera related that it might just come down to personal preference, but I was hoping that you guys could maybe give me some guidance. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if I asked something that really isn't possible to answer.

The general agreement is that the Nikon and Canon difference really just boils down to what legacy lenses you may have access to and the ergonomics. Sorry if that doesn't help, but really there is no difference.

Iacobellis

The general agreement is that the Nikon and Canon difference really just boils down to what legacy lenses you may have access to and the ergonomics. Sorry if that doesn't help, but really there is no difference.

Unless he plans to do video in the future. Almost all Canons have an articulating LCD screen and more manual control for movies than Nikon.

Unless he plans to do video in the future. Almost all Canons have an articulating LCD screen and more manual control for movies than Nikon.

No, that actually is helpful. I don't have any lenses since either camera would be my first dSLR. Video is certainly a possiblity, but both the t4i and D5200 have articulating screens. I can basically get the Canon for $300 cheaper than the Nikon, which seems like a good deal, but I've read so many reviews and comparisons that my head is starting to spin. I figured I'd turn to you guys since everyone here seems very helpful.

Iacobellis

No, that actually is helpful. I don't have any lenses since either camera would be my first dSLR. Video is certainly a possiblity, but both the t4i and D5200 have articulating screens. I can basically get the Canon for $300 cheaper than the Nikon, which seems like a good deal, but I've read so many reviews and comparisons that my head is starting to spin. I figured I'd turn to you guys since everyone here seems very helpful.

I have a D3100 and used my friend's T4i the other day, and video recording performance was much better. The focusing is dead silent similar to a dedicated video camera. The touch screen made navigating a little easier, but I couldn't figure a way to change the aperture with buttons while using the viewfinder for taking pictures. On my Nikon, it's all the matter of turning the dial to change the shutter speed, or holding down a specified button and turning it to change the aperture and ISO.

Also, the 50mm 1.8, commonly referred to as a Nifty Fifty, is cheaper on the Canon side.

Nikon.
Canon.

I have a D3100 and used my friend's T4i the other day, and video recording performance was much better. The focusing is dead silent similar to a dedicated video camera. The touch screen made navigating a little easier, but I couldn't figure a way to change the aperture with buttons while using the viewfinder for taking pictures. On my Nikon, it's all the matter of turning the dial to change the shutter speed, or holding down a specified button and turning it to change the aperture and ISO.

Also, the 50mm 1.8, commonly referred to as a Nifty Fifty, is cheaper on the Canon side.

Nikon.
Canon.

My vote is t4i cuz I love it. As far as changing the aperture, its the dial behind the shutter button when in Manual. Very easy to use. Though, now I often shoot aperture priority due to using manual lenses so I never really fiddle with it anymore.

Nikon.
Canon.

My vote is t4i cuz I love it. As far as changing the aperture, its the dial behind the shutter button when in Manual. Very easy to use. Though, now I often shoot aperture priority due to using manual lenses so I never really fiddle with it anymore.

Again thank you for all the responses. You've all been quite helpful. Sounds like there isn't any reason that I shouldn't save the money and go with the Canon. I was just curious with the Nikon being the newest beginner dSLR out there if there was anything I'd be missing out on, but it doesn't sound like it.

Iacobellis

Again thank you for all the responses. You've all been quite helpful. Sounds like there isn't any reason that I shouldn't save the money and go with the Canon. I was just curious with the Nikon being the newest beginner dSLR out there if there was anything I'd be missing out on, but it doesn't sound like it.

You're very welcome. Might I ask how you are getting the T4i for so cheap?

You're very welcome. Might I ask how you are getting the T4i for so cheap?

Amazon has it with a kit lens for $649 right now, plus they have some promos with $100-$250 off of other lenses if you purchase them in the same order. I have some Amazon gift cards from Christmas that I am going to use. The Nikon with the kit lens is $900 as a pre-order do the Canon ends up being $250 cheaper right now.

Edit: I'm not sure it's surprising, but the t4i is the #1 selling dSLR on Amazon right now since it dropped to $649.

Edit 2: It's only the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens that they are discounting with the purchase of the camera. Normally $247, but you can get it for $97 after the discount.

Nice. You'll appreciate the Ease of Use that Canon offers as you grow with your camera.

That's good to hear. I was really torn between the Nikon and the Canon, but I didn't really read or hear a bad thing about the Canon, and the price difference between the 2 is fairly significant.

Iacobellis

That's good to hear. I was really torn between the Nikon and the Canon, but I didn't really read or hear a bad thing about the Canon, and the price difference between the 2 is fairly significant.

Next lens I would recommend would be a 35 or 50mm 1.8. Because the T4i has a smaller sensor than more professional DSLRs like the Nikon D600 or Canon 5D MK II, a crop factor of 1.6x comes into play. Basically, whatever zoom the lens is at is multiplied by 1.6. The 35 (56mm) is better for indoor shots and offers a slightly wider angle than the 50 (80mm). If all you are doing is stuff outdoors, then the 50mm might be a better choice. I think it is the preferred lens for portraits and the like. If you have a local camera shop, it wouldn't hurt to go there and try each lens.

(Of course, this is just my opinion! The 18-55 and 55-200 will be a good for a long time as you learn, but the f/1.8 on these lenses is what can really make your photos stand out. You get sharper photos, a shallower depth of field, faster AF, and better low-light performance.)

Next lens I would recommend would be a 35 or 50mm 1.8. Because the T4i has a smaller sensor than more professional DSLRs like the Nikon D600 or Canon 5D MK II, a crop factor of 1.6x comes into play. Basically, whatever zoom the lens is at is multiplied by 1.6. The 35 (56mm) is better for indoor shots and offers a slightly wider angle than the 50 (80mm). If all you are doing is stuff outdoors, then the 50mm might be a better choice. I think it is the preferred lens for portraits and the like. If you have a local camera shop, it wouldn't hurt to go there and try each lens.

Thanks. We do have a few really nice local camera shops around here so I can do that. I also plan on coming back here often for recommendations since I am pretty new to all of this.

Iacobellis

Thanks. We do have a few really nice local camera shops around here so I can do that. I also plan on coming back here often for recommendations since I am pretty new to all of this.

It's my pleasure to help! In the eleven months of owning a DSLR, I have a learned more about photography by actually going out and taking pictures and doing research online than a book could have taught me. It's a great learning experience, and you will probably be amazed when you compare a picture you take the first day you use the camera to one you could take two years from now.

For those who have a Sony NEX camera;

How big is the difference between a cheap Chinese lens adapter from eBay to say a Novoflex? Are the cheap ones too terrible to use?

I've used several Chinese cheapies. At a certain level, they're just a machined metal ring, but if you look closely you can see the shortcuts that went into making them, and many of the cheaper ones will have release buttons in uncomfortable places. Cheap springs, cheap parts, bayonets pried into position with a screwdriver. I can feel that one I have is a bit wobbly if I move the lens around, but the pictures still turn out fine. But I haven't scientifically checked adapter thickness or focus for evenness. These cheapies definitely won't hold up to overly rough treatment.

The Voigtlander and Novoflex will be made to last and to stand up to whatever you throw at them, plus you can be sure the tolerances will be exact and focus will be even across the frame. The M-mount versions also have release buttons that don't interfere with your fingers.

If you just want to mess around with cheap legacy lenses, the cheap adapters are fine. If you're putting a Summicron on your NEX, get a Voigtlander adapter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

How big is the difference between a cheap Chinese lens adapter from eBay to say a Novoflex? Are the cheap ones too terrible to use?

I like my Fotodiox non-pro adapters. They're middle road, not cheap but also not beautifully finished metallic objects. They usually go for $20 to $50. I agree with jiji though about getting the best so you've got assurance of correct flange distance with your more expensive lenses. Fortunately my Zeiss hits infinity focus fine with my fotodiox.

tino

Banned

You don't really need very precise adapter. Even if the tube is slightly shorter,all it means is that your lens can focus beyond infinity for half a turn.

However cheap adapter have low quality control. I have a couple FX adapters. I am pretty sure they are from the same shop. The rings and the markings are the same. A couples are very easy to use, the third one (Nikon adapter) takes me forever to put it on the camera body.

tino

Banned
Played with focus stacking today. I didn't realize how easy it is to do it in CS5.

These were taken with a 28mm AIS + close up lens, 5-10 photos stacking.

They were not perfect, but I don't want to spend too much time until I get a real macro lens.

BLAZER

Well the lubrication problem for the D600 (bad excuses I've received directly from Nikon) has meant my "start from scratch" option means I will be looking at the canon overall system now. Seeing as my trip is in 3 months a decision has to be made now. Out of the these 3 Canon models for landscape and video around Europe, which one is more appropriate? 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III or 6D. Approx 5-6K budget with glass.

I've done my own extensive research but would like to know the road others would take if they had their time again and they had to choose as of 2013.

I'm starting from scratch, so at the moment I have no equipment from either company. This is an investment, so I'm obviously leaning more toward glass than body. Though I would very much like a good compromise.
Cheers

RuGalz

Well the lubrication problem for the D600 (bad excuses I've received directly from Nikon) has meant my "start from scratch" option means I will be looking at the canon overall system now. Seeing as my trip is in 3 months a decision has to be made now. Out of the these 3 Canon models for landscape and video around Europe, which one is more appropriate? 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III or 6D. Approx 5-6K budget with glass.

I've done my own extensive research but would like to know the road others would take if they had their time again and they had to choose as of 2013.

I'm starting from scratch, so at the moment I have no equipment from either company. This is an investment, so I'm obviously leaning more toward glass than body. Though I would very much like a good compromise.
Cheers

If you are primarily a landscape shooter, why not D800E? Just curious.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
X100S, come to me, my darling.

I'm torn. I want the faster autofocus a lot, but am not crazy about flaky RAW support for the X Trans. On top of that, going rate for a used X100 is plummeting, so I would be looking at an $800 investment a year after getting my current X100.

I usually shoot JPEG, so cost is the bigger concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom