• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the input guys. The wedding is taking place outside, in/near an orchard and the reception is indoors in barn/shop type building, so I'm not sure what the lighting will be like.

Rent the 17-55/2.8 and a good flash for the wedding. Ideally you want a second remote flash with a Gary Fong diffuser (because they are very fool proof).

Just a note: if you don't know how to do remote flash, two days before the wedding is not the time to learn (I have no idea how much time until the wedding). Everything you do should be familiar.

Forget about changing lens. You have no time.

During the ceremony, absolutely. I think the reception will depend on what's going on. I had time during the reception to change lenses. I kept thinking I was going to bean people with the 28-70mm, so I switched to my 35mm f/2, and used my manual focus 105mm f/2.5 for the speech-givers and magician.

tino

Banned
The whole purpose of a $1700 24-70mm/2.8 is to use in the events like weddings.

Of course, if your friend is not paying you respectable rate you can do whatever you want. Just shoot with the gears and style you enjoy.

So I'm selling my 85mm 1.2L USM II lens. I decided to part with it because I mainly shoot video with my DLSR, not photo and as much as this is easily the nicest glass I have ever used, it simply spends too much time on a shelf for my needs.

I'm planning on selling it for about 1600 and I'm thinking about getting a 35mm and 85mm 1.4 and 1.8 to replace it, along with some other things I could use.

VT_Brian

Neo Member
So I was checking the open box sale at Best Buy and they have an RX-100 for $325 without a battery. Seems pretty scratch free. I think I can get another 10% off of that, so about 360 total once the battery price is factored in.

Should I jump on it?

tino

Banned
So I was checking the open box sale at Best Buy and they have an RX-100 for $325 without a battery. Seems pretty scratch free. I think I can get another 10% off of that, so about 360 total once the battery price is factored in.

Should I jump on it?

Sure, Best Buy has good return policy.

So people are allowed to return camera to BB without battery? SMH.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Should I jump on it?

Shoot I'd grab that in a heartbeat, hell if you buy it and dont like it PM me and ill buy it off you so long as it works.

VT_Brian

Neo Member
Sure, Best Buy has good return policy.

So people are allowed to return camera to BB without battery? SMH.

I'm not sure if someone returned it or it was a demo unit.

Shoot I'd grab that in a heartbeat, hell if you buy it and dont like it PM me and ill buy it off you so long as it works.

Thanks guys, I'll try to get it tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will still be there.

tino

Banned
This, much cheaper to replace a filter than a lens.

I had filters on my first two lenses. And then I stopped using the filter.

The only time I did damage the my lens was when I tried to skate and shoot at the same time (what was I thinking?)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Do you guys put any filters on your lenses?

I think i'm going to buy some just for protection against drops.

Just to protect the lens mostly.
smh. stop it. no. You don't need a freaking filter to protect your lens.

this may mortify some of you, but for 3 years now, I dont even put lens caps on my lenses when their in my bag. They just get in the way when i need to switch lenses. Number of lenses i've ruined: 0

Want to protect your lens, and take better photos at the same time? Put the lens hood on it.

Damaged

Does anybody have any experience with the Sigma 2.8f 24-70mm on Nikon? Im looking to use it with a D7000 to replace my nikkor 35mm 1.8d and 50mm 1.4d, I know it wont be as sharp as those two but I'm getting tired of lugging a bag full of primes about all the time.

I also know that the nikkor 24-70 2.8 would be the best replacement but the weight and cost of it just puts me off

tino

Banned
The problem of using the hood to protect the lens is that you can't use the buildin flash for full flash anymore.

So if you go out with your family you can argue the UV filter is more useful than the hood. Sometimes I just say fuck it and go naked.

Jzero

What are your guy's favorite type of camera bag? I can't decide between a backpack or bag
I know it's more of a personal preference type of thing but i really can't decide and they're the same price.

What are your guy's favorite type of camera bag? I can't decide between a backpack or bag
I know it's more of a personal preference type of thing but i really can't decide and they're the same price.

I have multiple bags for multiple occasions. My main bag is the F-Stop Kenti. My day bag for lighter expeditions is the Domke F-6.

Jzero

I have multiple bags for multiple occasions. My main bag is the F-Stop Kenti. My day bag for lighter expeditions is the Domke F-6.

Yea that's true i'll probably end up getting both of the ones i mentioned eventually. Now i have to choose which one to buy first.

(._.)

Banned
Do you guys put any filters on your lenses?

I think i'm going to buy some just for protection against drops.
I use a hoya polarizer when there is natural light. Costed $100

Get the largest filter and adapters so you dont have to buy multiple.

RuGalz

Get the largest filter and adapters so you dont have to buy multiple.

Doesn't really work so well if you plan to use hood.

Yea that's true i'll probably end up getting both of the ones i mentioned eventually. Now i have to choose which one to buy first.

It really just depends on your travel style and what you carry most of the time. I like messenger bag for street especially I can have it in front of me when needed in crowded area in case of theft.

Chairhome

After months of wanting it, I finally bought a Samyang 35mm F/1.4. I love it so far. Anyone have any advice on Focus Confirm chips? I'm thinking of getting either a Dandelion or Optix. Right now just using Magic Lantern Focus Peaking.

Omni

Not really equipment related but..

Today I had some photos printed at the camera store down the road for me. They were $10 each and I needed 10 of them printed for my uni assignment (would usually do it at uni myself, but didn't have the time). When I got the photos back however, they had a green tint to them (were supposed to be black and white). Is there any way to adjust for this with my original images? If it were a case of them being too dark I could fix it easily... But green? I don't even know.

Weird thing is that the colour images I had printed for personal use turned out great.

I've got the cash to do one more bunch, I just don't know how to adjust accordingly.

VT_Brian

Neo Member
Ended up picking up that RX-100 for about $300. Despite Best Buy's claims, it actually did have a battery. Only one small scratch on the screen that is not visible in normal use.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Not really equipment related but..

Today I had some photos printed at the camera store down the road for me. They were $10 each and I needed 10 of them printed for my uni assignment (would usually do it at uni myself, but didn't have the time). When I got the photos back however, they had a green tint to them (were supposed to be black and white). Is there any way to adjust for this with my original images? If it were a case of them being too dark I could fix it easily... But green? I don't even know.

Weird thing is that the colour images I had printed for personal use turned out great.

I've got the cash to do one more bunch, I just don't know how to adjust accordingly.
Yes. In short, they should be able to tell you what printer and paper they're using, you can then download that profile and do soft proofing. Or if they're nice they could just give you the profile. If they say what profile when you ask, run, don't walk, from the store and never return.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ended up picking up that RX-100 for about $300. Despite Best Buy's claims, it actually did have a battery. Only one small scratch on the screen that is not visible in normal use.

Congrats, you got your self an amazing camera for that price.

paskowitz

GAF I need suggestions for a tripod under hundred and $150.

If there's a super cheap tripod anyone recommends that would be good as well.

I can vouch for this one, great construction, the head is way stronger then it looks when locked down (held a 5D with a heavy lens like a champ, though was just testing it).

its also super solid feeling but very light. Love the way the plate locks in too.

definitely. was completely surprised. I have a great studio tripod but this is my carry around version.

Tekniqs

Hey guys... So the used d7000 has 2556 actuation, comes with the kit lens, filters and tripod, bag for 750...read back and someone posted about the d7000 should be coming down in price soon because of the d7100..should I bite or wait?

tino

Banned
Hey guys... So the used d7000 has 2556 actuation, comes with the kit lens, filters and tripod, bag for 750...read back and someone posted about the d7000 should be coming down in price soon because of the d7100..should I bite or wait?

If the guy is quitting Nikon, i.e. He barely used the gear, then yes. If he is upgrading the body meaning he used the camera alot then no.

The kit lens and all the other crap worth about 80 in the used world, you can go to ebay and figure out the market price of an used D7000.

The D7100 is already out so there is no such thing as the value of the D7000 taking a dive in the future.

AcridMeat

Banned
Hey guys, I was hoping to find the best bang for your buck point & shoot camera. I have a DSLR already, what I'd like is something compact for traveling, without having to take the dslr.

I'd like to spend ~$100 on the camera itself, because I need to get rechargeable batteries/charger and memory for it as well.

Here's a few I've found in looking briefly on Amazon.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX50

Canon PowerShot A2300

Canon PowerShot A1300

edit: Maybe not the right thread, but the first I remembered.

Radec

Can't wait to try this combo soon..

Sigma-30mm-f1.4-DC-HSM-lens-for-Nikon-4.jpg

(._.)

Banned
Is it smarter to buy a x100 used than a new x100s? I mean if I was gonna buy new I would get the x100s because it's only $100 more but I can get an x100 on craigslist for just a little more than $600. Also does anybody own an XE-1, thoughts on it compared to the x100? Fuji just added in a nice rebate deal on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom