• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony is releasing 18-200mm powerzoom and a 20mm f/2.8 pancake E-mount lenses soon. Hopefully the performance on that 20mm is amazing cuz the 19mm Sigma is less than a third of the cost, however it is pretty damn large.

ETxYeFI.png

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913561-REG/sony_sel20f28_20mm_f_2_8_alpha_e_mount.html/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913563-REG/sony_selp_18200_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_pz_oss.html/

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sony is releasing 18-200mm powerzoom and a 20mm f/2.8 pancake E-mount lenses soon. Hopefully the performance on that 20mm is amazing cuz the 19mm Sigma is less than a third of the cost, however it is pretty damn large.

ETxYeFI.png

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913561-REG/sony_sel20f28_20mm_f_2_8_alpha_e_mount.html/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913563-REG/sony_selp_18200_18_200mm_f_3_5_6_3_pz_oss.html/

Holy hell if that actually works well I'll be the first to jump in and grab a NEX. I badly want to jump on the Mirrorless waggon, but I have just not liked anything I've seen so far. I want to be able to enjoy my trips without a DSLR strapped to my neck, but so far the lenses on the Mirrorless camera's are just as annoying to tote around. I want an all purpose pancake lens.

Edit: does anyone have any reviews or experiences with this 16-50mm Retractable Zoom lens, seems its size is perfect for an all purpose travel lens: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666487151

The 16-50mm powerzoom is decent, but apparently not as good as a performer as the 18-55mm kit lens (no surprise really). It has a pretty fair amount of distortion at the wide angle, but the new trend with E-mount lenses seems to be for Sony to compromise optics for physical dimensions now that so many shortcomings can be corrected via software (either in-camera for JPGs or in RAW converters). It's not a perfect situation, but that's the compromise you have to make with these types of cameras.

My biggest concern about the 16-50mm is that due to it being collapsible, it takes almost 2 seconds for you to be able to snap your first shot from power-on, which is a definite downer for me.

RuGalz

The 16-50mm powerzoom is decent, but apparently not as good as a performer as the 18-55mm kit lens (no surprise really). It has a pretty fair amount of distortion at the wide angle, but the new trend with E-mount lenses seems to be for Sony to compromise optics for physical dimensions now that so many shortcomings can be corrected via software (either in-camera for JPGs or in RAW converters). It's not a perfect situation, but that's the compromise you have to make with these types of cameras.

My biggest concern about the 16-50mm is that due to it being collapsible, it takes almost 2 seconds for you to be able to snap your first shot from power-on, which is a definite downer for me.

1200 dollars lens that doesn't perform as good as kit lens? That's pretty sad tbh.

tino

Banned

I play with one in B&H. It behave exactly like a consumer P&S zoom. Slow molass zoom.

Pagusas

Elden Member
^^
Huh? Fuji has a better and faster 18mm pancakeanyway.

Damn! Missed that!

I didnt know about the fuji. My experiance with pancake lenses has been limited to only Canon, and I found there 40mm to be slow and not worth it, at least when its attached to 60D.

tino

Banned
I didnt know about the fuji. My experiance with pancake lenses has been limited to only Canon, and I found there 40mm to be slow and not worth it, at least when its attached to 60D.

Thats the price you pay for being compact. Although Pentax pancakes focus fast because the motor is inside the SLR body.

Well, I got my EOS back plate mount for the Minolta Rokkor X 58mm 1.2. I now have a beautiful lens for about $87. I cannot wait to take this beauty out.

I played around with both the 24-70mm nikon amd 70-200mm nikon lens on the d600. I left the shop as if I was saying goodbye to a family member. I may even have had tears... So good :(

nick nacc

Banned
So I recently got some money and I used to be into the d7000, but then I realized I'm going to go full frame. so I have about 1200 to spend in the body. I have no brand loyalties nor family with lenses and stuff like that. I am pretty sure my best options are the mark 2 or the d700. What do you guys think?

milsorgen

Banned
For a beginner interested in photography, are dslr still the best place to jump in? With mirrorless, micro 4/3 and Sony's NEX i'm not really sure what to do.

My budget is probably around £400 at the most. I've had a look at somethings, the Nikon D3100 looks quite good but as I said before I'm not really sure what to do.

Get an SLR, full frame if you can.

Zyzyxxz

I've bought a body and a lens on the Fred Miranda forum and had good experiences

Same I've bought most of my lenses from there, you have to pay in order to list on the site so the chances of being scammed are very low. In general most of the users on the site are either pros or serious enthusiasts so they take care of their gear in general.

Guys, what would you recommend in cable releases these days? I've just bought a cheapie online for the meantime to test it out, but I'm wondering if its worth spending the coin on a Canon branded one. I'll use it mainly for long exposure stuff.

Also, what are some of the better photography forums out there?

Guys, what would you recommend in cable releases these days? I've just bought a cheapie online for the meantime to test it out, but I'm wondering if its worth spending the coin on a Canon branded one. I'll use it mainly for long exposure stuff.

Also, what are some of the better photography forums out there?

I bought the Canon one but rarely use it. As far as forums, Photography on the net, which is a nice Canon forum that's very active. I like MFLenses which isn't that active but has a lot of great information on vintage glass. Pentaxforums as well though they are Pentax centric.

nitewulf

Holy hell if that actually works well I'll be the first to jump in and grab a NEX. I badly want to jump on the Mirrorless waggon, but I have just not liked anything I've seen so far. I want to be able to enjoy my trips without a DSLR strapped to my neck, but so far the lenses on the Mirrorless camera's are just as annoying to tote around. I want an all purpose pancake lens.

the Panny 20mm f1.7 for m43 is one of the best lenses i have used in my life. extremely well reviewed and cheap.

panasonic_20mm-538x400.jpg

gcubed

ha, i've been looking for the same thing for different purposes, i've looked multiple times at the lowepro passport sling and haven't yet decided if i can fully rid it of its girl bag heritage... although its perfect for a city walk with a zoom and a prime in the padding.

it was between that one, the one you posted and the tamrac velocity 9x

I bought the Canon one but rarely use it. As far as forums, Photography on the net, which is a nice Canon forum that's very active. I like MFLenses which isn't that active but has a lot of great information on vintage glass. Pentaxforums as well though they are Pentax centric.

Fred Miranda is a good forum with civil discussion and a lot of advanced users. They have very active Canon/Nikon-focused forums. Rangefinderforum is a good place to go if you're interested in mirrorless cameras. GetDPI is another good forum for mirrorless and legacy glass.

Awesome suggestions, Fred Miranda and PonN are fantastic. Thanks!

Also, what would you recommend in Canon-compatible wide angle lenses? I'm shooting with a 600D

So lenses... I have the kit lens that came with the d600 (24-85mm) and it's alright. Focus is somewhat slow and it's not the sharpest of lenses. If I am content with it does the 24-70mm 2.8 make sense? I am looking for premium glass to be my go to lens. I am interested in landscapes, nature, but also portraits. Is there one lens that could pull them both off?

I have the kit lens that came with the d600 (24-85mm) and it's alright. Focus is somewhat slow and it's not the sharpest of lenses. If I am content with it does the 24-70mm 2.8 make sense?

I haven't used one but the specs and pictures and similar lenses make me think it's stupidly heavy. It is twice the weight and longer than your 24-85. If that's OK, go for it.

While I sometimes wish for a zoom, I am very happy with my primes.

Forsete

For a second there I felt dead.

My E mount 24mm Ziess was missing from the photo bag. I would never misplace such an lens.

5 minutes of fear later, I found it in another photo bag (which I never use).. I do not remember putting it there, but at least it was recovered. PUH. Never again!

GAF, I am looking to get started on digital photography. My father has some experience, and he narrowed 'noob-friendly' list down to

Sony A37K
Nikon DS3100
Canon EOS 1100D

They are all around the same price. I will be picking them in HK, where they should be ~300EUR.

Picks?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
For a second there I felt dead.

My E mount 24mm Ziess was missing from the photo bag. I would never misplace such an lens.

5 minutes of fear later, I found it in another photo bag (which I never use).. I do not remember putting it there, but at least it was recovered. PUH. Never again!

ha. i do this all the time. the downside of having multiple bags.

Thraktor

GAF, I am looking to get started on digital photography. My father has some experience, and he narrowed 'noob-friendly' list down to

Sony A37K
Nikon DS3100
Canon EOS 1100D

They are all around the same price. I will be picking them in HK, where they should be ~300EUR.

Picks?

I'd say they're all going to perform pretty similarly. Go to a camera shop and see if you can pick them up and give them a try, then choose whichever's most comfortable to you.

why doesn't this thread have a single post compiling information for people new to camera equipment and photography who want to get stated on it as a new hobby?

So, I picked up an older (80's) 70-210mm ef lens at a thrift store. Looking at reviews, it is a good quality lens. My conundrum is that I have the current 55-250mm IS and all that, but I'm not sure if I should sell that or sell this one. Any opinions?

Here, I'll handle that for you:

Buy a camera and take photos with it.

That's too complicated. Simple it up a bit.

hypernima

Banned
Any Nikon heads here? Currently using a Nikon Series E 50mm I love the quality of the lens but I'd really like a lens like this but with zoom, if anyone familar with this or know any good ones could suggest some I'd really appreciate it.

Fivefold

Banned
why doesn't this thread have a single post compiling information for people new to camera equipment and photography who want to get stated on it as a new hobby?

Gear recommendations and guides are just an excuse for people to spend money or justify purchases, any entry level mirrorless or dslr will enable you to take amazing pictures, unless you want to photograph sports or wildlife, in which case you're not new anyway so you know what youre doing.

Best thing you can do as someone new to photography is to buy something and start shooting, and stay the fuck away from photography forums. Read some guides if you want, but don't interact with "photographers" online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom