• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

Guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask but can anyone give me tips on photographing a moving baby? I use the Fuji X10 and when she's still it gives me fantastic pics but most of the time she moves just as I'm taking the pic and it blurs out. Should I try and used a fixed focus instead so I don't have to wait for the camera to focus? Or a really high shutter speed? I'm usually shooting indoors under regular light bulbs so there's a moderate amount of light.

Basically I get too many photos that look like this:

Any advice would be great!

The problem with moving subject, especially fast moving babies, is that the shutter speed on the camera is not fast enough to capture the subject without blurring effects. If you can customize how you shoot, I'd set your shutter around 1/150th of a sec, so that it is super fast and captures the subject without blurring. If you can't set the shutter speed, then I'd suggest trying to set your camera to sports mode or something, where it will take a burst of photos of a fast moving object and have minimal blurring attached to it.

Hope this helps.

Guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask but can anyone give me tips on photographing a moving baby? I use the Fuji X10 and when she's still it gives me fantastic pics but most of the time she moves just as I'm taking the pic and it blurs out. Should I try and used a fixed focus instead so I don't have to wait for the camera to focus? Or a really high shutter speed? I'm usually shooting indoors under regular light bulbs so there's a moderate amount of light.

It looks like the flash mode is set to "slow sync." Try taking photos using the other modes and report back.

Flo_Evans

This is kind of tricky with the x10 (I might have to look at mine when I get home)

The camera is trying to do a balanced fill flash (and preserve the background lighting) it is basically choosing a low shutter speed and firing a weak flash.

I know there are some guided modes in there for "kids" but I am not sure how they work exactly.

You may have to raise ISO to get a decent shutter speed, switch to spot metering so it ignores the background. You may also want to get a more powerful external flash unit.

tino

Banned
The equipment required to take good photo of moving object indoor is not cheap.

In your case, I would suggest turn on all the lights, set the camera to continuous shooting and just go to town. After that, pick 10-20% of the usable photos.

Flo_Evans

Thanks for all the great replies guys, plenty of good advice there to get me started. Much appreciated!

eh I see you are banned but maybe you will read this.

The X10 seems to go into low sync mode by default on all settings. Most cameras will default to 1/60th shutter speed when the flash is on.

I recommend setting it to "S" (shutter priority) and picking 1/125+ speed with the flash on. This should eliminate the ghosting you are seeing. The built in flash should be powerful enough to manage that even in dim lit indoor shots (at baby distance at least...)

I also like to do noise reduction -1 (I find the noise reduction rather aggressive) and auto-ISO 800. Anything more and the sensor is pretty noisy and you have to up the NR making a blurry mess.

gcubed

I miss it dearly. Be careful...once you start shooting with a full frame, you'll never want to go back to crop, EVER.

I'd like to say, and in the nicest way possible. You sir are an ass. :)

I've used film SLRs in the distant past stepped through higher grade point and shoots, dabbled in a DSLR I borrowed but never had the time to invest in. I borrowed my friends old 5D (he just got his mkIII body in) and holy shit does it take beautiful pictures... and holy shit is it expensive.

I should be getting my refund amount in a week or so, crossing fingers

JDeluis

So I'm still having problem on how I'm going to spend money on the new DSLR. I was originally going to either pick up a Canon 60D or what ever new camera replaces it. But knowing that whatever new camera comes out will be $400 -600 more. I'm thinking of just picking up either a 60D or a 7D right now. I am upgrading from a Canon Rebel XT (350D)

I am just having trouble deciding if its worth spending $400 more for a 7D. Fry's has the 7D (Body Only) for $1088.91 with tax(I'm in Los Angeles) or I can get a 60D (Body Only) from B&H with a free memory card for $700. I tried out both cameras at the store and like the feel of both cameras. The big advantage on the 60D is flip out screen. Don't really know if I'll use it a lot but it looks nice to have. On the 7D the burst mode is awesome, sound like a machine gun LOL.

I have till tomorrow to take advantage of the 7D offer at Fry's. I just don't know why I'm having such a difficult time deciding. When I bought my Rebel XT I paid almost $1000 for the kit about 7 years ago. Guess spending more money is difficult when you have a 5 month old.

So I'm still having problem on how I'm going to spend money on the new DSLR. I was originally going to either pick up a Canon 60D or what ever new camera replaces it. But knowing that whatever new camera comes out will be $400 -600 more. I'm thinking of just picking up either a 60D or a 7D right now. I am upgrading from a Canon Rebel XT (350D)

I am just having trouble deciding if its worth spending $400 more for a 7D. Fry's has the 7D (Body Only) for $1088.91 with tax(I'm in Los Angeles) or I can get a 60D (Body Only) from B&H with a free memory card for $700. I tried out both cameras at the store and like the feel of both cameras. The big advantage on the 60D is flip out screen. Don't really know if I'll use it a lot but it looks nice to have. On the 7D the burst mode is awesome, sound like a machine gun LOL.

I have till tomorrow to take advantage of the 7D offer at Fry's. I just don't know why I'm having such a difficult time deciding. When I bought my Rebel XT I paid almost $1000 for the kit about 7 years ago. Guess spending more money is difficult when you have a 5 month old.

The 7D also has the better autofocus system (19 cross-type), has 100% viewfinder coverage and is weather sealed. It uses CF cards, which are usually a bit more expensive than SD cards.

But in terms of image quality, I don't think there's a difference. So maybe the money is better spent on glass.

JDeluis

The 7D also has the better autofocus system (19 cross-type), has 100% viewfinder coverage and is weather sealed. It uses CF cards, which are usually a bit more expensive than SD cards.

But in terms of image quality, I don't think there's a difference. So maybe the money is better spent on glass.

Thanks. Couldn't resist and picked up the 7D. Have not opened it yet. Box is a little damaged, but I won't be taking the box out in the field :)

485B5E4C-99E8-48EF-846D-CD95AA35CAD7-12452-000007298A421017.jpg

I know for sure I'll be using this camera for more than 5 years, I took advantage and got the best for what I could afford. I've also just recently bought Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4, to go along with my canon 70-200 f/4 and 50 f/1.8.

Now I just need extra battery and a bigger and faster compact flash to take advantage of this bad boy! Any suggestions?

Is there a point and shoot with close to the quality and size of the RX100 without its $600-650 cost? I am looking for a P&S to have on me casually when I don't have my DSLR.

Is there a point and shoot with close to the quality and size of the RX100 without its $600-650 cost? I am looking for a P&S to have on me casually when I don't have my DSLR.

DPReview had some feature about the top class p&s: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot S110
Fujfilm X10
Fujifilm XF1
Nikon Coolpix P7700
Olympus XZ-2
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Samsung EX2F
Sony RX100

sfedai0

Banned
So I'll be taking a 4 wek trip throughout SE asia and bringing my T2i with me. Im looking to bring one all around lens with me. I would prefer to keep my budget under 500, but that 17-55 is what I would really like. What would you guys recommend?

Im on the same boat here, really want the S, but its just too much money for what I would be getting extra over my regular X100, I will probably skip the S and either wait for the next iteration or a used S.

I dont really ever shoot with manual focus and the new autofocus is probably mind blowing but the current one hasnt really made me miss that many shoots to justify the $800 investment.

i've been waiting for an X100 update for ages, and after playing with the S at CES i can say it's the real deal. hard to tell how the AF will be in low light, but on the show floor it was shockingly fast. love the pseudo-rangefinder image-blending MF thing, too.

i'm going to have to control myself really hard not to buy one of these things. almost tempted to sell my NEX-7 to fund it.

Thanks. Couldn't resist and picked up the 7D. Have not opened it yet. Box is a little damaged, but I won't be taking the box out in the field :)

485B5E4C-99E8-48EF-846D-CD95AA35CAD7-12452-000007298A421017.jpg

I know for sure I'll be using this camera for more than 5 years, I took advantage and got the best for what I could afford. I've also just recently bought Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4, to go along with my canon 70-200 f/4 and 50 f/1.8.

Now I just need extra battery and a bigger and faster compact flash to take advantage of this bad boy! Any suggestions?

You'll be soo happy with this Camera!
Yeah buy the canon battery grip. It's like you'll enevr run out of juice.
Sigma 30mm is really wonderfull (1.4!!).
I have your Sigma 17-70 too.

RuGalz

I have my eyes on these personally. Getting one for my GF to carry when I don't have my DSLR. :D But RX100 price may drop soon enough (mid year) that I'd still pick that over any of these.

Pentax MX-1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Olympus XZ-2

So I'll be taking a 4 wek trip throughout SE asia and bringing my T2i with me. Im looking to bring one all around lens with me. I would prefer to keep my budget under 500, but that 17-55 is what I would really like. What would you guys recommend?

The 18-135mm STM has the best focal range, but I wasn't too impressed with it as a lens and sold it off soon after buying my t4i. That 17-55 seems to be too expensive for you. Instead of that, I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50mm (non VC). That's my walk around lens and I love it.

Having fun with some of my mom's gear:
yq3RVl.jpg

100-400mm with two 2x extenders on a crop sensor. The extenders make it manual focus and f/11. It's pretty intense, even with the IS. Somehow my mom has gotten useable shots HANDHELD with this...

JDeluis

You'll be soo happy with this Camera!
Yeah buy the canon battery grip. It's like you'll enevr run out of juice.
Sigma 30mm is really wonderfull (1.4!!).
I have your Sigma 17-70 too.

From the little I've played with the camera, it so advance and awesome!

As for the battery grip, I had one on my XT and it helped a lot. On the 7D I'm not so sure yet. Camera is already huge. :)

In the future my next lens will be shorter prime. Right now I want to purchase a light stand and an umbrella.

sfedai0

Banned
The 18-135mm STM has the best focal range, but I wasn't too impressed with it as a lens and sold it off soon after buying my t4i. That 17-55 seems to be too expensive for you. Instead of that, I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50mm (non VC). That's my walk around lens and I love it.

What about the Sigma version? Hows the build quality of the Tamron? Is it sharp wide open?

Ember128

Well the lubrication problem for the D600 (bad excuses I've received directly from Nikon) has meant my "start from scratch" option means I will be looking at the canon overall system now. Seeing as my trip is in 3 months a decision has to be made now. Out of the these 3 Canon models for landscape and video around Europe, which one is more appropriate? 5D Mark II or 5D Mark III or 6D. Approx 5-6K budget with glass.

I've done my own extensive research but would like to know the road others would take if they had their time again and they had to choose as of 2013.

I'm starting from scratch, so at the moment I have no equipment from either company. This is an investment, so I'm obviously leaning more toward glass than body. Though I would very much like a good compromise.
Cheers
If you can spend the extra $400 on the 6D instead of a 5DMKII, it is worth it. New sensor, gapless microlenses on the sensor, new image processor, much cleaner camera. And lighter for travel.
The kit 24-105L will be lighter and image stabilized compared to a 24-70, and a 70-200L F4 non-IS is a the sharpest of all the 70-200's, and only like $715 or so.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm going to get a point and shoot. I think I've found the one I want, The canon sx260 hs. Anyone used one or have a better option? Looking to spend upto $350.

nick nacc

Banned
Guys I am about to shoot a baby delivery. Sadly I only have a manual 50mm 1.4 on hand. It's also on a dx body. Should I just use the 18-50 kit lense (Nikon d3200 by the way) or should I take some risks with manual focusing on the better lense? It feels like a 80mm lense on this thing

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Guys I am about to shoot a baby delivery. Sadly I only have a manual 50mm 1.4 on hand. It's also on a dx body. Should I just use the 18-50 kit lense (Nikon d3200 by the way) or should I take some risks with manual focusing on the better lense? It feels like a 80mm lense on this thing

I'd go with the kit zoom. In a delivery room you are going to be kind of in the way (as I remember from a year ago today, yay!) and the more flexibility you got the better.

tino

Banned
LOL "Kodak"
(the company that licensed Kodak's brand)
is going to start selling m4/3 cameras.

They are doing better than "Polaroid".

tino

Banned
Guys, I need to print some one off family photos in small 5x7, 8.5X11 sizes to put in small frames. What's the best (in term of photo accuracy and long lasting) photo printing service I can get online? I haven't print in at least 5 years.

Also, what's the biggest print I can made from this drawing? (800x968px)

So my Canon S95 bit the dust. It's freezing randomly and doesn't turn on all the time. $160 to get it fixed by Canon... pretty absurd when you can get an updated version if you're willing to pay a bit more.

Now in the market for a camera. This time around, I'll probably go with something a little bigger - better performing. Loved the pocketability but it always felt tiny in my hands.

I'm sure the S100 shares the same lense problems I had with my S95. Literally a year after I bought, I started having lense errors as well. Makes me wary of getting another from the same line.

I'm not touching the s100 with all the lense problems people have with it. Maybe I'll drop a little more for the s110.

So my Canon S95 bit the dust. It's freezing randomly and doesn't turn on all the time. $160 to get it fixed by Canon... pretty absurd when you can get an updated version if you're willing to pay a bit more.

Now in the market for a camera. This time around, I'll probably go with something a little bigger - better performing. Loved the pocketability but it always felt tiny in my hands.

You might want to keep an eye out for deals on older models of micro 4/3 cameras. Some of them go on sale for ridiculously cheap- less money than the high-end compacts, and better performance.

paskowitz

GAF, I do not have the money for a full frame DSLR. I have some credit on Amazon and I would like to buy through them. Right now it seems like the best options are either the Nikon D5200 or the D7000. Anyone who owns or has used either of these cameras care to share their thoughts? Thanks.

Iacobellis

GAF, I do not have the money for a full frame DSLR. I have some credit on Amazon and I would like to buy through them. Right now it seems like the best options are either the Nikon D5200 or the D7000. Anyone who owns or has used either of these cameras care to share their thoughts? Thanks.

D7000 is an extra $100 right? I think you'll get more bang for your buck that way, but the 7100 might come out this year.

EDIT: It's a little more, my bad. I was looking at the body only prices.

Help with getting a telephoto lens for my canon.
70-200 F4 non IS vs 70-200 F4 IS.

I like to keep it in the $500 range, but if IS is that much more important, then I might have to wait to save up. Any ideas?

RuGalz

Help with getting a telephoto lens for my canon.
70-200 F4 non IS vs 70-200 F4 IS.

I like to keep it in the $500 range, but if IS is that much more important, then I might have to wait to save up. Any ideas?

IMO, you pretty much want IS for long range lenses like that unless you are pretty sure you will be under bright sun or on tripod all the time.

daycru

I want to buy a camera for a weight loss book with progress photos. What should be looking for and how much am I looking to spend for something good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom