• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

luoapp

Can't decide between Olympus XZ-1 and Panasonic LX7.

Which one do you guys recommend?

XZ-1 has the best image quality in the class, and it can go up against most of the $400-500 class, and entry level DSLRs. But its video function is the worst. I am not exaggerating on both cases.

It was ZX1, not ZX2. There was alos a deal on groupon yesterday for LX7 at $280 (used)...missed it.

How's Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60K compared to LX7 and ZX1?

They're different kinds of cameras. The FZ60 is a superzoom bridge camera; the ZX1 and LX7 are high-end compacts. If you need the 24X zoom, get the FZ60. If you want a smaller camera with decent capabilities, get the LX7/ZX1.

popeutlal

They're different kinds of cameras. The FZ60 is a superzoom bridge camera; the ZX1 and LX7 are high-end compacts. If you need the 24X zoom, get the FZ60. If you want a smaller camera with decent capabilities, get the LX7/ZX1.
What about low light conditions in FZ60? I know the other two have great low light ablities but not that great of zoom.

Is there a budget came with great zoom and low light capabilities?

Now I'm conflicted

I got an email for an offer on a factory refurbished Nikon D5100 and 18-55mm kit lens for 429.

I'm waiting on the D7000 hoping that it might drop more as they phase it out.

What would you do? Take the refurbished D5100 or wait and get the D7000?

Thraktor

What about low light conditions in FZ60? I know the other two have great low light ablities but not that great of zoom.

Is there a budget came with great zoom and low light capabilities?

Low light performance is generally pretty terrible on superzooms, due to the need to use a small sensor and narrow aperture to achieve such long zoom ranges.

So is J1 a better deal than LX7?

Groupon still has a deal on LX7 for $250, but its used http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pan...7_0&sid=U8txxr2iEeKAusZSIP-VjANrn_KumY3_0_0_0

Wonder should I go for this of $300 new from Amazon.

Are you going to buy the $250 50mm equivalent 1.8 or 85mm equivalent 1.2 primes? If not, buy the LX7. It's a great camera that hits all the right notes in an enthusiast compact (fast aperture, great lens, 24-mm equivalent wide angle, great video) except for having a smaller sensor.

Flo_Evans

Why is that?

I mean what I do like about the D7000 is the dual memory cards, the U1/U2 saved settings, and the built in internal focus motor.

Would you think those 3 things warrant the 400$ higher price tag?

Its not just that, better AF, more controls, higher build quality, weather sealing, better viewfinder, better rear LCD, top LCD (some people find it useless but I like having it), expandable with a battery grip, more FPS, more bracketing/interval options, nikon wireless speed light control, higher shutter speed, higher flash sync speed...

It is a way better camera.

Its not just that, better AF, more controls, higher build quality, weather sealing, better viewfinder, better rear LCD, top LCD (some people find it useless but I like having it), expandable with a battery grip, more FPS, more bracketing/interval options, nikon wireless speed light control, higher shutter speed, higher flash sync speed...

It is a way better camera.

Damn, you make a good argument.

I just thought for that price the D5100 was a bargain.

popeutlal

Sorry to keep asking this, but what about Samsung EX2f compared to LX7? They both have f/1.4 lens, both are the same price on amazon.

Thanks.

bideogamer

Neo Member
So I'm looking into an upgrade (sidegrade?) from a T2i on a T2i budget. Video is an expensive venture if you really want something quality. (Follow focus, stable rig, etc.) So I've given up with bideo. (Oh dear god, my wallet weeps for that Blackmagic Cinema Pocket camera though.)

So things I've been looking for:
Not 1.6 crop frame.
Larger viewfinder.
Better build quality.
Better dynamic range. (Not sure if this is true for the cameras I'm about to mention.
Better image quality in general. (MP isn't a big deal to me.

So far I've looked at the 5D Classic and the 1D Mark IIn and am having a hard time with it.
On one hand, the 5D has that full frame goodness but it lacks the incredible build of the 1 series. (I held a film Canon EOS 1N and I fell in love.) On the other hand the 1D has great autofocus, crazy FPS and DAT BOD. But not thrilled about the 1.3x crop and large size. (I skipped arms day.)

Anyone here shooting these legacy beasts? Or should I save for a year or so to get a 5D Mark II?

popeutlal

Thanks guys, I will now be an owner of LX7...in about a month or two.

Delivery Estimate: Thursday June 13, 2013 - Tuesday July 2, 2013 by 8:00pm

Cyklops

Neo Member
Reposting this from a thread no one replied to, but I was wondering about something. I have recently come across the opportunity to purchase the NEX-7, and I've just entered photography. Do you guys think NEX-7 is a good purchase if I have the cash, or some other camera at entry-level?

Reposting this from a thread no one replied to, but I was wondering about something. I have recently come across the opportunity to purchase the NEX-7, and I've just entered photography. Do you guys think NEX-7 is a good purchase if I have the cash, or some other camera at entry-level?

There are countless good cameras on the market, in every price segment, each of them has strengths and weaknesses and you can spend all your free time with comparisons of hundreds of details and features.

Thus said, the NEX7 is a really great camera. You do nothing wrong with it. You will be able to shoot very satisfying pics with it. But it will of course take some time to learn the basic rules of exposure and composition if you really just entered the wonderful world of photography. This is the actual fun!

What I'm trying to say? It's about photos, not so much about the gear imo. NEX7 is very good. The viewfinder is fantastic and the operation is pleasant enough.
Just google "flickr Nex7" and you will have a quick idea what is possible.

tino

Banned

90% of the interchangable cameras on the market are good purchase. NEX-7 is not a beginner camera. You can use it as one if you want to.

It is a great choice, no matter where you're starting from, but do also take a look at the NEX-6 if you don't need the extra megapixels and would love better AF. Oh, and a hot shoe that you can actually use.

Remember that you do not have to use the camera in the same way as anyone else - every person have a different "comfort zone", so to speak. Some people might be the kind that uses full manual for everything, while others swear by the camera's decisions. The NEX series would accommodate almost every level of user (and it'll help out a bit), so you're good to go.

As for the kit lens, don't let others convince you to forego the 16-50mm power zoom if you end up getting the 6 instead of the 7 - it's non-standard for a camera with full controls, but it is very pocket-able, and it's much easier to actually use your camera when you can actually bring it with you for almost every situation. That's basically the only pancake zoom you can find in the NEX system.

Don't shoot RAW if you don't know what to do. I don't, because I almost never got RAW processing "right", and I prefer instant gratification.

Donos

I read alot comparisons for 1855 vs 1650 lenses (on german forums) and the 1650 seems to be in the ballpark of the 1855 but damn the 1650 is really "small" compared to the 1855 when the camera is powered of.

If you want your Nex 5,6 or 7 with fexibility of a zoom but still small enough for jacketpockets then it's the best choice. Tried it for a while in a store and find the build quality good.

I have the 35f1.8 and the 1650 on top of my "buy-when-you-have-money-again" list although the 1855 kit is still good for a beginner (like me).

Size comparison (only in german)

Supporting Cuteness Overload's suggestion, here is a good test of the NEX-6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgbD9qmRB2g&NR=1&feature=endscreen

I almost got the NEX6 over the 5N i have now but the price difference and an awesome deal on the 5N made me pick up the 5N instead. Also my gf would have killed me.
Played around with the Fuji XE1 from a friend and this camera is also awesome.

Danj

I was directed here from another thread, I'm basically looking for a camera or camcorder device which meets the following criteria:

• Is available in the UK (e.g. from sites like Amazon UK, Argos, Currys etcetera)
  • Costs £300 or less (around £200 would be preferable so there is some money left over for accessories)
  • Can record 1080p video
  • Allows some way to transfer videos to Youtube without a computer (e.g. directly via wifi, tethered via a smartphone, or via using a microSD card in a smartphone)

I found a special offer for £214.80 on the Samsung Galaxy Camera which would meet all those criteria, I was just wondering if anyone has any impressions of it?

Failing that, has anyone got any other recommendations? I did look at the Canon Legria HF R36/R37/R38 but they require an iPhone for tethered upload via smartphone, my phone is an Android phone (Sony Xperia Z). I don't want to use my phone to shoot the video because a) the quality from a proper camera should be better and b) in the scenario I have in mind I will be using the phone for microblogging.

tino

Banned
I was directed here from another thread, I'm basically looking for a camera or camcorder device which meets the following criteria:

• Is available in the UK (e.g. from sites like Amazon UK, Argos, Currys etcetera)
  • Costs £300 or less (around £200 would be preferable so there is some money left over for accessories)
  • Can record 1080p video
  • Allows some way to transfer videos to Youtube without a computer (e.g. directly via wifi, tethered via a smartphone, or via using a microSD card in a smartphone)

I found a special offer for £214.80 on the Samsung Galaxy Camera which would meet all those criteria, I was just wondering if anyone has any impressions of it?

Failing that, has anyone got any other recommendations? I did look at the Canon Legria HF R36/R37/R38 but they require an iPhone for tethered upload via smartphone, my phone is an Android phone (Sony Xperia Z). I don't want to use my phone to shoot the video because a) the quality from a proper camera should be better and b) in the scenario I have in mind I will be using the phone for microblogging.

If all you care about is youtube quality that Android camera seem to be a sensible option. You can do nonlinear editing and upload on the camera.

Danj

If all you care about is youtube quality that Android camera seem to be a sensible option. You can do nonlinear editing and upload on the camera.

Yeah, I'm not going to be authoring Blurays with this material or anything, the video's final destination is going to be 1080p Youtube content, and the connectivity and Android app options on the Galaxy Camera make it an attractive proposition for that.

Donos

Yeah, I'm not going to be authoring Blurays with this material or anything, the video's final destination is going to be 1080p Youtube content, and the connectivity and Android app options on the Galaxy Camera make it an attractive proposition for that.

Another possibility could be a Wi-Fi SD card http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UT42UI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Get yourself a good camera and such a Wi-Fi SD Card and you can upload videos and pics with a smartphone adhoc or wifi. Heard of this only two days ago and was suprised what is already possible.

Danj

Another possibility could be a Wi-Fi SD card http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UT42UI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Get yourself a good camera and such a Wi-Fi SD Card and you can upload videos and pics with a smartphone adhoc or wifi. Heard of this only two days ago and was suprised what is already possible.

Two potential issues with that:

1. 8GB is kinda small if you're talking about 1080p HD videos, even ones that are only Youtube grade.
  2. Don't you need to use a computer to configure these? Can you configure them in an environment where the target wifi network is not present? The whole idea is to avoid having to lug my laptop along to panels etc.

Donos

Two potential issues with that:

1. 8GB is kinda small if you're talking about 1080p HD videos, even ones that are only Youtube grade.
  2. Don't you need to use a computer to configure these? Can you configure them in an environment where the target wifi network is not present? The whole idea is to avoid having to lug my laptop along to panels etc.

1. yeah , still, 8 GB lasts for 40 min 1080p, 4 GB for 20 min http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/03/electronics/aplus/sandisk/Eye-Fi-Matrix-DE.gif
2. from the Amazon description:
Direct Mode: Instant Uploads Anywhere

Wouldn't it be nice to have your photos on your smartphone, tablet or laptop right away? With Eye-Fi's Direct Mode you can. The Eye-Fi card will instantly send your full resolutions photos & videos directly to your smartphone, tablet or laptop. Using the free Eye-Fi mobile app, enjoy instant uploads from anywhere your camera takes you.

And even cooler: If you are not near one of your designated wireless networks, the Eye-Fi card will create its own Wi-Fi network on the fly. No kidding. So go ahead--climb to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite, capture those amazing views and instantly transfer them to your smartphone or tablet. Shoot and share while you’re there.

Like Tino said, if your only focus is the Video/upload function then the Galaxy is maybe the best thing for you. The special offer seems rather good. Make sure there is a proper return policy if you don't like it.

There are other cameras with the wireless upload feature but they are in another price range but are "also" good cameras:
Lumix DMC-GH3
Sony NEX-6 (also with Apps)
Olympus XZ-2

Danj

Yeah 40 minutes isn't going to cut it. I want to use this for recording panels at conventions; they're scheduled to run an hour, but they often overrun, plus there's also sometimes two back-to-back.

Like Tino said, if your only focus is the Video/upload function then the Galaxy is maybe the best thing for you. The special offer seems rather good. Make sure there is a proper return policy if you don't like it.

There are other cameras with the wireless upload feature but they are in another price range but are "also" good cameras:
Lumix DMC-GH3
Sony NEX-6 (also with Apps)
Olympus XZ-2

Yeah I've bought stuff from Viking before, they're cool. As for those other cameras, they're kinda out of my price range.

Donos

No they are really really slow.

Like i said, i encountered these cards only two days ago. Started reading the Amazon reviews and already can see that they have their weaknesses. Still suprised what is possible today. It was not a prompt to get one, just wanted to throw it into the discussion.

Another thing, what are good free alternatives to Lightroom ? Want to dip my nose into RAW editing but don't want to fork out 80€ before seeing what is possible with RAWs. Edit: Nvm. Downloading Lightroom 4 trial.

alterno69

Banned
Can i trigger a canon 430 flash with a 430ex II? I bought a couple of yungnuo 622 radios, i use one on my camera and the other on the EX II, i thought i could trigger the other flash as a slave but it doesn't work. Is it not possible or am i doing something wrong?

Lumix

Can i trigger a canon 430 flash with a 430ex II? I bought a couple of yungnuo 622 radios, i use one on my camera and the other on the EX II, i thought i could trigger the other flash as a slave but it doesn't work. Is it not possible or am i doing something wrong?

The 430EX II can only trigger as a slave. I think both work with the ST-E2 fine, not so sure about that Yongnuo.
How are your parameters at the moment?

Iacobellis

Is it possible to manually control the shutter speed and ISO in movie mode on the D3100/D3200 line? I've read a few tutorials online that involve using Aperture-Priority mode and Auto ISO, but it never works for me. Each video still comes real grainy.

Flo_Evans

Is it possible to manually control the shutter speed and ISO in movie mode on the D3100/D3200 line? I've read a few tutorials online that involve using Aperture-Priority mode and Auto ISO, but it never works for me. Each video still comes real grainy.

You have to enable it through the shooting menu for some strange reason. Should be shooting menu > movie settings > manual movie mode on/off.

Keep in mind you must set the aperture before entering live view.

Yeah 40 minutes isn't going to cut it. I want to use this for recording panels at conventions; they're scheduled to run an hour, but they often overrun, plus there's also sometimes two back-to-back.

Yeah I've bought stuff from Viking before, they're cool. As for those other cameras, they're kinda out of my price range.

If you need to record long conferences you need a video camera. Most photo cameras that do video are limited to 20mins a file for reasons.

A hacked firmware can usually remove this limits but I would check and make sure it's possible.

Iacobellis

You have to enable it through the shooting menu for some strange reason. Should be shooting menu > movie settings > manual movie mode on/off.

Keep in mind you must set the aperture before entering live view.

Yeah, the aperture I can figure out. At this point, I'm just contemplating getting a second Canon body to use exclusively for videos.

Danj

At this point I'm thinking I should just give up on the Youtube-upload-without-a-computer requirement and just settle for the best HD camcorder I can afford.

Anyone got any recommendations for an HD camcorder that a) takes SDXC cards b) costs less than £300 and c) records really well in 1080p, for up to, say, 2 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom