• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, I'll handle that for you:

Buy a camera and take photos with it.

are you trying to look cool? You already own the damn website, you won -___-

Most other official threads have lots of information in the first post about the topic of the thread, this doesn't. it should.

teiresias

So I'm wanting to get into doing more flash work, particularly off-camera and shots using more than one flash. Sticking to speedlights I think since I already have a SB-600 (which I've used on camera with a home-built diffuser to decent effect), but thinking of buying a Yongnuo 565ex to compliment it.

Has anyone ever bought one of those starter kits that Strobist links to in his Lighting 101 articles? They include an umbrella light stand, and some other tidbits. Thinking of getting the compact one.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
are you trying to look cool? You already own the damn website, you won -___-

Most other official threads have lots of information in the first post about the topic of the thread, this doesn't. it should.

See fivefold's post above yours. The worst thing to do is get obsessed with equipment when you're just starting out, looking for the best possible solution so that you're not losing out on any potential for your photos. Before you know it you're buying a 1DX for no apparent reason.

Famous photos throughout most of modern history have been shot with a camera shittier in most ways than what you likely have in your smartphone. There is zero barrier for entry in photography now, so take a camera, any camera, and start taking photos with it. After 1,000 or 10,000 photos, you'll have an idea of what you want. "I want shallow depth of field for portraiture." "I want crisp, noise-free landscape photos at dawn/dusk." "I want a flexible system that can handle any task reasonably well and I don't mind bulk."

You'll find out what your needs really are, and then you can seek out the right tools for you. After you go take a camera, any camera, and use it.

Holy hell if that actually works well I'll be the first to jump in and grab a NEX. I badly want to jump on the Mirrorless waggon, but I have just not liked anything I've seen so far. I want to be able to enjoy my trips without a DSLR strapped to my neck, but so far the lenses on the Mirrorless camera's are just as annoying to tote around. I want an all purpose pancake lens.

Edit: does anyone have any reviews or experiences with this 16-50mm Retractable Zoom lens, seems its size is perfect for an all purpose travel lens: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666487151

The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is the best mirrorless pancake lens by most accounts. The focus speed sucks but it's sharper and faster than any native NEX lens and its works on either Panasonic or Olympus micro 4/3 bodies.

Damaged

The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is the best mirrorless pancake lens by most accounts. The focus speed sucks but it's sharper and faster than any native NEX lens and its works on either Panasonic or Olympus micro 4/3 bodies.

Used one on an Olympus EPL1 last year and loved it, great little lens.

Any Nikon heads here? Currently using a Nikon Series E 50mm I love the quality of the lens but I'd really like a lens like this but with zoom, if anyone familar with this or know any good ones could suggest some I'd really appreciate it.

The 28-70 f/2.8 is supposed to be fantastic, but I can't afford it.

Has anyone ever bought one of those starter kits that Strobist links to in his Lighting 101 articles? They include an umbrella light stand, and some other tidbits. Thinking of getting the compact one.

I have an equivalent Westcott kit. Would've bought the kit from Midwest if I didn't get this one for Christmas. I've been quite happy with the additional options I have other than just bounced flash.

Using it with an SB600.

Gear recommendations and guides are just an excuse for people to spend money or justify purchases, any entry level mirrorless or dslr will enable you to take amazing pictures, unless you want to photograph sports or wildlife, in which case you're not new anyway so you know what youre doing.

Best thing you can do as someone new to photography is to buy something and start shooting, and stay the fuck away from photography forums. Read some guides if you want, but don't interact with "photographers" online.

Why do you say that?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
From my perspective, depending on the community, it can encourage gear-aquisition over skill development. Happens with guitarists too (another hobby of mine).

I agree with this. A lot of the gear centric forums (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Mirrorless etc) are more concerned with new lenses and camera news. Of course one could peruse the sub-forums that focus on certain subjects and styles but gear forums are the siren calls of photo message boards.

teiresias

I have an equivalent Westcott kit. Would've bought the kit from Midwest if I didn't get this one for Christmas. I've been quite happy with the additional options I have other than just bounced flash.

Using it with an SB600.

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the kit. The umbrella included is actually a Westcott umbrella anyway. Now I just need to get another speedlight to pair with my SB600, though I think I have an old manual Sunpak sitting in a drawer somewhere, and though I don't think it has optical slave capability, the kit included a wireless trigger so I can probably get by with that to start (though I'm unclear whether I can use my D90s built-in flash as a commander to optically slave the SB600 and at the same time use a wireless trigger for the Sunpak . . . hmmm, have to pull out the manual). The Yongnuo 565ex that supports Nikon iTTL and has optical slave is nice too. Not wanting to invest in an RF wireless system until I feel I actually need it.

entremet

Any Sony RX100 owners here? I just want a great compact camera that will last me for years and this one seems head and shoulders above the rest.

I've looked in DSLRs, but they are too bulky for me to ever take them out outside of travel.

giga

Gear recommendations and guides are just an excuse for people to spend money or justify purchases, any entry level mirrorless or dslr will enable you to take amazing pictures, unless you want to photograph sports or wildlife, in which case you're not new anyway so you know what youre doing.

Best thing you can do as someone new to photography is to buy something and start shooting, and stay the fuck away from photography forums. Read some guides if you want, but don't interact with "photographers" online.
That doesn't mean he can't be directed to the best options for a certain price point. There are tons of ILC or SLR options under similar price categories. Beginners, I'm sure, have no idea where to start or what would be the best for their money.

The OP in this thread is definitely severely lacking.

See fivefold's post above yours. The worst thing to do is get obsessed with equipment when you're just starting out, looking for the best possible solution so that you're not losing out on any potential for your photos. Before you know it you're buying a 1DX for no apparent reason.

Famous photos throughout most of modern history have been shot with a camera shittier in most ways than what you likely have in your smartphone. There is zero barrier for entry in photography now, so take a camera, any camera, and start taking photos with it. After 1,000 or 10,000 photos, you'll have an idea of what you want. "I want shallow depth of field for portraiture." "I want crisp, noise-free landscape photos at dawn/dusk." "I want a flexible system that can handle any task reasonably well and I don't mind bulk."

You'll find out what your needs really are, and then you can seek out the right tools for you. After you go take a camera, any camera, and use it.

This is actually rather brilliant advice. I am a novice photographer at best, and I made the mistake of trying to go all-in at first. I wanted wide-angle lenses, macro-lenses, tele-photo lenses etc, to have all bases covered. But when I went out and shot I realized I had a real interest in wide-angle/landscape photography and that's where my passion lies. There's little point in my spending hundreds of dollars on lenses that will rarely be used.

So yes, take the advice. Whatever camera you have, go out and shoot and explore. You'll soon realise where your passion lies in photography. That's when the fun begins and you can start spending the money. =)

Any Sony RX100 owners here? I just want a great compact camera that will last me for years and this one seems head and shoulders above the rest.

I've looked in DSLRs, but they are too bulky for me to ever take them out outside of travel.

Assuming you have no qualms about the price, you should get one if you're looking for the best compact camera out there. It produces astonishing quality photos for a compact.

Danoss

Who said it had to be a gear guide? That would actually be a bad thing. Most photo forums are filled to the brim with gear obsession and sadly, this is no different.

Pointing out a starting point for budding photographers to understand how to correctly operate the equipment they do own so they can experiment on their own would be great. Even it if its "buy Understanding Exposure to learn how to operate your camera, and buy The Photographer's Eye to understand composition".

I think sending someone out to just shoot stuff is far from the best advice to give someone. Even a basic explanation of the "exposure triangle" would be infinitely more helpful advice than that. Lots of people here are buying their first SLR, which may be overwhelming for them, and to dismiss them and say "go off and figure it out yourself" is rather mean and counter-productive to the existence of this thread.

This thread is hurt by the fact that it became a OT out of a "help me buy a new camera" thread.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Who said it had to be a gear guide? That would actually be a bad thing. Most photo forums are filled to the brim with gear obsession and sadly, this is no different.

Pointing out a starting point for budding photographers to understand how to correctly operate the equipment they do own so they can experiment on their own would be great. Even it if its "buy Understanding Exposure to learn how to operate your camera, and buy The Photographer's Eye to understand composition".

I think sending someone out to just shoot stuff is far from the best advice to give someone. Even a basic explanation of the "exposure triangle" would be infinitely more helpful advice than that. Lots of people here are buying their first SLR, which may be overwhelming for them, and to dismiss them and say "go off and figure it out yourself" is rather mean and counter-productive to the existence of this thread.

This thread is hurt by the fact that it became a OT out of a "help me buy a new camera" thread.

This *is* a thread about camera equipment. Not used to be, *is*. It is not the catch-all all-inclusive vortex of photography-related information ultra-megathread. You're welcome to start a new thread about the basics of getting into photography. This thread should not be repurposed.

Danoss

This *is* a thread about camera equipment. Not used to be, *is*. It is not the catch-all all-inclusive vortex of photography-related information ultra-megathread. You're welcome to start a new thread about the basics of getting into photography. This thread should not be repurposed.

Am I mistaken in thinking that 'how to use said camera equipment' is related to the camera equipment itself? Questions like that crop up all the time in this thread, should they be quelled and directed to start a new thread?

Can anyone recommend a few composition books to read? I see the Photographer's Eye mentioned, and I've downloaded a sample, but bloody hell is it dry. I'll try and push through it though.

Menelaus

Banned
Am I mistaken in thinking that 'how to use said camera equipment' is related to the camera equipment itself? Questions like that crop up all the time in this thread, should they be quelled and directed to start a new thread?

That is the photographic method, and a philosophy of sorts, and not at all related to camera hardware.

Danoss

That is the photographic method, and a philosophy of sorts, and not at all related to camera hardware.

I assure you that the functions of ISO, aperture and shutter speed are not philosophies. Each serves a specific function and is tied entirely to the hardware.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can anyone recommend a few composition books to read? I see the Photographer's Eye mentioned, and I've downloaded a sample, but bloody hell is it dry. I'll try and push through it though.

Instead of being overwhelmed by theory by reading it cover to cover, treat it like a workbook. Read a few examples, then go out and replicate them on your own, then review and move on to the next set. Not only practical training, but you're sure to get some good photos out of it too.

tino

Banned
Maybe people who hang out in this thread should each write a short paragraph for the newbies and put them on the first post. Limit the word count so each one have to put in the most essential advise to beginner.

I think its better than getting someone to "do" an OT post. Photo gears are like cars, every person have a personal opinion.

Maybe people who hang out in this thread should each write a short paragraph for the newbies and put them on the first post. Limit the word count so each one have to put in the most essential advise to beginner.

I think its better than getting someone to "do" an OT post. Photo gears are like cars, every person have a personal opinion.

Except after the first page noone really checks the OP of threads. If someone wants to create a thread for technique then said person should take EL's advice and do so. Trying to do so here will just get lost in the fluff.

gcubed

I found, besides understanding what aperture, iso and shutter speed are and what they do/how they interact, the best way is to take a bunch of pictures. Do you want to get off of auto? Take pictures, learn the settings that get you the look you want in the environment your shooting in. Review them out of the camera but just shoot. If you are learning, one of the best things i did that photographer told me was to turn your picture review to off. You'll get a ton of throwaways but you'll learn the settings faster. I'm still as beginner

tino

Banned
Except after the first page noone really checks the OP of threads. If someone wants to create a thread for technique then said person should take EL's advice and do so. Trying to do so here will just get lost in the fluff.

I don't care about it either, but there were actually a couple posters asked about it (usually they are too lazy to read the most recent discussion, because if they do they should see the same questions being asked in the last 3 pages.)

I am fine either way. People who do research before asking the questions usually get decent answers.

I need a good walk-around lens with excellent sharpness for my 600D. Don't want something with a large zoom. Has to be below 300 in price. Preferably with an equivalent focal length of 30mm or less

Menelaus

Banned
I need a good walk-around lens with excellent sharpness for my 600D. Don't want something with a large zoom. Has to be below 300 in price. Preferably with an equivalent focal length of 30mm or less

Save a little more money and get the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Insanely sharp and super versatile as your only walkabout lens. Holds its resale value well too.

I found, besides understanding what aperture, iso and shutter speed are and what they do/how they interact, the best way is to take a bunch of pictures. Do you want to get off of auto? Take pictures, learn the settings that get you the look you want in the environment your shooting in. Review them out of the camera but just shoot. If you are learning, one of the best things i did that photographer told me was to turn your picture review to off. You'll get a ton of throwaways but you'll learn the settings faster. I'm still as beginner

Agreed. I am a newbie myself and went right to manual. I now understand the concept of small/large aperature, low/high iso, and the shutter speed. I am so tempted to pick up a prime lens but I have to keep reminding myself that like EL said to find what type of photography I am most passionate about before buying the prime. Really the only thing one can do is just go out and shoot. Really is the best advice.

gcubed

Agreed. I am a newbie myself and went right to manual. I now understand the concept of small/large aperature, low/high iso, and the shutter speed. I am so tempted to pick up a prime lens but I have to keep reminding myself that like EL said to find what type of photography I am most passionate about before buying the prime. Really the only thing one can do is just go out and shoot. Really is the best advice.

I definitely research certain situations where I can't figure out what to do. Today was trying to take action shots in poor indoor lighting, I did what I thought was right and read about it afterwards. A kit lens should be enough to narrow down what you want to shoot then you can get the proper lenses... Or at least start selling body parts to save up for them

I find that for every photographer, the rule of thumb is generally 3 useful lenses. So what are your 3 fav lenses that you own or on your wishlist?

Your 3 must have lenses???

Mine:

24-70 2.8L , 85mm 1.2 L prime, 70 - 200 2.8L IS

v0yce

Are there any inexpensive ($100ish) 30 or 35mm legacy lens that are recommended for micro 4/3?

I got a good deal on a GF3 with 14mm pancake for my wife for Christmas and would like to find a cheap lens that allows for a little more expression to help her learn photography.

I know there're plenty of cheap 50mms but that seems like it would be pretty tight on a 4/3.

And just to be clear, the only thing you loose with legacy glass is auto focus right?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I find that for every photographer, the rule of thumb is generally 3 useful lenses. So what are your 3 fav lenses that you own or on your wishlist?

Mine:

24-70 2.8L , 85mm 1.2 L prime, 70 - 200 2.8L IS

I like shooting still objects (statue, house, new controller, macro of a pc componenet, wiring, pipes, a new watch, etc) - honestly don't care too much about anything except speed, sharpness, color, and jpeg output. Give me a single fast prime and/or a macro, and I'm a happy camper.

That said, I agree - find three focal lengths you enjoy and that's a great way to get the ball rolling. But only if you tell yourself that you will learn to enjoy taking every shot with those three - and that you absolutely can't use the "if I only had a 4th lens" excuse for why a photo didn't turn out.

Ptaaty

14-24mm 2.8 , 24-70mm 2.8 , 70-200mm 2.8 vrII. Heh.

I just got a D600...amazing, but I can't spend 6k in lenses.

My compromise for now is:
the kit 24-85mm
50mm 1.8G
70-300mm 4.5-5.6

Without a doubt if I were to pick up one constant 2.8 it would be the 70-200mm 2.8 VRII.

I have a question...how much use is a 14-24 2.8? In particular with a great high ISO body like the D600? To me, I think I would almost never use the larger apertures with wider angles.

I just got a D600...amazing, but I can't spend 6k in lenses.

My compromise for now is:
the kit 24-85mm
50mm 1.8G
70-300mm 4.5-5.6

Without a doubt if I were to pick up one constant 2.8 it would be the 70-200mm 2.8 VRII.

I have a question...how much use is a 14-24 2.8? In particular with a great high ISO body like the D600? To me, I think I would almost never use the larger apertures with wider angles.

I am looking at the 50mm too. Really nice lens. I just love taking pictures outdoors, nature, etc., and the 14-24 seems perfect for. I just love it lol.

dmshaposv

Really loving the Tamron 24-70mm. Really feel I don't want a prime for this focal range now.

I do need an ultra wide and tele, though.

I'd eventually want to get the "rumored" canon 14-24 or save up enough for the TS-E 17mm. The TS-E is such a gorgeous lens man.

For tele I'm debating either 100mm macro L, 85 f1.2 L or 70-200mm f2.8 IS II.

I dont think id ever need a focal length between 135 - 200mm ever (long lenses generally not useful in a city like dubai where things are large and wide in scale and you feel the need to go wider). I just need a nice potrait lens for space compression.

85 1.2 looks so nice, but so expensive. 100mm macro is more plausible, lighter and it has dat macro.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

There seems to be enough demand around that this is at least worth a try, so I've made a start here.

I'm kind of at a loose end waiting for Tim Langdell to do something anyway, and I like updating OPs!

We'll see how it goes ...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 M C-Biogon, Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 M Biogon, Zeiss 50/1.5 C-Biogon

*All of these preferably on a FF body

Gentlemen and ladies, I need your help!

I find that I want to do videos more, so my Ball head (which isn't replacable) on my Manfrotto 7233 CY carbon fiber is not cutting it. Need a new tripod altogether. I'd love to get something similar with carbon lightweight and compact but with 3 way pan for pics and vids. Say 50cm folded like my 7322. Any suggestions? $300 is what I'm looking at, max.

P.S has to be able to take the weight of a 60d gripped and 70-200 lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom