• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You´re seriously awesome! I´ll play around with this a little bit and see what I´ll be able to come up with.

I figured you'd probably like to see what a vectorized slow motion sample looks like, I only had my iPhone with me this weekend but I made this quick sample. First clip is my dog winston at 30fps realtime, second part is the same clip only played back at 1/10th the speed using a vector slow motion program that I have to estimate frames. You can see where it falls apart trying to guess on things. If you are going to use something like this make sure you have as little motion blur as possible by upping your shutter speed to about 2x's your frame rate. Sadly not really easily controllable on an iphone, but I'll post better samples next week with the 5Dm3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4Ae0mhxgs&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

tino

Banned
Just got some metallic paper prints back from Adorama. Amazing viewing angle. Night scenes and overcast sky look incredibly deep. However skin tone and green stuff still look a bit weird. I think I am going to go with paper metallic print for night photos from now on. It's only about 20% more expensive than the lustre prints. Lustre prints has very accurate color reproduction but the viewing angle is narrow.

I also ordered an actual metal print from WHCC, let's see if it look better than paper metal print.

Ember128

Have you ever worked with the 50mm Macro lens? I am debating on which lens I should get... the 100mm or 50mm.

I can head over to B&H and get a used 100mm Macro for like $429 which is a good deal, but wanted to see if you have a personal preference.

I would definitely go for the 100mm over the 50mm.

The Depth of Field you get, and the bokeh you get are partly a function of the focal length of the lens, so the further out the lens goes, the more dramatic the bokeh is.

Personally, I use a Canon 70-200mmL F4 non-is and extension tubes, which is really awesome.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just got some metallic paper prints back from Adorama. Amazing viewing angle. Night scenes and overcast sky look incredibly deep. However skin tone and green stuff still look a bit weird. I think I am going to go with paper metallic print for night photos from now on. It's only about 20% more expensive than the lustre prints. Lustre prints has very accurate color reproduction but the viewing angle is narrow.

I also ordered an actual metal print from WHCC, let's see if it look better than paper metal print.

be careful with metal prints, they are very fragile and delicate, they scratch super easy. The only plus is that they are waterproof. I have been carrying them to art festivals and at this point they are for show only, if someone wanted to buy one I would order a new one and ship them that.

Also make sure everything looks right when you get it, i had some by bay photo that had this weird banding in the sky, and were very grainy and just didnt look right.

The process is really a pain in the ass to do metal prints and any number of things can screw up the print.

I'm pretty much done with lab prints my self. Besides the fact that they are just pumping out prints as fast as they can and doesnt seem to be too much care placed into the print. My printer prints much better color gamut and accuracy on luster and canvas.

Also, don't know why your luster prints have a narrow viewing angle, i have not experienced that in lab prints, or prints off my printer. My friend has some luster prints from adorama and I have noticed that in his either. What paper do they use?

I'm pretty much done with lab prints my self. Besides the fact that they are just pumping out prints as fast as they can and doesnt seem to be too much care placed into the print. My printer prints much better color gamut and accuracy on luster and canvas.

I was quite sceptical towards printing at home up till now. But the lab quality really is not optimal from time to time.
What would be a recommendation for a printer that is sufficient for my amateur needs?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I was quite sceptical towards printing at home up till now. But the lab quality really is not optimal from time to time.
What would be a recommendation for a printer that is sufficient for my amateur needs?

Canon and Epson seem to be the two most popular. From what I've seen they have similar color gamuts at this point. I haven't used Canon printers so I can't speak to their printers. I love my two Epsons, haven't had a single issue with either. Similar to DSLRs at this point, I dont think you can go wrong with either.

The Epson r3000 will let you print 13" wide, pretty good little printer.

tino

Banned

Also, don't know why your luster prints have a narrow viewing angle, i have not experienced that in lab prints, or prints off my printer. My friend has some luster prints from adorama and I have noticed that in his either. What paper do they use?

I was going to say WHCC uses Fuji Lustre paper. Then I took a look at the back of the print, it had Kodak Professional Endura watermark on it. Adorama also use Kodak for all their paper prints. I think Luster is just a super matte option. The matte texture is more "sophisticated" and thicker. My problem is black hair and dark coats have very narrow viewing angle. Tilt your head a little bit all you see is the texture. I am going to find a lab that offer Fuji luster now to do a little comparison.

(._.)

Banned
ended up getting a used 24-70mm lens. spent about $400 more on a lens than I planned but don't care. got to play around with this lens first hand from a new friend I made at a photography meetup. It's gonna be 35-105mm on my current body but that's still a great focal length range. Anybody own one?

Lumix

Thanks a lot. Will have a look at it, Linux support is always the main problem for me. Epson normally is much better in it than Canon.

I like my Epson R3000. The prints come out great after using the correct profiles for each type of paper.

Keep in mind, the ink capacity for the cartridges is not that much compared to the Stylus Pro 3880 (About 25.9 ml vs 80 ml).
Sheets of 8.5 x 11 are going to be okay, but if you are going to print more pages of 11 x 17 or 13 x 19 sheets, the printer will consume the ink pretty quickly.
Also, if you decide to use the R3000 for a multiple print project, you have plan your paper usage accordingly. Switching from ink for matte paper, to luster or glossy paper and back, is going to dump a lot of ink.

You are going to be spending around $30 - $35 per cartridge (9 total cartridges).

Lumix

ended up getting a used 24-70mm lens. spent about $400 more on a lens than I planned but don't care. got to play around with this lens first hand from a new friend I made at a photography meetup. It's gonna be 35-105mm on my current body but that's still a great focal length range. Anybody own one?

I have the older 24-70mm f/2.8L, it gets the most usage on my 5D Mark III at the moment.
I like the lens between the 35-50mm range @ f/3.5 to f/5.6. It's not as sharp on the long end @ 2.8.

I have a feeling this lens won't get as much use, once I get the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and the Canon 135 mm f/2.0L paired with each other.

I like my Epson R3000. The prints come out great after using the correct profiles for each type of paper.

Keep in mind, the ink capacity for the cartridges is not that much compared to the Stylus Pro 3880 (About 25.9 ml vs 80 ml).
Sheets of 8.5 x 11 are going to be okay, but if you are going to print more pages of 11 x 17 or 13 x 19 sheets, the printer will consume the ink pretty quickly.
Also, if you decide to use the R3000 for a multiple print project, you have plan your paper usage accordingly. Switching from ink for matte paper, to luster or glossy paper and back, is going to dump a lot of ink.

You are going to be spending around $30 - $35 per cartridge (9 total cartridges).

Thank you very much for these hints. The opinions on the web are precisely what you wrote here. It seems to be a very fine printer, that is rather thirsty and the ink cartridges aren't the cheapest.
Sigh, these printer companies are quite shady when it comes to their strategy to make money out of their ink. I mean this is more expensive per ml than Champagne.

Thank you very much for these hints. The opinions on the web are precisely what you wrote here. It seems to be a very fine printer, that is rather thirsty and the ink cartridges aren't the cheapest.
Sigh, these printer companies are quite shady when it comes to their strategy to make money out of their ink. I mean this is more expensive per ml than Champagne.

I got the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MarkII for $150 during a rebate deal last year.

I've done about 100 4*6, 30 5*7, 25 8*10 and 2 13*19 and I'm only now having to replace some cartridges (yellow and cyan). I really love this printer. If I could only figure out why it seems to crop a couple MM off on the right side of landscape shots; it's not tough to compensate for it though.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
When I was on the hunt for a macro lens, I had the chance to try this lens for a couple of days. Going from what I was used to, the image quality was excellent. With the lens itself feeling light, but very solid and decent to hold.

In the end the lens is what spurred me on to buying a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM. (I only went for the 100mm to give me the extra distance between me and my subjects. Less chance to disturb them etc). I can show you some examples of both lenses if it helps at all.

As for the wideangle, I've had a Sigma 10-20mm and a Tamron 10-24mm. Both were great lenses, with very similar image quality, but overall I would give the Sigma a slight edge. I also had to get the Tamron repaired recently because the lens casing started to become loose from the part connected to the mount. (Intro2020 did a great job fixing and also cleaning the lens. It came back looking brand new).

I've been mulling this stuff over Raknar - got plenty of mulling time because I ain't got the cash yet (it is locked up in a house that's being sold). I think you have persuaded me. Or maybe persuaded me a bit more than I thought.

Because I've worked out I can (just) afford the EF 100mm f2.8L Macro and a secondhand Sigma 10-20.

Thought about doubling the 60mm macro for portraits, but I can do that with the 50mm just as well. And fuck the 30mm prime, that dream can wait. Just can't wait to get my hands on these beauties.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of new when it comes to cameras, but I was wondering if the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS is a good beginner point and click camera? It's this one - it's on sale right now for $129.99.

I already have a point and shoot; however I never really liked it. The current camera I have is a FujiFilm FinePix J30 - this one.

I'm not really into photography but I'd like to have a camera where I can start to explore picture taking. I don't want to invest in a DSLR just yet because I don't know how invested I'd get into it, so I thought I'd get a nicer Point and Click first. Any advice?

I'm kind of new when it comes to cameras, but I was wondering if the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS is a good beginner point and click camera? It's this one - it's on sale right now for $129.99.

I already have a point and shoot; however I never really liked it. The current camera I have is a FujiFilm FinePix J30 - this one.

I'm not really into photography but I'd like to have a camera where I can start to explore picture taking. I don't want to invest in a DSLR just yet because I don't know how invested I'd get into it, so I thought I'd get a nicer Point and Click first. Any advice?

Wrong camera if you really mean the last point.

You can actually learn with any camera, but some make it easier for you than others. I get that your budget is limited and you're not interested in interchangeable lens cameras (DSLRs and mirrorless cameras) so I'm not going to recommend something you don't really want.

Your option is to go for an enthusiast, compact model. Bigger sensor, shorter zoom but brighter lens (allows some depth of field experiments and makes it easier to shoot in dim conditions) and more direct controls to "explore picture taking" as you put it.

It's increasingly a crowded field in the market, but you can get an overview of those cameras here:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2367736880/roundup-enthusiast-zoom-compact-cameras

These cameras are typically more pricey, but if you aim for an obsolete model or one about to be phased out, there are relative bargains to be had (instead of the Panasonic LX7, you go for the LX5 for example).

If you really, really can't go higher in your budget than I recommend you ditch the big zoom and aim for a model with a more modest zoom. Bigger the zoom, more likely picture quality sucks.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Get an s100/110, it has the controls of a DSLR in a point and click body. You will learn how to use basic photography terms and tools with it. You'll quickly run into the limitations of compacts with it and understand what the fun would be in a DSLR. Its a great stepping stone camera into your lower/mid tier DSLR's like a t4i.

If it was me I'd just take the plung and buy a t4i, as thats exactly what I did years ago when I got my first DSLR (T1i) and I couldnt have been happier with the route I took.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

A used NEX 3 could be up your alley. There's on on www.keh.com (Sony E-Mount) section for $275.

tino

Banned

There is no good camera in that price range. I suggest you double your budget.

tino

Banned
I don't trust the current Pentax. The Pentax Q was a very cynical design. I don't trust Ricoh either. They ran the good name of GR1v into the ground with GRD3 GRD4. If Nokia could custom order an 1 inch sensor why couldn't Ricoh get one for the GRD3? Obviously Ricoh only care about milking it dry.

Jumping on the large sensor after Fuji made this catergory popular again is totally lame sause.

Zyzyxxz

I don't trust the current Pentax. The Pentax Q was a very cynical design. I don't trust Ricoh either. They ran the good name of GR1v into the ground with GRD3 GRD4. If Nokia could custom order an 1 inch sensor why couldn't Ricoh get one for the GRD3? Obviously Ricoh only care about milking it dry.

Jumping on the large sensor after Fuji made this catergory popular again is totally lame sause.

Only lame if they don't deliver but maybe we'll get something terrible who knows.

What?

Ricoh have always been conservative about the technology in their digitals. They don't have the volume to move larger sensors at the scale that Sony or Nokia do. Even the GXR had pretty pedestrian responsiveness. And, honestly, the technology in their film compacts was nothing amazing, either. What they're known for is their photographer-oriented interfaces, small size, and build quality. And the GRD3/4 were on point with that (and as a perk, the 4 had hybrid CD/PDAF on-sensor before most other companies did).

It's good to hear about the Coolpix A's price drop. The original MSRP was pretty cynical.

besada

Banned
I'm planning on purchasing a new changeable lens camera, in particular a T4i -- largely based off recommendations from GAF and elsewhere.

So, I'm wondering if GAF knows the best reliable place to get it less expensively, and any lens must-haves? I'm seeing it selling with either one of two lens combos -- an 18-55mm or an 18-135mm. Primotronix has it with both an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm for $749. Can the GAFllective do better?

Advice, suggestions?

[I have a history with traditional 35mm cameras, and have used high-end non-DSLR prosumer cameras in the past. I like to photograph nature -- landscape and macro -- scenes, architecture, and other things that don't involve people. My total budget is just about 1K.]

I'm planning on purchasing a new changeable lens camera, in particular a T4i -- largely based off recommendations from GAF and elsewhere.

So, I'm wondering if GAF knows the best reliable place to get it less expensively, and any lens must-haves? I'm seeing it selling with either one of two lens combos -- an 18-55mm or an 18-135mm. Primotronix has it with both an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm for $749. Can the GAFllective do better?

Advice, suggestions?

[I have a history with traditional 35mm cameras, and have used high-end non-DSLR prosumer cameras in the past. I like to photograph nature -- landscape and macro -- scenes, architecture, and other things that don't involve people. My total budget is just about 1K.]

Do you want a DSLR only, or are you able to work with a compact system camera?

tino

Banned

Advice, suggestions?

If you have experience with SLR anyway, go straight to a 17-50/2.8 Sigma/Tarman/Canon or at lease a midrange 17-85/18-135 type lens and spend the rest on a body. There is no magic website to buy cheap camera gear. All my gears were purchased from different sites. Before the demise of google reader, I would tell you deals feeds on google reader is the best way to keep track of and research price change of a "class" of cameras. Now I don't know what to tell you, camelcamelcamel.com's data is not very accurate.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Advice, suggestions?

As for getting the camera cheaply, it all depends where you are. Best way I found is to find a competitive shop and know somebody who works there who gets staff discount. I found out too late that I already knew someone who worked at an associated store and could have saved me £150 gladly.

Your budget will likely be a problem with lenses. There'll be a big difference between what you want and what you can afford to get, though there are reputable sellers of used lenses that will save you significant amounts of money, and keep an eye out for Canon's cashback schemes too.

At your budget, and since you are already familiar with SLRs, I'd consider getting a slightly older model of the camera body (like a T2i or T3i) which you'll get a lot cheaper and to be quite honest, most of the extra stuff crammed into the T4i is frills and fripperies that someone with your experience will probably not need.

Now, about those lenses. Like I said, you won't be able to get everything that you want within budget, but for what you want to shoot it may be worth considering the following (and making difficult choices along the way):
- Canon Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, well regarded ultra-wide for landscapes/architecture and so on. Bloody expensive, but there appears to be a ready secondhand market
- Canon EF 100mm F/2.8(L?) macro. Well regarded macro lens, and not so long that it can't double-up for other uses
- Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II. Ever so cheap and a nice little lens for the money. If you want to do macro on the cheap it stacks up nicely with extension tubes (I use the Kenko ones).
- you'll probably want a more general-purpose zoom somewhere. I have two of the three kit lenses - the 18-55 and the 55-250. But maybe you'd find the 18-135 a better all-rounder. There are better all-purpose zooms around but again they tend to the expensive side.

(EDIT: note, I don't have the first two on that list yet, but I damn well will have them after the house sale goes through!)

Depends what you want to do mostly. In your position I'd probably go for a T2i with the 18-135, the 50mm prime and a set of extension tubes for starters. Be a struggle to get it into your budget though.

besada

Banned
Thanks, guys, especially phi sheep! I'm going to do some looking into the differences between the t2i and t3i on dpreview. I did find a 50mm prime for $100, so I could just get into the t4i with two lenses, but I'd sure like a nice macro. Maybe I'll have to wait on it.

Flo_Evans

Thanks, guys, especially phi sheep! I'm going to do some looking into the differences between the t2i and t3i on dpreview. I did find a 50mm prime for $100, so I could just get into the t4i with two lenses, but I'd sure like a nice macro. Maybe I'll have to wait on it.

a 50mm with extension tubes or a reversing ring can be a "nice" macro on the cheap until you can afford a dedicated lens.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
a 50mm with extension tubes or a reversing ring can be a "nice" macro on the cheap until you can afford a dedicated lens.

This is a great solution. Google 'Fotodiox Macro Tube' for a 'dumb' tube mount (won't communicate with an electronic lens) for very cheap (around $10). The electronic versions are more pricey.

Another cheap option is to browse www.keh.com for a vintage manual focus macro lens. Good brands to look into would be Nikon AI, Pentax Screwmount or OM (Olympus).

JCX

Hey guys, I am looking for a camera/camcorder for recording stand-up comedy performances. Ideally, it would be something a notch above a flip cam, but not super advanced either. Any suggestions?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hey guys, I am looking for a camera/camcorder for recording stand-up comedy performances. Ideally, it would be something a notch above a flip cam, but not super advanced either. Any suggestions?

What are the lighting conditions (full backlit stage, Spot light on performer?) , how will you be editing it, what is the size of the room, will the camera be locked down and filming the whole stage or will someone be operating it and keeping a standard upper body shot? What is the budget? What is your current audio setup and will you be able to run a XLR cable to the camera for audio recording or are you looking for some micing suggestions too?

JCX

What are the lighting conditions (full backlit stage, Spot light on performer?) , how will you be editing it, what is the size of the room, will the camera be locked down and filming the whole stage or will someone be operating it and keeping a standard upper body shot? What is the budget? What is your current audio setup and will you be able to run a XLR cable to the camera for audio recording or are you looking for some micing suggestions too?

- Camera will be stationary, on a tripod. Usually just recording upper body.
- Budget is up to $350
- Not as concerned with an external mic, but I want a cam that can use one just in case. I'll mostly be recording open mic sets, but it would be good to have the option for real shows.
- Lighting is usually dark room with stage lights on the front and sides. Standard stand-up lighting.

Pagusas

Elden Member
- Camera will be stationary, on a tripod. Usually just recording upper body.
- Budget is up to $350
- Not as concerned with an external mic, but I want a cam that can use one just in case. I'll mostly be recording open mic sets, but it would be good to have the option for real shows.
- Lighting is usually dark room with stage lights on the front and sides. Standard stand-up lighting.

That budget is very small for any sort of quality video. The biggest thing you'll run into is find a good low light camera that can take an audio input (as the build in mics on even high end gear is terrible compared to a direct source) so knowing that things like the s110 are out, even though its video is very good for its price.

The only point and shoot that does decent video with an audio input that i know of is the Nikon Coolpix 7000.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00427ZLRO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sadly its limited to 720p and its not the best in low light situations. You'll also be limited to the record length. So with that I'd say just look at a standard MiniDV or Flash memory camcorder in the price range as the quality is all going to be a wash and you'll get the record length you want. the CX260 would likely do you well and supports extenral audio: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K5507M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ussually for any comedy shows I've recorded I use our XF300, its little brother the xf100 would do you well but its out of the price range.

apana

I just bought a Canon T4i with 18-135 stm lens and 55-250 lens. I have never used an advanced camera like this before. I am going on a safari, so hopefully it will be useful. Anyone have experience with that camera and those two lenses? Is it good for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom