• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPARSTARX

I lost the post with answers somewhere but I'll ask again since it was a while ago...

I have a D5100 and Im' looking for a good flash and portrait oriented lenses for a combined amount of $500 and under. Suggestions?

I picked up my 5DMKIII a couple weeks back.

In case anyone was wondering how it is, it's approximately perfect in every way. <3 Would recommend to anyone with a few grand burning a hole in their pocket. I'll post some pics when I have a chance.

I have the Mark 2 and very happy with it. What did you upgrade from?

Enjoy the new camera... the big old bard door sensor does give you allot of picture.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Anyone else hyped for the Fuji x20? I love the x10, my only wants were the black/silver finish and faster startup/shoot times and Fuji have delivered. I've never bought a camera on day 1 before but I'll be lining up for this baby!

This may the P&S I buy. Looking forward to the reviews.

gcubed

just when i got my new camera my computer takes a shit and I have no backup to process RAW images. Yay, i can look at them on my 7" tablet.

I'm looking for a wider lens, not sure if i should jump to a prime or try to find a used Canon 16-35mm. Anyone use the 16-35mm? Its mainly for landscape/outdoor shots, so the f/2.8 could be overkill if i'm looking to save a few bucks

tino

Banned
just when i got my new camera my computer takes a shit and I have no backup to process RAW images. Yay, i can look at them on my 7" tablet.

I'm looking for a wider lens, not sure if i should jump to a prime or try to find a used Canon 16-35mm. Anyone use the 16-35mm? Its mainly for landscape/outdoor shots, so the f/2.8 could be overkill if i'm looking to save a few bucks

If you are good with stitching panoramas you can use a fixed 24mm or 20mm for 80% of the landscape and stitch the remaining 20%. I only recommand this because the a 16-35 is a bit too bulky. I used to do this alot when I was obsessed with superwide shots.

gcubed

If you are good with stitching panoramas you can use a fixed 24mm or 20mm for 80% of the landscape and stitch the remaining 20%. I only recommand this because the a 16-35 is a bit too bulky. I used to do this alot when I was obsessed with superwide shots.

[im1]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3103/2739197816_c2465a5bf0.jpg[/img]

thanks, something to think about, my panorama stitching leaves a bit to be desired, but i could use some practice. I was looking at the 24mm as I have a feeling that i wouldn't necessarily be at 16 often enough... and never really thought about the added bulk, its one of the reason's i love my 50mm. It fits anywhere.

thanks, something to think about, my panorama stitching leaves a bit to be desired, but i could use some practice. I was looking at the 24mm as I have a feeling that i wouldn't necessarily be at 16 often enough... and never really thought about the added bulk, its one of the reason's i love my 50mm. It fits anywhere.

Play with Microsoft ICE if you haven't already done so. It's surprisingly good.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/UM/redmond/groups/IVM/ICE/

Lennington

Neo Member
Anyone else hyped for the Fuji x20? I love the x10, my only wants were the black/silver finish and faster startup/shoot times and Fuji have delivered. I've never bought a camera on day 1 before but I'll be lining up for this baby!

I really want one but the only way I could afford it would be to sell my DSLR + two lenses. And even then at the price for an x20 I'd rather get a used x100.

Hmm... I noticed this thread just as I was posting about getting a new camera. Good thing, too, as the only film camera I had was bricked and can't be used manually.

Given only a budget of around $150 (I can stretch it a bit, but not too far), what's a good point-and-shoot that is:

• Compact enough to fit in a pocket
  • Takes great stills
  • Produces OK video (no need to be awesome, just something better than a 720p-capturing phone - just needs to have much less noise)
  • Good low-light performance (stabilization helps)

My family has requested to NEVER buy used. Can't get around that.

tino

Banned
Hmm... I noticed this thread just as I was posting about getting a new camera. Good thing, too, as the only film camera I had was bricked and can't be used manually.

Given only a budget of around $150 (I can stretch it a bit, but not too far), what's a good point-and-shoot that is:

• Compact enough to fit in a pocket
  • Takes great stills
  • Produces OK video (no need to be awesome, just something better than a 720p-capturing phone - just needs to have much less noise)
  • Good low-light performance (stabilization helps)

My family has requested to NEVER buy used. Can't get around that.

You have 3 options:
Up your budget to 250, you shoule be able to reach the range of refub discontined high end P&S

Tell your family to buy used

Subscript to one of the hot deals mailing list slickdeals forum whatever and snipe whatever camera thats fall into your budget.

Ember128

I have the Mark 2 and very happy with it. What did you upgrade from?

Enjoy the new camera... the big old bard door sensor does give you allot of picture.
Upgraded from a 7D. Hoo boy, do I love the difference!

The most massive difference I see is Flash Fall-Off. Before, when using a flash to blow out a white background to remove all the wrinkles from the sheet in the back for a portrait, it took a half hour to get it close but not quite with a 7D. Blowing out the same background with a full frame? tilted the flash, adjusted the zoom on it, and bam, done. It was amazing.

fat pat

Upgraded from a 7D. Hoo boy, do I love the difference!

The most massive difference I see is Flash Fall-Off. Before, when using a flash to blow out a white background to remove all the wrinkles from the sheet in the back for a portrait, it took a half hour to get it close but not quite with a 7D. Blowing out the same background with a full frame? tilted the flash, adjusted the zoom on it, and bam, done. It was amazing.

stop making me want full frame. STOPPIT

entremet

Is that better than the Sony RX100? I'm debating either.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'd appreciate if you guys could help me out with a choice I need to make.

I've saved about $2.5k for a new camera as my T1i is about to truely die. Its been a great camera that I've enjoyed using through the years and truely helped me get a good grasp for photography and helped me in my video career (which is going great :) ) I've put about $1200 into lenses for it over the years but I am willing to just sell them when the time comes.

But now its time to retire it. A while ago I bought a canon s100 to have for the traveling/trips I've been doing with my family/gf. We love traveling and a full sized DSLR body is just too much to carry around when we are trying to maximize our fun. The s100 has been good for that, but honestly it makes me sorely miss my DSLR thanks to all its weaknesses, the biggest of which is very poor low light performance and the small sensor makes any shallow DOF shots basically impossible.

So here is the dilemma. I want to buy a new camera before I start taking more trips this spring summer, but I cant decide if I should go full DSLR again or go mirror-less. I'm very much leaning towards mirrorless so I can have a great travel cam that can also be used for my personal hobby shooting at home.

What would you guys recommend for a mirroless that will be used pirmarily for Portraits for my hobby and traveling with a lot of low light situations (Caverns, Camping, Around the world stuff eventually). And can you recommend me some good lenses that will fit (body and all) into the $2500 budget?

Ideally I'd like a fast pancake lense for travel, a high quality fast prime lense for shallow DOF shots, and a very sharp portrait lens if possible.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I finally received the Nikon 5200 and it is both excellent and overwhelming. But it takes fantastic photos on auto and 1080 video also is great. Now to get beyond the basics.

nitewulf

What would you guys recommend for a mirroless that will be used pirmarily for Portraits for my hobby and traveling with a lot of low light situations (Caverns, Camping, Around the world stuff eventually). And can you recommend me some good lenses that will fit (body and all) into the $2500 budget?

Ideally I'd like a fast pancake lense for travel, a high quality fast prime lense for shallow DOF shots, and a very sharp portrait lens if possible.

the olympus omd e5 body = $1000
the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake = $350
olympus 45mm f/1.8 = $400 OR
olympus 75mm f/1.8 = $900

if you go for the 45mm, you could also get the awesome olympus 9-18mm for $600 for travelling landscapes.

edit: if you decide on micro four thirds, you should go for the OMD because of its low light performance. it has a new sensor and has very good quality low light performance. alternately the panasonic gx1 is probably the next best current m43 body.

I'd appreciate if you guys could help me out with a choice I need to make.

I've saved about $2.5k for a new camera as my T1i is about to truely die. Its been a great camera that I've enjoyed using through the years and truely helped me get a good grasp for photography and helped me in my video career (which is going great :) ) I've put about $1200 into lenses for it over the years but I am willing to just sell them when the time comes.

But now its time to retire it. A while ago I bought a canon s100 to have for the traveling/trips I've been doing with my family/gf. We love traveling and a full sized DSLR body is just too much to carry around when we are trying to maximize our fun. The s100 has been good for that, but honestly it makes me sorely miss my DSLR thanks to all its weaknesses, the biggest of which is very poor low light performance and the small sensor makes any shallow DOF shots basically impossible.

So here is the dilemma. I want to buy a new camera before I start taking more trips this spring summer, but I cant decide if I should go full DSLR again or go mirror-less. I'm very much leaning towards mirrorless so I can have a great travel cam that can also be used for my personal hobby shooting at home.

If you're going to in adverse conditions while traveling you'll probably want a weatherproof camera. The only mirrorless ones currently are the Olympus OM-D and Panasonic GH3. They're both great cameras, but I think the GH3 is a little overpriced and its larger size takes away one of the mirrorless advantages.

For $2500,

Camera

Olympus OM-D with weatherproof kit lens $1200 (Amazon)

Lenses

Panasonic 25mm f/1.4: low-light fast 50mm equivalent $499 (Amazon)
Panasonic 14mm f/2.5: tiny, high quality wide angle pancake $165 (greymarket on Ebay)
Olympus 45mm f/1.8: tiny, fast portrait prime $399 (Amazon)

Accessories

Extra Battery $50
Body Grip/Battery Holder $299 (weather resistant and quite handy when you want a larger grip or need to carry extra juice)

You'd basically be set for under your budget. The best portrait lens and one of the sharpest lenses to come out recently from any company is the Olympus 75mm; unfortunately it would bust your budget so I'd set that as an aspirational lens down the road. Also, there's a good chance Olympus comes out with some weather resistant fast zooms that this year that should be great as well for traveling.

RuGalz

already beaten

but if you want APS-C DSLR, then Pentax system are pretty agile, weather proof and good high iso performer.
K-30 for lighter weight. K-5s for better handling.

pancake trio: 15mm/f4 or 21mm/f3.2, 40mm/f2.8, 70mm/f2.4. (unfortunately no weather seal on these)
full frame prime trio: 31mm/f1.8, 43mm/f1.9 or 50mm/f1.4, 77mm/f1.8 (no weather seal either but these will blow your budget too)

When I got my 600D, I got the lens kit with it as part of the package. Tonight was the first time I used it, but as I removed it from the camera, I must have misplaced something because as I searched for the lens hood - the only piece I had left was this...

GObkbpX.jpg

sK4pWPY.jpg

Suffice to say it does not fit onto the hood of the lens. So my question is, what is it exactly?

Pagusas

Elden Member
If you're going to in adverse conditions while traveling you'll probably want a weatherproof camera. The only mirrorless ones currently are the Olympus OM-D and Panasonic GH3. They're both great cameras, but I think the GH3 is a little overpriced and its larger size takes away one of the mirrorless advantages.

For $2500,

Camera

Olympus OM-D with weatherproof kit lens $1200 (Amazon)

Lenses

Panasonic 25mm f/1.4: low-light fast 50mm equivalent $499 (Amazon)
Panasonic 14mm f/2.5: tiny, high quality wide angle pancake $165 (greymarket on Ebay)
Olympus 45mm f/1.8: tiny, fast portrait prime $399 (Amazon)

Accessories

Extra Battery $50
Body Grip/Battery Holder $299 (weather resistant and quite handy when you want a larger grip or need to carry extra juice)

You'd basically be set for under your budget. The best portrait lens and one of the sharpest lenses to come out recently from any company is the Olympus 75mm; unfortunately it would bust your budget so I'd set that as an aspirational lens down the road. Also, there's a good chance Olympus comes out with some weather resistant fast zooms that this year that should be great as well for traveling.

I've yet to run into a situation where I needed a waterproofed camera. When I'm at parks or risk rain I always carry a zip lock back in my pocket that I can stick my phone/camera into. Its worked so far, and unless waterproof means I can handled being submerged for hours while im drifting around a lazy river, then its not usable to me. But if the OMD you mentioned and the e5 are the same camera, then I'm very interested based off reviews I'm reading. Sounds like a killer low profile camera.

What's the consensus with the 6D? I currently have a refurbed 5D Mark II. I mostly shoot video. It works fine but I'm thinking of selling it because I need to build a computer. I have a T2i so I was thinking that I could use that until I can afford a replacement full-frame

Pagusas

Elden Member
What's the consensus with the 6D? I currently have a refurbed 5D Mark II. I mostly shoot video. It works fine but I'm thinking of selling it because I need to build a computer. I have a T2i so I was thinking that I could use that until I can afford a replacement full-frame

I use one at work, I think its a great upgrade from a T series, BUT it is in no way shape or form worth the price. The AF points are to few and the lack of an audio in ruins its ability to be used as a decent video cam, especially for the price.

If it was $1500 it would be great, but its not, so I am very critical about it. Keep in mind I use my work cameras for primary video purposes, scouting and B-roll, so I'm looking at it from a commercial standpoint. We bought it primarily to be a sister to the 5d Mark3 so we could interchange full frame lenses and use the 6d with some of our interns/assistance and still have the primary cameras free (x305 and 5d)

hitsugi

okay, GAF.. please try to help me out here:

I'm looking for a mirrorless camera, and I have these two options right now:

Nikon J1
LUMIX DMC-GF5K

I had a Lumix DMC-FX37 in the past, and I hated it. However, this is a totally different ballpark.

From what I understand, the J1 has a smaller than 4/3 sensor, and less lenses available to it.. but does anyone have experience with either of these cameras? I'd like to pick something up this weekend.

Thanks!

tino

Banned

Nikon J1
LUMIX DMC-GF5K

I had a Lumix DMC-FX37 in the past, and I hated it. However, this is a totally different ballpark.

From what I understand, the J1 has a smaller than 4/3 sensor, and less lenses available to it.. but does anyone have experience with either of these cameras? I'd like to pick something up this weekend.

Thanks!

Get the m43. Nikon probably won't continued the 1 series 5 years down the road.

tino

Banned
Why do you think they will discontinue it? Turn it into compact?

Becuase Canon has big plans for the ESO-M system. Eventually the mirrorless ESO system will replace the low end Canon SLR. Nikon will have to release compatitble APSC mirrorless system to compete head to head.

This is how the Japanese companies work. All Asian companies really.

Played around with one recently with the 85mm 1.2 L (amazing lens!) Its autofocus is a noticable upgrade over the 5D2. The biggest improvement IMO is the low light shooting! It destroys the 5d2 in low light. I have a 60D and have decent experience with the 5D2. I find the 5D2 to be slightly better in low light than the 60D, but the usable ISO and the autofocus locks so much better in the 6D.

If I had the option of the 5D2 vs 6D for the same price, I would pick the 6D everytime. My experience is strictly stills, not video.

Zyzyxxz

Nikon J1
LUMIX DMC-GF5K

Thanks!

As stated above go with M43, Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma are jumping on it and the lenses tend to be cheaper as well. Also choice of bodies is nice while keeping lenses. You can go with a GH2/3 which has a grip and EVF built it or go compact with an Olympus EMP1.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, guys,

I know very little about cameras and photography. The wife is currently taking a photography class, but is really limited as she can only check out a really old Canon DSLR for one day at a time. She's learning a good bit from the textbook and the class, but I'm thinking she really needs more access to a good camera to really get into this.

I'm interested in learning about photography myself, and want something to get started.

So, I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a really good camera and lens combination to get started. I've budgeted this around $1,000, but can go a bit higher if necessary.

I hope this is enough information. I'd really appreciate some good recommendations.

Hi, guys,

I know very little about cameras and photography. The wife is currently taking a photography class, but is really limited as she can only check out a really old Canon DSLR for one day at a time. She's learning a good bit from the textbook and the class, but I'm thinking she really needs more access to a good camera to really get into this.

I'm interested in learning about photography myself, and want something to get started.

So, I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a really good camera and lens combination to get started. I've budgeted this around $1,000, but can go a bit higher if necessary.

I hope this is enough information. I'd really appreciate some good recommendations.

The t4i wirh the 18-135mm lens combo is usually priced below $1000 when on sale and is a great camera with a great focal range lens

RuGalz

Hi, guys,

I know you are already going to be bombarded by Canon/Nikon suggestions. So here's another one: Pentax K30 + 18-135 weather sealed body + lens for around 1k. :)

tino

Banned
Hi, guys,

Nikon refub D7000 + 35/1.8 + 50/1.8 + whatever zoom you can buy with rest of the money

or Canon T3i kit + 40/2.8 pancake + 50/1.4

or Sony Nex 5n kit + Sigma 19 + Sigma 30 + 50/1.8

or Fuji XE1 + 18-55mm 2.8-4 + 35/1.4 (This one will run you 1.8k)

edit: VVV haha beat you

Hi, guys,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00894YWD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

+

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00894YP00/?tag=neogaf0e-20

+

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005K47X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

=

$902

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. This is definitely giving me a good place to start researching.

I'm seeing a lot of sites recommending the Canon T4i for an entry-level DSLR.

Is it pretty good for a general purpose camera just to get started? I like Sony as a company quite a bit, too. What would be a comparable camera to the T4i that they offer? Is there anything certain makers tend to excel at over others, or does it really just depend on the model of the camera?

toohectic

Why recommend both the 40mm/2.8 and the 50mm/1.8? Seems like their function overlaps at least in terms of focal distance. Is the 40mm recommended just to have a fast focus, walk around?

nitewulf

Is it pretty good for a general purpose camera just to get started? I like Sony as a company quite a bit, too. What would be a comparable camera to the T4i that they offer? Is there anything certain makers tend to excel at over others, or does it really just depend on the model of the camera?

as usual for sony, their bodies and lenses are considerably overpriced IMO. this is one area you are better off sticking with classically great camera companies. sony systems have some nice zeiss lenses, but for the quality, they are expensive as hell, and not better than the competition.

Sony A57 would be the SLT equivalent to the T4i/650D range. It's certainly not a bad camera at all but the range of lens choices is a little bit narrower than in the Canikon world (though Sigma and Tamron fill most of the gaps in the spectrum).

Kryptonic

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. This is definitely giving me a good place to start researching.

I'm seeing a lot of sites recommending the Canon T4i for an entry-level DSLR.

If you're interested in Sony. I have an NEX 5N w/ 18-55 kit lens that I'm looking to part with. I don't have any extra lenses for it but do have a fotodiox adapter to attach Nikon lenses.

Make me an offer and this would give you some extra money to get some additional lenses for it.

It's a great camera, 'like new' condition, probably less than 300 shots on it. Would come with a Lowepro Courier 80 bag, extra battery, sd card. I love the size of it compared to the Nikon D5100 that I had. But I now have a D700 and looking for something even more portable to compliment it like a sony rx100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom