• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

At this point I'm thinking I should just give up on the Youtube-upload-without-a-computer requirement and just settle for the best HD camcorder I can afford.

Anyone got any recommendations for an HD camcorder that a) takes SDXC cards b) costs less than £300 and c) records really well in 1080p, for up to, say, 2 hours?

I haven't looked at any camcorders recently...

I'd also suggest for that length of recoding to get something that can take bigger batteries, or make sure you can have it powered from an AC outlet on location. Allot of them now have separate chargers and don't have a DC in.

Other considerations: mic inputs? Will you be able to get an audio feed from the conference, or will you be on your own. Even if you can't get a soundboard feed a mic input so you can attach a shotgun will be nice to have.

Flo_Evans

Do the flashes themselves need specific tech to be able to work off camera? Thanks

Most will come with a basic optical trigger for manual control (the flash will fire whenever it detects another flash going off). The nikon flashes can do some pretty fancy TTL with off camera flashes.

If your flash has none of that you can add a hot shoe trigger to it.

I recommend reading the strobist lighting 101. He goes over in great detail everything you never wanted to know about off camera flash.

nick nacc

Banned
Most will come with a basic optical trigger for manual control (the flash will fire whenever it detects another flash going off). The nikon flashes can do some pretty fancy TTL with off camera flashes.

If your flash has none of that you can add a hot shoe trigger to it.

I recommend reading the strobist lighting 101. He goes over in great detail everything you never wanted to know about off camera flash.

Will read. So the cheap way of off camera triggering is to have yur flash go off? Wouldnt that usually ruin the light?

Flo_Evans

Will read. So the cheap way of off camera triggering is to have yur flash go off? Wouldnt that usually ruin the light?

No, you set the power to minumum. It will not really show up unless you are doing macro stuff.

They also sell (or you can make your own from exposed processed film) IR filters which will block the visible spectrum and allow the IR light that the flashes see through.

tino

Banned
If you do't need TTL/off camera TTL (i.e. if you use reflector all the time),there are cheaper manual flashes. You can get a YN560 II for about $70 and YN560 III for about $90. I was able to reliably use the on camera flash to trigger the YN560 in day time.

Zoe

Anybody know a general time frame for Lightroom 5's release? I was about to pull the trigger on the teacher edition of 4, but if it's not too far away, I'll just wait.

Danj

I haven't looked at any camcorders recently...

I'd also suggest for that length of recoding to get something that can take bigger batteries, or make sure you can have it powered from an AC outlet on location. Allot of them now have separate chargers and don't have a DC in.

Other considerations: mic inputs? Will you be able to get an audio feed from the conference, or will you be on your own. Even if you can't get a soundboard feed a mic input so you can attach a shotgun will be nice to have.

Good call on the mic input. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be any good camcorder review sites like there are for regular cameras. I'm basically going to have to look at everything that's available in my price bracket and figure out which is the best on my own :(

Danj

Anybody know a general time frame for Lightroom 5's release? I was about to pull the trigger on the teacher edition of 4, but if it's not too far away, I'll just wait.

I thought Adobe had announced that all their products were going Creative Cloud/subscription only?

Danj

Mic inputs seem to be very hard to come by on camcorders in my price bracket :(

Looks like I'm probably going to go for a Panasonic V210 as there is an Amazon UK special offer where 3 days after it ships they give you a £50 Amazon voucher. I'll order the camera on its own on payday, then once I get the voucher I will use it towards accessories (extended battery, case, SD card).

RuGalz

I want to say maybe late summer for Lightroom 5. It's probably worth the wait if you already have 3.

It should be out by June 30, as that's when the beta expires, and they've said the product will be out before the beta expires.

Pachimari

So my Canon 60D has a red dot (I guess a dead pixel) when recording videos (not pictures), is that an error on my lens or on the camera house itself?

Thraktor

So my Canon 60D has a red dot (I guess a dead pixel) when recording videos (not pictures), is that an error on my lens or on the camera house itself?

It's the sensor. Don't worry, though, sensors usually have a bunch of dead pixels, and cameras are designed to automatically account for them. To fix it, remove the lens from your 60D, put the body cap on to ensure no light is hitting the sensor, then turn the camera on, and then off. Next time you use it it should work fine.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I could use some quick help trying to make a camera purchasing choice.

I've got a s100, t1i and 5d m3 right now. the s100 is killing me as it keeps having focusing issues when wide open (for some reason it will focus even when slightly zoomed in, but if she's wide open 70% of the time everything goes blurry and she wont focus on anything.

So I've decided to abandon it and move on. I love the NEX line and feel they are the closest thing I can get to having a DSLR and travel camera that will fit into my pocket.

So help me decide between a NEX6 or a NEX7. I'm leaning toward the 6 as its kit lense is more compact (I'll be getting a 50mm prime with it too) and it has better ISO performance at the upper level, which I do sometimes have to shoot at in my travels.

But I really like the tri-nav system on the 7, and its overal feel more.

Has anyone had experience with both?

sneaky77

I have a NEX7 and I love the feel and weight and handle of it, the digital viewer is very clear and nice, and updates with the changes when you use the wheel system to reflect the corrections.

Pachimari

It's the sensor. Don't worry, though, sensors usually have a bunch of dead pixels, and cameras are designed to automatically account for them. To fix it, remove the lens from your 60D, put the body cap on to ensure no light is hitting the sensor, then turn the camera on, and then off. Next time you use it it should work fine.

I'll try this but I have had it for 1.5 years or something, and it's still there but I'll try this trick.

Even though I have my Canon 60D which I'm using for big occasions, I'm considering buying a Canon SX500 which is way lighter and which I could bring with me everywhere with its portability. I also like its zoom and macro stuff. And it still takes better photographies than iPhone 5. Any inputs about this buy? I think I'm heading out in one hour.

I could use some quick help trying to make a camera purchasing choice.

I've got a s100, t1i and 5d m3 right now. the s100 is killing me as it keeps having focusing issues when wide open (for some reason it will focus even when slightly zoomed in, but if she's wide open 70% of the time everything goes blurry and she wont focus on anything.

So I've decided to abandon it and move on. I love the NEX line and feel they are the closest thing I can get to having a DSLR and travel camera that will fit into my pocket.

So help me decide between a NEX6 or a NEX7. I'm leaning toward the 6 as its kit lense is more compact (I'll be getting a 50mm prime with it too) and it has better ISO performance at the upper level, which I do sometimes have to shoot at in my travels.

But I really like the tri-nav system on the 7, and its overal feel more.

Has anyone had experience with both?

I have a 7. If I bought one now, I'd go for the 6, as the 7 is due to be replaced soon, and I don't need the 24MP the 7 delivers. I like the look of the sensor in the 6 better than that in the 7, despite the better specs of the latter. The 6 has phase-detect AF, too, for faster focusing.

I usually only find myself using one of the 7's top dials, because I'm usually shooting with manual lenses. What I don't like about the 6 is that you can't redefine what the dials do in each mode. So if I were to use a manual lens on the 6 in manual exposure mode, the control dial on top would only adjust aperture and not shutter speed, making it basically useless in that mode. But that's a pretty specific use case.

(._.)

Banned
keh is weird. I'm wanting to sell a lens but their quote sucks. I've noticed other sellers have removed theirs from the shop. It's going for the price it should be on other sites. why is keh low balling the fuck out of it?

Magni

Went ahead and bought the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6, can't wait to get my hands on it (a month from now...) :D

I couldn't justify spending more on a lens right now, but it seems to be great bang-for-your-buck lens.

Damaged

Went ahead and bought the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6, can't wait to get my hands on it (a month from now...) :D

I couldn't justify spending more on a lens right now, but it seems to be great bang-for-your-buck lens.

Great lens, got it last year for a holiday and love it. Fantastic for landscapes.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What do you guys think I should sell a used t1i for with a kit lense and 75-300mm standard lense. Its heavily used, shutter button no longer has a lot of feedback when pressed. But it would still be a great learning camera for someone. $100 bucks maybe?

TxdoHawk

Semi off-topic, but seems better to ask here than the actual photography threads: Where can I find good tutorials that talk about all the sliders and doohickeys in Lightroom's Develop module? I'm looking for something that will take the time to explain everything, without the assumption that I know anything about how to "properly" process photos.

Apparently, for some reason, my NEX-5R is a dust magnet. After a few months, I took a test shot on a white walll, and... well, it's pretty bad with dust spots showing up at f/11. Oh well, I guess I'll have to get a sensor brush and swabs to get it cleaned. I'd rather have the camera with my at all times, yup yup.

sneaky77

Semi off-topic, but seems better to ask here than the actual photography threads: Where can I find good tutorials that talk about all the sliders and doohickeys in Lightroom's Develop module? I'm looking for something that will take the time to explain everything, without the assumption that I know anything about how to "properly" process photos.

Adobe has a learning center with free tutorial videos.

Hey GAF, I'm looking to get a new camera bag.

I am currently using a CaseLogic Sling (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ISXBFI/?tag=neogaf0e-20), but I want to get a bag that can hold an additional lens.

Looking for a bag that meets the following:

- Holds 2 lenses + camera + lens
- Lightweight
- Weather sealed / waterproof
- Preference for a bag that can be accessed without taking it off for switching lenses
- Would be good if it had some way to keep the bag off the body or some ventilation so that it doesn't get too hot when wearing it

None of the lenses are large (the 85mm 1.4 being the largest and heaviest that I have right now).

Any suggestions?

tino

Banned
Are you guys into time lapse photography? I just found out Android has pretty decent time lapse solution. You can do everything on the phone without doing the importing, rendering and uploading on the on the computer.

If I can find an app that let me do cropping on the phone I might have to keep an eye on that Galaxy camera.

RuGalz

Dunno how much you got it for but there seems to be some kind of 10% off rebate going on right now at B&H.

Magni

Dunno how much you got it for but there seems to be some kind of 10% off rebate going on right now at B&H.

It was at $479 at both Amazon and B&H when I looked, got it at Amazon, and now as you say it's $429 at B&H :(

I'm glad it was "only" a $50 discount I missed on :lol

Darkkn

Ordered my first proper camera, Nex-F3 for 299€. Pretty sick deal considering the new model is 499€ and from what I read, not that much better.
Can't wait to get my hands on this. Took me long while to research these things before pulling the trigger as i'm completely new to proper camera terminology. Took me a while to figure out how to tell which lenses can zoom :)

Since i got this much more cheaply than i expected, I almost bought Sigma 30 mm 2.8 EX DN lens for it's simplicity and smaller size, but decided that maybe I need to first get used to these things before digging myself too deep into the additional lens hole.

Hopefully automatic modes are good enough so that my mom can take this to her trips, get good shots and not be confused about anything.

Ordered my first proper camera, Nex-F3 for 299€. Pretty sick deal considering the new model is 499€ and from what I read, not that much better.
Can't wait to get my hands on this. Took me long while to research these things before pulling the trigger as i'm completely new to proper camera terminology. Took me a while to figure out how to tell which lenses can zoom :)

Since i got this much more cheaply than i expected, I almost bought Sigma 30 mm 2.8 EX DN lens for it's simplicity and smaller size, but decided that maybe I need to first get used to these things before digging myself too deep into the additional lens hole.

Hopefully automatic modes are good enough so that my mom can take this to her trips, get good shots and not be confused about anything.

Perfect! The NEX-F3 is an entry-level camera, where it's more aimed at the point-and-shoot/smartphone upgrader. 18-55mm lens, no?

For now, don't worry about shooting modes. Take a look at the Shooting Tips, which should be in the Camera sub-menu.

For additional lenses, I'd probably suggest that you hold on for now. The kit lens is a versatile lens that can do a lot of things.

disagree with the above. shoot exclusively in A mode when you're getting started — pretty hard to screw that up with a kit lens, but will give you a decent understanding of how exposure works if you're paying attention. that 30mm 2.8 is probably a good idea, too, as it'll give you more creative control in that mode while forcing you to learn more about composition.

automatic modes are ridiculous for anyone. on a NEX, P should be fine in basically any situation.

I have a Sigma 30mm that I may be willing to part with if you ever get interested.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
disagree with the above. shoot exclusively in A mode when you're getting started — pretty hard to screw that up with a kit lens, but will give you a decent understanding of how exposure works if you're paying attention. that 30mm 2.8 is probably a good idea, too, as it'll give you more creative control in that mode while forcing you to learn more about composition.

automatic modes are ridiculous for anyone. on a NEX, P should be fine in basically any situation.

A mode is best mode. I still use A mode even for landscapes.

I'm in need of a little input. A friend of my wife has asked me to photograph their wedding, which I've never done before, and I'm in no way shape or form a "pro." I took their engagement photos and she liked them enough to ask me to do their wedding.

Not sure what equipment I'll need to take/rent/borrow.

This is what I've got
Nikon D5100
35mm f/1.8g
50mm f/1.8g
SB-400 speed light
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
55-200mm f/4-5.6G

I could most likely borrow another D5100, or possibly a D90. I know I'll need at least another battery or two for my D5100.

Any help would be appreciated.

A mode is best mode. I still use A mode even for landscapes.

Hehe. I find myself using A mode really often, but if I'm on the move I'll set it to auto instead, because I know that I don't have the time to stop and make setting changes. I'd rather have a usable shot than no shot.

(._.)

Banned
I'm in need of a little input. A friend of my wife has asked me to photograph their wedding, which I've never done before, and I'm in no way shape or form a "pro." I took their engagement photos and she liked them enough to ask me to do their wedding.

This is what I've got
Nikon D5100
35mm f/1.8g
50mm f/1.8g
SB-400 speed light
55-200mm f/4-5.6G

I could most likely borrow another D5100, or possibly a D90. I know I'll need at least another battery or two for my D5100.

I'm guessing wedding photographers mostly use midrange zooms?

buy this :B

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290920598074?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'm in need of a little input. A friend of my wife has asked me to photograph their wedding, which I've never done before, and I'm in no way shape or form a "pro." I took their engagement photos and she liked them enough to ask me to do their wedding. [...]

I just did one for friends, don't do it.
Actually, it went OK. I set their expectations low. Still high-stress. I will try very hard to never do it again.

What's the venue? Can you use a strobe during the ceremony if it's indoors? Go to the venue beforehand and find out where you can stand and what lenses give you what framing/field-of-view.

Know how your camera works. Chimp with the histogram and adjust.

I rented a 24-70mm f/2.8 for my D600. I think the 17-55mm f/2.8 is the one you want for your D5100 if you need a zoom.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

This is what I've got
Nikon D5100
35mm f/1.8g
50mm f/1.8g
SB-400 speed light
55-200mm f/4-5.6G

I'm just recovering from my own daughter's wedding last week (which she insisted I did not take my camera to). But here's a quick guess at what works.

1) The formal stuff. Bride'n'groom/family shots and all that stuff. Usually done at the reception. Check out the venue ahead of time and at the right time of day so you can check out the light (ours was at a canal bank with narrowboats and bridges and early evening with good light). If you get the position and direction right - and avoid stray dogs in the background, you probably won't need any fancy kit.

2) The church. Don't use flash. Check with the priest/vicar first, he'll know where the best position is. Crank up ISO if you need to. Capture the right moments, it is more about timing than about lighting.

3) The Reception. Go informal. Single prime lens. Photograph everyone in the first hour while they are sober. Leave the later stuff to everyone's iphones. After the first hour put your camera down and enjoy the party.

4) If you can, grab some shots of the preparation - decorating the church/laying out the reception/dressing the bride/sobering up the groom and so on.

In terms of lenses, I'd take the 50mm as a walkround and the 55-200 for (a) at about 100mm for formal portrait stuff and (b) about 200mm for candids in the aftermath of the reception.

tino

Banned
Rent the 17-55/2.8 and a good flash for the wedding. Ideally you want a second remote flash with a Gary Fong diffuser (because they are very fool proof).

Forget about changing lens. You have no time. You can carry a second camera with a 50/1.4 type lens to shoot the ring and other special items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom