• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLV

What are you shooting to say that? I handheld an indoor wedding with the Tamron with no issues.

Hmm, well the upcoming event is also a wedding and a respective event that happens before that. Was just thinking the stabilizator would be nice for hand held filming. As i film quite often with my DSLR(mostly from a tripod but still). Although i will have to ponder over this, as the Tamron is more than twice cheaper than the Canon.

Menelaus

Banned
Hmm, well the upcoming event is also a wedding and a respective event that happens before that. Was just thinking the stabilizator would be nice for hand held filming. As i film quite often with my DSLR(mostly from a tripod but still). Although i will have to ponder over this, as the Tamron is more than twice cheaper than the Canon.

Do you use a flash for your indoor shots?

SLV

Ok, for what it's worth I think the Tamron would be worth trying. Maybe just rent a lens for your wedding before committing to something, I love LensRentals.com

Yeah well, i am not from the US sadly. I will just have to think about it. If i don't loose much while saving more than half of the money. i might bite on the Tamron.

tino

Banned
About 500$ and no.

Since there is no good macro lens for NEX, you can look into A mount macro lens with an adapter.

There are a lot of Tamron 90mm/2.8 macro lens in various mounts you can use as an MF lens. You can get an used one for $200-300.

tino

Banned
Idk how I feel about this. I have 10 CS6 licenses for my company. I really hope they have some sort of small business account I can open.

Can you think of anything worth the upgrade though.

From Photoshop 6 to CS6, the only worthy features to me personally are: better crop features; focus stacking tool; panorama stitching tool; mask for adjustments and groups; keyboard customization.

I only consider the last two things I can live without. All the other things were available in other tools before I started doing them in Photoshop.

I can honest to god switch back to Photoshop 6.0/7.0 without too much problem. Doesn't Adobe let you install the old version for free now after they shut down the authorization server?

In fact I may have to go back to Photoshop 7. Acer is going to sell a 8" Windows 8 atom tablet for $380. I will be able to for the first time carry a Photoshop machine everyday. It only has 32gb of space so no modern Photoshop. It will be a perfect companion with the Ricoh GR.

Atsumi

I'm wanting to buy a Canon MP-E 65mm and MT-24 EX Twin Lite for my 5D Mark II to do macro work (obviously) but can only purchase one at a time (and the purchases may be a few months or more apart)

Right now my lighting setup is a 430EXII diffused with a coke can + paper towels... sort of like this

8607224207_256790fbc4_z.jpg

I'm wondering which would be better to get first? Should I try to master the TwinLites on my 100mm/2.8 or master the crazy 65mm with my current light setup (which is far from perfect)

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Can you think of anything worth the upgrade though.

From Photoshop 6 to CS6, the only worthy features to me personally are: better crop features; focus stacking tool; panorama stitching tool; mask for adjustments and groups; keyboard customization.

I only consider the last two things I can live without. All the other things were available in other tools before I started doing them in Photoshop.

I can honest to god switch back to Photoshop 6.0/7.0 without too much problem. Doesn't Adobe let you install the old version for free now after they shut down the authorization server?

In fact I may have to go back to Photoshop 7. Acer is going to sell a 8" Windows 8 atom tablet for $380. I will be able to for the first time carry a Photoshop machine everyday. It only has 32gb of space so no modern Photoshop. It will be a perfect companion with the Ricoh GR.

I pretty much go through the same process with each photo so unless they add some great new feature I don't need to upgrade. I think that might be where they get ya though. Eventually they stop supporting CS6 and new cameras come out. Then you need to upgrade and get locked into a monthly plan. At that point they don't really need to put much effort into adding new features. You are locked in regardless and most of us need PS.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Since there is no good macro lens for NEX, you can look into A mount macro lens with an adapter.

There are a lot of Tamron 90mm/2.8 macro lens in various mounts you can use as an MF lens. You can get an used one for $200-300.

yep, I was looking into that one.

Glad I got my CS6 upgrade when I could. Use it more for design than photography, though I've done some frequency separation editing on people's faces in the portraits I took for work.

Quite happily using Aperture and the Nik plugins (though I would love if the latter could be non-destructive, though, 120MB TIFF files are irritatingly large).

Hopefully by the time I want to replace CS6, Pixelmator or Acorn will have caught up enough.

I'm wondering which would be better to get first? Should I try to master the TwinLites on my 100mm/2.8 or master the crazy 65mm with my current light setup (which is far from perfect)

What are you more limited by, your lighting or your lens? Replace/augment that first.

Also, nothing wrong with DIY light modifiers. Have used poster board covered with aluminum foil for reflectors before.

why don't you get a real film camera, they are dirt cheap. What system do you have now?

Maybe I should look into that, but I'm still not totally committed. (Can't find a store that sells actual film cameras here.)

Speaking of systems that I have right now, it's Sony NEX. E-mount and all.

tino

Banned
Maybe I should look into that, but I'm still not totally committed. (Can't find a store that sells actual film cameras here.)

Speaking of systems that I have right now, it's Sony NEX. E-mount and all.

If you have 40-50 to spear, I will look up some deals on ebays for you. You can get either a fixed lens 28mm point and shoot or a real SLR and a lens.

Or just buy a disposable camera.

If you have 40-50 to spear, I will look up some deals on ebays for you. You can get either a fixed lens 28mm point and shoot or a real SLR and a lens.

Or just buy a disposable camera.

Hmm... actually, I'm looking at eBay for deals on film cameras myself. What do you have in mind?

tino

Banned
Hmm... actually, I'm looking at eBay for deals on film cameras myself. What do you have in mind?

Most of the film cameras are still usable. The trick is find one with working meter.

You can get a "new" one
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...o+-zoom+-aps+-single+-underwater&_sacat=15230

Or look for late Canon or Nikon film cameras since they were most popular. For example a Nikon n6006 with lens or Canon Rebel film SLR. Too bad these new ones usually come with a zoom lens.

Most of the film cameras are still usable. The trick is find one with working meter.

You can get a "new" one
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...o+-zoom+-aps+-single+-underwater&_sacat=15230

Or look for late Canon or Nikon film cameras since they were most popular. For example a Nikon n6006 with lens or Canon Rebel film SLR. Too bad these new ones usually come with a zoom lens.

What's wrong with zoom lenses on film? :3

Anyway, I found that I can get local deals that I think are pretty good after messing around with the actual search strings. I don't mind cameras being not exactly new or it having a zoom lens, as long as I'm getting a working film camera.

Even a point-and-shoot will do, so...

Good thing local deals don't need shipping for the most part.

I have to keep in mind shipping costs for international sellers, and even a $10 deal easily balloons to $50. Then again, it's still great... but I'll need to pair it with some old lens or something.

I guess I can adapt the lenses sometime later. (I keep thinking that if I looked for Minolta AF film cameras... hmm...)

So, I'm looking to upgrade and get a new camera body (Nikon)

I'm going between the 5100, 5200, and the 7000.

I do like how the 7000 has the internal focus built in so it'll work with pretty much every Nikon lens made since the 70s.

I just don't know, ideally I'd like to get one before Fall for my Vacation.

Right now the prices are;

5100: 496
5200: 696
7000: 896

Any thoughts?

Well, the '80s for AF. The D7000 will meter old lenses though, so you can shoot them in A or M exposure modes without chimping, including TTL flash.

Yeah my bad, meant the 80s.

I mean I'm more than overdue for a new camera, I've had my D40 for years, and while it got me some nice pictures here and there, I want something a bit more substantial.

Thraktor

I'm wanting to buy a Canon MP-E 65mm and MT-24 EX Twin Lite for my 5D Mark II to do macro work (obviously) but can only purchase one at a time (and the purchases may be a few months or more apart)

Right now my lighting setup is a 430EXII diffused with a coke can + paper towels... sort of like this

Do you find the 100mm limiting in terms of magnification of your subjects? I ask because the MP-E 65mm is, for all intents and purposes, a microscope, and is overkill for what most people would consider macro photography. Even at "only" 1x magnification, normal macro lenses are more than capable of very detailed photos of, for example, insects, and with the 5D MkII's 22MP sensor you've got ample opportunity to crop even closer in post.

That said, the MP-E is by all accounts an excellent lens, and if you do need that kind of magnification it's the only show in town.

Edit: Actually, to answer your question, get the flash first. You're going to have a very difficult time getting good photos out of the MP-E without very good lighting, so you might as well just get the flash first, as you can make good use of it with the 100mm in the mean-time.

tino

Banned
Yeah my bad, meant the 80s.

I mean I'm more than overdue for a new camera, I've had my D40 for years, and while it got me some nice pictures here and there, I want something a bit more substantial.

You still have the D40? Wow its probably older than my D1x when it died. You should totally go for a D7000, or a D300s. Don't settle for the crippled bodies!

You still have the D40? Wow its probably older than my D1x when it died. You should totally go for a D7000, or a D300s. Don't settle for the crippled bodies!

I'm seriously considering the D7000. I'm not looking to drop more than 900 on a new camera body.

I'm just wondering is what the D7000 offers really worth the price difference between the D5100.

I'm seriously considering the D7000. I'm not looking to drop more than 900 on a new camera body.

I'm just wondering is what the D7000 offers really worth the price difference between the D5100.

Off the top of my head: TTL off-camera flash, metering with old glass, AF screw. D7000 probably has a more capable focusing system.

Flo_Evans

AF-S or AF-D ?

AF-D is almost as good, but half the price of the AF-S.

:)

AF-S. I might get a used AF-D cause I like to have aperture rings for my older bodies. And nikons half ass live view aperture control.

IMHO hell yes. Just go play around with them at a camera store. If you are going to hang on to it as long as your d40 then it is worth it for sure. If you have time to wait around for some clearance sales I am sure they will be blowing them out soon to make way for the 7100 and D400.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have a Nikon D5200 and would like some sort of wife/bluetooth connectivity to be able to share photos easily. My thought is something that lets me tether to my phone on the go. And share a handful of pictures on a trip. I don't need high volume internet backup on the go or anything.

I looked at the official wifi module, and it seems it is limited to using the Nikon app, which is pretty poorly reviewed and cumbersome.

I also thought about a Wifi SD card, but I am unsure how those actually work. I have not seen anything bluetooth.

Any suggestions on what I should look for/pursue?

RuGalz

I have a Nikon D5200 and would like some sort of wife/bluetooth connectivity to be able to share photos easily. My thought is something that lets me tether to my phone on the go. And share a handful of pictures on a trip. I don't need high volume internet backup on the go or anything.

I looked at the official wifi module, and it seems it is limited to using the Nikon app, which is pretty poorly reviewed and cumbersome.

I also thought about a Wifi SD card, but I am unsure how those actually work. I have not seen anything bluetooth.

I don't use it personally but Eye-Fi has phone/tablet apps that can be used as upload destination, which is probably what you want. BT may or may not give you the transfer speed you would want anyway, depending on the devices.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

are you looking at the MP-E 65mm specifically for really close up work, or have you considered other macros? If the 65mm for >1:1 then I'm not sure your current setup will work.

I'd get the lens (no point having twin lights with no lens), and experiment with lighting. If you're doing still life you might be ok with cheap LED/work lighting

tino

Banned

I have an Eye fi. If you have Eye fi clienet on your phone it will download every photo to your phone slowly. Say 2 minute a photo. It doesn't use a lot of battery, maybe less than 30%.

I don't recommend it because the PC client is terrible. I can only share photos on facebook twitter crap and there is no option to download selected photos for editing.

I suggest you look at the other options. I think Panasonic has one. There is also a wifi jacket/micro sd card adapter from PYN?

2 possible solutions although they are quite expensive and I have no experience with either.

http://www.camranger.com/

http://www.cameramator.com/index.html

Hmm...

Now that I'm browsing through KEH...

What's a good Minolta AF film SLR model to start with? I have a feeling that I'm going to get a Sony DSL-whatever in the future, so being able to reuse lenses might do something for me.

The only requirement is that the model must be able to accept AA or CR2 batteries in some way, as nobody here sells 2CR5 batteries.

tino

Banned
Hmm...

Now that I'm browsing through KEH...

What's a good Minolta AF film SLR model to start with? I have a feeling that I'm going to get a Sony DSL-whatever in the future, so being able to reuse lenses might do something for me.

Don't get the low end one, go straight to Maxxum (Dynax) 7 or 9. The price difference is minimal.

tino

Banned
Hmm...

About the Maxxum 7, what's the difference between 7 and 7xi? Either way, I think I'm going to have to buy some batteries along with it.

You have to do it with any film body anyway. Unless you get very few bodies that support AA battery like the Nikon N90s.

All the Minolta "7" series camera are good. Whats the difference you have to wiki yourself. I have no experience with Minolta gears.

You have to do it with any film body anyway. Unless you get very few bodies that support AA battery like the Nikon N90s.

All the Minolta "7" series camera are good. Whats the difference you have to wiki yourself. I have no experience with Minolta gears.

Hmm...

I think I might just get a 7xi, one 2CR5 battery, and a suitable lens for it, then.

Speaking of optical viewfinders, well...

I literally WTF'd when I saw the cluttered viewfinder overlay. It sure looks like information overload! Thankfully it can be disabled.

Hmm

So the 7 is the newer model, huh? It's so confusing. (And no wonder - it's more expensive.)

Good thing film is never part of the model.

TxdoHawk

So, I grabbed a NEX-5R with the standard zoom kit lens. I do plan on doing some photography, but this will also get a lot of video use, so I want my first lens purchase to be tailored for that.

Primarily, I plan on filming product shots (think videos where someone demonstrates a cell phone as it lays flat, the camera pointed above it) and interviews with people. Desired output is going to be 1080p Youtube videos.

Is my best bet, then, a prime, probably the wider the better? I'm not too familiar with what kind of lenses work better for video on these "hybrid" cameras. I'm just assuming the extra sharpness and "brightness" of a fixed lens is desirable.

Edit: Assuming I'm right and a prime is what I want, is the 35mm f/1.8 SEL35F18 worth the extra money over the 50mm f/1.8 SEL50F18 for my needs?

Edit 2: Hm, apparently the OSS noise on the 35mm is noticeably louder than the 50mm, according to forum posts. I guess the SEL50F18 it is, then?

After reading up Minolta cameras and doing some rudimentary research, well...

Let me sort things out... for the "7" series A-mount SLRs...

7000 ('85) - the original A-mount SLR, complete with AF, compatible with almost all A-mount lenses as long as it's not a SSM lens. Tends to have LCD bleed.
7000i ('88) - Predictive focus (AF-C?), much less boxy, expansion cards that expand functionality
7xi ('91) - Viewfinder has an LCD overlay displaying information, eye sensor (they had that in '91?), supports auto-zooming (wat) with supported lenses
700si ('93) - Drops support for expansion cards and auto-zoom
7 ('00) - Seems to have 9 AF points, DMF mode exists (!), stores photographic data for 252 shots (f-number, shutter speed, focal length, ISO, etc...), LCD screen is an actual matrix screen, uses 2 CR123A batteries (what's that?), has a more traditional viewfinder, will support SSM lenses and has ADI flash metering.
70 ('04)

Hmm...

Think I can't go wrong with any of them?

I've noticed that as I go through Minolta AF SLR materials, I've noticed that a lot of things seem to be extremely familiar. Were the minds at Minolta working at...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom