• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallacs

Why are items such as sliders and tripods so incredibly expensive for what they do?

I felt the same way and used a $20 tripod for years.

Then when I finally got a camera with liveview and 10x zoom, I couldn't beleive the shake that was going on, even when four feet away from my camera.

You really do get what you pay for, though going Carbon Fiber is a waste unless you have to hike more than 2 miles.

For a good low-cost tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_055XPROB_055XPROB_Aluminum_Tripod_Legs.html

As for sliders, I built my own and ended up spending about as much as a well manufactured one.

I'm thinking of getting this slider. It seems to be one of the cheaper ones that is well reviewed by customers. But still very expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00927HCLM/

Question though: do all sliders have the ability to be mounted on your tripod, and if not, how can I tell which ones can?

I just checked amazon, it seems like tripods start at around $20... Unless I'm searching for the wrong tripods?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000V7AF8E/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357331148&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Any recommendations for one to be used for video?

dmshaposv

heavy tripods are necessary only if you have a heavy rig + small camera or a large video camera.

Most video cameras tend to be heavy.

If you are using a a DSLR and mounting it directly on a tripod, buy a cheaper and lighter one.

My suggestion is get a monopod. Cheaper than tripods and fancy sliders and rigs but really handy for shooting movement in videos.

Parallacs

I'm thinking of getting this slider. It seems to be one of the cheaper ones that is well reviewed by customers. But still very expensive.

Question though: do all sliders have the ability to be mounted on your tripod, and if not, how can I tell which ones can?

I believe most sliders have a 1/4" female for mounting to a standard tripod head. edit: I wouldn't purchase one that didn't say it did.

That slider is only 23" long (Shorter if you are using some device to pull the camera attached to the end). Are you sure that is long enough for what you want to do?

heavy tripods are necessary only if you have a heavy rig + small camera or a large video camera.

Most video cameras tend to be heavy.

If you are using a a DSLR and mounting it directly on a tripod, buy a cheaper and lighter one.

My suggestion is get a monopod. Cheaper than tripods and fancy sliders and rigs but really handy for shooting movement in videos.

A monopod may certainly be an alternative to a shoulder rig, but I wont be able to use it as effectively as a tripod for the shots I have in mind. I think a fluid head tripod with a metal base plate, and perhaps, tension control would be ideal. They average around £70-80 here. Having said that, I've never worked with a tripod so I'll have to see whether the less expensive ones will be good enough.

One of the biggest downsides to this hobby, particularly if you're on a budget, is that you cant test drive a piece of equipment to see whether it suits your needs. I don't want to pay a lot of money for X when the cheaper Y could do the job just as well. But then, I don't want to buy the cheaper Y and realise its awful, only to then buy X and finish with the accumulated cost of both

I believe most sliders have a 1/4" female for mounting to a standard tripod head. edit: I wouldn't purchase one that didn't say it did.

It doesn't specify that on the product page? At least I can't find it.

That slider is only 23" long (Shorter if you are using some device to pull the camera attached to the end). Are you sure that is long enough for what you want to do?
Lol, I have no idea. I would like something portable however

Flo_Evans

Could you guys give me an idea how good these lenses are and what kind of photos they can take?

They're sorta old but from what I understand they should work fine on any Nikon DSLR camera.

You have a nice prime set of pre-Ai (auto-indexing incase you where wondering) lenses.

Can you take a pic of the mounts?

If they are stock they will NOT mount on a D7000 properly and can damage the camera.

Most lenses of that era are "Ai'd" meaning converted to be compatible with later cameras.

Nikon used to do this for a small fee but no longer convert the lenses.

so you have a few options:

Buy a lessor nikon body without the Ai tab (nothing to damage) and snap away in full manual mode with no metering.

Take a dremel tool to them and cut a Ai notch yourself... not really recommended.

Try and track down the factory conversion parts... headache!

Buy and adaptor ring and use them on a different brand of camera.

Use them on an old film nikon.

I would NOT mount a slider like that to a single tripod... unless you have a VERY sturdy tripod and a VERY sturdy head there is no way a slider mounted like that will be stable enough to produce good results. You need 2 tripods (one on each end) to even begin thinking about working.

I would also not recommend a slider of that type, those that just have nylon bushings on an aluminum rail tend to bind up and not be as smooth as roller designs.

You want a BIG heavy tripod for video. Otherwise when you try and pan the fluid head it will just move the tripod and lead to much frustration.

0600.jpg

Worth Buying? Or should i just save up for the Mark 3? Don't own any expensive Canon lenses, so I'm also considering the Nikon D600. Any advice? I shoot portraits and Landscapes mainly.

Danoss

You really do get what you pay for, though going Carbon Fiber is a waste unless you have to hike more than 2 miles.

Untrue. Carbon fibre tripods transfer less vibrations to the camera. When the shutter fires, the mirror slap makes a difference for one.

Grab that aluminium tripod, extend the legs and slap one of them with your hands. See how long it takes for that leg to stop vibrating, it's ridiculous.

Carbon fibre is lighter, but that's not the only advantage. That vibration absorption, strength and the fact that it doesn't freeze your hands off in even slightly cold weather when you touch it are others.

I made the mistake of thinking I wouldn't ever want or need carbon fibre. I was wrong. It's a mistake that costs more in the long run. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Ember128

0600.jpg

Worth Buying? Or should i just save up for the Mark 3? Don't own any expensive Canon lenses, so I'm also considering the Nikon D600. Any advice? I shoot portraits and Landscapes mainly.
If you need an autofocus system for moving objects, 5DMKIII. If you need a a sturdier body, 5DMKIII.

If you want to save over a grand on a GPS and a wireless adapter and don't need the things the 5DMKIIII does, then the 6D.

MRORANGE

[imhttp://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/6d/0600.jpg[/img]

Spec-wise doesn't the D600 beat the 6D in everything except high ISO's? ?

If you're coming up from EF-S lenses they won't work on the 6D

tino

Banned
Spec-wise doesn't the D600 beat the 6D in everything except high ISO's? ?

If you're coming up from EF-S lenses they won't work on the 6D

Its much easier to use old lens on a FF camera than a cropped camera.

I am sure 6D has noticable better dynamic range and color reproduction.

wait you are talking about the D600 not the 600D :p never mind.

Tigel

0600.jpg

Also, the 6D has a rather archaic focus system compared to the 5D MK 3 , with only 11 focus points.

Tigel

Is it $1000 better? Archaic is putting it a bit strongly. Not everyone shoots high fps sports shots.
Well yeah. I mean archaic in comparison to the 5D, not archaic in a general sense. It's up to DarkJediKnight to see if the extra features are worth 1000$ to him.

dmshaposv

Id get the nikon d600 over a 6d, anyday of the week. 6d is just canon stripping away everything good about the mrk iii. D600 is nikon putting all the good from d800 into a cheaper body.

Id get the 5d mrk iii over the nikon d800. Im happy I waited to get it for a good deal ($2850)

(Obviously if ur not too invested in lenses.)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just bought a SB-910 flash and Im completely new to off camera flash lol. Anyone have any good vids/tutorials to watch on it?

If money is not an issue, I'd go with the 5DM3.

As others have said here, the autofocus system is just so much better. But yeah, it's expensive.

I ordered a D600 this week, I think it's the better package than the 6D:

• better sensor
  • 100% viewfinder
  • more cross type AF sensors
  • dual card slots
  • headphone jack
  • cheaper than the 6D (at least where I live, it's about 3/4 of the price of the 6D)

Rookje

So I bought this for my new NEX 6:

Chrome-Niko-camera-bag.jpg

I love it, but I'm thinking it might of been overkill. I don't have multiple lenses [yet]. Maybe I should return it and just get some kind of sling? Or should I keep it for when I do expand?

v0yce

Has anyone here picked up a Sigma 35mm 1.4?

I think I'm about to pull the trigger but was wondering if anyone had hands on time with it.

Has anyone here picked up a Sigma 35mm 1.4?

I think I'm about to pull the trigger but was wondering if anyone had hands on time with it.

I think someone posted pictures from a concert a few pages back.

The Nikon version is not yet available here in Switzerland, I will pick it up in February.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Fujifilm X100s

Fujifilm X100S key features list:
· 16.3 megapixel APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
· EXR Processor II
· High Definition Hybrid Viewfinder (OVF / EVF)
· FUJINON 23mm f/2 lens
· Intelligent Hybrid AF (with the world’s fastest AF speed of 0.08 secs (*1))
· Start-up time of 0.5 secs (*4)
· Shutter time lag of 0.01 secs
· Shooting interval of 0.5 secs
· High-contrast and wide viewing-angle 2.8-inch Premium Clear LCD (460K dots)
· Super Intelligent Flash
· Burst shooting rate of up to 6 frames per second at full resolution (max. 29 frames)
· Focus Peak Highlight function
· Digital Split Image display
· Artistic filters
· Full HD movie recording (60fps / 30fps)

Almost 100% buying this. Anyone want a gently used X100?

lupin23rd

Hey Camera-GAF (or Canon-GAF?),

First-time poster in this thread, and I probably wouldn't have imagined myself posting in here a few days ago... but here we are :)

I've been in Japan for three months now, and potentially only here for another 3 (but maybe longer), and so being the new year I'm starting to plan out where I want to go for some sightseeing and such. I've been to Japan many times before, and while I'm traditionally not someone who takes a lot of photos when he's on vacation, I look back at some of the places I went and kind of regret not taking more photos, to the point I want to revisit some places again as well just to remedy this (and take better ones).

I also find myself without a camera at this point (gave my old Canon ELPH to my parents), so figured it was a good time to start fresh and look into something new.

Hadn't really been considering a DSLR but noticed that the more entry-level models were not the pricey beasts I had previously thought, and so I've been investigating both the T3 and T3i (unfortunately known as the Kiss X50 and X5 here in Japan)...

I'll likely be sticking mostly to architecture (castles, temples, etc...) and some nature scenes, but obviously since these are nice toys I'd probably end up branching out a bit. But that would be the focus on usage. Is there anything either of the models bring to the table that would benefit (or not) this type of photography?

I understand that the included EF-S18-55mm IS II lens in the lens kits is decent for a starter, and I've seen a double-zoom kit that includes a EF-S55-250mm IS II lens as well. I still need to read up on what that all means, but are these both useful lenses?

Any other gear that should be purchased day one? I imagine I need a decent sized media storage solution and a way to get the pictures onto a computer, plus a bag to lug it around in. Is there are recommended size for the SDHC card to start out with?

I understand that the T3i is a newer sensor and so theoretically should be quite a bit better (although whether that's worth the price to me is another question for myself).

Prices I've seen for the lens kits range around $425 for the T3 and $535 for the T3i. Seem to be on par with Amazon and some other places I've checked so I'd probably buy local here to save the shipping fees. It's also possible I'm comparing apples and oranges here and way off base on what these packages are. All these camera companies are here so I assume it's a good place to buy but maybe not?

If anyone has any experience with a model that wasn't purchased in an English-speaking country, can it be changed to English? I assume yes, and I can always ask - my old Powershot was purchase in Japan and I believe was configurable to other languages. Also believe I've found the English manual for download, so I'm not too worried about learning how to use it - should I be?

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone can provide on any of these questions! Looking forward to picking something up and playing around with it.

Going to be pretty busy going through this thread and some of the links posted to get up to speed on some photography basics :)

Cheers!

... I'm not coming right up on a model / line refresh am I? :)

nitewulf

0600.jpg

if you aren't invested in a lens system then D600 is certainly the better body spec wise. but at the end it all depends on what you shoot and what your priorities are. the focus system here isn't as bad as its made to sound. canon limited the 6D focus system because they didn't want to cannibalize saled of the 5D mk3. however, the center cross-type focus point can focus in near dark, and it is the only camera able to do so, check out some reviews that compare its dark focusing abilities versus other cameras. if you plan to shoot at night/in low light/indoors, 6D is the camera to get.

i had no problems shooting moving objects with my old ass 40D, or my old ass GF1 M4/3, but if you are shooting pro level sports stuff for magazines...obviously the 6D isn't the perfect camera.

So Fuji says the X100s will have the fastest autofocus of its class, focusing in 0.08s. Sounds great.

They seem to have pulled the press release.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/6/3842290/fujifilm-announces-x100s-and-x20-cameras

I was a little disappointed to see that it uses exactly the same body, but the backside should be more businesslike this time. And here's hoping that the black model isn't a special edition.

This shit is hot:

Also new to the FUJIFILM X100S is the world’s first (*5) “Digital Split Image” feature, which displays dual images on the left and right to be lined up for manual focusing. This enables accurate focusing especially when working with an open aperture or macro shooting. What’s more there is a handy Focus Peak Highlight function, which shows you precisely which area of your composition is in focus.

The menu system has been also updated to incorporate a Q “Quick” button which allows you to quickly call up frequently-used menu items such as ISO setting and Film Simulation modes. In addition, the Fn (Function) button allows users to assign functions frequently used while shooting, for convenient use at the touch of a button.

Aurongel

...Kit lens, high ISO and slow shutter speed be damned.

I purchased my 600D a few months ago and recently got the much loved 50mm f1.8 and that lens alone has enabled me to shoot photos indoors like I was never able to before. If you're doing a lot of shooting indoors or in an area with low light, a lens with a nice wide aperture like that might be a solid option. Also, it's $100 so it's a solid cheap option for indoor work.

dmshaposv

I was a little disappointed to see that it uses exactly the same body, but the backside should be more businesslike this time. And here's hoping that the black model isn't a special edition.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The fuji x100 had the sexy leica look without the ridiculous price tag. its a sexy ass camera, with a styling thats both classic and near perfect. I actually dislike the "s" in the front this time around on the body as I adored the pure retro minimalism on the front.

The back end needed work and thankfully it is getting that. needs moar physical buttons and less go in menu for shit NEX business.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sucks, I bought a Nikon D7000 a year ago and while it's a really good camera, I just don't get a lot of opportunities to do photography, let alone in situations where I'd even want to carry a bulky camera with me.

tino

Banned
You guys have picture of the x20 or the back side of x100s?

I think somebody broke the NDA, there is not announcement yet.

So I'm fairly new to DSLR photography, and I had a couple questions. This sounds really dumb, but how do I best clean lenses? There are water flecks (from rain) and dust on them, but I don't know if I should just use tissue paper or something special.

Second question: I have an Alpha 57, and I want a nice cheap bag for it and a couple lenses. Any recommendations?

So I'm fairly new to DSLR photography, and I had a couple questions. This sounds really dumb, but how do I best clean lenses? There are water flecks (from rain) and dust on them, but I don't know if I should just use tissue paper or something special.

Try to clean your lenses as little as possible. Stuff on the surface of the lens won't affect image quality, but it may increase flare.

Blow off as much as you can with a blower bulb. Then dust lightly with a microfiber cloth or soft brush. Then apply lens cleaning fluid to a cotton swab and apply that to the surface of the lens and wipe gently with the microfiber cloth.

You can keep a multicoated UV filter on the lens for protection. It's generally a good idea.

Second question: I have an Alpha 57, and I want a nice cheap bag for it and a couple lenses. Any recommendations?

no tissue. it can scratch. need a microfiber or special lens wipes. i use a liquid solution as well but some will say this is damaging to coatings. never tissue though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom