• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menelaus

Banned
Does anyone that bought a E-M5 still have it? I seriously miss my 5D every day, even though I was rarely using it.

The major advantage of the Oly is the video mode, but I'm seriously bummed about no 24p native. The low light performance also shits all over the 5Ds, so that is nice.

I could see trading in this system for a used MarkII at some point, though. I just don't enjoy using the Oly.

What kind of damage did it sustain?

Rough damage.

Nl47mSL.jpg

The lens has a auto/manual switch on the focus ring. It got a bad dent on it, and now I have to push it noticeably harder to switch them. Also a couple scratches, one on the focus limiter.

mNpYLHc.jpg

That's my setup, I knocked it over and the damn thing hit the leg of my exercise bike. Seems like it still works fine, but I certainly couldn't sell it as is, not to someone who thought they would be getting a twice used lens.

If it still works fine I may just keep it, I doubt I can sell it for much now, which was why i was going to anyway.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Does anyone that bought a E-M5 still have it? I seriously miss my 5D every day, even though I was rarely using it.

The major advantage of the Oly is the video mode, but I'm seriously bummed about no 24p native. The low light performance also shits all over the 5Ds, so that is nice.

I could see trading in this system for a used MarkII at some point, though. I just don't enjoy using the Oly.
Yes. Love it.

One of the best cameras I've ever used, from size to image quality. For what you get I don't see much point in full frame, if size is one of your main concerns. Medium format still beats 35mm and you get more options, at least for me.

Yeah, I still use mine. The menus are a hassle, but once you get it set up right, between all the customizable buttons and twin dials you don't need to use them very often. I use it with the 14-42 kit lens as my carry-everywhere camera. For dedicated shoots I still use my 5DII and big bag of lenses.

I'm just holding off on getting too invested in m4/3 lenses to see what Canon does with mirrorless- if Canon comes out with an EOS M model similar in capability to the E-M5 that lets me use all my Canon glass, I might move to it.

FreezeSSC

Hey so im looking into some feedback before i pull the trigger, I want to know what GAF thinks about the Nikon D5200. Im going to be using it for dance photography and also filming short dance choreography and competitions. now i should preface i've never owned a dslr before so i know i have a lot to learn but i am pretty determined to learn as much as i can. also if anyone can point me to a guide for lenses i'd much appreciate it.

Groof

Hey all I'm back again with some silly questions about the NEX-5R! This time about some modes. I've been shooting most of my photos on Program Auto, even macro shots. So I wonder if it'd make any difference to put it in the macro scene mode?
Also, what's the difference between Superior Auto and Intelligent Auto and which should I use when I hand it over to someone unfamiliar with it?
Thanks in advance all!

Hey all I'm back again with some silly questions about the NEX-5R! This time about some modes. I've been shooting most of my photos on Program Auto, even macro shots. So I wonder if it'd make any difference to put it in the macro scene mode?
Also, what's the difference between Superior Auto and Intelligent Auto and which should I use when I hand it over to someone unfamiliar with it?
Thanks in advance all!

I've noticed that Intelligent Auto will activate multi-shot modes at its own and it'll also have a tendency to raise the ISO before reducing the shutter speed to get its "proper" exposure.

As for macro mode... it might influence how the camera acquires focus, but I don't know for sure. It's probably a good idea to use the right mode for the right situation. Oh, and shoot at full telephoto for macro with your kit lens!

Groof

I've noticed that Intelligent Auto will activate multi-shot modes at its own and it'll also have a tendency to raise the ISO before reducing the shutter speed to get its "proper" exposure.

As for macro mode... it might influence how the camera acquires focus, but I don't know for sure. It's probably a good idea to use the right mode for the right situation. Oh, and shoot at full telephoto for macro with your kit lens!

So you'd say Intelligent Auto is the more noob-friendly of the two?

Alright, I'll try it out some and see if I find any differences. But what do you mean by full telephoto?

tino

Banned
So you'd say Intelligent Auto is the more noob-friendly of the two?

Alright, I'll try it out some and see if I find any differences. But what do you mean by full telephoto?

My experience with intelligent modes is that it will make you learn slower. I would advise sticking with the A and S modes. Thats all you need. Use P mode when you are with your family.

Groof

i guess he means to zoom the lens to the max (would be 55mm for the 1855 kit and 50mm for the 1650 PZ)
Ah, I see. Thanks!
My experience with intelligent modes is that it will make you learn slower. I would advise sticking with the A and S modes. Thats all you need. Use P mode when you are with your family.
Yeah I personally don't use it, but I figured if I'd be handing it off to someone else if it would be better to set it to Intelligent. I use P currently for my everyday photos, but should do you think I should try my hand at A or S instead?

tino

Banned
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Yeah I personally don't use it, but I figured if I'd be handing it off to someone else if it would be better to set it to Intelligent. I use P currently for my everyday photos, but should do you think I should try my hand at A or S instead?

You won't learn exposure and Depth of Field control if you don't leave the P mode.

Just a few pointers to get you started:

Day time, use A mode and hang around f/8 for max IQ.

Night time or indoor, use S mode and stay on 1/50-1/100. Set to ISO 1600 or Auto ISO.

alterno69

Banned
I just want to share my excitement, i bought a 5D Mk III today, ordered online actually so i will arrive next week but man am i excited, been rocking a 60D for a year and a half and it has been a great companion but i've been meaning to go FF for a while and the time is finally here for me. Got a great deal for the kit here in Mexico and i went for it. I'll be using it mainly for weddings and sports events(local baseball team)

Now to decide which lens to get, i have an awesome 17-55 2.8 on my 60D as well as the cheap but awesome 50mm 1.8. I've tried the 24-105 before on my 60D and i'm not crazy about it so i was thinking of selling it and getting something else, what would you guys recommend considering i'll be using the 60D + 17-55 for group shots and the 5d for the more artistic shots.

Menelaus

Banned
I just want to share my excitement, i bought a 5D Mk III today, ordered online actually so i will arrive next week but man am i excited, been rocking a 60D for a year and a half and it has been a great companion but i've been meaning to go FF for a while and the time is finally here for me. Got a great deal for the kit here in Mexico and i went for it. I'll be using it mainly for weddings and sports events(local baseball team)

Now to decide which lens to get, i have an awesome 17-55 2.8 on my 60D as well as the cheap but awesome 50mm 1.8. I've tried the 24-105 before on my 60D and i'm not crazy about it so i was thinking of selling it and getting something else, what would you guys recommend considering i'll be using the 60D + 17-55 for group shots and the 5d for the more artistic shots.

17-40L is god-tier on full frame. 135L is my favorite lens ever, great for portraits.

Meh, it's a hobby! You spend money on gaming, which is a hobby. Just have to prioritize. Also, Canon gear (especially L glass) will resell for about 80-90% of retail.

I guess. One of the biggest issues I have, however, is to what to take photos of! Most people I know do not want their photos taken. I only use mine for special occasions - which are far and few in between.

Donos

You won't learn exposure and Depth of Field control if you don't leave the P mode.

Night time or indoor, use S mode and stay on 1/50-1/100. Set to ISO 1600 or Auto ISO.

I often use mode A now (to learn the camera better) and i read on different forums that f5.6 is best for NEX-5 (N/R) with 1855 followed bei f8 for "normal" pics. I have to make more comparison shots with different settings to compare the effect of the settings.

It's astounding how much brighter the pics get at night with more exposure in S mode. It's exciting learning all those things although it overwhelmed me at first.

OT again, just bought me an Incase DSLR Sling Pack. Really nice. I wanted a smaller camera bag which i also can use as normal bagpack and therefor doesn't scream "camera bag". Gaf member Bii also got this.

Groof

Duly noted, I'll keep all of this in mind next time. Thanks a whole bunch for the tips!

tino

Banned
^ No problem

I often use mode A now (to learn the camera better) and i read on different forums that f5.6 is best for NEX-5 (N/R) with 1855 followed bei f8 for "normal" pics. I have to make more comparison shots with different settings to compare the effect of the settings.

It's astounding how much brighter the pics get at night with more exposure in S mode. It's exciting learning all those things although it overwhelmed me at first.

OT again, just bought me an Incase DSLR Sling Pack. Really nice. I wanted a smaller camera bag which i also can use as normal bagpack and therefor doesn't scream "camera bag". Gaf member Bii also got this.

Yeah its a starting point. For most of the lens, you can safety assume f/8 has petty good IQ. The idea is if you want to keep everything in focus, you set aperture to f/8 or smaller (smaller aperture means f/11, f/14, f/18 ...) If you want narrow depth of field when you shoot a flower you set large aperture (larger aperture means numerically smaller number).

DoF control it's not very obvious when you only have a kit lens. You can concentrate on shooting good compositions, evenly lite scenes first.

Good advice, I'd say. Put it in A mode if you need to control DOF (and make sure that the shutter speed doesn't go lower than 1/(35mm equivalent focal length / (a number from 2 to 7 depending on IS and multi-shot)). Use S mode if you need to freeze something.

Have you customized the custom key yet? That's the only way you'd get a separate AEL button. (You can exposure lock by default with a half-press of the shutter button, but I like my AEL separate)

Just remember that sometimes you just have to act fast and don't have the time to fiddle with settings. If that's the case, I'd put it on any of the auto modes or P. Do not be afraid to use Auto and P modes when you need it - a shot is better than a missed opportunity, no?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I guess. One of the biggest issues I have, however, is to what to take photos of! Most people I know do not want their photos taken. I only use mine for special occasions - which are far and few in between.
The trick is to learn to not care and go out and do street photography.

If you feel like too much of a jerk doing that, go out and look for interesting events that might be on in your area. Or take architectural or landscape shots. There's always something to shoot, you just need to find the inspiration.

Groof

Good advice, I'd say. Put it in A mode if you need to control DOF (and make sure that the shutter speed doesn't go lower than 1/(35mm equivalent focal length / (a number from 2 to 7 depending on IS and multi-shot)). Use S mode if you need to freeze something.

Have you customized the custom key yet? That's the only way you'd get a separate AEL button. (You can exposure lock by default with a half-press of the shutter button, but I like my AEL separate)

Just remember that sometimes you just have to act fast and don't have the time to fiddle with settings. If that's the case, I'd put it on any of the auto modes or P. Do not be afraid to use Auto and P modes when you need it - a shot is better than a missed opportunity, no?

These are all great advice! Just when you thought you'd gotten the hang of it, turns out you didn't, heh. I'll head out with my camera on a bit and try some of these things out.

I had it set to switch the metering mode, mostly because I didn't know what to put on it. But that felt redundant because you can switch that from the Fn button. I'll try out AEL as well!

Donos

Just drove one hour through the city (Berlin) and saw at least 6 NEX modells used by tourists (mostly 5, 5R and 5N). Sony should better pump out more e-mount lenses or more third parties should step in.

Sadly, also saw 2 iPad "photographers".

These are all great advice! Just when you thought you'd gotten the hang of it, turns out you didn't, heh. I'll head out with my camera on a bit and try some of these things out.

I had it set to switch the metering mode, mostly because I didn't know what to put on it. But that felt redundant because you can switch that from the Fn button. I'll try out AEL as well!

Hehe.

About the "number from 2 to 7" bit, it should be "2 to the power of (2-7)". Whoops!

Thraktor

I'm pretty happy with my Sigma 50mm f1.4, which is currently my only lens for my 5D MkII. It's not crazy sharp, if that's what you're looking for, but it's a good general purpose focal length, it's great in low-light, and produces some wonderfully smooth bokeh. I'm actually very tempted to pick up the Sigma 85mm f1.4 now, as if I didn't spend enough money on the camera in the first place.

Image quality wise, how would a NEX-6 with a 24mm Zeiss compare to a X100s?

Does anyone have any experience with both models?

IMO, going by common sense, IQ can not be much better for a number of reasons: 7 rounded blades against 9 on the Fuji and Fuji's xtrans sensor both go in favor of Fuji. But the real killer in my opinion is ergonomics. The x100s can fit in many pockets, not at all the case of the NEX6 with that lens. Also there's the optical viewfinder, but that's not your question.

tino

Banned
X100, X100s, and N7+E24 have different color palettes IMO. X100s has the X-sensor characteristic, which has noticeable better low light dynamic range. X100 doesn't have the X sensor but some how I prefer its day time color better (more traditional Fuji favor of contrary and "optimistic" color, sorry to use that word.) Nex7+E24 have traditional "Zeiss color" (an atmospheric, reserved and street photography style of color) It's pretty noticeable if you browse flickr.

All lens are sharp enough for their perspective sensors. From what I have heard, neither have great corner IQ.

Don't forget the Ricoh GR.

x100s and x-pro 1 have the same sensor; i'd take either over the NEX-6 for image quality, though obviously you lose flexibility with the x100s and a few features with the x-pro 1.

Thanks for your input guys.

Still don't know which way to go. So the Sony sensor isn't as good as the X-Trans?

I owned a x100 some time ago, but didn't like the AF system at all, it felt slow and unreliable. But I loved the 35mm focal length, that's why I would go with the Zeiss with the NEX.

Thanks for your input guys.

Still don't know which way to go. So the Sony sensor isn't as good as the X-Trans?

I owned a x100 some time ago, but didn't like the AF system at all, it felt slow and unreliable. But I loved the 35mm focal length, that's why I would go with the Zeiss with the NEX.

Go where your heart lies. There's no such thing as a best system, methinks. Just remember that if you have something that you don't like, you won't get far. If you really want a Sony NEX, go for it!

Lumix

I have had the same 60D + 5D Mark III combo for over a year already.

Since you have the 17-55 range covered already, I would go with a fast prime setup on the 5D.
Especially since from what I have seen of your work, which is portraiture.

A Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG USM + Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM combination would be ideal.

I tried the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 on my camera yesterday, and it does live up to the hype.
Very sharp wide open. It would be my ideal street photography lens.

You can swap out the 135L with one of these, if you find that lens too long or limiting:

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM (slow for sports, excellent for portraits)
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (fast AF, purple fringing @ f/1.8)
(These three become 135mm like lenses on the 60D.)

Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM

or

70-200mm f2.8L II IS USM (probably your best choice since you are covering a baseball team, yet still great for portraits.)

Eventually, I think you should sell the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.
This lens still fetches most of what you have paid for it.
Replace it with either the 17-40L or 16-35L II. You can still have the 17-55 range covered on the 60D, and have a nice ultra wide lens for your 5D Mark III.
Or, use the money on the new 24-70L II.

I usually use my 5D Mark III from the ultra wide to medium telephoto range, and anything above that, on the 60D.

Cfh123

I upgraded from my much loved Panasonic ZS3 to the ZS30 (the one on the right) - a jump of three generations. The image quality is probably about the same - there is only so much you can get out of a small sensor camera. But the ZS30 has all the latest bells and whistlers, and the focus speed is a lot faster.

I have a Nikon D300 but most of the time I prefer carrying a travel zoom around - it is much more convenient. I thought about the LF1 but it's 28 mm rather than 24 mm on the wide end, and the 20X optical zoom on the ZS30 is a lot of fun.

rcIv08B.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Some questions:

1)Will lenses I bought for Nex-3 (not e-mount) be suitable for Nex-7 with the same adapter? Will I be able to focus in viewfinder with them?

2)Can somebody recommend a macro lens for Nex-7? I need a really strong closeup for insects and stuff.

tino

Banned
Some questions:

1)Will lenses I bought for Nex-3 (not e-mount) be suitable for Nex-7 with the same adapter? Will I be able to focus in viewfinder with them?

2)Can somebody recommend a macro lens for Nex-7? I need a really strong closeup for insects and stuff.

1 Yes

2 Whats your budget? Do you need AF?

SLV

Hey guys, thinking of buying a Canon EF-S 17-55 mm F/2.8 IS USM tomorrow, for my 600D. Got a couple of events upcoming where i will really need it, as nice as the 50 mm 1.8 is it is quite limiting. And the kit one is just a piece of shit. So what do you think, is it a good buy ? Not thinking of going full frame any time soon.

SLV

Alright, just needed some last reassurances. As nice as the Canon EF 16-35 mm F/2.8 L USM II would be, i just don't have the extra 700 $ :(

Menelaus

Banned
Hey guys, thinking of buying a Canon EF-S 17-55 mm F/2.8 IS USM tomorrow, for my 600D. Got a couple of events upcoming where i will really need it, as nice as the 50 mm 1.8 is it is quite limiting. And the kit one is just a piece of shit. So what do you think, is it a good buy ? Not thinking of going full frame any time soon.

The alternative is the Tamron 17-50 2.8, another great tack-sharp lens.

514-Z9GqxnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Very Artistic! Beautiful background blurring. The best autofocusing 50mm ever made...

My honest advice? Sell the 17-55 2.8 and get your self a nice zoom lens like 70-200 f4 IS for the 60D. And keep the 50mm on the 5D3. If you need zoom, I would try to pick up the older 24-70 2.8 L lens for the 5D3.

Once you start using the 5d3 in public, you won't be touching the 17-55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom