• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Gentlemen and ladies, I need your help!

I find that I want to do videos more, so my Ball head (which isn't replacable) on my Manfrotto 7233 CY carbon fiber is not cutting it. Need a new tripod altogether. I'd love to get something similar with carbon lightweight and compact but with 3 way pan for pics and vids. Say 50cm folded like my 7322. Any suggestions? $300 is what I'm looking at, max.

P.S has to be able to take the weight of a 60d gripped and 70-200 lens.

manfrotto 190cx pro was my first tripod. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015MFTE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
but you'll still need a head.
its reasonably sturdy, i used to use it with a E30 and 70-200 and 150f2

My advice, since there seems to be a lot of new people and all the recommendations of everyone writing advice etc, would be save up and buy a nice tripod and head, or you'll end up spending more in the long run buying multiple cheaper options that frankly will suck or break and then you finally break down and buy a nice tripod.

sikkinixx

I'm no camera buff but I was playing around with the Canon EOS M in store and found myself quite taken by the feel and size of it compared to my XSi. I rarely use the thing due to the size but the M was more akin to a Point - Shoot. At $700 it seems a bit steep but I have a trip to Europe this summer and I don't know if I want to carry around an SLR... I know the M isn't supposed to be too hot (focus wise I noticed it took a bit) but should I be looking at the Sony/Nikon ones? Seems a shame to have to sell the 3 lens (not worth that much mind you) I have though.

Thraktor

I'm no camera buff but I was playing around with the Canon EOS M in store and found myself quite taken by the feel and size of it compared to my XSi. I rarely use the thing due to the size but the M was more akin to a Point - Shoot. At $700 it seems a bit steep but I have a trip to Europe this summer and I don't know if I want to carry around an SLR... I know the M isn't supposed to be too hot (focus wise I noticed it took a bit) but should I be looking at the Sony/Nikon ones? Seems a shame to have to sell the 3 lens (not worth that much mind you) I have though.

I think the Olympus OM-D EM-5 is the generally accepted winner when it comes to mirrorrless autofocus. It's not cheap, but maybe one of their lower-level models might have decent autofocus at a more affordable price.

Zyzyxxz

If you have a lot of money invested in lenses it might be worth it although I would wait for the M2 at the least for them to fix the kinks.

If you want to move to a smaller system consider the Micro 4/3rds. A GF5 or EPL-5 is a nice choice with a 20mm 1.7.

Has anyone got the 6D yet? I'm looking at upgrading my 550D, predominantly shoot video though.

Too early I guess. Played around with it and it feels solid. IMO, Canon slightly dropped the ball on this one. It's a great low light camera, but there has to be more focus points for a FF camera in 2013, and why only 1/4000 max shutter speed is beyond me.

RuGalz

Everybody cringes on small sensors but it certainly has its uses. (i.e. Poor man's Bigma)

This was taken with my mediocre 1.5x converter + 300mm lens, which gives equivalent of 2520mm on a Pentax Q. I was surprised how much detail I could get out of such tiny sensor.

8422995034_378e922f1a_z.jpg

gcubed

Has anyone got the 6D yet? I'm looking at upgrading my 550D, predominantly shoot video though.

i bought it last week since it is on sale. Hard to pass up the price, but there is one big con but it depends on how much of a con it is for you. 1 cross type AF and only 11 points are the biggest drawbacks. Good low light performance is the big plus. If they made a jump to put it at half of what the 5d3 is (instead of keeping it like the 5d2), it would have been so much better.

Zyzyxxz

i bought it last week since it is on sale. Hard to pass up the price, but there is one big con but it depends on how much of a con it is for you. 1 cross type AF and only 11 points are the biggest drawbacks. Good low light performance is the big plus. If they made a jump to put it at half of what the 5d3 is (instead of keeping it like the 5d2), it would have been so much better.

Well they wouldn't want people to buy it over a 5D3 so they gimped it on purpose I assume.

roddur

guys what are micro four third lenses? i know i can google it, but asking here bcos i know u guys can explain it in way i'll understand.

i've been offered a present by my dearest one, thinking of going for the OM-D E-M5. my first choice was nex-5n. but after reading about the olympus one i like it more.

dmshaposv

Avoid it.

It has all the problems of the 5D2 and lacks most of the improvements of the 5DIII. It has noticeable moire and aliasing issues in video.

I went to a philip bloom workshop recently, and he showed us sample footage from the 6D with all the crazy moire issues that were fixed with the 5DIII.

Either pony up and buy a 5DIII (or refurbished for just a couple hundred dollars more from the 6D) or get the Nikon D600.

The 6D is canon being stingy pricks. They gimped the hell out of it by stripping away all the good features of the 5D III and still not giving it the features even the 5DII has (1/8000 shutter).

gcubed

Well they wouldn't want people to buy it over a 5D3 so they gimped it on purpose I assume.

well yes, no one would expect it to be on par with the 5d3, but there is a huge gap between the 5d3 and the 6d in AF points that could have been explored. The 6D is more like a 5D2+

Avoid it.

It has all the problems of the 5D2 and lacks most of the improvements of the 5DIII. It has noticeable moire and aliasing issues in video.

I went to a philip bloom workshop recently, and he showed us sample footage from the 6D with all the crazy moire issues that were fixed with the 5DIII.

Either pony up and buy a 5DIII (or refurbished for just a couple hundred dollars more from the 6D) or get the Nikon D600.

The 6D is canon being stingy pricks. They gimped the hell out of it by stripping away all the good features of the 5D III and still not giving it the features even the 5DII has (1/8000 shutter).

The 6D is ~$1000 less then a refurb 5D3... thats a lot of "couple"s. You call out the only thing its worse on then the 5d2, and currently its the exact same price as a 5D2. the D600 has its own problems to contend with.

Damaged

guys what are micro four third lenses? i know i can google it, but asking here bcos i know u guys can explain it in way i'll understand.

i've been offered a present by my dearest one, thinking of going for the OM-D E-M5. my first choice was nex-5n. but after reading about the olympus one i like it more.

Its a type of lens mount used by Olympus and Lumix on their mirror less cameras. Tends to have more choice of lenses than the NEX cameras. Not played with either the nex-5n or the om-d e-m5 but heard very nice things about the OM-D

roddur

Its a type of lens mount used by Olympus and Lumix on their mirror less cameras. Tends to have more choice of lenses than the NEX cameras. Not played with either the nex-5n or the om-d e-m5 but heard very nice things about the OM-D

so more choices for lenses

tino

Banned
Depends on your budget. Do you really want a $1k body? why don't get a midrange body (like a GX1 or 5n) and then blow the rest of them on a good lens (like a 12-35mm/2.8).

Depends on your budget. Do you really want a $1k body? why don't get a midrange body (like a GX1 or 5n) and then blow the rest of them on a good lens (like a 12-35mm/2.8).

If I were in his shoes, I'd rather blow the rest of the money on quality primes. F2.8 is slow.

For example, he keeps the kit zoom that comes with the camera then buy the Lumix 14 and 20mm and the Zuiko 60mm. He'd still have hundreds of dollars to spare compared to the pricey 12-35mm.

tino

Banned
If I were in his shoes, I'd rather blow the rest of the money on quality primes. F2.8 is slow.

For example, he keeps the kit zoom that comes with the camera then buy the Lumix 14 and 20mm and the Zuiko 60mm. He'd still have hundreds of dollars to spare compared to the pricey 12-35mm.

"If I were him" I would buy a FF heh.

nitewulf

micro four thirds is a mirrorless system of small cameras developed by Panasonic and Olympus, they both produce micro four third lenses for their micro four thirds system cameras.

nitewulf

Avoid it.

actually i'm not sure it's as simple as that. the 6D is noticeably lighter than the 5D series, and has a better sensor than the 5Dm2, and focuses better at low light than most cameras out there. i am actually leaning towards it because of those reasons, a 5dm2 or 5dm3 are just too bulky for me.

35mm no question, used it on my D3100 and use it on my d7000

See I'm just curious because I rented the 50mm when I went on vacation down at Disney and it looked pretty nice taking some pictures;

7353074336_41e39386c7_c.jpg

But is the 35mm really that much better? It does seem it'd be easier to do some up close photography like food and what not.

Damaged

See I'm just curious because I rented the 50mm when I went on vacation down at Disney and it looked pretty nice taking some pictures;

7353074336_41e39386c7_c.jpg

But is the 35mm really that much better? It does seem it'd be easier to do some up close photography like food and what not.

Quality wise they are very similar but 50mm was just too long for me as a walk about lens, great on full frame and 35mm film though. I think 35mm is 52mm equivalent on a crop sensor

dmshaposv

actually i'm not sure it's as simple as that. the 6D is noticeably lighter than the 5D series, and has a better sensor than the 5Dm2, and focuses better at low light than most cameras out there. i am actually leaning towards it because of those reasons, a 5dm2 or 5dm3 are just too bulky for me.

The 6D is definitely an excellent stills camera if that is what you want, but the person I was addressing said he predominantly shot video.

Moire and aliasing ruin good shots, especially stuff in 720p. So getting 6D for video is not the best bet for him. Saving up for a 5dIII might be just a better option, since it is dropping down in price (and will keep dropping).

The 6D is ~$1000 less then a refurb 5D3... thats a lot of "couple"s. You call out the only thing its worse on then the 5d2, and currently its the exact same price as a 5D2. the D600 has its own problems to contend with.

I've seen refurb 5DIIIs going for as low as $2350 - 2400, and if im not wrong the 6D is around $2000?

The 6D is obviously a better camera than the 5DII as it is newer and has a better sensor. But I was merely addressing canon's cheap gimping - in that they didn't put the 1/8000s shutter speed on a full-frame camera aimed at the semi-pr/pro market - when even their mid-level cameras like 60D have it.

I'm sure the D600 has problems (a major one being where you can't change the aperture in live view!) and that is why I didn't end up getting it and saved a little more money to get the mark III. But between the D600, where Nikon has tried to stuff it with as much D800 features for its price range vs. a 6D, where Canon has done the exact opposite of Nikon, I'd go for D600 (as long as Im not invested in canon glass).

gcubed

Well the d600 has the oil splash issue as well. I didn't see the focus on video though, which can be mitigated with some tweaking.

The 6D is 1899 now. I haven't been following the 5D3 prices, just checking to it was ~2550

I'm on the cusp of buying my first DSLR. I'm very excited. I'm going for either a 600D or 650D (T3i/T4i).

It's 50/50 stills and video for me and the Canon's seem ideal for that. I currently own a Finepix S9600 bridge camera which has been pretty good over the years for stills, but completely hopeless for video. I've not had to worry about lens choice either obviously.

So my question is, what is a good 'standard' lens for the Canon? I've been looking at the canon 40mm. Is it any good? My lens budget is £250 - £300.

Recommendations for good memory cards are also welcome.

Thanks.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone have experience with on camera LED video light for use in photography instead of flash? I like the idea of what you see is what you get.

I was thinking about getting this:

http://www.manfrotto.us/midi-plus-36led-panel

t320_43eb1ba3e61d2bd20b421520b73c5b2d.jpg

I'd hate that and it would blind your clients. I hate using our studio lights for photography (as we are primarily a video shop, we rarely do photography and when needed use those lights, which sucks).

tino

Banned
Well the d600 has the oil splash issue as well. I didn't see the focus on video though, which can be mitigated with some tweaking.

The 6D is 1899 now. I haven't been following the 5D3 prices, just checking to it was ~2550

It should have debuted at 2999 anyway. Canon got f-ing greedy.

I bought the Canon 40mm lens the other day. It's really nice. I haven't had a chance to really take it out around town but I used it for my class assignment. Pretty nice and quick. Also, the 50mm lens is so great on the t4i.

Looking to get a new camera, last one i had was the canon 40d a few ywars back. Not really interested in video, and currently looking at the 5dmkII, 7D or 60d. Obviously a price difference here, but i don't need to buy the 5d just because i can afford it, need a smart purchase. Will mainly be used with a 50mm, regular use for family snaps, travelling and skiing.

Advice?

paskowitz

Just got a Nikon D7000 18-105mm for $1080. I used some AMEX points and only paid $380.

Any D7000 owners on GAF? Anything special I should know? Experiences with this camera?

nitewulf

Looking to get a new camera, last one i had was the canon 40d a few ywars back. Not really interested in video, and currently looking at the 5dmkII, 7D or 60d. Obviously a price difference here, but i don't need to buy the 5d just because i can afford it, need a smart purchase. Will mainly be used with a 50mm, regular use for family snaps, travelling and skiing.

Advice?

i'd suggest a 7D with a 35mm prime lens (appartently the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 is the best). that'll get you close to 50mm on a crop, and its an excellent camera. dont go for the 60D, wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the 40D...the 7D ISO performance is much better.

I wonder if Sigma has discontinued the current 19/2.8 and 30/2.8?

Seems like we're headed that way. You can still get both lenses for the price of one at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913513-REG/sigma_19mm_f_2_8_ex_dn.html

The new lenses don't look fun to focus manually. They honestly look like the same lenses with new shells. I don't think they're much smaller, if at all. The only way they could be improved is if they somehow make use of hybrid AF better.

nitewulf

Yea I know but I doubt it's the same league as the 35mm despite the aperture improvement.

it could be if its has the "A" stamping on it for "Artistic", this is their new marketing campaign. on the other hand, having two lenses with almost the same range and same maximum aperture with similar prices might be counter productive, so yeah, the 30mm version could be a cheaper lens.

either way, I hope they create a version of the 35mm f/1.4 for m43, I guess that'd have to be 17.5mm f/1.4,

tino

Banned
it could be if its has the "A" stamping on it for "Artistic", this is their new marketing campaign. on the other hand, having two lenses with almost the same range and same maximum aperture with similar prices might be counter productive, so yeah, the 30mm version could be a cheaper lens.

either way, I hope they create a version of the 35mm f/1.4 for m43, I guess that'd have to be 17.5mm f/1.4,

The 30/1.4 is a APSC lens, the 35/1.4 is a FF lens. Just look at the size difference. Heck just look at the price.

Just because Sigma release one lens that can compete with C/N directly do not automatically make their other lenses better. I still won't recommend Sigma to my friends ahead of Tokina and Tamron.

Sigma reverse engineered the OEM focus mechanism, not licensed them like other guys. Also green coating anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom