• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can shoot sports with a $500 budget and a slow tele zoom. I would just give that up and crop the shit out of the general zoom.

I just check you can get an used Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for under 300.

Yeah you can. I've done it. He's better off getting the 55-250mm to go with it. It's a great lens.

Groof

Hey guys, a quick question about the NEX-5R's 18-55mm lens: can the outermost ring's function be customised? Thanks!

This is all sounding like gibberish to me already. I really need to read those books!

Primer on lens names:
"Sigma 17-70 f/2.7-4"

Sigma: make

17-70: the focal length, in mm. Two numbers separated by a dash mean it's a zoom lens, that goes from 17mm to 70mm. 17mm is wide angle, while 70mm is telephoto. ~30-35mm is 'normal', akin to the field of view you have with your eyes.

f/2.7-4: the maximum aperture. The aperture is a device that controls how much light passes through the lens to the sensor/film; lower number is a bigger opening. The dash indicates this changes with the focal length, so at 17mm, it's f/2.7, and at 70mm it's f/4. The lower the maximum aperture, the more expensive the lens.

Flo_Evans

You need to figure out what kind of you car do you need and where to install the mounts.

I think if I was actually in the market for such a lens I would go for the 600mm f/4 for half the price.

Also: Joyous news! my 17-35 2.8 is finally back from the shop ($400). =/ I feel kind of bad (buddy dropped it and payed for repairs), but the lesson is don't lend your nice glass to fumble fingers.

I also have to tip my hit to canon, they where MUCH faster and WAY cheaper when I sent a lens to them to repair (17-55 2.8 EF-S). I think this guy sent it to a 3rd party repair shop but nikon was quoting similar wait times and 2x the price. Another factor to consider if you are going to invest in expensive lenses.

as for the car... easy!

FsQSeLL.jpg

So yeah, i bought a lens based on recc from this thread a year ago. I love it, but man I just never ever use it.

At the time I only had a 28mm and a 50mm. I wanted a longer prime and was really interested in Macro. Someone here showed off some great macro shots and so I amde the jump. Fast forward to today, I got the canon 85mm 1.2 L USM II and so I rarley ever use the 100mm f2.8. I also used the macro feature once.

Turns out it was an interest I wasn't interested in.

I'm going to either sell it back to amazon or try eBay. Thought I would see if anyone here is interested. Takes cool macro shots, but it's just not for me.

Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro Canon

yHt1xJUl.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I think if I was actually in the market for such a lens I would go for the 600mm f/4 for half the price.

used man. Used. four best letters ever when purchasing photography equipment. Especially when your looking at glass like that, most people are generally going to take care of it because its so pricey new and to fix. But even stuff in very good condition, much like new cars, lose their value the second you take it out of the box.

Flo_Evans

used man. Used. four best letters ever when purchasing photography equipment. Especially when your looking at glass like that, most people are generally going to take care of it because its so pricey new and to fix. But even stuff in very good condition, much like new cars, lose their value the second you take it out of the box.

Agreed, I don't think I have actually bought a new lens since the kit with the D7000.

Donos

Hey guys, a quick question about the NEX-5R's 18-55mm lens: can the outermost ring's function be customised? Thanks!

what ring do you mean? the focus ring on the lens or the menue ring /wheel?

you can customize the functions of the whell (when you click the corners of the wheel). I have a 5N.

Settings > Key Usersettings (something similiar, translated it from german)

Hahaha, so nobody rents lenses in this city. Well, I found one guy, but he hasn't responded to my query, so that's that.

Shooting the wedding with primes. Room is small, with a low domed ceiling. Will likely be 2-3m from the couple for the ceremony.

Alright, so I listed my lens if anyone is interested. Priced it to sell, since I only need a bit more before I can buy my next lens. So I'm selling it for about 100$ less than anyone else is. I was going to just do the buyback to amazon, but they only offer it to the Nikon mounted version.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B7SGD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

299 for a 100mm Tokina f2.8 Canon Macro lens.

Anyone have experience selling lenses with any other suggestions?

Not in Canada; and the Canadian services I could use I can't on such short notice (yes, entirely my fault— I thought I'd be able to rent a lens in a city of a 400,000 people).

There's a Tamron 28-85mm f/2.8 that's in the range of affordability, but no one has one in stock in town, and the QC is apparently so shit you may have to try several to get one that autofocuses properly.

EDIT: actually, one of the sites (Lens Lenders) that said the 24-70mm f/2.8 was unavailable earlier today now had it available, so I've rented it. I'm going to be sweating balls about schlepping it around for a few days, but should be good.

tino

Banned
Not in Canada; and the Canadian services I could use I can't on such short notice (yes, entirely my fault— I thought I'd be able to rent a lens in a city of a 400,000 people).

There's a Tamron 28-85mm f/2.8 that's in the range of affordability, but no one has one in stock in town, and the QC is apparently so shit you may have to try several to get one that autofocuses properly.

EDIT: actually, one of the sites (Lens Lenders) that said the 24-70mm f/2.8 was unavailable earlier today now had it available, so I've rented it. I'm going to be sweating balls about schlepping it around for a few days, but should be good.

If you can buy a couple mid range used lens, you should be able to sell them with little to no lost later. It's just more hassle than renting.

KEH also has good return policy but you are not in the US.

Groof

what ring do you mean? the focus ring on the lens or the menue ring /wheel?

you can customize the functions of the whell (when you click the corners of the wheel). I have a 5N.

Settings > Key Usersettings (something similiar, translated it from german)

No I meant the focus ring on the lens itself, not the scroll wheel on the body. But I figure I don't need to change it anyhow, my current setup works. Thanks though :)

Donos

No I meant the focus ring on the lens itself, not the scroll wheel on the body. But I figure I don't need to change it anyhow, my current setup works. Thanks though :)

Camera > AF/MF Select. There you can choose between autofocus (AF) , manual focus with the focus ring (MF) and autofocus with possible correction with the focus ring.(DMF) - i have the SEL 1855.

What i really like with the focus ring is the digial zoom it makes to focus better.

Groof

Camera > AF/MF Select. There you can choose between autofocus (AF) , manual focus with the focus ring (MF) and autofocus with possible correction with the focus ring.(DMF) - i have the SEL 1855.

What i really like with the focus ring is the digial zoom it makes to focus better.
Yeah I figured that out last night, made so much sense! Works great and it feels like I'm sort of getting the hang of using it.

If you can buy a couple mid range used lens, you should be able to sell them with little to no lost later. It's just more hassle than renting.

KEH also has good return policy but you are not in the US.

Wedding is on Wednesday evening, and nothing for interest for sale locally right now.

Magni

Primer on lens names:
"Sigma 17-70 f/2.7-4"

Sigma: make

17-70: the focal length, in mm. Two numbers separated by a dash mean it's a zoom lens, that goes from 17mm to 70mm. 17mm is wide angle, while 70mm is telephoto. ~30-35mm is 'normal', akin to the field of view you have with your eyes.

f/2.7-4: the maximum aperture. The aperture is a device that controls how much light passes through the lens to the sensor/film; lower number is a bigger opening. The dash indicates this changes with the focal length, so at 17mm, it's f/2.7, and at 70mm it's f/4. The lower the maximum aperture, the more expensive the lens.

One thing about focal length: it depends on the sensor size (crop factor). A 17-70 won't give the same results on a full-frame, APS-C, µ4/3, etc

As for the Sigma 17-70 F2.7-4, I bought myself the Pentax one (F2.8-4 though, IIRC?) last Black Friday and it was well worth it. Blows out the kit lens in every metric except bulkiness/weight.

RS4-

Picking up the NEX5R with 16-50mm tomorrow, should I do it GAF?!

I honestly haven't bothered with any sort of camera in a long time aside from the typical xbrand digital point and shoot.

I do have a few older lenses around; but right in front of me I have a Nikor 35-70 1.33. Sadly it isn't the 2.8. I don't think it's worth buying an adapter for though.

tino

Banned
Picking up the NEX5R with 16-50mm tomorrow, should I do it GAF?!

I honestly haven't bothered with any sort of camera in a long time aside from the typical xbrand digital point and shoot.

I do have a few older lenses around; but right in front of me I have a Nikor 35-70 1.33. Sadly it isn't the 2.8. I don't think it's worth buying an adapter for though.

If you can get a NEX-6 for 150 more, go for the 6.

RS4-

If you can get a NEX-6 for 150 more, go for the 6.

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but I'm getting the bundle for 570. The 6 here is $900 with the 16-50 lens.

edit - on second thought, I don't know if I'll follow through as the lack of flash is somewhat putting me off.

Any alternatives to the 5r in the sub $600 range?

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but I'm getting the bundle for 570. The 6 here is $900 with the 16-50 lens.

edit - on second thought, I don't know if I'll follow through as the lack of flash is somewhat putting me off.

Any alternatives to the 5r in the sub $600 range?

Most NEX-5R kits should bundle a flash. Check with your retailer.

tino

Banned
For those people who are interested in use remote/manual flash on NEX or Fuji bodies, I got a couple Yongnuo toys today. Here are my findings:

I got a JJC brand NEX hotshot adapter because its reviews on amazon are some what more favorable than the other ones.

It didn't work the first day, so I thought I threw 13 bux down the toilet. Today I decided to try it again and it worked. I *think* it didn't work yesterday because the flash was not in the M mode. I tried it a few times, as long as I set my flash to M, or M-multi, it worked on top on the hotshoe adapter.

The shutter speed on my NEX-3 can go as high as 1/320s without the partial black bar.

However, it doesn't trigger the RF-603c remote trigger. I was not able to test my other set of no-name flash remote trigger because the battery ran out. The reason I got the RF-603 is that it uses normal AAA batteries.

The good news is the flash trigger S1 mode of the YN560 III flash work. Keep in mind that when NEX uses its tiny flash, it has a unnoticeable preflash you can not turn off. So I guess the people from Yongnuo was able to build the function into the YN560III and ignore the preflash. When the tiny Sony flash is used, the shutter speed is fixed to 1/160s.

I don't plan to use this thing alot because there is no case and I don't know how to carry it, plus you have to carry the screwdriver all the time.
============================================================
The more important thing is the Canon version of the RF-603c remote flash trigger work on the Fuji XE-1 beautifully.

I know from internet posts, the Nikon version of the trigger RF-603n doesn't work on the XE-1, and the older RF-602c does work on the XE-1. So I took a gamble and ordered the RF-603c.

I took me a bit to figure out how to set the channels. After that you are good to go. Just plug the RF-603c on the XE-1 and you can trigger the YN560III up to 1/200s. The reason I got the YN560III instead of the II was that I wanted the build in flash trigger inside the flash and also audio confirmation. Both are very handy features.

Flash trigger also work, I can use the build-in XE-1 flash to trigger the flash at as high as 1/200s. I have to set it to the S2 mode, S1 mode on the flash doesn't work.

RS4-

Most NEX-5R kits should bundle a flash. Check with your retailer.

Rep couldn't do it for me, the flash was still going for full retail; I would've taken the 5n + 16-50 if was able to drop the price down another $100 or so. Unfortunately it was either the 5r or 5n.

I'll give it a go for a week and see how I feel about it.

tino

Banned
Rep couldn't do it for me, the flash was still going for full retail; I would've taken the 5n + 16-50 if was able to drop the price down another $100 or so. Unfortunately it was either the 5r or 5n.

I'll give it a go for a week and see how I feel about it.

Are you telling me the seller take out the bundle flash from the box and charge you 100 for it? That's very shady. Watch out for all kind of hidden charges.

Make sure it comes with a battery and a charger.

RS4-

Are you telling me the seller take out the bundle flash from the box and charge you 100 for it? That's very shady. Watch out for all kind of hidden charges.

Make sure it comes with a battery and a charger.

Ugh sorry, I should've paid more attention to the other case inside the box, it is indeed the flash.

Thanks for that!

tino

Banned
Panasonic put a 7X zoom inside a LX5-type camera (with a 1/1.7" sensor), and call it LF1.

Is this the largest zoom ratio ever for a 1/1.7 sensor P&S? I only seem to remember a couple Fuji superzooms use large 1/1.7" or 2/3" sensors. And the S100FS was huge.

This thing has EVF too. Is Panasonic back in the premium P&S ball game?

The premium P&S market is alot more exciting than 4 years ago when you only had the Canon G7, G9, and 3X zoom Fuji F31fd.

Tonza

So I ended up impulse buying a 5D mark II. Well not really impulse buying since I've been looking to switch away from Pentax because of the lack of other lenses than Pentax's own. (or full frame upgrade path)

I paid 950 (euros) and the shutter count according to 40Dshuttercount is 2500. The camera looks to be in all intents and purposes like new. I think this was a pretty good deal?

Thraktor

So I ended up impulse buying a 5D mark II. Well not really impulse buying since I've been looking to switch away from Pentax because of the lack of other lenses than Pentax's own. (or full frame upgrade path)

I paid 950 (euros) and the shutter count according to 40Dshuttercount is 2500. The camera looks to be in all intents and purposes like new. I think this was a pretty good deal?

A very good deal. I impulse-bought a 5D MkII just two weeks ago, and it cost me a bit over €1000, and it had a bit of cosmetic damage. Haven't checked the shutter count on mine yet, but 2500 is almost nothing, I've shot that many photos in a long weekend.

diaspora

Living on minimum wage, I wish I could impulse buy, or buy a 5D at all. I'm still on my 2005 EOS 350D. I do have a question though; I've got a 50mm 1.8 II, a 70-300mm and, the standard kit lens. Would the 40mm pancake for $170 be a bad buy/ be redundant?

tino

Banned
Does anybody get the flash back of Olympus slowly phasing out the 4/3 system (not m4/3). Olympus said they are going to make a E-5 succesor too, except with m4/3 mount and some kind of pro adapter.

Why did Sony switched to translucent mirror in the first place?

Does anybody get the flash back of Olympus slowly phasing out the 4/3 system (not m4/3). Olympus said they are going to make a E-5 succesor too, except with m4/3 mount and some kind of pro adapter.

Sony seems to be all over the place with their model support. I have a feeling they're going to be doing the same thing when they move to full frame Nex's.

JDeluis

Living on minimum wage, I wish I could impulse buy, or buy a 5D at all. I'm still on my 2005 EOS 350D. I do have a question though; I've got a 50mm 1.8 II, a 70-300mm and, the standard kit lens. Would the 40mm pancake for $170 be a bad buy/ be redundant?

I think you're better off saving $120 more and buying a Canon 35 f/2 for $289. Will give you a wider view than the 50mm you already own and is faster than the 40mm.

diaspora

That actually looks hot. I'll see if I can have it transferred to my Blacks store.

edit: CDN$ 458.42 new, amazon Canada is bullshit.

Forsete

They wanted proper video, mainly functioning focus.
Also this benefited the speed of the cameras and some other things, but it stole some light which pissed a few people off (even if it was minor).

It really wouldn't surprise me if they did phase out the A-mount. I think it is holding them back a bit. They have got the huge success which is the NEX and now I think they would like to make a new mount for mirrorless full frame cameras (RX1).

But Sony is going all out on the photography front (one of their pillars), they have reaped some of the benefits already (NEX, and the superb Cybershots) so I think the A-mount will stick around for a few more years at least. :)

The last A-mount I got was the A900. I haven't bought a A-mount lens in ages but I would be sad to see it go. For me NEX is perfect, and a RX100 type pocket camera if I need one.

tino

Banned
Sony need a real phtographer to plan their NEX lens release. They need a proper mid tier lens. Good f/2.8 wides and fast f1.4 standard primes and good f/4 zooms. So far almost of Sony's NEX lens are ok-ish $300 lens.

Why is Sony paying Zeiss to make a 50/1.4? Zeiss is going make a $1000 50mm lens and turn off alot of potential NEX system buyers. A full frame 50/1.4 lens should standard for advanced shooters and in the $500-600 range. Sony only has year to show their efforts before Canon get serious about mirrorless. For all we know the next version of EOS-M will have hybrid AF.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sony need a real phtographer to plan their NEX lens release. They need a proper mid tier lens. Good f/2.8 wides and fast f1.4 standard primes and good f/4 zooms. So far almost of Sony's NEX lens are ok-ish $300 lens.

Why is Sony paying Zeiss to make a 50/1.4? Zeiss is going make a $1000 50mm lens and turn off alot of potential NEX system buyers. A full frame 50/1.4 lens should standard for advanced shooters and in the $500-600 range. Sony only has year to show their efforts before Canon get serious about mirrorless. For all we know the next version of EOS-M will have hybrid AF.

Does anyone expect Canon to actually get serious? they seem like a slow as molasses company when it comes to change, at least recently.

tino

Banned
Does anyone expect Canon to actually get serious? they seem like a slow as molasses company when it comes to change, at least recently.

They have made 3 variants of "compact cameras" to compete with the mirrorless cameras: G series (G15), G1x and then EOS M. They are alot more serious than Nikon IMO.

Canon just need to make a few high quality compact lens for EOS-M to rival the Fuji and m43 lens lineup. They don't even need to make any telephoto or fast lens, they are already there. Just make a few high quality wide angle lens like 18mm/2.8 12mm 3.2 and a fast standard 35mm/1.4. Oh fix the slow AF and I can recommand it as a system.

Forsete

I read a few months ago on SAR that more lenses are in the pipeline but haven't been announced yet.

Hirai needs to sprinkle some of his magic on the camera division now when they are serious about it being one of the pillars. These new cameras are really grabbing lots of attention in the real world and I hope Sony sees that. I hope the strive for becoming the worlds biggest CMOS manufacturer does not cloud their own camera division.

In the meantime I make due with my E24 and E18-55, and the E16 (which I never use, not a fan of wide angle). I also have the A to E adapter, but I only use my Tamron 90mm macro and Sony 50 1.4 with it.

Btw, have they even released a Sony G lens of the NEX system yet?

golem

They have made 3 variants of "compact cameras" to compete with the mirrorless cameras: G series (G15), G1x and then EOS M. They are alot more serious than Nikon IMO.

Canon just need to make a few high quality compact lens for EOS-M to rival the Fuji and m43 lens lineup. They don't even need to make any telephoto or fast lens, they are already there. Just make a few high quality wide angle lens like 18mm/2.8 12mm 3.2 and a fast standard 35mm/1.4. Oh fix the slow AF and I can recommand it as a system.

Im curious how the EOS M line will go.. now that theyre making the SL1. Hopefully it will continue to get developed.

:(

So I mentioned earlier how I listed and sold my 100mm macro lens. Went to ship it out today, and fucked up the lens big time when I dropped it off my desk. So now I gotta cancel the sale, and I won't be getting my GoPro just yet. I'll have to a paycheck or so. :

Sucks

:(

So I mentioned earlier how I listed and sold my 100mm macro lens. Went to ship it out today, and fucked up the lens big time when I dropped it off my desk. So now I gotta cancel the sale, and I won't be getting my GoPro just yet. I'll have to a paycheck or so. :

Sucks

What kind of damage did it sustain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom