• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

I just bought a Canon T4i with 18-135 stm lens and 55-250 lens. I have never used an advanced camera like this before. I am going on a safari, so hopefully it will be useful. Anyone have experience with that camera and those two lenses? Is it good for a beginner?

yes very good...make sure to read up on exposure settings (aperture, shutter and white balance), learn how to set the various metering modes (spot, center weighted, etc) and play around with focusing subjects before you go on your safari.

for daylights, to shoot animals...i'd set the center point on focus, keep metering on center weighted average and keep the camera on aperture priority if subject is slow, non moving. if animals are moving, move to shutter priority and set a shutter speed of 400 or above.

you might want to rent one of the various 70-200mm canon lenses, as you need a better telephoto lens to capture wildlife than the one you are getting. dont get me wrong, you will be able to take pictures just fine with the kit telephoto...but they may not hold up on print.

What's the best way to get a telephoto zoom lens on a Sony Alpha NEX-5R? Adapt or native? New or used? Where to start? (I don't live anywhere in the Americas or Europe. I live in Southeast Asia. Usually Singapore, to be precise.)

I'm actually looking at the SEL55210 for a native, official lens, but... what if I could go cheaper with adapting something else?

Saya

Does anyone have the Fujifilm X20? I'm looking for a new compact camera and this one caught my eye. It seems like a good travel camera and it looks great aesthetically. I mostly want to use it for travelling, going to events, parties, and gatherings. Or something I can easily carry with me most of the time.

2kTwJJf.jpg

Chairhome

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/18/canon-eos-b-dslr-best-buy-leak/
New APS-C Canon DSLR coming soon? $800 with lens.
engadget said:
It looks as though Canon will have a new DSLR to announce very shortly, if a listing on Best Buy's website is any indicator. The page offers us no images to ogle, but it betrays an unannounced 18-megapixel shooter dubbed the EOS-b, accompanied by an 18-55m lens kit and an $800 price tag. Canon Rumors notes a smaller footprint, trimming five ounces of fat and bulk off the T4i's measurements. The camera specs are identical to the T4i and EOS M, too, but an optical viewfinder and pop-up flash make us wonder if it isn't a pint-sized follow up to the T4i. You can look forward to a Digic 5 image processor, nine-point autofocus system, 3-inch 1.04K dot TFT-LCD touchscreen, four frames-per-second burst shooting, an ISO range from 100 to 12,800 with a high setting of 25,600 and HD video capture. There's no word on when this APS-C shooter will officially be announced, but you can try your luck at placing a pre-order by clicking the Best Buy source link.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Chairhome

Update on the EOS-b from the Best Buy leak.
Its the Canon Kiss X7
It's virtually an annual tradition for Canon to unveil new EOS Rebel DSLRs well before the summer hits, and we're very nearly due for the next installment. It shouldn't be a shock, then, that Digicam info claims to have both images and details of the EOS Kiss X7, which may be the smaller and lighter EOS-b. As you'd imagine, most of the differences versus the Rebel T4i appear to be more ergonomic than technical. While there's mention of a second-generation hybrid autofocusing system, the most conspicuous changes appear to center on a space-saving design that moves the AF assist light to the opposite side. The 18-megapixel sensor, DIGIC 5 processor, ISO 25,600 sensitivity ceiling, 9-point autofocusing coverage and 3-inch LCD all appear to be retreads -- the new model would be more to attract first-time owners than catch habitual upgraders. If the details are accurate, Canon would sell the Kiss X7 late in April for ¥79,000 ($828). There's no word on plans for the camera's US counterpart, but we wouldn't be surprised to see an American edition arrive around the same time.

it's official, canon's lost it.

"yeah, this mirrorless thing is a joke. what people really want is a DSLR that'll take up a few cubic centimetres less space in their massive camera bag that they still have to lug around because at least they can use our legacy collection of (also massive) lenses"

the entry-level DSLR is an almost entirely pointless category at this stage. the question is whether consumers wise up before canon does.

"yeah, this mirrorless thing is a joke. what people really want is a DSLR that'll take up a few cubic centimetres less space in their massive camera bag that they still have to lug around because at least they can use our legacy collection of (also massive) lenses"

the entry-level DSLR is an almost entirely pointless category at this stage. the question is whether consumers wise up before canon does.

I don't get the bolded

well, who is this camera for? i feel like the only people buying entry-level DSLRs at this point are those who just have a vague idea that big interchangeable lens cameras from canon and nikon are what you get if you want better image quality than a point-and-shoot, because that was true for years. now, though, mirrorless cameras like the NEX or PEN series offer (to varying degrees) the same quality with infinitely greater usability and convenience. or, if you're never going to take the kit lens off anyway, you could just get an RX100 and keep it in your back pocket forever.

i wouldn't recommend an entry-level SLR to anyone. you're stuck with a tiny viewfinder, barely functional live view, pain-in-the-ass video (usually) and a bulky package that's no fun to carry around. the SLR category obviously has its place at higher levels, but it's only going to become more marginalised in the near future and it's crazy to me that canon is still prioritising it with its mass-market lineup. it's like it wants to cede its huge marketshare to panasonic and sony.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

I don't agree at all. There are benefits to SLRs whether people want to admit it or not.

I don't agree at all. There are benefits to SLRs whether people want to admit it or not.

I think the only advantage that would benefit entry-level consumers is AF speed, which mirrorless cameras will start matching as on-sensor PDAF improves. Consumer-focused DSLRs are definitely a dying breed IMO.

of course there are, but they're pretty esoteric benefits to the average customer who wants a step-up from a point-and-shoot.

the SLR is an antiquated design with some very specific advantages that are of dubious relevance to people who've never used one before. it's anachronistic for the market leaders to base their consumer lineups around them, and the only reason they're doing so is because to stop would mean cutting ties with their traditional trump card.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Pro's dont mind or complain about the size of DSLR bodies, consumers who buy them for IQ but not much else do (which I'd guess would be the large majoirty of there buyers). Hell even I complain the standard DSLR body is just to big when Im not working. I love the 5Dm3, but I would never ever ever want to travel with it for anything but work purposes. But I still want an awesome travel camera that I can do most everything I do with the 5d with. Sadly there hasnt been a good "compromise" market yet, and canon's shrunken down DSLR body isnt it. It either fits in my pocket or is lite enough I dont notice it on the neck or isnt and wont be traveling with me.

RuGalz

I think the SL1 is just an interim product. They probably will have clearer direction after they compare EOS M and SL1 sales. Kinda just thrown out there to see what sticks IMO.

Flo_Evans

I think the only advantage that would benefit entry-level consumers is AF speed, which mirrorless cameras will start matching as on-sensor PDAF improves. Consumer-focused DSLRs are definitely a dying breed IMO.

I really don't think most entry level DSLRs are much faster than a P&S these days. A low end phase detect sensor + a slow lens (motor speed and light gathering ability) is not going to set any speed records.

The P&S also has the advantage of greater DOF and a wider focal length so critical focus accuracy is not as important.

Hmm...

So should I not be concerned with the negative ratings if it's swamped by positives?

I wonder whether I should also care about the warranty, but it's so expensive from a Sony Store.

There are always some problems with any seller, I guess. Everything below 95% positive feedback is definitely questionable.
Where do you live? To be honest, I wouldn't buy from an overseas seller just because of the long shipping route to Europe. If there is a problem (which might even be not within the responsibility of the seller), you are more or less on your own. And especially Sony is quite uncharitable with their warranties here in Europe for overseas products.
You have to decide if the cheaper price is worth the slight risk that something might go wrong.
But coming back to your original question, I don't think that this particular seller is a fraud.

I think the SL1 is just an interim product. They probably will have clearer direction after they compare EOS M and SL1 sales. Kinda just thrown out there to see what sticks IMO.

meanwhile, as of a few years ago fujifilm, sony, and olympus are all producing innovative cameras that take great pictures and are fun to use. canon is a total dinosaur at this point — tossing out half-assed products for no-one "to see what sticks" isn't going to cut it.

Flo_Evans

meanwhile, as of a few years ago fujifilm, sony, and olympus are all producing innovative cameras that take great pictures and are fun to use. canon is a total dinosaur at this point — tossing out half-assed products for no-one "to see what sticks" isn't going to cut it.

Idk, to me canon is still on the bleeding edge of DSLR video. I downloaded some 1-DC 4k footage today and was blown away. Sure it costs 12 thousand dollars and my computer could barely play it let alone edit it, but canon is still kicking ass... Just not in the enthusiast market segment.

RuGalz

To me it seems like a product targeted toward Asian female market whose partners are already Canon shooters. I don't think there's anything really wrong with it. Their margin must be so good using so many old parts that even small number of sales will make them money...

Thraktor

I don't get the hate for the 100D. Fast AF and full EF/EF-S lens compatibility are more than valid reasons to want an entry-level DSLR over a mirrorless, and they managed to cut down the size by a surprising amount from the 650D/700D line, which are small by DSLR standards in the first place.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I don't get the hate for the 100D. Fast AF and full EF/EF-S lens compatibility are more than valid reasons to want an entry-level DSLR over a mirrorless, and they managed to cut down the size by a surprising amount from the 650D/700D line, which are small by DSLR standards in the first place.

That's my thought.

Not just that.

Controls. DSLRs are great for people that want controls at their fingertips. (I rely a lot on the Fn button on my NEX-5R because there's not many buttons on there. It's clean, and I can live with it, but it's not for people that want absolute control.)

RuGalz

Not just that.

Controls. DSLRs are great for people that want controls at their fingertips. (I rely a lot on the Fn button on my NEX-5R because there's not many buttons on there. It's clean, and I can live with it, but it's not for people that want absolute control.)

But entry level DSLR never really had that many physical buttons/dials for direct control to begin with. Otoh, those controls actually scare a lot of people initially, at least anecdotally. By moving to touchscreen/smartphone like input seems like a decent compromise. It's not for me but I can see why.

But entry level DSLR never really had that many physical buttons/dials for direct control to begin with. Otoh, those controls actually scare a lot of people initially, at least anecdotally. By moving to touchscreen/smartphone like input seems like a decent compromise. It's not for me but I can see why.

For some people, yep, the controls are a bad thing to have on a camera, and for them, a MILC would be a better fit. The controls on an entry-level DSLR may or may not be more than what you can find on a MILC anyway.

Speaking of touch screen input, I tend to use it only when I really need it on my NEX-5R. I'm more of a button guy.

Yep, pretty much. The SL1 appears to be nicely compact with the 40mm pancake...but 40 is an awkward focal length for a prime on 1.5x crop. While you can get a nice classic focal length in a compact package with the EOS-M 22mm kit...but then have no tactile controls. Or you can get the controls with a G1x...but then you lose the flexibility of an interchangeable lens system.

IMO Canon should make an EOS-M2 with the form factor and controls of the G series and a built-in EVF. That would be a nice camera.

RuGalz

For some people, yep, the controls are a bad thing to have on a camera, and for them, a MILC would be a better fit. The controls on an entry-level DSLR may or may not be more than what you can find on a MILC anyway.

Speaking of touch screen input, I tend to use it only when I really need it on my NEX-5R. I'm more of a button guy.

I believe entry level stuff will eventually be replaced by MILC. However, we are still in the transition period hence I think this is an interim product. I think in the end Canon will push EOS M harder. It's just too soon to release part 2.

In this case, I really see it as a 'companion' camera more than anything else. For a couple, if one is already shooting Canon while the other isn't quite as serious about photography but want better flexibility or image quality than P&S, to me, it's better to stay on the same system so gears can be shared and knowledge can be taught more easily. I'm kind of doing this with my fiance and a friend. It works very well.

Then there are those people who will buy anything if you sell them on the idea that it's the 'smallest' camera of its kind, lol. Not so common in the West perhaps but happens a lot in Asian market.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My dream is for a full frame Mirrorless camera, with all the normal controls of a DSLR, advanced wireless features that make it easy to controll remotely built in (time lapse) and an interchangeable lense system that has a full range of pancake prime lenses, making it the ultimate travel camera.

Also build in GPS, a great long lasting battery, a popup flash that can be aimed upward, and a view finder/electronic view finder hybrid that works beautifully. Also the ability to do 10fps + burst in Raw mode would be nice.

Pagusas

Elden Member
^ doesn't sound very pocket-able... which seems to be your complain about DSLR on travel.

I consider the RX1 pocket-able and thats a full frame sensor. My limited time with it (couldnt justify buying it) made me feel a variable lense system would work wonders, put a super tiny pancake lens on there and it would be a dream.

I consider the RX1 pocket-able and thats a full frame sensor. My limited time with it (couldnt justify buying it) made me feel a variable lense system would work wonders, put a super tiny pancake lens on there and it would be a dream.

And it would be wonderful if it was a collapsible power zoom. :p

magenta

My dream is for a full frame Mirrorless camera, with all the normal controls of a DSLR, advanced wireless features that make it easy to controll remotely built in (time lapse) and an interchangeable lense system that has a full range of pancake prime lenses, making it the ultimate travel camera.

Also build in GPS, a great long lasting battery, a popup flash that can be aimed upward, and a view finder/electronic view finder hybrid that works beautifully. Also the ability to do 10fps + burst in Raw mode would be nice.

The rumored Sony NEX-9 coming late this year should be a full frame.

Flo_Evans

Does anyone have the Fujifilm X20? I'm looking for a new compact camera and this one caught my eye. It seems like a good travel camera and it looks great aesthetically. I mostly want to use it for travelling, going to events, parties, and gatherings. Or something I can easily carry with me most of the time.

[]http://i.imgur.com/2kTwJJf.jpg[/img]

I have an x10

I really like it but it is not without its quirks. IDK if I could live with it as my main camera... And if performance/size is your main concern there are better cams. What it really excels at is the "feel" the knobs and dials feel like using a classic rangefinder, the mechanical zoom is bliss. It gets somewhat let down by the cheesy rear buttons which break the experience but they at least match other cameras in this category.

The "dumb" viewfinder in the x10 is kind of useless due to parallax and no info (they added some HUD in the x20 I believe) and the goofy filter thread side makes it a bit of pain to use with filters (not sure if they fixed this) I got the 52mm lens hood/adapter which looks ace and allows filters but adds allot of size to the package.

just bought a fuji X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4.

haven't shot anything yet though as i'm waiting for the firmware update to install. hope that helps autofocus, since it seemed worse than my X100 after two minutes of trying to lock onto stuff in my kitchen :/

it is beautiful though. not sure my NEX-7 will be seeing much non-video use from now on.

just bought a fuji X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4.

haven't shot anything yet though as i'm waiting for the firmware update to install. hope that helps autofocus, since it seemed worse than my X100 after two minutes of trying to lock onto stuff in my kitchen :/

it is beautiful though. not sure my NEX-7 will be seeing much non-video use from now on.

updated both body and lens, and man this is night-and-day better than the X100 now. if my initial few minutes were representative of what x-pro1 owners had to put up with for the best part of a year, ouch.

RuGalz

ah, we have different definition of what is pocketable I guess. For me, rx100 is and anything bigger pretty much isn't. And at that size plus everything being electronic, battery life just sucks IMO. I like go on 2-3 days or longer without having to worry about battery compared to my buddy's em5 for example when we shoot together (no battery grip). I do like the idea of interchangeable lens version of RX1. I just hope they can do better with ergonomics, my biggest grip with Sony's system.

ah, we have different definition of what is pocketable I guess. For me, rx100 is and anything bigger pretty much isn't. And at that size plus everything being electronic, battery life just sucks IMO. I like go on 2-3 days or longer without having to worry about battery compared to my buddy's em5 for example when we shoot together (no battery grip). I do like the idea of interchangeable lens version of RX1. I just hope they can do better with ergonomics, my biggest grip with Sony's system.

Do you mean the ergonomics of the menu system?

nitewulf

yes, and also a 22 - 110mm f/1.8 lens made by leica fixed on the body. and a magic button that lets you order food from anywhere in the world, top of the himalayas, the swiss alps, the jungles of borneo, the kalahari...

RuGalz

Do you mean the ergonomics of the menu system?

The menu system is definitely the worse part for me. In the case of Nex7, I feel the dials are flimsy and the system just doesn't feel quite right in my hands. Hw I can try to adjust to it if I have to use the system but the software just makes me fight with the camera and want to toss it out of the window, lol.

Bömb

updated both body and lens, and man this is night-and-day better than the X100 now. if my initial few minutes were representative of what x-pro1 owners had to put up with for the best part of a year, ouch.

It's great that fuji actually puts some effort in updating and improving their cameras.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Yeah by pocketable I mean in a pair of cargo shorts, or travel pants, not jeans. More i just mean "not annoying to carry around and interfering with the actual fun of traveling". I consider my s100 a true pocket cam as I can wear anything and it fits, I've just never been happy with its image quality.

Ptaaty

I don't understand some of these dream scenarios. They just aren't physically possible.

You either need to shrink sensor size or increase lens size. If you don't you will be stuck with smaller apertures or limited to "normal" focal range.

Now as sensor tech continues to improve - you can still get performance in a smaller package, but it will be due to small sensors being equivalent (enough) in performance.

If you want a full frame, it means full frame glass - bigger and heavier always, which offsets (and unbalances) the small mirror-less bodies. Realistically the significant benefit would be the ability to be pocket able with a couple pancake primes, but able to throw on the big lenses on other scenarios.

I guess this is why right now I fall in the camp that says these cameras just don't replace DSLRs. What they are is closer to P&S with better performance and control for normal focal ranges.

Sometimes I think I have large pants pockets or something. I find it very easy to put my NEX-5R along with the 16-50mm collapsible zoom lens in either pocket as long as nothing else is there. Makes me wish everything was collapsible, but, laws of physics will eventually stop everything.

Zyzyxxz

I don't understand some of these dream scenarios. They just aren't physically possible.

You either need to shrink sensor size or increase lens size. If you don't you will be stuck with smaller apertures or limited to "normal" focal range.

Now as sensor tech continues to improve - you can still get performance in a smaller package, but it will be due to small sensors being equivalent (enough) in performance.

If you want a full frame, it means full frame glass - bigger and heavier always, which offsets (and unbalances) the small mirror-less bodies. Realistically the significant benefit would be the ability to be pocket able with a couple pancake primes, but able to throw on the big lenses on other scenarios.

I guess this is why right now I fall in the camp that says these cameras just don't replace DSLRs. What they are is closer to P&S with better performance and control for normal focal ranges.

What about the Leica? They tend to have small lenses for their full frame sensor, all they lack of AF. I'd think over time better technology can make something that approach the so called "perfect camera".

Pagusas

Elden Member

You are right that they dont compete with DSLR's right now, and probably never will compete with ones that have no body/weight/size limitations, and thats ok. What I want is equivilant to a 6d in a NEX body, which I feel we are getting VERY close to.

When I need to take commercial quality photos, I'll bring the 5d with me, and that will be on very specific, paid shoots, or ones where the goal is the photography, and not the experience.

When the goal is to have a good time and a new experience in life, while also wanting to be able to capture that in a better than "vacation quality" shoot, that's where I want this nice compact for, and am more then willing to pay for it. And the direction has already been established now its just a fight to see who gets there first. My money is on Sony as they seem to want to hit that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom