• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Why recommend both the 40mm/2.8 and the 50mm/1.8? Seems like their function overlaps at least in terms of focal distance. Is the 40mm recommended just to have a fast focus, walk around?

Yeah, a 40mm and a 50mm is not a very good recommendation... Especially when the person has no lenses at all.

I'd recommend just the 40mm probably. The build quality is the same on each of them and at f/2.8 and above the difference in image quality between the two is negligible, but the 40mm is a lot more convenient to carry around. And to anyone who would say "but the 50mm is 1.8 and the 40mm is only 2.8!" the 50's image quality is pretty bad below 2.8 anyways (and the 40mm is fine wide open).

Just my two cents.

tino

Banned
I recommended the 50/1.4 not the 5.0/1.8. On Canon rebel it is a 80mm equivalent lens. You can use it as a proper portrait lens. it's one of the cheapest portrait lens really.

As for 40 pancake, Canon doesn't have proper "stardard prime" for APSC. You can make do with it as "my first fixed lens". Now that I think about it more, I only recommended it on the strength of price and size. It's really not a good APSC lens. The Canon 30/2 or the Sigma 30/1.4 are much better options.

Alucrid

Banned
Is there a difference between using the 8 gb SDHC card and a 32 gb micro sd in an adapter? I tried the micro sd and it works fine though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Is there a difference between using the 8 gb SDHC card and a 32 gb micro sd in an adapter? I tried the micro sd and it works fine though.

The adapter will probably add some lag to the max write speed. Most likely seen when you try to shoot with frame bursts instead of single frames.

RayStorm

And to anyone who would say "but the 50mm is 1.8 and the 40mm is only 2.8!" the 50's image quality is pretty bad below 2.8 anyways (and the 40mm is fine wide open).

Just my two cents.

I would argue that there are situations where you can't use flash and might need the faster lens, which I would imagine to give you better results than upping the ISO.

JDeluis

I recommended the 50/1.4 not the 5.0/1.8. On Canon rebel it is a 80mm equivalent lens. You can use it as a proper portrait lens. it's one of the cheapest portrait lens really.

As for 40 pancake, Canon doesn't have proper "stardard prime" for APSC. You can make do with it as "my first fixed lens". Now that I think about it more, I only recommended it on the strength of price and size. It's really not a good APSC lens. The Canon 30/2 or the Sigma 30/1.4 are much better options.

I'd also recommend the Sigma 30 F/1.4 which would be an equivalent of 48mm. Which is a much better range if it's his first lens. Currently on sale for $289. Mine should be here on Tuesday.

Sigma 30 f/1.4

I would recommend buying the camera with the kit lens, since it will help you decide on what type of lens you want to upgrade to in the future. It could also end up being the same price as a "Body Only" T4i.

RuGalz

I don't understand the need to buy separate lenses right away. Kit lens can last every beginner for quite a while before there's really the need to explore other aspects of photography. By the time you need other lenses, potentially, there would be another better version or the current version will be cheaper.

Also, different people find different range to be more useful for their needs or liking. You only find that out after shooting for a while by looking at what range you tend to shoot at. Not everyone's gonna need a portrait lens, or lens for really shallow DOF, or wide angle lens, etc.

I've yet to run into a situation where I needed a waterproofed camera. When I'm at parks or risk rain I always carry a zip lock back in my pocket that I can stick my phone/camera into. Its worked so far, and unless waterproof means I can handled being submerged for hours while im drifting around a lazy river, then its not usable to me. But if the OMD you mentioned and the e5 are the same camera, then I'm very interested based off reviews I'm reading. Sounds like a killer low profile camera.

Haha, it's not waterproof so you can't go snorkeling with it. But having the weather-sealing removes a large amount of stress when I'm traveling and handling my multi-thousand dollar investment.

Also, take a look at the camera size comparison website to accurately gauge body sizes. The OM-D looks huge by itself but is tiny compared to DSLRs when handled. NEX bodies are even smaller with a nice viewfinder although the APS-C sensor will generally require bigger lenses that remove some of the size advantage.

Ptaaty

No difference, no lag. Adapters are a passive deal...work at the speed of light. Now the actual memory may be of different quality, but form factor doesn't matter.

RuGalz

Haha, it's not waterproof so you can't go snorkeling with it. But having the weather-sealing removes a large amount of stress when I'm traveling and handling my multi-thousand dollar investment.

After a day of beach or hike, I just put my camera under a faucet to rainse off the sand/dirt. Feels good man.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thinking about getting an X100S when it hits, anything major that should deter me from previews so far?

tino

Banned
No difference, no lag. Adapters are a passive deal...work at the speed of light. Now the actual memory may be of different quality, but form factor doesn't matter.

The adaptor does make it slower than full size sd card.

But I use all microSD card on my cameras now. I want to be able to edit photos on my phone.

entremet

This is tumblelog on images taken by the RX1. My tax refund can't come soon enough!

http://rx1files.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mhg12tsui71rm8mazo1_1280.jpg

Thinking about getting an X100S when it hits, anything major that should deter me from previews so far?

You'll only know post-release. Previewers have their hands tied when it comes to pointing out real flaws. Wait two weeks after any major camera launch so the bugs can be identified and squashed. Cameras are software as much as they are hardware now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You'll only know post-release. Previewers have their hands tied when it comes to pointing out real flaws. Wait two weeks after any major camera launch so the bugs can be identified and squashed. Cameras are software as much as they are hardware now.

Ah I see. I remember the X100 getting some decent software enhancements a bit after release too.

Realistically I probably will have to wait until April or May anyways, so that might work out.

Anybody here have an X100? I'm wondering if any GAFers have some real world photos with the thing to share. Or if there's a neat Tumblr dedicated to it. :p

gcubed

i took my new 6D to the local tattoo convention this weekend to take a bunch of pictures. I was with a friend who does portrait and wedding photography... he was using his 70-200 f/2.8L and i was running around with my kit lens. We were sitting taking picture sof a random sideshow and he gave me his lens to play around with for 15 minutes.

I'm still trying to hide those pictures from my camera so i can't look at them again. Lust...

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Ah I see. I remember the X100 getting some decent software enhancements a bit after release too.

Realistically I probably will have to wait until April or May anyways, so that might work out.

Anybody here have an X100? I'm wondering if any GAFers have some real world photos with the thing to share. Or if there's a neat Tumblr dedicated to it. :p

I LOVE my X100.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Care to elaborate? :)

Small, impeccable image quality, beautiful bokeh, great all around focal length, built very well... The list goes on.

The only 2 issues to me are slow AF (because I have kids) and battery life is poor. Though, the first can obviously be mitigated with a spare.

The x100 is awesome, best damn jpegs ever, puts a lot of pictures from my 7D to shame.

My biggest issues are:

Fixed lens (you know about this one going in, only sucks when you cant zoom in with your feet)
AF for kids, not really a problem for landscape
I sometimes knock the dials by accident when the camera is dangling on my neck
Battery life
Menus are badly organized and hard to get to.

With that out of the way

Most of my issues are fixed by the x100s.

Its a pleasure to shoot with it, the size and weight of it are really nice and the camera doesnt scare people away like a DSLR.

I actually find myself taking it out more than my DSLR now, which is making me understand the whole m4/3 movement with pro photogs ditching their DSLR setups for Olympus etc.

The viewfinder is really really nice and I find myself using it 99% of the time.

Some shots I have taken with it, keep in mind im not a pro photog and im still learning my way around the trifecta (ISO, Shutt, Aperture), I mostly shoot in P mode, which means the camera does all the work for me cuz the wife doesnt like to stop for me to set the camera up lol.

8136336270_145d221c67_z.jpg

8151123521_e5577a07d4_z.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The x100 is awesome, best damn jpegs ever, puts a lot of pictures from my 7D to shame.

My biggest issues are:

Fixed lens (you know about this one going in, only sucks when you cant zoom in with your feet)
AF for kids, not really a problem for landscape
I sometimes knock the dials by accident when the camera is dangling on my neck
Battery life
Menus are badly organized and hard to get to.

With that out of the way

Most of my issues are fixed by the x100s.

Its a pleasure to shoot with it, the size and weight of it are really nice and the camera doesnt scare people away like a DSLR.

I actually find myself taking it out more than my DSLR now, which is making me understand the whole m4/3 movement with pro photogs ditching their DSLR setups for Olympus etc.

The viewfinder is really really nice and I find myself using it 99% of the time.

Some shots I have taken with it, keep in mind im not a pro photog and im still learning my way around the trifecta (ISO, Shutt, Aperture), I mostly shoot in P mode, which means the camera does all the work for me cuz the wife doesnt like to stop for me to set the camera up lol.

8136336270_145d221c67_z.jpg

8151123521_e5577a07d4_z.jpg

Those still look really good! Can you link a full version of that first one? Low light pics are what I'm most concerned with (in addition to action-y shots.)

tino

Banned
About the X100s, what may cause problem is stuff like sticky aperture. This kind of problem takes a few months to show up.

Although there is no bugs for the XPro1 and XE1 so I wouldn't worry about it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'd love for Fuji to release something comparable to the RX-1 in a compact full frame fixed lens. Sony has a hot piece of tech, but it's too point and shooty.

I'm sure they could manage a $2k solution since they don't need a super expensive third party prestige lens for the package.

tino

Banned
I'd love for Fuji to release something comparable to the RX-1 in a compact full frame fixed lens. Sony has a hot piece of tech, but it's too point and shooty.

I'm sure they could manage a $2k solution since they don't need a super expensive third party prestige lens for the package.

Sony has the monopoly on the FF sensor though.

I think the RX1 is so niche Sony will slowly move the support to the FF Nex once a FF Nex is out.

I would like to see Contax/Zeiss make a FF version of X100.

After doing research, I am set to get the om-d but I'm kinda on the fence because its a year old already.
I'm not to fammilliar with camera life cycles, so I'm not too sure if I should wait for the new version or the price drop.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Small, impeccable image quality, beautiful bokeh, great all around focal length, built very well... The list goes on.

The only 2 issues to me are slow AF (because I have kids) and battery life is poor. Though, the first can obviously be mitigated with a spare.

And don't forget the wonderful analog controls. Just awesome.

I would like to see Contax/Zeiss make a FF version of X100.

I don't think they'd be able to make it much cheaper than Sony did, at this point. Zeiss doesn't have their own camera factory, and I'm not sure who they'd contract it out to. Cosina definitely doesn't seem like the company to make a high-end FF digital. And given that the RX1 already has a Zeiss lens... I think it's pretty much what a fixed-lens Zeiss Ikon digital would be, ideally.

tino

Banned
I don't think they'd be able to make it much cheaper than Sony did, at this point. Zeiss doesn't have their own camera factory, and I'm not sure who they'd contract it out to. Cosina definitely doesn't seem like the company to make a high-end FF digital. And given that the RX1 already has a Zeiss lens... I think it's pretty much what a fixed-lens Zeiss Ikon digital would be, ideally.

Zeiss doesn't need to make it cheaper than Sony. Zeiss can easily command a premium over the rest of the Asian brands. Zeiss has prestige and history.

Too many premium camera brands have vanished during the digital transition. Right now basically Fuji (and highend Olymous) are filling the void left by the European camera companies. Fuji is doing fine with the X100 but I think there is space above the Fuji demography for a true premium brand to revive.

The "true" MF Zeiss lens are made by Cosina anyway. Zeiss just need to pay Sony/Fuji/Kyocera to make a body and write its own firmware.

Fivefold

Banned
Too many premium camera brands have vanished during the digital transition. Right now basically Fuji (and highend Olymous) are filling the void left by the European camera companies. Fuji is doing fine with the X100 but I think there is space above the Fuji demography for a true premium brand to revive.

That true premium brand is Leica and I doubt any other company would be able to compete on that niche.

The Fujis are probably the most people are willing to pay for a non-FF camera without a red dot.

tino

Banned
That true premium brand is Leica and I doubt any other company would be able to compete on that niche.

The Fujis are probably the most people are willing to pay for a non-FF camera without a red dot.

Leica can't even figure out AF. Zeiss has already announced a bunch AF lens recently.

Leica is like Porsche, eventually people want to drive a car that looks different. Zeiss has a lot more money than Leica if I remember correctly.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Leica spares no expense with their highest end designs. With Zeiss I would consider them Leica like with practicality in regards to market size being considered. They don't produce the quality Leica does but they also don't cost $3K on average. Interestingly though Zeiss are releasing higher end SLR lenses that are in the mid $2.5K. They already have two with the 25/2 ZF/ZE and 15/2.8. The two other being the 135/2 and the new 50/1.4 Distagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom