• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceCold

What kind of camera does he want? How much experience does he have with cameras? He could probably get a NEX-C3 used for that price, but if he wants something to hunker down and learn on, a normal-size DSLR from one of the major brands would probably be more comfortable to work with. This is just my highly biased opinion, though.

No experience. Just to take pics while on vacations and special events. Could be a point & shoot or DSLR. Think of it as if you were buying a camera for your aunt or father.

MRORANGE

Saw this the other day :eek:

aYTSf6w.jpg

I really want one but I know that any film Nikon 1/5th of the price of that will have nearly the same functionality.

but damn that is one sexy camera, I don't even shoot film and I want one.

TxdoHawk

No experience. Just to take pics while on vacations and special events. Could be a point & shoot or DSLR. Think of it as if you were buying a camera for your aunt or father.

I'm going to defer to someone else in the thread then, it sounds like his best bet is a high-end point and shoot...and I haven't looked into those in quite awhile.

Magni

^ I'm pretty sure my grandfather has an FM3, gorgeous camera.

Sigma 10-20 is good. I personally prefer the 15 Ltd which I own because the flare resistance is amazing, very little distortion, and it's so small I have it in my pocket all the time. However I think the Sigma is slightly sharper stopped down at extreme corners.

I really do like the look of the 15 Ltd, but for that money I don't think I want it just yet, I'd rather get something more versatile first before buying some primes. The only prime I'd look at honestly right now would be a 10mm, but it doesn't look there is one :/

I'm going to defer to someone else in the thread then, it sounds like his best bet is a high-end point and shoot...and I haven't looked into those in quite awhile.

Fuji X10 for that price?

tino

Banned
Saw this the other day :eek:

aYTSf6w.jpg

I really want one but I know that any film Nikon 1/5th of the price of that will have nearly the same functionality.

but damn that is one sexy camera, I don't even shoot film and I want one.

Me too. But it came out too late. It was meant to be a collector camera from the start. I went with a black mint FM2n. Love the shutter sound.

Lumix

Hmm... Seems like nobody replied to my post.

What do you think of the Nikon F60/N60? I'm going to pick it up from a friend if I take it. Should I?

I am confused with which direction you are going.
First you were set with the Maxxum 7, then the Maxxum 5, now this Nikon.

If you going to want controls and handling similar to Sony's Alphas, or possibly the NEX, stick with an autofocus Minolta.
If you prefer to go with Nikon, get a windup FE or similar.
The older, Nikon manual focus cameras are pretty much bullet proof, compared to the newer plastic, battery-powered autofocus Nikons.

So my opinion is "no" on the F60 / N60.

Damaged

I am confused with which direction you are going.
First you were set with the Maxxum 7, then the Maxxum 5, now this Nikon.

If you going to want controls and handling similar to Sony's Alphas, or possibly the NEX, stick with an autofocus Minolta.
If you prefer to go with Nikon, get a windup FE or similar.
The older, Nikon manual focus cameras are pretty much bullet proof, compared to the newer plastic, battery-powered autofocus Nikons.

So my opinion is "no" on the F60 / N60.

Love my FE, had it for 17 years and its never missed a beat.

Hmm...

I have the feeling that in the long run I'll be more satisfied with the 5 instead of the low-end Nikon.

I actually did some extra research on the Nikon, and apparently it's good for pointing-and-shooting and no more. It's very much gimped.

giga

LR5's new upright tool is really damn impressive. I'm now exporting my edited architecture shots from 4 to 5 just to fix lens distortions.

Pagusas

Elden Member
LR5's new upright tool is really damn impressive. I'm now exporting my edited architecture shots from 4 to 5 just to fix lens distortions.

Any word on the final release date for Lightroom 5? Excited when it updates for my Creative Cloud subscription.

IceCold

What about this one: Canon Powershot SX500 IS

Considering it costs $250. It doesn't sound too bad.

The fuji xf1 doesn't look too shabby either...

RuGalz

I really do like the look of the 15 Ltd, but for that money I don't think I want it just yet, I'd rather get something more versatile first before buying some primes. The only prime I'd look at honestly right now would be a 10mm, but it doesn't look there is one :/

Well the Ltds get addicting... So, not a bad thing to stay away anyway :p

Magni

Well the Ltds get addicting... So, not a bad thing to stay away anyway :p

I'm going to end up buying every lens at some point knowing myself >< So the question is, in what order

Think I'm gonna do: 10-20mm, cheap 8mm Fisheye while I'm still a poor college student, then 35mm macro / 15mm ltd once I start making money, then 31mm ltd / 77mm ltd once I don't know what to do with my money anymore :p

IceCold

Final question, how does the. Canon powershot elph 110 hs compare to the canon powershot
sx500IS? It seems better to me (only good thing about the sx500 is the zoom I think) and seems to be a pretty good affordable point and shoot.

tino

Banned
Final question, how does the. Canon powershot elph 110 hs compare to the canon powershot
sx500IS? It seems better to me (only good thing about the sx500 is the zoom I think) and seems to be a pretty good affordable point and shoot.

Go with XF1, bigger 2/3" sensor size.

Are they going to allow us to continue buying standalone Lightroom releases or is it going subscription only as well?

From what I've read in an interview somewhere (DPReview?), LR should stay a retail product for the foreseeable future. But it didn't sound as it would be a standalone product forever. I think they will wait for the CC experiences.

RuGalz

I'm going to end up buying every lens at some point knowing myself >< So the question is, in what order

Think I'm gonna do: 10-20mm, cheap 8mm Fisheye while I'm still a poor college student, then 35mm macro / 15mm ltd once I start making money, then 31mm ltd / 77mm ltd once I don't know what to do with my money anymore :p

I hear yea. I have 15 and 35 ltd, sold 21 and 40. Got DFA100WR recently... It's quite nice too... I'm waiting for them to come up with new version of 31 and 77, then I will sell the 35, because I really like having Quick Shift feature on the lenses. I was only using Ltds for 15-50mm range for a couple years but eventually bought a zoom to use in events. The Ltds have spoiled me in terms of color rendition and compactness. For now, my LBA is cured, I think. lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
i agree that focusing on megapixels is stupid, and am glad that people will focus on things that will help photographers take better pictures, but a higher resolution also means better printing ability...which i suppose is becoming less and less meaningful, but i think people with slrs might be more likely to think about the possibility of printing their images.

Its true, I honestly didnt care about overal resolution until I started doing prints, suddenly that lower resolution camera starting showing its flaws. I think they are right though that the vast majority do not care, and I agree I'll take a better dynamic range and ability for a cleaner, higher ISO over resolution anyday.

But I've also had the pleasure of shooting on a medium format camera, and after that experience I have a new love for super high resolution photos.

TxdoHawk

So I grabbed that Adorama NEX-5R bundle deal they have going and it arrived yesterday. Super happy...although it seems charging the battery through the camera itself is slower than the dedicated chargers they used to pack into the NEX line. Seems like it, anyway.

I also noticed the flash prevents the screen from flipping up into "self-portrait" mode...not a huge deal, but I wonder if the microphone they sell has the same problem. This would be more unfortunate, since I want to do video with the screen like this...one more possible excuse not to blow money on the external mic just yet, I guess.

Its true, I honestly didnt care about overal resolution until I started doing prints, suddenly that lower resolution camera starting showing its flaws. I think they are right though that the vast majority do not care, and I agree I'll take a better dynamic range and ability for a cleaner, higher ISO over resolution anyday.

But I've also had the pleasure of shooting on a medium format camera, and after that experience I have a new love for super high resolution photos.

At what print size did you start wishing you had more resolution? I made 11x17" prints from 10mp 5D mk1 files that were absolutely gorgeous.

Pagusas

Elden Member
At what print size did you start wishing you had more resolution? I made 11x17" prints from 10mp 5D mk1 files that were absolutely gorgeous.

16"x20" framed for the livingroom look horrible from my Canon S100, where as my 5dMIII looks perfect (and I'm not talking about the given quality between cameras, rather you could tell the resolution wasnt holding well to print).

Yes 2 very different cameras, but honestly even 8x10's look pretty bad from the s100 compared to what I'm use to.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

printers print better results from higher megapixels even at smaller sizes. The resolution isnt just about printing huge, its about having all those fine little details in smaller prints. I have definitely experienced this in 16x20s with my new MFD.

tino

Banned
16"x20" framed for the livingroom look horrible from my Canon S100, where as my 5dMIII looks perfect (and I'm not talking about the given quality between cameras, rather you could tell the resolution wasnt holding well to print).

Yes 2 very different cameras, but honestly even 8x10's look pretty bad from the s100 compared to what I'm use to.

Just think, if you make a metal 16x20 print out of your s100 photos, your print would be more expensive than your camera hehe.

For what is worth. My only large metal print was made from a photo I took with a Canon G9. I actually made a lot of prints from that camera when I first met my wife. I have a pet theory people took the "happiest" photos from their first advanced ametuer camera.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just think, if you make a metal 16x20 print out of your s100 photos, your print would be more expensive than your camera hehe.

For what is worth. My only large metal print was made from a photo I took with a Canon G9. I actually made a lot of prints from that camera when I first met my wife. I have a pet theory people took the "happiest" photos from their first advanced ametuer camera.

My happiest photos are done on the camera I have on me when I'm with my gf :) Honestly a lot of photos on our wall are from our iPhone 4s/5's. As for favorite photos, most are with the 5dm3, most of the t1i/t3i and 7d photos havnt graced my walls as I didnt like them enough.

The iphone prints though dont look near as good of course, but thats fully expect. The s100 pics are not bad at all (well not horrible, They arent as crisp and you notice it close up on the standard prints, though they look perfect in 4x6's), I use it because its the best pocket cam I can insure will always be with me. I wish I could lug around a dslr all the time, but I cant :(

Groof

What's the consensus on the EVF for the NEX-5R? Is it worth saving up money for one in the future? I feel like I can get by most times with just the LCD, but as soon as it gets sunny you can barely see shit and the Sunny Weather mode for it doesn't help with seeing how things actually look.

Ah, well, in that case, I'd chalk the difference up to sensor size rather than megapixel count. A small sensor just isn't going to get you the same kind of tonality or microcontrast.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ah, well, in that case, I'd chalk the difference up to sensor size rather than megapixel count. A small sensor just isn't going to get you the same kind of tonality or microcontrast.

True enough, I'd never advice the s100 as anything more then a "better phone camera" for traveling, its just not good enough for anything but snap shots for the web/screen. sadly I'm still waiting for Canon or Sony to make a move with the NEX or M lines to get the perfect mirrorless with a travel size lens. I'm hoping some sort of advancement will happen in optics that allows for shallow lens to produce the same quality in DOF and speed as there longer parents.

I dreem of a day a shallow lens and close sensor can give me the same look as my 50mm 1.4 on my 5d. wouldn't that just be great?

tino

Banned
True enough, I'd never advice the s100 as anything more then a "better phone camera" for traveling, its just not good enough for anything but snap shots for the web/screen. sadly I'm still waiting for Canon or Sony to make a move with the NEX or M lines to get the perfect mirrorless with a travel size lens. I'm hoping some sort of advancement will happen in optics that allows for shallow lens to produce the same quality in DOF and speed as there longer parents.

I dreem of a day a shallow lens and close sensor can give me the same look as my 50mm 1.4 on my 5d. wouldn't that just be great?

It took 7 years for Ricoh to develop from tiny sensor GR Digital to APSC-sensor GR. I figure it will take another 5 years give or take for somebody to develop a full frame pocketable camera.

People won't satisfy until they get a digital version of GR1v.

Really fast lenses don't come cheap even when they're small. I'd wait for reviews before we start talking about them.

I actually kind of like how the Nikon 1 stuff punch well above their weight, despite their (relatively) small sensor size.

tino

Banned
Really fast lenses don't come cheap even when they're small. I'd wait for reviews before we start talking about them.

I actually kind of like how the Nikon 1 stuff punch well above their weight, despite their (relatively) small sensor size.

It's a rip off. More of a rip off than V1's original price.

Donos

What's the consensus on the EVF for the NEX-5R? Is it worth saving up money for one in the future? I feel like I can get by most times with just the LCD, but as soon as it gets sunny you can barely see shit and the Sunny Weather mode for it doesn't help with seeing how things actually look.

I have no problem with the Sunny mode at good weather. Only thing is that the colors are different (when i watch the pics on the display).

Maybe a LCD hood is something for you. It's not handy or nice looking but i guess it does the job. http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Came...od-for-Sony-NEX-5N-etc::5646.html?language=en

Price for EVF is so high (280&#8364;) that i would consider selling your 5R and getting the NEX6 or 7.

If someone gives you $1500 to spend on a portrait kit, who's going to buy a Nikon 1 system with this lens over an DX-SLR with a 50mm and a light (which the the SLR will fire).

I do think the CX cameras are overly-maligned, and have their place, but I don't think this lens makes any sense to produce.

Groof

I have no problem with the Sunny mode at good weather. Only thing is that the colors are different (when i watch the pics on the display).

Maybe a LCD hood is something for you. It's not handy or nice looking but i guess it does the job. http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0054NONU6/

Price for EVF is so high (280€) that i would consider selling your 5R and getting the NEX6 or 7.

I might look into one of those, actually. Sunny mode works, but it's the colour differences that break it for me, and it feels like you lose some details as well.

I had sold my Nikon D3000 a little while ago and was debating picking up a mirrorless camera. I've gone back and forth on mirrorless camera vs DSLR, and pulled the trigger on a Cannon 600D. I was thining about the 60D, but in the end, I decided to spend a bit less, and put money towards some glass.

It should arrive in the mail today.

tino

Banned
How does the Canon Powershot S110 compare to it? I can get it for $329. The XF1 costs $350.

The 1/1.7" sensor is marginally smaller than a 2/3" sensor. So its a flip a coin category. You can go to flickr and search for the samples from these two cameras and pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom