• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my camera for a year now, last night I took my recently acquired 70mm 2.8 lens out at night and was amazed at how much better it was in low-light than my other lenses, and now I want to try a flash and see how that adds to things

magicstop

Got the Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake for Christmas, and I adore this little thing! It's crazy how light my 60D feels with it attached, and the image quality is outstanding. It's been doing very, very well in low light settings. Better than I thought a 2.8 would do.

Well the thing is the Japan Market has nothing to do with the world market, just like in video games or consumer appliances or phone business.

If you want to get a sense what the world market like, a ranking list from US, EU or China would look alot closer to the world wide most popular mirrorless cameras.

Also EOS M was for sale for less than 2 months? Look the Pentax Q is on the top 10, this list is useless.

pentax Q and nikon 1 are both VERY strongly marketed in japan. also, they are both cute, and their deficiencies are not immediately obvious to anyone not well-versed in imaging technology.

doesn't surprise me at all to see them doing well sales-wise.

nitewulf

Only because you let it. Most of us started at the cheap end, which when I started was more than double the price of the entry price today.

But yes, it can be an expensive hobby. I find it's very useful to figure out where your current gear is letting you down before buying new stuff.

That's why you so much good qaulity used gear on craigslist. many people start off with a mid-range body, buy 70-200mm L lenses, tripods etc without even learning how to shoot. then they realize this is a hobby they aren't actually passionate about, and sell off their stuff.

Learn how to take photos first, have fun. Worry about gear later. Plus if you aren't actually making money off of it...spending $5000 for a hobby at the beginning is ridiculous. Photography is a luxury hobby, yes, but the price doesn't have to start up there.

aparisi2274

I am in the market for a good Super Ultra Wide Angle lens and while I had some nice success with the Canon 10-22mm UW, I could not afford to keep it as the $800 price tag was out of budget range, but I just came across this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800908495-USE/Canon_2545a003_Zoom_Super_Wide_Angle.html

12084.jpg

At $280.00 and a (9) for condition, I could definitely afford this lens, but I wanted to know if anyone in here has worked with it, and how the results were....

I shoot a lot of landscape and nature shots, so UW lenses are something I'd like to get into!

Thanks!!!

nitewulf

that len's wouldn't be "ultra" wide at all, unless you're shooting full frame. with an APS-C body, at 20mm you'd get 20*1.6=32mm, which isnt very wide at all. i'd suggest the canon 17-85 (used)...which would get you a bit wider...but true wide angles lenses are all pretty pricey.

tino

Banned
Back in the film days every lens mount had a cheap 20-35/3.5-4.5 and a 100/3.5 1:2 macro. I heard most of them were made by Cosina.

You could get the Tokina 11-16/2.8 (version 1) for $499 during holiday.

I am in the market for a good Super Ultra Wide Angle lens and while I had some nice success with the Canon 10-22mm UW, I could not afford to keep it as the $800 price tag was out of budget range, but I just came across this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800908495-USE/Canon_2545a003_Zoom_Super_Wide_Angle.html

12084.jpg

At $280.00 and a (9) for condition, I could definitely afford this lens, but I wanted to know if anyone in here has worked with it, and how the results were....

I shoot a lot of landscape and nature shots, so UW lenses are something I'd like to get into!

Thanks!!!

I'm guessing you want to avoid fisheye?

Arrived today, can't wait to see what this thing can do compared to my nifty fifty, and my 30 yr old 1.7 manual lens.

rDmcB.jpg
I've got a Yashinon 50 1.7 and it is certainly bright. I've always wondered how a 1.4 would look. I mostly do video so please post some comparison shots between this and the 1.7.

aparisi2274

I'm assuming you're on a crop since you listed the 10-22. 20mm isn't ultra wide.

Look at the sigma 10-20mm.

I apologize... Its listed as "Super Wide Angle" Not Ultra Wide. I did like the 10-22, but I couldn't afford to keep it, especially not at the price it was selling for new.

actually they have a Sigma 10-20 on Adorama used for $384...this is truely "ultra"-wide...as you'd get a 16mm wide view.

http://www.adorama.com/US 539129.html

I will give this a look, thanks!!!

I'm guessing you want to avoid fisheye?

Yes. I want to avoid Fish eye at all costs...

This is a photo I had taken with the 10-22:

8263491076_42a886c0d0_c.jpg

I am looking to get similar results with a Wide Angle lens that I can afford. If that Sigma is $384, I might get that one.

is the tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC the only lens in that range with image stabilization?
i know the canon 24-70mm has IS, but dropping 2gs isn't part of my budget at the moment.
gonna use it as my main workhorse for video.

Damaged

I apologize... Its listed as "Super Wide Angle" Not Ultra Wide. I did like the 10-22, but I couldn't afford to keep it, especially not at the price it was selling for new.

I will give this a look, thanks!!!

Yes. I want to avoid Fish eye at all costs...

This is a photo I had taken with the 10-22:

8263491076_42a886c0d0_c.jpg

I am looking to get similar results with a Wide Angle lens that I can afford. If that Sigma is $384, I might get that one.

I took this shot with the sigma:

There is some distortion as you would expect from a 10-20mm lens but you can fix it in lightroom pretty easily

(._.)

Banned

Could you guys give me an idea how good these lenses are and what kind of photos they can take?

They're sorta old but from what I understand they should work fine on any Nikon DSLR camera.

Could you guys give me an idea how good these lenses are and what kind of photos they can take?

They're sorta old but from what I understand they should work fine on any Nikon DSLR camera.

As far as I can tell, they are pre-AI lenses (~40 years old), so will work on the 'cheap' DSLRs: D40/60/3000/3100/3200/5000/5100/5200. Manual focus and manual exposure (camera won't even meter, so you guess, review, and adjust.). Not for action.

I have the newer version of the 105mm, from a decade later, and love it.

tino

Banned

You got some decent pre-AI lens. BLueTsunami will sing the praise for the 105/25.

VVVV See hehe

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Is the left most one a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5? If so you've got a mighty good portraiture lens there. I don't have any portrait examples on hand but here are two used for subjects in nature...

8197005257_61a9b37065_b.jpg

8088732629_68e7de1e29_b.jpg

If its similar to my version (AI, Guass Type), it performs very well wide open with some softness and picking up contrast and sharpness straight from f/2.8. If its the older version then, if I remember correctly, it performs better up close (in regards to sharpness). I absolutely love mine when I'm able to use it (a bit long on crop sensors). Seems like the perfect portrait lens on FF though.

dmshaposv

is the tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC the only lens in that range with image stabilization?
i know the canon 24-70mm has IS, but dropping 2gs isn't part of my budget at the moment.
gonna use it as my main workhorse for video.

Im using the Tamron 24-70 VC

Took a couple of photos with it at 1/10, 1/8 and even 1'' (!) shutter speeds and I was surprised how I managed to get relatively non-shaky results at least for basic web photos.

As for video - basically get this lens. The new canon 24-70 doesn't even have IS and canon is charging $2k for it! There are many youtube video reviews out there telling you how much it trumps over the 24-70 canon (mk 1) and while the mk II is more sharper - that sharpness is irrelevant at 1080p.

Also, this video will be relevant to your interests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat-cF1Aess

Im using the Tamron 24-70 VC

Took a couple of photos with it at 1/10, 1/8 and even 1'' (!) shutter speeds and I was surprised how I managed to get relatively non-shaky results at least for basic web photos.

As for video - basically get this lens. The new canon 24-70 doesn't even have IS and canon is charging $2k for it! There are many youtube video reviews out there telling you how much it trumps over the 24-70 canon (mk 1) and while the mk II is more sharper - that sharpness is irrelevant at 1080p.

Also, this video will be relevant to your interests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat-cF1Aess

so tamron it is then.
welp, goodbye $1000.

Hello Camera-GAF, need some advice

I've had a Canon EOS 500D + various lenses for a couple of years now and an mulling over a move to a mirrorless alternative.

Reasons being, having a young daughter who is constantly on the move, my partner is getting fed up of trying to get good photos of her in (normally) indoor, low light situations. She's not interested in swapping lenses, adjusting settings etc... she loves the quality of the SLR photos when they come out right but hates both the bulk of the camera + lenses and the sheer weight of options there are. Might just be I'm not a very good teacher! :)

I've tried various lenses from the 18-55 kit lens through to various zooms (Canon 17-85) and a couple of different primes (Canon 50MM 1.4 and Sigma 30mm 1.4). She still can't find any combo she likes :(

Have shown her some of the new mirrorless options like the Canon, Nikon, Olumpus PEN and lastly, the Sony NEX range. She's had a Sony P&S in the past and loved it, looking at the reviews of the NEX7, it looks fantastic and the relatively compact form along with some of the real-time exposure preview features had her interested.

Does GAF have any experience of the NEX7 and any opinions they can share? I'd go for the NEX7 over some of the cheaper options as I was considering a move up to a 60D or 7D body anyway.

I'd either sell all my Canon stuff and swap over completely or if possible, keep a couple of lenses and buy an adaptor.

I like my SLR but have to admit, travelling with a baby, any opportunity to reduce baggage is tempting!!

Chairhome

Got the Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake for Christmas, and I adore this little thing! It's crazy how light my 60D feels with it attached, and the image quality is outstanding. It's been doing very, very well in low light settings. Better than I thought a 2.8 would do.

I just finished a three week rental of this lens on my 60D and I loved it. I still want something a little wider eventually, but i can see myself getting this lens. Very nice clarity.

nitewulf

Hello Camera-GAF, need some advice

I've had a Canon EOS 500D + various lenses for a couple of years now and an mulling over a move to a mirrorless alternative.

Reasons being, having a young daughter who is constantly on the move, my partner is getting fed up of trying to get good photos of her in (normally) indoor, low light situations. She's not interested in swapping lenses, adjusting settings etc... she loves the quality of the SLR photos when they come out right but hates both the bulk of the camera + lenses and the sheer weight of options there are. Might just be I'm not a very good teacher! :)

I've tried various lenses from the 18-55 kit lens through to various zooms (Canon 17-85) and a couple of different primes (Canon 50MM 1.4 and Sigma 30mm 1.4). She still can't find any combo she likes :(

Have shown her some of the new mirrorless options like the Canon, Nikon, Olumpus PEN and lastly, the Sony NEX range. She's had a Sony P&S in the past and loved it, looking at the reviews of the NEX7, it looks fantastic and the relatively compact form along with some of the real-time exposure preview features had her interested.

Does GAF have any experience of the NEX7 and any opinions they can share? I'd go for the NEX7 over some of the cheaper options as I was considering a move up to a 60D or 7D body anyway.

I'd either sell all my Canon stuff and swap over completely or if possible, keep a couple of lenses and buy an adaptor.

I like my SLR but have to admit, travelling with a baby, any opportunity to reduce baggage is tempting!!

i am not sure about the Nex lens lineup. but you need a body with good high ISO performance and a very fast prime.

such a system is the Olympus OMD (very good high ISO performance), and the system has some excellent fast primes: 20mm f/1.7, 45mm f/1.8 etc. At 3200 ISO and f/1.8...your wife should be able to capture good indoor photos of your baby.

if the Nex system has comparable primes, and the body has good high ISO performance then you can get that. you should look at flickr for examples.

mrkgoo

I have a question for BLueTsunami specifcally, or anyone else who has replaced a focus screen.

I've found it necessary to remove my focus screen on my 7D (which I understand is different and has an extra retainer that you have to remove first) to clean a bug (I have no idea how it got up in the prism box).

I followed the katzeye optics guide:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install_12.pdf

Anyway, they speak of a gold shim that sits above the focus screen between the screen and the housing. Now I swear I saw two of them in my 7D. Am I crazy? Or is one of them actually just the housing itself? Or maybe there are two and one sits on either side of the screen?

I was just wondering what you experience has been with replacing focus screens. I unclipped the wire clip, and the focus screen dropped down, and I can't remember if there was a shim on both sides or just in between.

Cheers.

Hey BlueTsunami, any idea bout the gold shim? I checked again, there's one thin one and a second slightly thicker one. Do they both belong together or one either side of the focus screen? What is your experience with focus screens on the models you've changed them in? At the moment, I have the gold shims together above the screen and the metal clip directly on the screen.

(._.)

Banned
Is the left most one a Nikkor 105mm f/2.5? If so you've got a mighty good portraiture lens there. I don't have any portrait examples on hand but here are two used for subjects in nature...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8202/8197005257_61a9b37065_b.jpg[/img*]

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8183/8088732629_68e7de1e29_b.jpg[/img*]

If its similar to my version (AI, Guass Type), it performs very well wide open with some softness and picking up contrast and sharpness straight from f/2.8. If its the older version then, if I remember correctly, it performs better up close (in regards to sharpness). I absolutely love mine when I'm able to use it (a bit long on crop sensors). Seems like the perfect portrait lens on FF though.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I think we both have the exact same lens :)

Which Nikon do you usually use with it?

I believe I'll be able to acquire a used D7000 very soon for a really reasonable price. Will the lens function fine with that body?

Also what is a good lens for somebody just getting interested in photography? I'll be shooting mostly nature and cityscapes with no movement/action. Wouldn't mind knowing about a decent fast starter lens though if I want to start taking pictures with action in them.

[quote="CrudeDiatribe, post: 45998460"]As far as I can tell, they are pre-AI lenses (~40 years old), so will work on the 'cheap' DSLRs: D40/60/3000/3100/3200/5000/5100/5200. Manual focus and manual exposure (camera won't even meter, so you guess, review, and adjust.). Not for action.

I have the newer version of the 105mm, from a decade later, and love it.[/QUOTE]

[quote="tino, post: 45998479"]You got some decent pre-AI lens. BLueTsunami will sing the praise for the 105/25.

VVVV See hehe[/QUOTE]

thanks!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hey BlueTsunami, any idea bout the gold shim? I checked again, there's one thin one and a second slightly thicker one. Do they both belong together or one either side of the focus screen? What is your experience with focus screens on the models you've changed them in? At the moment, I have the gold shims together above the screen and the metal clip directly on the screen.

I'm not exactly sure with the 7D but um going to hazard a guess that they both belong behind the screen. Canon offers shims in various sizes to be used in groups to achieve the right shim thickness. Yours probably came with two.

(._.) said:

Which Nikon do you usually use with it?

I believe I'll be able to acquire a used D7000 very soon for a really reasonable price. Will the lens function fine with that body?

Unfortunately I'm not sure if it'll work as intended with that Nikon. I've adapted mine to work with the Sony NEX5N.

No, he has one like mine, IIRC.

Likely not as yours looks to be pre-AI. It has a bit that can damage the AF (autofocus) screw aperture-index tab on the D7000, IIRC, whereas the newer AI and AI-S lenses accommodate the AF screw this on the Nikon bodies with them (no autofocus, but not damage).

You should really try to identify the lens and potential compatibility issues before you try to mount it. I have read (here, and elsewhere) that the pre-AI/AF-screw issue is sometimes overstated.

EDIT: It's not the AF-screw that's potentially damaged, it's the aperture tab. See this thread on dpreview.com: Nikkor-P 105mm f/2.5 on a D90
Also what is a good lens for somebody just getting interested in photography? I'll be shooting mostly nature and cityscapes with no movement/action.

The kit lens. If you mean nature landscapes, you may want to find a used AI-S 28mm or 24mm lens on KEH.com.

cbox

I've got a Yashinon 50 1.7 and it is certainly bright. I've always wondered how a 1.4 would look. I mostly do video so please post some comparison shots between this and the 1.7.

OO I won't be able to, I just lent the lens to a friend- but I'll try when I get it back.

These were taken with my 1.7 & 7d.

5110347239_1ec6d92810_z.jpg
5110946882_c9db08a553_z.jpg

JDeluis

I have a sudden urge to update my Canon Rebel XT(350D) to a 60D. Amazon currently has it for $700(body Only) Seeing that it was released back in 2010 I'm not sure if I should wait and see if Canon will release an update to that camera this year. I'm sure it will priced much higher.

I currently use my Canon Rebel XT for photos and bought a Canon HF M50 video camera six months ago to record my first newborn. I was originally going to buy the 60D to take advantage of the video recording, but knew that most of my family wouldn't know how to properly use a DSLR to record video. This week I ordered a Sigma 17-70 to finally replace my ef-s 18-55. I do have 50 1.8 and a 70-200 4L lens so its not my first update. That should hold me over for some time. Sorry for the long post. Anyway decisions, decisions...

I have a sudden urge to update my Canon Rebel XT(350D) to a 60D. Amazon currently has it for $700(body Only) Seeing that it was released back in 2010 I'm not sure if I should wait and see if Canon will release an update to that camera this year. I'm sure it will priced much higher.

I currently use my Canon Rebel XT for photos and bought a Canon HF M50 video camera six months ago to record my first newborn. I was originally going to buy the 60D to take advantage of the video recording, but knew that most of my family wouldn't know how to properly use a DSLR to record video. This week I ordered a Sigma 17-70 to finally replace my ef-s 18-55. I do have 50 1.8 and a 70-200 4L lens so its not my first update. That should hold me over for some time. Sorry for the long post. Anyway decisions, decisions...

I vote T4i. It's better in the long run

tch

Are there any good (preferably cheap) wide lenses compatible with my Sony a580? I have the 18-250 but I'm sure there are better for landscapes.

T3i or T4i. Either one.

Ember128

I'm told that some camera stores are starting having a very difficult time being able to order any 60D's or 7D's from Canon. I'm 85% certain we're going to see a 70D/7D MKII this year, my bet being in 1st or 2nd quarter.

Are there any good (preferably cheap) wide lenses compatible with my Sony a580? I have the 18-250 but I'm sure there are better for landscapes.

I don't know how wide you want to go, but there are the Tamron 10-24mm F/3,5-4,5 SP Di II for about 400 bucks and the Sigma 10-20mm F4,0-5,6 EX DC for slightly more. I tried them both and opted for the Tamron but there are a lot of people that like the Sigma more. You might look at Flickr for examples.

And there is also the Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex 14mm 2.8 as a prime with manual focus. Good quality as everybody says, but I never tried it myself.

JDeluis

I vote T4i. It's better in the long run

T3i or T4i. Either one.

That just makes the decision tougher. I was going to buy a T3i months ago when Fry's had a sale on just the body, but they sold out. Can't remember the price. I do like to larger size and weight of the 60D much more. I currently use the XT with a battery grip.

I'm told that some camera stores are starting having a very difficult time being able to order any 60D's or 7D's from Canon. I'm 85% certain we're going to see a 70D/7D MKII this year, my bet being in 1st or 2nd quarter.

If I've waited this long to update, I'm sure I can wait a couple more months. Especially with CES this month?

I need my fix!

Edit:This makes the 60D more enticing!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732048-REG/Canon_4460B004_EOS_60D_DSLR_Camera.html

That just makes the decision tougher. I was going to buy a T3i months ago when Fry's had a sale on just the body, but they sold out. Can't remember the price. I do like to larger size and weight of the 60D much more. I currently use the XT with a battery grip.

If I've waited this long to update, I'm sure I can wait a couple more months. Especially with CES this month?

I need my fix!

Edit:This makes the 60D more enticing!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732048-REG/Canon_4460B004_EOS_60D_DSLR_Camera.html

Or how about a used 7D?

I owned bot the 60D and the 7D, and I liked the 7D a lot more, it's fast and the AF is much better. Plus you get weather sealing and a 100% viewfinder.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
X100 and X20 Rumors:

http://photorumors.com/2013/01/04/more-fuji-x100s-and-x20-details-and-specs/

Digicame-info published the first leaked images of the Fujifilm X100s and X20 camera. As I reported yesterday, the camera will be available also in silver (similar to the X100). In the mean time, I received some more details on the two new Fuji cameras:
  • Similar to the X20, the X100 and X100s will be identical on the outside.
  • The X100 will have a new function called Digital Split Image function (used to improve focusing).
  • The X100s will have the new 0.5 in, 2,360,000 dots OLED viewfinder (same as inside the X-E1), the X100 had a 0.47 in, 1,440,000 dots EVF.
  • Both X100s and X20 will have focus peaking
  • Both X100 and X20 will have hybrid AF (contrast and phase detection AF)!
  • Both new models will have improved/faster AF.
  • The X20 is now also getting a new X-Trans sensors.

If this is true about the X100s having the hybrid AF system and the speed is improved, it is going to be difficult for me to not want to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom