• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a new lens.

I currently have a T2i and am using the 50mm 1.8 a lot... It's my primary lens, because I only have it and the kit.

I want a bit of a fixed lens upgrade, but can't decide between the 40mm f/2.8 pancake or the 35mm f/2.

Thoughts on these? Should I just stick with the one I have? Is the 35mm worth twice the cost of the 40mm?

I often shoot wide open, which is probably the reason I am looking at the 35mm, despite it being $289 instead of $150, but I don't know if the one stop is that big of a factor.

Thoughts?

I currently have a T2i and am using the 50mm 1.8 a lot... It's my primary lens, because I only have it and the kit.

I want a bit of a fixed lens upgrade, but can't decide between the 40mm f/2.8 pancake or the 35mm f/2.

Thoughts on these? Should I just stick with the one I have? Is the 35mm worth twice the cost of the 40mm?

I often shoot wide open, which is probably the reason I am looking at the 35mm, despite it being $289 instead of $150, but I don't know if the one stop is that big of a factor.

Thoughts?

neither of those is an upgrade really. If you want to uopgrade, the next logical one would be the 50mm 1.4, especially if you are shooting wide open.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.

Thoughts?

I've had to return two different Canon 35mm F/2 in the past month due to the unnecessary amount of force I needed to use to mount the thing onto my body. Felt like it was going to wear out the contacts. I have no idea if I'm really unlucky but it's made me want to pick up a 40mm instead even though I'm on a crop body. The 40 is supposed to be fairly sharp wide open while the 35 doesn't.

neither of those is an upgrade really. If you want to uopgrade, the next logical one would be the 50mm 1.4, especially if you are shooting wide open.
The adorama review I was reading said that the differences are pretty negligible between those two, and even favor the 1.8. I was thinking one of the shorter focal length lenses because on my crop, the 50 can be a bit myopic.

tino

Banned

Thoughts?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47529183&postcount=14260

Thoughts?

Not sure "why" you're upgrading. Your post isn't clear. Are you looking for a more wide angle lens to compliment your 50? 50mm on a crop sensor camera like the T2i is 80mm, which is pretty long. 2 Options:

1. If you're looking to upgrade your 50mm with the same focal length, the 50mm 1.4 is a great upgrade: 2/3 stops faster, better bokeh, silent autofocus, better build quality. The 1.8 is still a pretty fantastic lens and on the T2i makes a great portrait lens.

2. If you're looking for a lens to complement it, the sigma 30mm 1.4 or the Canon 28mm 1.8 is the way to go. Both will give you FAR FAR FAR better flexibility on the T2i than the 50mm.

I would go with option #2.

What kind of cleaning cloth works best on (can be separate clothes):
  • The lens glass
  • The touchscreen

On a Sony NEX-5R?

Should I get a screen protector, too?

Forsete

What kind of cleaning cloth works best on (can be separate clothes):
  • The lens glass
  • The touchscreen

On a Sony NEX-5R?

Should I get a screen protector, too?

I just use a random microfiber towel that I got for my spectacles. Both for the screen (I have a non-touch though on my NEX7) and lenses.

I would recommend a screen protector. If I look at mine today it has scratches (the screen protector that is). When your carrying the camera with the neckstrap the screen could potentially rub against the zipper of your coat or jacket and get scratched.

Sony makes these nice screen protectors that are made out of very firm and stiff plastic, so you get no air-bubbles when you apply the protector.
I have also seen protectors made out of glass from other companies, people seem to like them.

After doing research, I am set to get the om-d but I'm kinda on the fence because its a year old already.
I'm not to fammilliar with camera life cycles, so I'm not too sure if I should wait for the new version or the price drop.
Olympus has a $100 instant rebate going at most camera stores right now. Also, it's likely there will be a new OM-D announced this year, but it will be fall at the earliest as current rumors point to an E-P5 with an integrated EVF coming in June first.

sfedai0

Banned

Thoughts?

Im in the same boat, but it really depends on what type of shooting you do. Are you satisfied with primes? Im upgrading to the Tamron 17-50 and supplementing it with the 40mm pancake.

My main reason for the upgrade is the 50 is a bit too tight for my everyday walking lens (and the stuff I like to shoot). I'm going to look at this 30mm sigma. Seems like it might be what I'm looking for.

My main reason for the upgrade is the 50 is a bit too tight for my everyday walking lens (and the stuff I like to shoot). I'm going to look at this 30mm sigma. Seems like it might be what I'm looking for.

Sigma 30mm 1.4 for $289 at B&H is the best money you'll spend on your camera except for the 50mm 1.8 price. Very tough to beat that deal.

If you can afford it, the Canon 28mm 1.8 is a better option. If you're going zoom, the Sigma, Tamron 17-50 2.8 are nice choices, but they are not as optically nice as the primes.

I know this is the Camera Equipment thread, but can anyone give me a link to a good resource on how to take great photographs.

I got a Fuji X10 a little while back, and I really love it and would love to learn how to take even better pictures with it.

This lot of auction show up whenever ebay has free listing event.

I call this guy bullshit. He has time to list the auction so many times buy he can't catalog the list? Probably all the good stuff are gone and these are the left over.

That's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't bid on this unless it had a few leica's and some nice glass (even if I could afford it, lol). Looks like stuff college students get for their photo classes.

Edit: I looked at the other listings and boy were they pathetic! Who in their right mind would pay $99 ($150 buy it now) for a 1.9mp old ass point and shoot, or $25 for a non-functioning fixed lens point and shoot film camera!

There's probably some real good pieces in there, but shit it's so much with so little info. He's also selling one of the best lenses separately though the price on that XA is pretty dead on. I just found one of those complete today for $10 so score.

Hello

I ordered a Panasonic Lumix LX7 camera and i should be getting it next week. I had a canon powershot before but it broke in a couple of months so i do not have much experience with cameras. What can you guys tell me about the LX7?

Thanks!

xl_PanasonicLX7_lead_624.jpg

nOoblet16

Hi guys, I've been using a lowly Nikon D3100 so far and I feel like I'm fighting the camera half of the time but I'm considering to replace it with something better. I wanted to know if Canon 650D (also known as T4i) would be a good upgrade over it ? I can spend around £600, lens not including.

RuGalz

Hi guys, I've been using a lowly Nikon D3100 so far and I feel like I'm fighting the camera half of the time but I'm considering to replace it with something better. I wanted to know if Canon 650D (also known as T4i) would be a good upgrade over it ? I can spend around £600, lens not including.

Depending on why you don't like the Nikon, but sensor performance wise, it's a downgrade.

Hello

I ordered a Panasonic Lumix LX7 camera and i should be getting it next week. I had a canon powershot before but it broke in a couple of months so i do not have much experience with cameras. What can you guys tell me about the LX7?

Thanks!

xl_PanasonicLX7_lead_624.jpg

The wide angle, aperture and macro all great.

Hello everyone, its been long since I last posted here.

I wanna know if you guys can give me an opinion of the Sony Nex 5N, I really want to know if it is really worthy buying it, because I want to use it like an everyday camera and not having the problem of carrying a bulkier DSLR camera. What do you guys think, Is the Sony Nex 5N worth is money or I should look to other options?

sneaky77

I wanna know if you guys can give me an opinion of the Sony Nex 5N, I really want to know if it is really worthy buying it, because I want to use it like an everyday camera and not having the problem of carrying a bulkier DSLR camera. What do you guys think, Is the Sony Nex 5N worth is money or I should look to other options?

I bought a NEX7 and I really like the much lighter ease of carrying it around. It may not work for everyone but it works for me.

I think Micro 4/3, NEX and Fuji mirrorless are all great options. The Nikon 1 cameras aren't bad as always have on you camera. I'd hold off on the Canon Mirrorless and Pentax mirrorless.

Sigma 30mm 1.4 for $289 at B&H is the best money you'll spend on your camera except for the 50mm 1.8 price. Very tough to beat that deal.

If you can afford it, the Canon 28mm 1.8 is a better option. If you're going zoom, the Sigma, Tamron 17-50 2.8 are nice choices, but they are not as optically nice as the primes.

Ya, I grabbed the Sigma 30mm. I guess it's marked down to $289 because a new version is coming out, so this is a freaking steal. Should get here today. Very excited.

tino

Banned

Its a very good option at its price range. The 5R is barely an upgrade over the 5N. The 6 has dropped price yet so if you are buyinh now, get the 5N kit.

Don't forget the duo Sigma lens for 199.

Bought the first L for my collection. A 70-200mm f/4 IS for abou $700. Jesus, I never thought this hobby would come to this. I think I opened the floodgates.

Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Top.jpg

THe 85mm 1.2 would complete me!!! I dream of the dreamy quality to the wide open shots!!! Looks like I'll have to settle for the 1.8 (which is a gorgeous lens, btw)!

nitewulf

for the prime you dont have to buy an L...primes are simpler designs so you get more bang for your buck, though even non L canon primes that were released recently are expensive as hell for some reason.

for the prime you dont have to buy an L...primes are simpler designs so you get more bang for your buck, though even non L canon primes that were released recently are expensive as hell for some reason.

I was talking about L's though.

It gets worse when you start wanting to upgrade within the L's… we have (and loved) the same lens you just bought. Until we tried the f/2.8 version.

I know. I would've but dropping close to 2 grand on a lens isn't remotely possible right now. Someday. Someday...

nitewulf

I was talking about L's though.

i see that, but what i'm saying is...given the choice right now, i'd pick the sigma 35mm 1.4 over the canon L (which I have), its a newer, better lens. L is not necessarily the best choice. on the other hand you paid $700 for a $1300 lens...i'd say that's a good deal.

but even the sigma is very expensive.

i see that, but what i'm saying is...given the choice right now, i'd pick the sigma 35mm 1.4 over the canon L (which I have), its a newer, better lens. L is not necessarily the best choice. on the other hand you paid $700 for a $1300 lens...i'd say that's a good deal.

but even the sigma is very expensive.

yeah, that Sigma 35 is a fucking beautifully sharp lens. You're right, L isn't always the best but even then, getting into great legacy glass is a fucking scary monetary prospect no matter the brand.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Canon-EF-85mm-f-1.2-L-II-USM-Lens-Top.jpg

THe 85mm 1.2 would complete me!!! I dream of the dreamy quality to the wide open shots!!! Looks like I'll have to settle for the 1.8 (which is a gorgeous lens, btw)!

That's my next lens! But after spending so much on photo stuff over the last two years I am holding off on buying any new equipment for awhile.

maink2.jpg

Returned my Tamrac and picked up this Baby! The Kata 3n1 20!!! For such a small bag, it holds A LOT!!! Comfortable, way sturdier than anything I've used and the inner chambers are so usuable. Any Size lens will fit with a Battery grip on the body. Love it!!! Took it out last night for a work-related shoot and love the slinging/backpack option!!!

My Previous Bags: Lowepro 102AW, Lowepro 250, Tamrac 85 Aero. All are great bags, but some were too small, or too big. This one is the absolute perfect size for me and has the features I want under $80.

I'm looking for a new one as well. My Lowepro 350 AW was great, but then I forgot to zip[ up the side laptop compartment and out goes my new Macbook Pro. Very painful and totally my fault but the zipper design on the side just won't cut it.

I'm looking for a new one as well. My Lowepro 350 AW was great, but then I forgot to zip[ up the side laptop compartment and out goes my new Macbook Pro. Very painful and totally my fault but the zipper design on the side just won't cut it.

Check out the Kata 3n1 25 or 30. These bags are far better constructed than lowepro and might be up your alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom