• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I'm torn. I want the faster autofocus a lot, but am not crazy about flaky RAW support for the X Trans. On top of that, going rate for a used X100 is plummeting, so I would be looking at an $800 investment a year after getting my current X100.

I usually shoot JPEG, so cost is the bigger concern.

Fuji's jpg is very good.

tino

Banned
Oh, I know. That's why with my X100 I shoot 99% JPEG. But, it is a limiting factor if RAW support is as flaky as it is for the X Trans.

Translating the raw data from the XTran sensor into a jpg/rgb representation is a not an easy algorithm problem. Fuji still need to work on it.

Look at the photos I posted above. I can see a hair bit of "jelly effect" on the candy. Personally I don't care. I am just saying its not easy for a third party to come in and decode the raw for Fuji.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Translating the raw data from the XTran sensor into a jpg/rgb representation is a not an easy algorithm problem. Fuji still need to work on it.

Look at the photos I posted above. I can see a hair bit of "jelly effect" on the candy. Personally I don't care. I am just saying its not easy for a third party to come in and decode the raw for Fuji.

What did you shoot those with?

calza

For a beginner interested in photography, are dslr still the best place to jump in? With mirrorless, micro 4/3 and Sony's NEX i'm not really sure what to do.

My budget is probably around £400 at the most. I've had a look at somethings, the Nikon D3100 looks quite good but as I said before I'm not really sure what to do.

For a beginner interested in photography, are dslr still the best place to jump in? With mirrorless, micro 4/3 and Sony's NEX i'm not really sure what to do.

My budget is probably around £400 at the most. I've had a look at somethings, the Nikon D3100 looks quite good but as I said before I'm not really sure what to do.

go mirrorless then. entry level DSLRs universally suck in terms of usability, and will be a lot more difficult for the beginner.

Do you plan on doing any kind of traveling associated with photography? If so, I'd lean towards mirrorless personally.

tino

Banned

If you are an art student and you are ambitious, you should learn on a SLR. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Unless you plan on shooting subjects in motion, all you really need is the ability to manipulate ISO, F-Stop and Shutter speed with RAW capabilities if you plan on dabbling in post work. In which case any of the mirrorless offerings would be good enough. With Micro 4/3 or NEX is more a less a pick your poison situation. You'll be buying into a lens system and currently M4/3 has the more comprehensive system.

sfedai0

Banned
Anyone have experience renting lenses? If so, any reputable places your would recommend?

Im going on a 4 week trip asia, but thinking of renting versus buying a lens.

tino

Banned
Anyone have experience renting lenses? If so, any reputable places your would recommend?

Im going on a 4 week trip asia, but thinking of renting versus buying a lens.

Are you in NY? Its really easy in NYC.

Although for that long period of time, its cheaper to buy used and sell.

Walked into a thrift store today and bought this for $10. SO sad that i can't easily use it on my T4i but selling it will finance some cool stuff.

IMG_2884-e1358220787728.jpg

Holy crap
Looking through a 1.2 is amazing. Such beautiful wide glass. I drool. Maybe I'll get an L after selling this stuff.

This was just one of about 25 lenses I picked up today for a total of about $250. After selling off the ones I don't need it'll be a nice chunk of change. Here's the list:

PK Mounts:
2x Asahi Pentax-M 50mm 2.0
SMC Pentax-M 28mm 2.8
Soligor 35mm 2.8
Makinon Auto 28mm 2.8
Auto Sears 50mm 2
Auto Sears 28mm 2.8
Vivitar MC Auto Variable Focusing 28-85mm 2.8-3.8
Pentax SMC F 28-80mm 3.5-4.5 (damaged front element encasing)
Kalimar 28mm 2.8 MC Wide Angle Macro

MD Mounts:
MD Rokkor X 50mm 1.4
MD Rokkor X 50mm 1.7
MC W. Rokkor SG 28mm 3.5
Maxxum AF 50mm 1.7
Sigma AF Macro 90mm 2.8
Sigma Zoom AF 75-300mm 4.5-5.6
Minolta AF Zoom 35-105mm 3.5-4.5
Minolta AF Zoom 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 (damaged mount)

Nikon Mount:
Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8
Tamron BBAR MC 35-135mm 3.5-4.5

Konica (Maybe?)
Vivitar VMC Series 1 Macro Focusing 28-90mm 2.8-3.5

You can easily use that lens on your t4i, just pick up a lens adapter like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Minolta-Canon-Adapter-Focus-Infinity/dp/B005JRCWI2/ref=pd_cp_p_1
And you will be able to use that beautiful glass.

I've heard bad things about adapters and their cheap glass ruining quality pics from Minolta lenses. I know there's a hard mod, but I'd rather keep the integrity of this one intact. Maybe I'll give it a shot as it's only $30.

Though this guy may be the answer:
http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

BLAZER

If you are primarily a landscape shooter, why not D800E? Just curious.

To be honest, i'm really not looking to blow half my budget on a body, which the D800e will do. Plus with that resolution the lenses have to be the best to get the most out of it. All factors equated, the D800's aren't very travel friendly when your gone for long periods at a time backpacking.

The sad thing is, the D600 ticked all the boxes, it's just that if it is unreliable or needs fixing i'm be unable to do that while traveling. Bloody Nikon quality control i tell ya, and that damn mirror box flicking the lubricant. The excuse they gave me was absolutely ridiculous, they took no responsibility whatsoever, which leads me to believe "will they even help me if the camera needs fixing on my trip? which to even think about is very worrisome, unexpected and something i'd rather not deal with. I've seen some stunning photos and long exposures ruined by it. Post process can only do so much. If only.

So this is why I'm pretty much forced toward the canon path, which is looking like the 5d Mark II, tried and tested and then getting a nice amount of L-Glass.

IllumiNate

The dust issue is overblown. If u do actually end up with a problem just take 2 minutes and clean it. when the warrenty is nearly up send it in for professional cleaning then sell it on Craigslist/kijiji and buy a new body.

BLAZER

The dust issue is overblown. If u do actually end up with a problem just take 2 minutes and clean it. when the warrenty is nearly up send it in for professional cleaning then sell it on Craigslist/kijiji and buy a new body.

It'd be easy if it was dust, a blower would do the job. It's lubricant, so the sensor clean has to be cleaned every couple of 10 's or hundred photos or so. It's not overblown, it's very real, with i'd say 80-100% being affected.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/d600-sensor-dust-issues

Sec0nd

I might have to do some filming outside today for a school project. The problem is that it's snowing. I've got a Canon 600D (T3i) and just how weather proof is it? It's barely snowing but I'd rather not risk it if it's easily damaged by water or snow.

I finally got my c-mount lenses today to try out on my NEX-6. Impressed so far but I haven't really taken them out in the real world to test them out.

Below photo taken with a 35mm f/1.7. The lens in my hand is a 25mm f/1.2

Below photo taken with a 25mm f/1.2. The lens in my hand is a 35mm f/1.7

I like how these lenses treat light. No PS except for RAW adjustments. Had to crop the 25mm image to remove vignetting.

It'd be easy if it was dust, a blower would do the job. It's lubricant, so the sensor clean has to be cleaned every couple of 10 's or hundred photos or so. It's not overblown, it's very real, with i'd say 80-100% being affected.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/d600-sensor-dust-issues

They did post a follow up that the problem is going away over time (the lube does need to be cleaned).

I will be sending my D600 off to Nikon in a few weeks, I think. Yay.

Addi

I might have to do some filming outside today for a school project. The problem is that it's snowing. I've got a Canon 600D (T3i) and just how weather proof is it? It's barely snowing but I'd rather not risk it if it's easily damaged by water or snow.

I wouldn't worry. I have a 550d (t2i) that I have used for three years in all kinds of weather (well, within a reasonable limit, never in pouring rain). A little bit of snow shouldn't be a problem.

Cover with plastic bags. Used to cover my laptop if I was on my motorcycle when it rained.

To be honest, i'm really not looking to blow half my budget on a body, which the D800e will do. Plus with that resolution the lenses have to be the best to get the most out of it. All factors equated, the D800's aren't very travel friendly when your gone for long periods at a time backpacking.

The sad thing is, the D600 ticked all the boxes, it's just that if it is unreliable or needs fixing i'm be unable to do that while traveling. Bloody Nikon quality control i tell ya, and that damn mirror box flicking the lubricant. The excuse they gave me was absolutely ridiculous, they took no responsibility whatsoever, which leads me to believe "will they even help me if the camera needs fixing on my trip? which to even think about is very worrisome, unexpected and something i'd rather not deal with. I've seen some stunning photos and long exposures ruined by it. Post process can only do so much. If only.

So this is why I'm pretty much forced toward the canon path, which is looking like the 5d Mark II, tried and tested and then getting a nice amount of L-Glass.

You should take a tripod with you anyway for landscape photography, so there goes the "travel friendly".

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Unless you're careful you can end up spending a whole load more money than you want to on "stuff". I'd be a bit more certain that photography is for you before diving in too deep. So probably a good zoom compact with manual controls rather than the DSLR/Mirrorless stuff.

I survived many (about 7) years on an old Canon Powershot (an S45) before finally taking the deeper plunge into DSLR. And by then I knew something about what I liked to shoot and had some familiarity with manual controls. Get your basic learning done on one of those and you'll be more confident about deciding what (and if) you want to step up to. Plus you'll spend (as in potentially waste) a lot less.

You won't get the sensor size, the image quality, the lens choice; but you'll get a camera you can stick in a pocket, carry anywhere, take lots of photos and learn from (subject choice, composition and lighting are way more important than image quality anyhow). Just make sure it's got manual controls and start using them from the off. A lot of photographers have something like this as a second camera - just buy the second camera first!

I don't know much about what is available these days, but on a quick search the Canon SX150 and the SX40 look bloody good value to me.

(EDIT: I did have a film SLR many years ago and never ever managed to work out how to use the thing properly)

tino

Banned
Took the plunge and got Jim Buchanan's adapter. I'll have it sometime next week. SO, for $87 all in I'll have a nice 58mm 1.2 lens. I cannot wait.

I don't know. How do you know it still focus correctly. I would get a tube adapter (that doesn't focus to infinity) first and play around as an exclusive portroit lens.

What mount is this btw.

AndyD

aka andydumi
We are getting a DSLR as a present. The grandparents want us to have a nice camera for the upcoming twins.

A Nikon 5200, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX, and a Nikon 18-200mm VR II lenses. And a couple of sets of filters and so forth.

What does GAF think? Also, what type of SD card should I look for, as in what's the point of diminishing returns on the speed? I see Class 10's at 45MB/s but also a few 90MB/s that are double the price.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
We are getting a DSLR as a present. The grandparents want us to have a nice camera for the upcoming twins.

A Nikon 5200, a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX, and a Nikon 18-200mm VR II lenses. And a couple of sets of filters and so forth.

What does GAF think? Also, what type of SD card should I look for, as in what's the point of diminishing returns on the speed? I see Class 10's at 45MB/s but also a few 90MB/s that are double the price.

It's a present. It is just fine, and Class 10s will suit you. Shoot a lot of stuff and learn the basics before the twins are born or you will not forgive yourself!

I don't know. How do you know it still focus correctly. I would get a tube adapter (that doesn't focus to infinity) first and play around as an exclusive portroit lens.

What mount is this btw.

He machine's them for infinity. The Minolta is an MD mount. Getting a tube adapter for such a nice lens is a waste imo.

I'm torn. I want the faster autofocus a lot, but am not crazy about flaky RAW support for the X Trans. On top of that, going rate for a used X100 is plummeting, so I would be looking at an $800 investment a year after getting my current X100.

I usually shoot JPEG, so cost is the bigger concern.

Im on the same boat here, really want the S, but its just too much money for what I would be getting extra over my regular X100, I will probably skip the S and either wait for the next iteration or a used S.

I dont really ever shoot with manual focus and the new autofocus is probably mind blowing but the current one hasnt really made me miss that many shoots to justify the $800 investment.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's a present. It is just fine, and Class 10s will suit you. Shoot a lot of stuff and learn the basics before the twins are born or you will not forgive yourself!

Great to hear. We only have a film SLR and accompanying film development bits, so this will be the first jump into a digital one.

tino

Banned
He machine's them for infinity. The Minolta is an MD mount. Getting a tube adapter for such a nice lens is a waste imo.

Well the argument is that its a one way conversion with no going back.

Although I did pay somebody to convert a lens into NEX mount, but that was from a rangefinder and you can't use it without converting.

Well the argument is that its a one way conversion with no going back.

Although I did pay somebody to convert a lens into NEX mount, but that was from a rangefinder and you can't use it without converting.

It isn't one way with this conversion. The only thing being replaced is the mounting plate which can easily be interchanged

what is the best starter lens for doing professional video shooting on a dslr. Those 8mm primes are crazy expensive but i dont know if buying a plastic lens to start would give me a sharp enough picture.

Get high quality Class 10 cards so you don't have to worry about a card failure and losing your photos.

Fusebox

Banned
Guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask but can anyone give me tips on photographing a moving baby? I use the Fuji X10 and when she's still it gives me fantastic pics but most of the time she moves just as I'm taking the pic and it blurs out. Should I try and used a fixed focus instead so I don't have to wait for the camera to focus? Or a really high shutter speed? I'm usually shooting indoors under regular light bulbs so there's a moderate amount of light.

Basically I get too many photos that look like this:

Any advice would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom