• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forsete

NEX7N is going to be announced soon according to SAR. I would probably wait for that if I were you.

FF NEX is not until 2014, plenty of time to enjoy a proper APS-C camera. :p

If and when they release the FF Nex... would it be technically possible to use the same NEX lenses or would something new need to be implemented?

Pagusas

Elden Member
WhatsWrongWithYou.jpg

Opinions I know, but what dont you like about the Fuji?

nothing about the specs or anything, I just do not like the body style/Retro look at all. I do not really like retro anything, just a personal taste thing.

That doesnt mean I wont consider it, and it sounds like a seriously awesome camera. At the end of the day I'm not overly concerned about how it looks, but for first impressions with the product, I find it ugly.

tino

Banned
^^^ Just get the black version and mask tape out every logo.

If and when they release the FF Nex... would it be technically possible to use the same NEX lenses or would something new need to be implemented?

I doubt it. The FF version need to have a bigger mount.

Sony can make the FF NEX with shorter flange distance and then make a adapter to use the APS NEX lens.

It's not like you have more than 1 great NEX lens anyway.

Forsete

IIRC they already have a FF NEX videocamera.

Yes they do.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...-VG-30-APS-C-model-and-18-200-power-zoom-lens

So it works with the mount. APS-C lenses will probably work in crop-mode.
FF NEX lenses though? No idea.

They might do a new mount for FF NEX, nothing is set in stone.. It is still in the testing stage according to SAR.
But according to Sony the mount was made with FF in mind, I read that a few years ago.

Edit: Are the Zeiss E-mount (not talking about the fantastic Sony Zeiss lens) "cinema" lenses or whatever they are called APS-C or do they cover the whole FF area?

RuGalz

Probably why there's a lot of collaboration between Sony and Zeiss right now. They are probably hoping there's a couple of good lenses (real Zeiss) for FF Nex near launch. Otoh, it will be interesting to see how much better Nikon and Pentax can do with the same sensor Sony makes. They both seem to be able to push the sensor much more than Sony themselves.

IIRC they already have a FF NEX videocamera.

Yes they do.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/0...-VG-30-APS-C-model-and-18-200-power-zoom-lens

So it works with the mount. APS-C lenses will probably work in crop-mode.
FF NEX lenses though? No idea.

They might do a new mount for FF NEX, nothing is set in stone.. It is still in the testing stage according to SAR.
But according to Sony the mount was made with FF in mind, I read that a few years ago.

Edit: Are the Zeiss E-mount (not talking about the fantastic Sony Zeiss lens) "cinema" lenses or whatever they are called APS-C or do they cover the whole FF area?

The 3 coming out in a few months are APS-C, but there will be FF E-mount lenses from Zeiss next year.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-zeiss-e-mount-full-frame-lens-scheduled-for-a-june-2014-release/

I've been beginning to wonder whether I should get a telephoto zoom lens for my NEX-5R - sometimes I feel the limits of the kit lens' at full telephoto. Sometimes I just can't get close enough.

Any suggestions? Native lenses are preferred, but if there's something that's non-native but good, I might get an adapter.

tino

Banned
The 3 Zeiss mirrorless lens are for both NEX and Fuji, so Zeiss is not relying on Sony for the AF mechanism. Although the 3 lens fill Sony's holes very well, but barely compliment Fuji's lineup. I assume they will have EOS-M version very soon.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If the NEX team models the theoretical FF NEX off the RX1 (but more robust in regards to feature set)... I can't even fathom this.

_1aaaa.jpg

My New Lens! Just put a order on it. Sigma 30mm 1.4 for my 60D. Couldn't resist the $289 price.

It's time to get on with the B-O-K-E-H!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats one of the most glowing reviews I've ever read. So confusing.

Compared to Ken Rockwell?! I know whose opinions I trust more.

Is it just me, or is the formatting of his website enlarging the photos so that they appear a little blurrier than intended?

As you scale your browser window, it swaps in one of three versions, and for the smallest two will scale them. He may also detect high-res displays and swap in bigger images.

Fusebox

Banned
Is the RX1 the most expensive camera without a viewfinder? Seems it might be hard to get away from that p&s vibe when I'm framing a photo on the LCD screen.

SUPARSTARX

Mm... I'm thinking of picking up the Nikon 50mm 1.8G for some portrait shooting. What's a good price I should be aiming to get this for?

element

_1aaaa.jpg

My New Lens! Just put a order on it. Sigma 30mm 1.4 for my 60D. Couldn't resist the $289 price.

It's time to get on with the B-O-K-E-H!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've rented that before. It is a little slow, but for $289 you can't go wrong.

The new Sigma 35mm 1.4 is GOD LIKE!!
166404d1347924814-new-sigma-35mm-f-1-4-a_35_14_large02.jpg

I rented it a couple months ago. Built quality is amazing and the AF was FAST!

Deep Sea Diver by shinyidolcom, on Flickr

Deep Sea Diver by shinyidolcom, on Flickr

Filmed this too at the same show, http://youtu.be/6O30JyorVvw

Mr Swine

Banned
I have the D5100 which I believe is the slightly older model of the 5200. It's a great camera and I like how it easily mount all the old Nikon lenses without adapters.

Yeah that sounds good that its compatible with the older nikon lenses :)

What's more important to you? Spending as little money as possible, but still getting gear that can take a decent shot, or features?

If you're worried about your budget, get a cheaper canon with a cheap 50mm prime lens
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you have a lot of friends with Nikon gear who don't mind sharing with you, get Nikon instead.

If video is more important to you, Canons usually do it better, but that may have changed with the newer Nikons, I'm not sure.

I have no idea about the touchscreens, never used a DSLR that had one. Don't really see why I'd need to, either.

Well after much thinking I went with the Nikon D5200, is a sweet deal where I get the wireless adapter, 16GB SD card and original Nikon bag for the same price as one without, had to buy it lol. Now I'm almost broke if I don't manage to sell my old Powershot G12 haha...

:(

Ken gets a lot of grief but if you understand how his opinions color his writing (and when his tongue is in cheek) he is usually pretty good.

I do actually enjoy some of his writing. I think his site is absolutely terrible for people who are just getting into things, though. I also don't particularly like his photography and am more inclined to listen to photographers whose work I admire.

Let's see where he criticizes the RX1:

Out-of-camera JPEGs have colour he doesn't like. 
Nobody besides Rockwell (and people that happily took their 35mm film to the supermarket for developing) give a flying fuck about a camera's JPEG processing.

Auto-ISO has unchangeable defaults and he doesn't like that.
OK. This probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, though hopefully it's easy to turn auto ISO off in situations the otherwise sensible default settings wouldn't work for me. I see from the manual that ISO can be put on the custom function button so you can set it from auto to 102400.

I use auto ISO on my D600; works great until I break out my strobe and then I turn it off. It's not really the end of the world.

if an individual wanted to start taking pictures of her grilfriend who wants to model a bit (or just feel like a model), would you recommend her to get a regular DSLR camera and just practice getting good shots? Like one of those Canon Rebel camera's. Any additional pieces? This individual would be pretty new to the camera scene, so wouldn't know where to start.

if an individual wanted to start taking pictures of her grilfriend who wants to model a bit (or just feel like a model), would you recommend her to get a regular DSLR camera and just practice getting good shots? Like one of those Canon Rebel camera's. Any additional pieces? This individual would be pretty new to the camera scene, so wouldn't know where to start.

Good portrait lens (i.e. moderate tele) and a potent flash would help a lot.

tino

Banned
You want good portrait lens and off camera flash.

m43 45mm, Canon 50/1.4 or various 85mm/1.8 to name a few starters.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
if an individual wanted to start taking pictures of her grilfriend who wants to model a bit (or just feel like a model), would you recommend her to get a regular DSLR camera and just practice getting good shots?
Yes.

Like one of those Canon Rebel camera's.
Yes. It doesn't even have to be an expensive one. A cheap model from a few years back would be fine too.

Any additional pieces?
A 50mm prime lens, at least. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20) ~$100

If you're on a budget:
Canon EF 75-300mm (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004THD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20) ~$140
And a 5-in-1 light reflector (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y2KC7W/?tag=neogaf0e-20) ~$25

That, plus the kit lens will give you the widest variety of possible looks for the least amount of money. The reflector disc, if you can figure out how to use it well, will give you a very cheap way of making your photos look a lot better.

This individual would be pretty new to the camera scene, so wouldn't know where to start.
Then start simple, and don't overdo it in the beginning, otherwise you won't know what the hell you're getting into.

enewtabie

My wife got a Nikon D3100 and the lens that came with it. I know nothing about photography(I guess I'll get the dummies book for it),but is the 18-35mm lens ok for normal pictures? Kids,dog,and family outings. We have been using our phones for a camera for a long time and it was time to get something else.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My wife got a Nikon D3100 and the lens that came with it. I know nothing about photography(I guess I'll get the dummies book for it),but is the 18-35mm lens ok for normal pictures? Kids,dog,and family outings. We have been using our phones for a camera for a long time and it was time to get something else.

The lens is fine in areas that have enough light (outside during the daytime, or a brightly lit room with lots of windows or lights).

In darker settings, like at dawn/dusk, or in a dim restaurant, you will have a harder time and will have to use the flash. Using the built in flash will give you that generic, "flash in the face" look that a lot of photos have, so you'll probably want a lens that is more sensitive to light.

The cheapest good one would be this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2PPT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

About 200 bucks. This should be sufficient for more dimly lit indoor areas, but something like a candlelit dinner would be pushing it.

Thraktor

The RX1 would be pretty much my ideal camera if it had the NEX7's EVF in place of the pop-up flash (who uses a pop-up flash when they've got that sensor and lens combo, anyway?) The add-on EVF looks just that little bit too awkward for my liking.

Not that I'd ever be able to afford the RX1, but a man can dream.

enewtabie

The lens is fine in areas that have enough light (outside during the daytime, or a brightly lit room with lots of windows or lights).

In darker settings, like at dawn/dusk, or in a dim restaurant, you will have a harder time and will have to use the flash. Using the built in flash will give you that generic, "flash in the face" look that a lot of photos have, so you'll probably want a lens that is more sensitive to light.

The cheapest good one would be this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2PPT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

About 200 bucks. This should be sufficient for more dimly lit indoor areas, but something like a candlelit dinner would be pushing it.

Thank you
That was very informative.

Its a very good option at its price range. The 5R is barely an upgrade over the 5N. The 6 has dropped price yet so if you are buyinh now, get the 5N kit.

Don't forget the duo Sigma lens for 199.
I think Micro 4/3, NEX and Fuji mirrorless are all great options. The Nikon 1 cameras aren't bad as always have on you camera. I'd hold off on the Canon Mirrorless and Pentax mirrorless.
I bought a NEX7 and I really like the much lighter ease of carrying it around. It may not work for everyone but it works for me.

Thanks very much for y`all opinions, I would love to buy the NEX 7 but I dont have that kind of money to spend.

I have decided to buy the Sony Nex 5N with the Sony Nex 50 mm 1.8 lens.

Hopefully I can start with taking photos again and master the new camera also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom