• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the difference of a L-lens and non-L lense of a 100mm is that (in Canon's case) it's waterproof and has rounder bokeh balls?

Someone watched Digital Rev. I would take their opinion with a grain of salt.

The L 100mm is superior in terms of optics and more importantly Image stablization. Allowing you to do 1/10 shots in low light, with a crisp sharp focus that you cannot do with the non L 100, without a tripod. The rest, such as the red ring, weather proofing, faster focusing are secondary.

To me, if you can afford the L, then go for it. It's superior in everyway. If not, the non L does a great job at a fraction of the price! It makes a great portrait lens and can do macro.

Pachimari

Someone watched Digital Rev. I would take their opinion with a grain of salt.

The L 100mm is superior in terms of optics and more importantly Image stablization. Allowing you to do 1/10 shots in low light, with a crisp sharp focus that you cannot do with the non L 100, without a tripod. The rest, such as the red ring, weather proofing, faster focusing are secondary.

To me, if you can afford the L, then go for it. It's superior in everyway. If not, the non L does a great job at a fraction of the price! It makes a great portrait lens and can do macro.
Yeah, they are the only camera-focused channel I subscribe to on YouTube - I thought they were professional? Anyway, is this the non-L 100mm f2.8 lens?

http://www.dba.dk/makroobjektiv-canon-ef-100mm/id-90127646/

I really want to do macro and bokeh shots.

tino

Banned
But what's the difference with bokeh and macro? Don't both get blurred backgrounds? :)

Bokeh describe the quality of the out of focus area. Macro just describe being able to take picture of small objects. They are 2 completely separated things. I think you are confused.

You know if you want want to shoot small things at home, all you need is a manual focus macro lens. You rarely use AF with macro photography.

And get some accessories. Look here is a cheap kit to start you off
http://www.meritline.com/merax-one-...SzhIMEFBQU94&source=dealnews&strcoup=MLCW03EN

Pachimari

Bokeh describe the quality of the out of focus area. Macro just describe being able to take picture of small objects. They are 2 completely separated things. I think you are confused.

You know if you want want to shoot small things at home, all you need is a manual focus macro lens. You rarely use AF with macro photography.

And get some accessories. Look here is a cheap kit to start you off
http://www.meritline.com/merax-one-...SzhIMEFBQU94&source=dealnews&strcoup=MLCW03EN
Thanks. Oh, it's more like, I want to take macro shots of a lot of stuff, especially outside, like flowers, and bokeh shots of the public in general, bikes, anything interesting in the city. So I guess a 100mm f2.8 lens for macro and another lens for bokeh?

Thanks. Oh, it's more like, I want to take macro shots of a lot of stuff, especially outside, like flowers, and bokeh shots of the public in general, bikes, anything interesting in the city. So I guess a 100mm f2.8 lens for macro and another lens for bokeh?

Bokeh is a subjectively qualitative idea. Many different types of lenses produce many different types of bokeh. As a lenses aperture increases size-wise the bokeh produced varies with the most blurry bokeh existing in lower f-stops. Your macro will produce bokeh but it isn't generally regarded as a lens specifically designed that produces quality bokeh. Invariably, the more you chase bokeh, the more you will spend. If you want to start with some great bokeh and get it cheap, my suggestion is a Helios 44m branded lens. It's a vintage Russian made lens and requires an M42 to EOS adapter for use on Canon bodies but the bokeh is especially beautiful and well-regarded though manual focus is required. You can get a reasonable Helios lens for a price ranging from $25-$75 depending on what deals you are willing to wait out on eBay.

tino

Banned

Post a ample picture so I can understand what do you mean by "bokeh".

Parallacs

Yeah, they are the only camera-focused channel I subscribe to on YouTube - I thought they were professional? Anyway, is this the non-L 100mm f2.8 lens?

http://www.dba.dk/makroobjektiv-canon-ef-100mm/id-90127646/

I really want to do macro and bokeh shots.

Digital Rev is the Top Gear of photography. They know that having extreme opinions makes the show more entertaining.

I like watching their shows, but just for entertainment.

I have the old 100mm macro. It is amazing. I haven't needed to upgrade because I do all of my work on the tripod with a ringflash (MR-14EX).

dmshaposv

Digitalrev have very little substance - and kai gets annoying when he is trying too hard to be funny with his sexual innuendo.

Also, while I enjoyed their show before - The show is now more focused in fancy gear and tech specs dick waving than actual craft.

The only digitalrev episodes I still watch and enjoy is pro photographer shit cam challenges. Thats what I want to see - people who can pull off great photos even under limitations.

The 100mm 2.8 is fine. 2.8 is fast enough for good bokeh. But if you're going to be shooting in the street and looking for macro, I would recommend a zoom like the Sigma or Tamron 17-50 2.8, don't remember if they have macro functionalities or not (I'm assuming you have a crop camera).

If you're looking to do great street photography at night and want bokeh as well, you'll need a prime lens with a shallow depth of field = faster than 2.8.

The Sigma 30mm 1.4 fits the bill better than most. It should still be available for $289, so snap it up.

Parallacs

The only digitalrev episodes I still watch and enjoy is pro photographer shit cam challenges. Thats what I want to see - people who can pull off great photos even under limitations.

The Zach Arias one was amazing. He killed it. I felt so uncomfortable at first with how awkward street photography can be.

Digitalrev have very little substance - and kai gets annoying when he is trying too hard to be funny with his sexual innuendo.

David Hobby said on his blog/twitter that it's actually Alamby that writes all that and Kai frequently has to be coaxed to say some of the lines.

I really enjoy DigitalRevTV, but I'm a Top Gear fan as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's considered the best camera I can get for video for $200 or thereabouts?

If it can do 720p/24fps without grain, and has good noise reduction/wind cancellation then that's really all I care about.

I just want something semi-disposable/giveawayable for PAX before I get something more permanent in a few months.

(._.)

Banned
Try mpb photographic if in the UK. They seem very reliable.

bookmarked, thanks.

You just want to know the fair price for a lens? Use completed search on ebay. The fair price is really what the market think it should cost.

Or you can check out keh and adorama's used listing. I think ebay sold price is more accurate.

Ah okay thanks. yeah it seems like the used price for what I'm looking to buy on amazon is $200+ more than what most auctions on ebay are ending at.

Any of you own a Nikon 17-35mm F/2.8 lens?

I think this is a good focal length for what I usually like to photograph and It seems to be going for around my price range on ebay (not over $800). Any of you have any thoughts on this lens? Gonna hopefully win a bid tomorrow :D

2real4tv

Anyone recommend a descent cheap tripod. Currently own a nex 5. Also, a cheap lens for it, currently I only own the lens kit for it.

Thraktor

What's considered the best camera I can get for video for $200 or thereabouts?

If it can do 720p/24fps without grain, and has good noise reduction/wind cancellation then that's really all I care about.

I just want something semi-disposable/giveawayable for PAX before I get something more permanent in a few months.

You might be able to grab a second-hand micro four thirds camera in that sort of price range. Should give you much better video than a compact, especially in less than ideal lighting.

tino

Banned
bookmarked, thanks.

Ah okay thanks. yeah it seems like the used price for what I'm looking to buy on amazon is $200+ more than what most auctions on ebay are ending at.

I think this is a good focal length for what I usually like to photograph and It seems to be going for around my price range on ebay (not over $800). Any of you have any thoughts on this lens? Gonna hopefully win a bid tomorrow :D

I prefer the 17-55 (APSC). Its equally good build quality and image quality. Its a hair bit smaller but you get longer range. The price should be close enough. The 17-35 came out alot earlier than the 17-55 and the pro photographers really use it like a truck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You might be able to grab a second-hand micro four thirds camera in that sort of price range. Should give you much better video than a compact, especially in less than ideal lighting.

Sweet, thanks for the advice!

Hammer24

Banned
Any video guys here?
I´m trying to recode a 50fps vid to 25fps, so I get a 2:1 slowmo.
What software would you recommend to do this?

tino

Banned
OK my fellow photo geeks, I have two good US printing deals I can recommend.

First

whcc.com

The site is primarily target toward photog professionals. You have to "become a client" and let them manually add you as a user. However according to a photo blog, the WHCC boss has said they welcome amateur users too.

When I registered they asked me to put in Studio name/size info. I put my the name of a photo studio at one point I was trying to start with a few friends. I am pretty sure them will let you open an account if you let it blank.

Next, they will print 5 free 8x10" fuji luster prints for you as "proofs" to calibrate your monitor. So that was really nice. My landlord lost the first package they ended up sending me a replacement for free. In the package besides the 5 free prints, they also have a tons of print, testure samples and paper samples. I was quiet impressed. The prints was very nice as well. They made my mixbook.com photo books look much worse now.

Second, adoramapix.com

Adorama must just started this venture and they have nice promotion.

If you open an account, go to bottom of your page and refer a friend, both your friend and you can get $5 credit. I just open one for me and one for my wife. The beauty is that they let you use the $5 credit on your first order so you if you are getting small run of prints you practically don't have to pay anything.

I haven't figured out how to use the credit to buy frames yet. It seems to me adorama and adoramapix.com catalogs are separated.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Any video guys here?
I´m trying to recode a 50fps vid to 25fps, so I get a 2:1 slowmo.
What software would you recommend to do this?

Video production is my job, we use Premiere at the office with some custom pipelines for work flow. For footage that I know will be used in slow motion I inject the footage into premiere, then usually duplicate it into a new bin, then right click on it and click "interpret footage" and change its playback rate. That way its playback speed is now independent of the sequence settings.

For general use if you dont want to get into video editing, you can use quicktime pro to do basic things like change the playback speed.

WoodWERD

I've just started researching and already need gaf's opinion. I'm planning on moving to China or Korea in the next few months and want to buy a nice camera before I go. I've had the canon powershot models over the years so this will be my first serious camera. I've followed the thread off and on and already think I'll be going with the X100s or one of the NEXs.

Which would you recommend for a novice who wants to potentially turn this into more of a hobby? I'm thinking portability may be king for me, so I'm leaning towards the Fuji. In my brief googling it seems a lot of people use these cameras in tandem, but I can't see myself investing that much money just yet. What do you guys think?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I've just started researching and already need gaf's opinion. I'm planning on moving to China or Korea in the next few months and want to buy a nice camera before I go. I've had the canon powershot models over the years so this will be my first serious camera. I've followed the thread off and on and already think I'll be going with the X100s or one of the NEXs.

Which would you recommend for a novice who wants to potentially turn this into more of a hobby? I'm thinking portability may be king for me, so I'm leaning towards the Fuji. In my brief googling it seems a lot of people use these cameras in tandem, but I can't see myself investing that much money just yet. What do you guys think?

If your going to (eventually) open up the budget for lens purchases I'd say a NEX, I've been playing around with one at work to figure out my travel camera delema as you can see earlier in this thread and have loved it.

If not, then the x100. I havnt had hands on with it yet, but I'm going to try one out next week before deciding on which route I'm going to go down.

Otherwise if you want a decently nice camera to learn from and pocket, how about a Canon s110, perfect travel camera, cheap price, and you'll learn all the basics of higher end cameras from it as it has all the controls.

Parallacs

Second, adoramapix.com

Adorama must just started this venture and they have nice promotion.

If you open an account, go to bottom of your page and refer a friend, both your friend and you can get $5 credit. I just open one for me and one for my wife. The beauty is that they let you use the $5 credit on your first order so you if you are getting small run of prints you practically don't have to pay anything.

I haven't figured out how to use the credit to buy frames yet. It seems to me adorama and adoramapix.com catalogs are separated.

Adoramapix has been around for 5 years, right?

I go on their website at least once a week to see if they have any deals on certain sizes/mats.

Their aluminized metal prints are outstanding. The large size ones really pop, especially if you are doing something like wedding photography.

Flo_Evans

bookmarked, thanks.

I have one, love it. I let someone borrow it and they dropped it. Nikon wants $600 to fix and they didn't even break any glass >_>

I would be somewhat nervous to buy one used from eBay, the AF-s motor might be on its way out depending on age.

I wouldn't recommend it for a crop camera. It is big and heavy and doesn't provide very much range.

(._.)

Banned
I have one, love it. I let someone borrow it and they dropped it. Nikon wants $600 to fix and they didn't even break any glass >_>

I would be somewhat nervous to buy one used from eBay, the AF-s motor might be on its way out depending on age.

I wouldn't recommend it for a crop camera. It is big and heavy and doesn't provide very much range.

I see what you're saying, thanks. Have you had any bad experiences with the motor going out on an ebay purchased lens?

Flo_Evans

I see what you're saying, thanks. Have you had any bad experiences with the motor going out on an ebay purchased lens?

No, but I have heard of this lens wearing out motors. This was one of Nikons 1st lenses with the motor built in, and some are quite old. Look for ones with "SWM" instead of "silent wave motor" on the bottom.

Just make sure the seller has a return policy and make sure there is no squeaking from the motor.

Has anyone a NEX-5N (or 5 , 6 or 7) and a Sigma 30mm f2,8 and can give some impressions? It's dirt cheap atm (around 95€ at Amazon).

yeah it's well worth the money, as is the 19mm. i personally prefer the latter, but anyone with a NEX might as well have both. pick up the sony 50 1.8 as well and you'll never need your kit lens.

as someone with a NEX-7 who just picked up an X100, i don't know that i'd want the latter as my only camera. it's more like something fun to take out on the weekend, or to use in pretty specific situations. you'll have a lot more flexibility and room for expansion with a NEX — i'd recommend the 6, or waiting for the new 7.

tino

Banned
as someone with a NEX-7 who just picked up an X100, i don't know that i'd want the latter as my only camera. it's more like something fun to take out on the weekend, or to use in pretty specific situations. you'll have a lot more flexibility and room for expansion with a NEX — i'd recommend the 6, or waiting for the new 7.

Get a XE1, problem solved. ;)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
X100's an amazing travel camera. For travel, most people are going to want great picture quality, a great flexible-use lens that they're not going to swap out, and something lightweight and discreet. I could take my X100 with me everywhere, from mountains to temples to bars and clubs, and the only attention I got with it was positive ("woah, awesome camera").

When you're at home and want a specific tool for a specific job, then grab the DSLR.

Hammer24

Banned
Video production is my job, we use Premiere at the office with some custom pipelines for work flow. For footage that I know will be used in slow motion I inject the footage into premiere, then usually duplicate it into a new bin, then right click on it and click "interpret footage" and change its playback rate. That way its playback speed is now independent of the sequence settings.

For general use if you dont want to get into video editing, you can use quicktime pro to do basic things like change the playback speed.

Thank you! Will try this. :)
Does the quality suffer much, when I prolong the slowmo effect, to say 10:1?

Get a XE1, problem solved. ;)

yeah that wouldn't be a bad solution, but the OVF is one of my favourite things about the X100/X-pro 1 so it'd be hard to give up. if the X-E1 had the hybrid viewfinder i might switch to fuji completely.

well, i'd keep the NEX around for video, i guess, since no-one else seems to like putting mic inputs on mirrorless cameras. but still.

edit: whoa, just checked and the X-E1 actually has one. that changes... almost everything. i wonder if the video is usable...

How much trust do you put on CIPA battery ratings? I've noticed that my NEX-5R shot in total of... around over 3200 photos, after 1.5 batteries. It's mind-boggling.

I think CIPA battery ratings are for single-shot stuff, right?

tino

Banned
yeah that wouldn't be a bad solution, but the OVF is one of my favourite things about the X100/X-pro 1 so it'd be hard to give up. if the X-E1 had the hybrid viewfinder i might switch to fuji completely.

well, i'd keep the NEX around for video, i guess, since no-one else seems to like putting mic inputs on mirrorless cameras. but still.

edit: whoa, just checked and the X-E1 actually has one. that changes... almost everything. i wonder if the video is usable...

If you are buying now you can get a XPro-1 almost the same price as the XE1 anyway. It may focus slower but it has a OVF. (I don't like the slanted shoulder so I never considered it.)

Maybe Fuji will refresh the XPro1 this year.

Pagusas

Elden Member

it completely matters on what frame rate you initially shot it at, and what you are trying to achive. If i was trying to do a 10:1 slow motion effect in a 24fps piece, I'd rent a medium format high frame rate camera and shoot it at 240 fps. (which I recently did and it was awesome!)

If you are just shooting 60fps and trying to drop it to 24, then the best youll get is a little less then 2.5/1 slow motion with quality held in tact. If you do 10/1 you'll be getting a lot of duplicated frames and it will just look jittery and worse with frame blending turned on.

Ptaaty

How much trust do you put on CIPA battery ratings? I've noticed that my NEX-5R shot in total of... around over 3200 photos, after 1.5 batteries. It's mind-boggling.

I think CIPA battery ratings are for single-shot stuff, right?

It depends how you are shooting. You can google the CIPA standard for how they measure. You can get more or less than CIPA.

Variables: use of on board flash, use of viewfinder vs LCD, temp, battery age, file quality settings (pretty much all aspects, from size, in camera processing - lens correction, etc).

RuGalz

OK my fellow photo geeks, I have two good US printing deals I can recommend.

I know printing is a pretty big topic and I only print stuff casually when family wants it, so I never really looked into the topic. What's the difference between using these supposedly more professional places vs regular places like Costco/Walgreens etc? From what I can tell the stuff I printed from those places pretty much match with what I see on the screen. So is it papper/ink quality and/or better calibration that makes the differences?

tino

Banned
I know printing is a pretty big topic and I only print stuff casually when family wants it, so I never really looked into the topic. What's the difference between using these supposedly more professional places vs regular places like Costco/Walgreens etc? From what I can tell the stuff I printed from those places pretty much match with what I see on the screen. So is it papper/ink quality and/or better calibration that makes the differences?

Why don't you order from both and find out yourself. Practically every printing outlet has free 4x6 prints promotion.

Oh I found out how to beat adorama's system, you use account A to refer to account B. If you order min of $10 stuff from account B, both A and B will get $5 credit. So if you buy $10 giftcard from account B and send it to A, you only pay $5 and you get $15 credits.

I still can't use the giftcard on adorama's catalog though. I am going to use this money for metal prints.

aparisi2274

Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-USM-Macro-Lens.jpg

Accept no substitute! The 100mm Macro! Amazing lens for the price!

Have you ever worked with the 50mm Macro lens? I am debating on which lens I should get... the 100mm or 50mm.

I can head over to B&H and get a used 100mm Macro for like $429 which is a good deal, but wanted to see if you have a personal preference.

Thraktor

Sweet, thanks for the advice!

No worries. You may want to ask other folk which model to go for (I think they all do video, but I'm no expert on MFT). In fact, if you only need it for PAX, I'm sure you could sell the camera on afterwards for as much as you paid, basically being an almost-free rental. It's a handy thing to do if you want to try out photography equipment (particularly lenses, which hold their value well).

(._.)

Banned
You guys probably already know this but be careful when ordering expensive lenses from the internet. Saw a crazy good deal for a supposed "display model" of a 24-70mm nikon on Amazon. Person said to email them for more info. When I did the lens was gone and they started asking for my address to send to Amazon. I gave them it and I got the fakest Amazon invoice asking for a moneyorder made out to some place in greece LOL. Something felt up when they asked me for my info to forward to them since they took the lens down just for me :s

sneaky77

You guys probably already know this but be careful when ordering expensive lenses from the internet. Saw a crazy good deal for a supposed "display model" of a 24-70mm nikon on Amazon. Person said to email them for more info. When I did the lens was gone and they started asking for my address to send to Amazon. I gave them it and I got the fakest Amazon invoice asking for a moneyorder made out to some place in greece LOL. Something felt up when they asked me for my info to forward to them since they took the lens down just for me :s

Did you report them to Amazon?

Pagusas

Elden Member

Here's a quick test video I made from a random shoot I had this week to give you an idea of what the different slow motion rates look like when dropping from a 60fps source (As most of your consumer equipment will let you film at 60fps). Keep in mind I did not use any advanced interpolation for the 10:1, Instead just the built in frame blend to smooth it out a little. You can use interpolation, but at those rates its not going to look good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zedb6w4Xo&hd=1

Have you ever worked with the 50mm Macro lens? I am debating on which lens I should get... the 100mm or 50mm.

I can head over to B&H and get a used 100mm Macro for like $429 which is a good deal, but wanted to see if you have a personal preference.

I actually had the 50 macro, funny enough. It's a great, versatile lens. It can work as your everyday lens, while doubling as your macro. So if you need something to do both - the 50 2.5 is it! The 60mm is great too, but if you have full frame or plan to go full frame, you cannot use the 60mm

The kicker is this - distance to subject. The 100mm is perfect because it has just the right distance to subject. Imagine trying to take a pic of an insect - the 50 needs you to be really close, whereas with the 100, you can be a decent distance away to not scare it off. It also doubles as an awesome portrait lens.

Optically, the 100 is also slightly better. Mind you, I don't own the 100, but having owned the 50, once I tried the 100 at Henry's, I recognized right away the benefits.

If you have money to burn, the 100mm L is untouchable!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is there a certain model you´d recommend, with ease of use in mind?

You´re seriously awesome! I´ll play around with this a little bit and see what I´ll be able to come up with.

If you have a pro rental store near by ask if they have a Vision Research Phantom. They are about 50k to buy but I've been offered to rent one several times for a decent price. Most rental stores will give you a tutorial of the camera before you take it out. Keep in mind you'll need equipment insurance to take one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom