• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandicoot

Nikon just announced the new D7100!

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/

24.1MP DX format CMOS sensor, with no OLPF
EXPEED 3 processing
ISO 100-6400 standard, up to 25600 expanded
Max 6 fps continuous shooting in DX mode, 7fps in 1.3X crop mode
51 point AF system, 15 sensors cross type
2016 pixel RGB metering sensor
Spot white balance in live view mode
1080 60i/30p video recording, built-in stereo mic, mic jack and audio monitoring jack
Pentaprism with 100% coverage and 0.94X magnification
3.2", 1.2m-dot LCD screen (640 x 480 X RGBW)
Front and rear IR receivers
Equivalent water and dust resistance to D800/D300S

The RX1 would be pretty much my ideal camera if it had the NEX7's EVF in place of the pop-up flash (who uses a pop-up flash when they've got that sensor and lens combo, anyway?) The add-on EVF looks just that little bit too awkward for my liking.

Not that I'd ever be able to afford the RX1, but a man can dream.

Fill in flash useful no matter the sensor and maybe you don't want all your indoor photos to be grainy.

Thanks very much for y`all opinions, I would love to buy the NEX 7 but I dont have that kind of money to spend.

I have decided to buy the Sony Nex 5N with the Sony Nex 50 mm 1.8 lens.

Hopefully I can start with taking photos again and master the new camera also.

I just picked up the Sigma 30mm prime lens from Unique Photo for $99. Great deal for this lens.

Nikon just announced the new D7100!

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7100/

24.1MP DX format CMOS sensor, with no OLPF
EXPEED 3 processing
ISO 100-6400 standard, up to 25600 expanded
Max 6 fps continuous shooting in DX mode, 7fps in 1.3X crop mode
51 point AF system, 15 sensors cross type
2016 pixel RGB metering sensor
Spot white balance in live view mode
1080 60i/30p video recording, built-in stereo mic, mic jack and audio monitoring jack
Pentaprism with 100% coverage and 0.94X magnification
3.2", 1.2m-dot LCD screen (640 x 480 X RGBW)
Front and rear IR receivers
Equivalent water and dust resistance to D800/D300S

Very interesting. Love the AF points.

I wish manufacturers would do away with the 1.5x or 1.6x crop for 1.3x at least on their flagship crop sensors. I saw the 1.3x crop mode, and got excited until I read what it really was.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anyone here ever get to play with a Medium Format camera? I'm renting a Pentax 645D to do some super high resolution exhibit shots next week and curious of any quicks I should know about. I'll be getting a full tutorial from the rental company, but still curious if anyones ever used one!

Just got in our newest camera at work (which will be used only be me):
IMG_0119_zpsc6101da7.jpg

Have a video shoot already next week where she'll be deployed for B-roll :-D

Iacobellis

Anyone here ever get to play with a Medium Format camera? I'm renting a Pentax 645D to do some super high resolution exhibit shots next week and curious of any quicks I should know about. I'll be getting a full tutorial from the rental company, but still curious if anyones ever used one!

IMG_0119_zpsc6101da7.jpg

What a beaut. What lens is on it?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

IMG_0119_zpsc6101da7.jpg

<3

Well, I received my 70-200mm f/4 L IS today. Oh my god it's beautiful. There seemed to be an issue with focus lock at first but switching the distance from 1.2m-infinity from 3.0m-infinity seemed to have fixed it. If anybody knows, could this be an issue? Otherwise, it's all great.

What do you think of VisibleDust sensor cleaning products? Are they effective, or are they just snake oil? I'm going to leave my house to buy them from a local authorized reseller because I seem to have a problem with the sensor - a dust problem.

Ember128

What do you think of VisibleDust sensor cleaning products? Are they effective, or are they just snake oil? I'm going to leave my house to buy them from a local authorized reseller because I seem to have a problem with the sensor - a dust problem.
Ehhhh they are ok, but, the one the store I worked at used the Delkin Kit, the one that comes with a Vacuum.
This thing.

It's kind of like cleaning your floor for dust. Except it's a tiny box with all the dust in it so it keeps it inside. The swabs you don't use except as a last resort if several thorough passes with the vacuum doesn't do it.

Ehhhh they are ok, but, the one the store I worked at used the Delkin Kit, the one that comes with a Vacuum.
This thing.

It's kind of like cleaning your floor for dust. Except it's a tiny box with all the dust in it so it keeps it inside. The swabs you don't use except as a last resort if several thorough passes with the vacuum doesn't do it.

Hehe, I vacuumed it already with my blower, and since it didn't get rid of all of them, last resort it is.

Well, I received my 70-200mm f/4 L IS today. Oh my god it's beautiful. There seemed to be an issue with focus lock at first but switching the distance from 1.2m-infinity from 3.0m-infinity seemed to have fixed it. If anybody knows, could this be an issue? Otherwise, it's all great.

Sick lens! It's the missing piece to my arsenal, but my wife would kill me.

You don't explain what the issue is. Quite simply, the reason you have such a switch is because it takes much longer for the lens to focus from 1.2m. If it takes longer, it's normal don't sweat it. If the focus is off, that is weird.

Sick lens! It's the missing piece to my arsenal, but my wife would kill me.

I got it used and it was a gamble, but it paid off and the price ($700) was fucking amazing. It locks focus almost instantly and is sharp as a tack.

You don't explain what the issue is. Quite simply, the reason you have such a switch is because it takes much longer for the lens to focus from 1.2m. If it takes longer, it's normal don't sweat it. If the focus is off, that is weird.

Yeah, the switch is supposed to be at the 1.2 when less than 10 feet which was why it was having trouble focusing as I was indoors and not anywhere near that distance.

I've been using interchangeable lens cameras for the last 4 or 5 years. I've never had a problem with dust. Ever. Never used any cleaning products either.

It's amazing some camera manufacturers still ship products with dust issues to this day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound snobby, I understand accidents can happen, maybe you touch the sensor with greasy fingers or something then you need to clean it. But dust, like on the Nikon D600, there's no excuse.

tino

Banned
I've been using interchangeable lens cameras for the last 4 or 5 years. I've never had a problem with dust. Ever. Never used any cleaning products either.

It's amazing some camera manufacturers still ship products with dust issues to this day.

Depends on your local air quality. If you in Beijing you need to clean the mofo every year. I am in NYC I would say I want to clean my sensor at least once during the life of the camera.

And I know all about cleaning them in Photoshop.

Heh. After exhausting the entire kit, I can finally say hello to a clean sensor again. There goes the dust! Even at F/36, there's no dust specks at all.

Successful?

Picked this up recently.
8459598534_2c48758b26_c.jpg

Bought it before the rebates were announced but was able to get the $300 back from the store I got it from. Very easy to deal with. This thing is so damn nice. Now to start saving for the 24-70 2.8. They might announce an updated version w/ VR by then...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There seemed to be an issue with focus lock at first but switching the distance from 1.2m-infinity from 3.0m-infinity seemed to have fixed it. If anybody knows, could this be an issue? Otherwise, it's all great.

Not really, that doesn't sound too out of the ordinary. The lens can focus faster that way because it ignores the closer end of the potential focusing distances since it "knows" that whatever you want to focus on is supposed to be farther away

It's easier to just leave it like that most of the time, and only switch to "1.2-inf" when you know you want to go closer, but it mainly comes down to your style and the situation. Play around with it and see what works for you.

Alucrid

Banned
I currently have a Rebel XS that I don't use too much just because I find it a pain to carry around and don't think I'll be investing in more lens (I've only bought one other) as such I'm thinking of selling it and trying to buy something more compact in the 3-500 dollar range. Any suggestions?

Iacobellis

A Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, wanted a good general purpose lense that will work for generalize shooting. We also got a Canon 50mm 1.4 prime for all our shallow dof shots.

Have you thought about a 24-70 2.8? I here it's the lens of choice by a lot of people for video.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Have you thought about a 24-70 2.8? I here it's the lens of choice by a lot of people for video.

The 24-70 didnt have IS, so I didnt included it when I was making my lens choices. I would have loved the speed of it, but I feel we got a good balance here for what we need, and the 1.4 50mm is already working perfectly for our lock down 2nd angle shots.

Zyzyxxz

Rumor of a Nikon version of DP1/X100s?

Same focal length as the DP1 but with a 16mp sensor. This is not an old Sony sensor is it?

If so I am down to replace my GF2. Wouldn't mind if its the 16MP Sony as it is a great sensor and I need something that can shoot at higher ISO.

tino

Banned
Do you guys have the problem of owning too many lens mount adapters? Its a definitely an inconvenience to me owning 2 mirrorless systems.

I have decided to add some color favors to tell the adapters apart. I think red for Canon and yellow/gold for Nikon make sense. I haven't decided the color for Fuji and Konica yet. What do you guys think.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Do you guys have the problem of owning too many lens mount adapters? Its a definitely an inconvenience to me owning 2 mirrorless systems.

I have decided to add some color favors to tell the adapters apart. I think red for Canon and yellow/gold for Nikon make sense. I haven't decided the color for Fuji and Konica yet. What do you guys think.

Fuji Green and Konica Blue

tino

Banned
Well I don't have any Minolta lens. If I do its appropriate to use the orange color. I think I will replace the Sony adapters with silver color. It's the most fitting flashy color for NEX.

Laekon

Does anyone have opinions on the Canon G15 vs. S100 vs. Panasonic LX7? The G15 is about perfect except for the size and price. The S100 is a great size and price but the aperture isn't the best once you start to zoom. The LX7 seems to be the best compromise with a great lens, decent price, and looks smaller than the G15 but has less zoom. It also has a external lens cap that could get lost. I'm looking for a small camera with manual controls to take city, landscape, and macro shots with. I travel to Europe and Asia for work and don't want to lug around a dslr. While cameras like the Sony Nex series are smaller they are still bulkier than I want. I also don't want to deal with multiple lenses.

Zyzyxxz

Does anyone have opinions on the Canon G15 vs. S100 vs. Panasonic LX7? The G15 is about perfect except for the size and price. The S100 is a great size and price but the aperture isn't the best once you start to zoom. The LX7 seems to be the best compromise with a great lens, decent price, and looks smaller than the G15 but has less zoom. It also has a external lens cap that could get lost. I'm looking for a small camera with manual controls to take city, landscape, and macro shots with. I travel to Europe and Asia for work and don't want to lug around a dslr. While cameras like the Sony Nex series are smaller they are still bulkier than I want. I also don't want to deal with multiple lenses.

Forget the G15 not worth the price, the other two cameras are much more convenient and can give you great shots for the price. If you want decent aperature at zooms then you are out of luck, even with DSLR's you gotta spend a ton of money on a fast zoom lens or get a single focal length lens that is fast but you can't zoom and have to change lenses when you want to go back to shooting close. So I'd say its a toss up between LX7 and S100.

I'd recommend the LX7 because of the very fine lens. You can get a cheap automatic lens cap that opens up mechanically and can't get lost. I have the same thing for an Olympus XZ-1 and it makes it much easier to travel. Example: Automatic lens cap for a LX7 on amazon.com

Pagusas

Elden Member

The s100 is my current travel cam, Its good during the day and terrible at evening/night anytime you are in a low light situation (which is understandable I guess for a pocket cam, but I still expected more). Frankly photos from it are unusable above 800iso, factor that in with the slow apeture (except when wide open, which i find it to be soft and has a lot of trouble focusing when wide open) and you basically have a camera that is noisy and useless during the evening.

Also shooting RAW on it is terribly slow. Focusing is slow also when dealing with anything but a brightly lit environment.

Still because of its size its ALWAYS with me when traveling. Far better than any other pocket cam/phone camera. Just dont expect any sort of DSLR quality from it.

She has the controls you are looking for, just probably not the performance.

(._.)

Banned
Anybody here have experience mounting M42 lenses on Nikon bodies? I'm trying to properly use a 50mm 1.4 super takumar pentax lens on a d5100. I got an adapter and got it on the body but it doesn't focus properly. It's almost like the adapter isn't flush enough but I've looked and it seems like I have the thinnest one around. Infinity focus doesn't work unless set on the highest aperture and even then it is still blurry. On closer shots the lens functions somewhat well. It's almost like the lens is just too far from the sensor and there is nothing I can do about it. Any way to fix this problem?

tino

Banned
Anybody here have experience mounting M42 lenses on Nikon bodies? I'm trying to properly use a 50mm 1.4 super takumar pentax lens on a d5100. I got an adapter and got it on the body but it doesn't focus properly. It's almost like the adapter isn't flush enough but I've looked and it seems like I have the thinnest one around. Infinity focus doesn't work unless set on the highest aperture and even then it is still blurry. On closer shots the lens functions somewhat well. It's almost like the lens is just too far from the sensor and there is nothing I can do about it. Any way to fix this problem?

Oops, looks like I gave you the wrong information. I double checked the flange distance chart, Nikon F mount (46.5) does indeed has longer flange distance than m42 (45.46). Therefore it can not focus to infinity without a correction lens. You can use it to take picture of close objects. I almost mix up Nikon and Pentax flange distance since they are so similar.

As you can see F mount has longer flange distance than almost everything except Leica R mount, so you can't use other lens on Nikon with a straight adapter.

Here is a discussion of adapters with correction lens. Keep in mind you will lost image quality when you use it.

nitewulf

Sony RX100 has a 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 lens, is small. pretty fast lens at the wide end.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Or I'd personally just get a fuji x20, it has a great fast 28-112mm f/2.0-2.8 zoom.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x20/fuji-x20A.HTM

Parallacs

Sorry, but it is the Nikon as tino pointed out.

That is one real advantage with going Canon. The flange distance (44) makes it great for mounting old lenses. You can mount almost anything other than Canon FD (ironically) and Minolta without doing any modifications to the lenses.

I have three Pentax Takumar 50mm lenses and all three produce different results. I love them. That said, I can't remember the last time I used them at infinity. I mean, the reason to have them is the shallow depth of field right?

(._.)

Banned
Oops, looks like I gave you the wrong information. I double checked the flange distance chart, Nikon F mount (46.5) does indeed has longer flange distance than m42 (45.46). Therefore it can not focus to infinity without a correction lens. You can use it to take picture of close objects. I almost mix up Nikon and Pentax flange distance since they are so similar.

As you can see F mount has longer flange distance than almost everything except Leica R mount, so you can't use other lens on Nikon with a straight adapter.

Here is a discussion of adapters with correction lens. Keep in mind you will lost image quality when you use it.

Ah okay, thanks. Like it will start requiring really high apertures to focus on anything further than 6/7 feet away. anything beyond like 15/20 feet it simply can't focus on. It does however take some very pretty photos of things up close. Wish I could use it to it's fullest on my DSLR

Sorry, but it is the Nikon as tino pointed out.

That is one real advantage with going Canon. The flange distance (44) makes it great for mounting old lenses. You can mount almost anything other than Canon FD (ironically) and Minolta without doing any modifications to the lenses.

I have three Pentax Takumar 50mm lenses and all three produce different results. I love them. That said, I can't remember the last time I used them at infinity. I mean, the reason to have them is the shallow depth of field right?
I didn't know that was one of the advantages to having a cannon. I have about 6 or so old pentax lenses that I'd love to use without having to use an adapter with infinity glass. Just need to make a friend with a Cannon I can borrow >:)

I know some here have talked up the F Stop bags and I want one but I'm confused by the ICU's. Do I need one? Does the bag have normal seperators and the ICU's are extra? Thanks for the clarification.

Laekon

Sony RX100 has a 28-100mm f/1.8-4.9 lens, is small. pretty fast lens at the wide end.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Or I'd personally just get a fuji x20, it has a great fast 28-112mm f/2.0-2.8 zoom.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x20/fuji-x20A.HTM

So I went with the LX7 because of the lens, size, and price. I'm watching the X20 and might return the LX7 if good reviews come out soon but it is still $200 more. There was also a special for $30 off Lightroom 4 which I picked up. Now I just have to learn how to use and actually use both it and the camera.

I know some here have talked up the F Stop bags and I want one but I'm confused by the ICU's. Do I need one? Does the bag have normal seperators and the ICU's are extra? Thanks for the clarification.

I think the bag is separate from the ICUs if you order direct from F Stop and you need to know how many ICUs you need for your gear. Just look at pics online and make your decision. F Stop bags are Sick!!! Saw someone use one during a crazy rainstorm! Love the Loka model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom